Unable to change identity settings - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Unable to change identity settings - Mozilla ; I am unable to change the identity settings for how individual identities handle quoted material. I want to use top posting and signature for Emails but it will not change when I edit the identity. Is there a global setting ...

  1. Unable to change identity settings

    I am unable to change the identity settings for how individual
    identities handle quoted material. I want to use top posting and
    signature for Emails but it will not change when I edit the identity.
    Is there a global setting that is overriding my attempts to edit the
    individual identity settings.
    --
    Tom Horne

  2. Re: Unable to change identity settings

    Tom Horne wrote:
    > I am unable to change the identity settings for how individual
    > identities handle quoted material. I want to use top posting and
    > signature for Emails but it will not change when I edit the identity.
    > Is there a global setting that is overriding my attempts to edit the
    > individual identity settings.

    Tools>Account Settings>(That Account which you want to modify ).
    Check ' Attach this signature' option and choose your sig. for that account
    also click on ' Composition & Addressing ' (under that account).
    check 'Automatically quote the original message within reply ' option
    and click on drop-down menu and select 'Start my reply above the quote'

    Restart TB and check

  3. Re: Unable to change identity settings

    Nir wrote:
    > Tom Horne wrote:
    >> I am unable to change the identity settings for how individual
    >> identities handle quoted material. I want to use top posting and
    >> signature for Emails but it will not change when I edit the identity.
    >> Is there a global setting that is overriding my attempts to edit the
    >> individual identity settings.

    > Tools>Account Settings>(That Account which you want to modify ).
    > Check ' Attach this signature' option and choose your sig. for that account
    > also click on ' Composition & Addressing ' (under that account).
    > check 'Automatically quote the original message within reply ' option
    > and click on drop-down menu and select 'Start my reply above the quote'
    >
    > Restart TB and check

    I've attempted that a number of times. TB does not accept the settings
    change. Do you have any idea why?
    --
    Tom Horne

  4. Re: Unable to change identity settings

    Tom Horne wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> Tom Horne wrote:
    >>> I am unable to change the identity settings for how individual
    >>> identities handle quoted material. I want to use top posting and
    >>> signature for Emails but it will not change when I edit the
    >>> identity. Is there a global setting that is overriding my
    >>> attempts to edit the individual identity settings.

    >> Tools>Account Settings>(That Account which you want to modify ).
    >> Check ' Attach this signature' option and choose your sig. for that
    >> account also click on ' Composition & Addressing ' (under that
    >> account). check 'Automatically quote the original message within
    >> reply ' option and click on drop-down menu and select 'Start my
    >> reply above the quote'
    >>
    >> Restart TB and check

    > I've attempted that a number of times. TB does not accept the
    > settings change. Do you have any idea why? -- Tom Horne

    completely close TB
    goto TB profile folder
    [http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Thunderbird]
    set 'prefs.js' file permission to 'read and write'

  5. Re: Unable to change identity settings

    Nir wrote:
    > Tom Horne wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Tools>Account Settings>(That Account which you want to modify ).
    >>> Check ' Attach this signature' option and choose your sig. for that
    >>> account also click on ' Composition & Addressing ' (under that
    >>> account). check 'Automatically quote the original message within
    >>> reply ' option and click on drop-down menu and select 'Start my
    >>> reply above the quote'
    >>>
    >>> Restart TB and check

    >> I've attempted that a number of times. TB does not accept the
    >> settings change. Do you have any idea why? -- Tom Horne

    > completely close TB
    > goto TB profile folder
    > [http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Thunderbird]
    > set 'prefs.js' file permission to 'read and write'

    Nir
    First let me say thank you for taking the time to try to help me. I'm
    very grateful for your efforts.
    I don't mean to be dense but I cannot find that line in the config file.
    I went to
    "Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor (button)" and
    I could not find the line that contains that property. Any help you
    could offer would be grately appreciated.
    --
    Tom Horne

  6. Re: Unable to change identity settings

    Nir wrote:
    > Tom Horne wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:

    >>> completely close TB goto TB profile folder
    >>> [http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Thunderbird] set 'prefs.js' file
    >>> permission to 'read and write'

    >> Nir First let me say thank you for taking the time to try to help me.
    >> I'm very grateful for your efforts. I don't mean to be dense but I
    >> cannot find that line in the config file. I went to "Tools -> Options
    >> -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor (button)" and I could not
    >> find the line that contains that property. Any help you could offer
    >> would be grately appreciated. -- Tom Horne

    > 'prefs.js' is actually a 'file' , not a 'Preference' and its located
    > within your Thunderbird profile folder
    > most probably , in its file property , 'prefs.js' file is 'read-only' .
    >
    > so completely close TB
    > goto your profile folder
    >
    > your profile folder is generally located at :
    >
    > Windows 95/98/Me C:\Windows\Application
    > Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\\
    > Windows 95/98/Me, alternate C:\Windows\Profiles\ > name>\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\\
    >
    > Windows NT 4.x C:\Winnt\Profiles\\Application
    > Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\\
    >
    > Windows 2000 and XP C:\Documents and Settings\ > name>\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\\
    >
    > you can find it in another way : goto
    > Tools>Options>Advanced>General>Config Editor.
    > type 'mail.root.none' in filter.
    > value of this preference holds the path of your profile folder
    >
    > right click on 'prefs.js' file , set its file-access property to 'read
    > and write' ( most probably in window , it is done by unchecking
    > 'read-only' option in file property )

    Thanks again for your help. The file property refuses to change. I
    uncheck the read only box but the next time I look at the properties it
    is checked again. Any more thoughts?
    --
    Tom Horne

  7. Re: Unable to change identity settings

    Tom Horne wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> Tom Horne wrote:

    >>> Nir First let me say thank you for taking the time to try to help me.
    >>> I'm very grateful for your efforts. I don't mean to be dense but I
    >>> cannot find that line in the config file. I went to "Tools -> Options
    >>> -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor (button)" and I could not
    >>> find the line that contains that property. Any help you could offer
    >>> would be grately appreciated. -- Tom Horne

    >> 'prefs.js' is actually a 'file' , not a 'Preference' and its located
    >> within your Thunderbird profile folder
    >> most probably , in its file property , 'prefs.js' file is 'read-only' .
    >>
    >> so completely close TB
    >> goto your profile folder
    >>
    >> your profile folder is generally located at :
    >>
    >> Windows 95/98/Me C:\Windows\Application
    >> Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\\
    >> Windows 95/98/Me, alternate C:\Windows\Profiles\ >> name>\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\\
    >>
    >> Windows NT 4.x C:\Winnt\Profiles\ >> name>\Application
    >> Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\\
    >>
    >> Windows 2000 and XP C:\Documents and Settings\ >> name>\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\\
    >>
    >> you can find it in another way : goto
    >> Tools>Options>Advanced>General>Config Editor.
    >> type 'mail.root.none' in filter.
    >> value of this preference holds the path of your profile folder
    >>
    >> right click on 'prefs.js' file , set its file-access property to 'read
    >> and write' ( most probably in window , it is done by unchecking
    >> 'read-only' option in file property )

    > Thanks again for your help. The file property refuses to change. I
    > uncheck the read only box but the next time I look at the properties it
    > is checked again. Any more thoughts?

    are you using NTFS file system ?
    have you logged in that computer as Administrator ?
    can you change read-only property of profile folder ?

+ Reply to Thread