Difficulty with attachments with .psnxml extension - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Difficulty with attachments with .psnxml extension - Mozilla ; psnxml identifies the file as xml "belonging" to Post-it Notes, the 3-M application that manages "sticky notes" on the desktop. The psnxml extension and application are properly registered and work fine together outside of TB. If I receive a PSnote ...

  1. Difficulty with attachments with .psnxml extension

    psnxml identifies the file as xml "belonging" to Post-it Notes, the 3-M
    application that manages "sticky notes" on the desktop. The psnxml
    extension and application are properly registered and work fine together
    outside of TB. If I receive a PSnote as an attachment in an email, it
    comes as a .psnxml attachment. If I save it or drag it to my desktop,
    it shows up on the desktop with the correct icon and, when
    double-clicked, opens with the correct application and all the (xml)
    data present is processed (producing a the note on my desktop).

    But inside TB, in the attachments window, it (the psnxml attachment)
    shows up with the wrong icon (looks like Wordpad, I think --- a text
    file, in any event). Interestingly, when the icon is doubleclicked
    there (inside TB) the correct (Post-it Notes) program is in fact called
    (not a text file processor) but it opens a new, blank sticky note on the
    desktop. Seems as if, although the correct application is called, it
    does not receive the actual content of the psnxml file (and there's
    still the presumably related question of why is the icon different
    inside TB than everywhere else?) All other file types that I've gotten
    so far as attachments work just fine --- they show up inside the TB
    attachments window with the correct icons and pass the file data
    correctly to the application when it is opened by doubleclicking the
    attachment. psnxml ia the only application/extension to behave oddly

    If I use Eudora to open that email, it works properly. It too displays
    the psnxml file as an attachment, but when I double click it there
    (inside Eudora), the application receives the psnxml data and processes
    it normally (producing the note on the desktop, complete with text,
    alarms, etc etc). So the problem almost certainly lies within
    Thunderbird somewhere. Although this is hardly a critical issue (merely
    dragging the note to the desktop from TB rather than doubleclicking it
    "in place" gives me what I need), it would be nice to have psnxml files
    work from inside TB as other attachment types do; any suggestions would
    be much appreciated.

  2. Re: Difficulty with attachments with .psnxml extension

    Matt Jaffe wrote:

    > psnxml identifies the file as xml "belonging" to Post-it Notes, the 3-M
    > application that manages "sticky notes" on the desktop. The psnxml
    > extension and application are properly registered and work fine together
    > outside of TB. If I receive a PSnote as an attachment in an email, it
    > comes as a .psnxml attachment. If I save it or drag it to my desktop,
    > it shows up on the desktop with the correct icon and, when
    > double-clicked, opens with the correct application and all the (xml)
    > data present is processed (producing a the note on my desktop).
    >
    > But inside TB, in the attachments window, it (the psnxml attachment)
    > shows up with the wrong icon (looks like Wordpad, I think --- a text
    > file, in any event). Interestingly, when the icon is doubleclicked
    > there (inside TB) the correct (Post-it Notes) program is in fact called
    > (not a text file processor) but it opens a new, blank sticky note on the
    > desktop. Seems as if, although the correct application is called, it
    > does not receive the actual content of the psnxml file (and there's
    > still the presumably related question of why is the icon different
    > inside TB than everywhere else?) All other file types that I've gotten
    > so far as attachments work just fine --- they show up inside the TB
    > attachments window with the correct icons and pass the file data
    > correctly to the application when it is opened by doubleclicking the
    > attachment. psnxml ia the only application/extension to behave oddly
    >
    > If I use Eudora to open that email, it works properly. It too displays
    > the psnxml file as an attachment, but when I double click it there
    > (inside Eudora), the application receives the psnxml data and processes
    > it normally (producing the note on the desktop, complete with text,
    > alarms, etc etc). So the problem almost certainly lies within
    > Thunderbird somewhere. Although this is hardly a critical issue (merely
    > dragging the note to the desktop from TB rather than doubleclicking it
    > "in place" gives me what I need), it would be nice to have psnxml files
    > work from inside TB as other attachment types do; any suggestions would
    > be much appreciated.

    goto Tools>Options>Attachments>View & Edit actions.
    if any 'psnxml' related entry is there then delete that
    Restart TB and check.
    if no such entry is there:
    completely close TB
    goto Tb profile folder ["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Thunderbird"]
    rename 'mimeTypes.rdf' file mimeTypes.rdf.1
    start TB

  3. Re: Difficulty with attachments with .psnxml extension

    Nir,

    Thank you for your assistance so far, but I am unhappy to report that
    renaming my mimeTypes.rdf file per your instructions (which I had also
    seen in the KnowledgeBase or somewhere on the web) has had no effect;
    the same symptoms persist. Have you any other suggestions for me to try?

+ Reply to Thread