German dictionary without umlaut - Mozilla

This is a discussion on German dictionary without umlaut - Mozilla ; Hello! I would like to use a German dictionary for my Thunderbird inline spelling that does not use the proper umlauts (, , , ...) but instead uses its ascii substitutes (ae, oe, ue, ...). Is there a dictionary like ...

  1. German dictionary without umlaut

    Hello!

    I would like to use a German dictionary for my Thunderbird inline
    spelling that does not use
    the proper umlauts (, , , ...) but instead uses its ascii
    substitutes (ae, oe, ue, ...). Is there
    a dictionary like this out there that I can include? Or what can I do
    to make it work?

    I'm using a US keyboard and always switching to the international
    keyboards starts to be a bit
    annoying for me.

    BTW, is there a shortcut in Thunderbird for switching the dictionaries?

    Thank you very much in advance,
    frank

    Frank J. Christophersen
    Automatic Control Lab, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
    mailto:FJC@control.ee.ethz.ch

  2. Re: German dictionary without umlaut

    fjcmurphy wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I would like to use a German dictionary for my Thunderbird inline
    > spelling that does not use the proper umlauts (, , , ...) but
    > instead uses its ascii substitutes (ae, oe, ue, ...). Is there a
    > dictionary like this out there that I can include? Or what can I do
    > to make it work?

    not sure but you can see :
    "https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/dictionaries/?lang=en-US"
    > I'm using a US keyboard and always switching to the international
    > keyboards starts to be a bit annoying for me.
    >
    > BTW, is there a shortcut in Thunderbird for switching the
    > dictionaries?

    in compose window , click on the drop-down 'Spell check' icon on toolbar
    , and select your dictionary

  3. Re: German dictionary without umlaut

    Hello!

    > not sure but you can see :
    > "https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/dictionaries/?lang=en-US"

    Thanks for the fast reply, but this is not really solving my problem.
    There I can only
    download German dictionaries with different dialects (i.e. Austrian or
    Swiss German).

    > > BTW, is there a shortcut in Thunderbird for switching the
    > > dictionaries?

    > in compose window , click on the drop-down 'Spell check' icon on toolbar
    > , and select your dictionary

    I actually meant: is there a keyboard shortcut for switching the
    dictionaries?

    Thanks again,
    frank

  4. Re: German dictionary without umlaut

    Hallo Frank, .... siehe unten ...

    On 14.01.2007 17:35 schrieb fjcmurphy
    > Hello!
    >
    >> not sure but you can see :
    >> "https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/dictionaries/?lang=en-US"

    > Thanks for the fast reply, but this is not really solving my problem.
    > There I can only
    > download German dictionaries with different dialects (i.e. Austrian or
    > Swiss German).

    ..... an dieser URL steht auch die de-de Version !!! Deutsch (de-de)
    Install (2534 KB)

    >>> BTW, is there a shortcut in Thunderbird for switching the
    >>> dictionaries?

    >> in compose window , click on the drop-down 'Spell check' icon on toolbar
    >> , and select your dictionary

    > I actually meant: is there a keyboard shortcut for switching the
    > dictionaries?

    NEIN! gehe ber das Men ... leider

    > Thanks again,
    > frank

  5. Re: German dictionary without umlaut

    Hallo!

    > > Thanks for the fast reply, but this is not really solving my problem.
    > > There I can only
    > > download German dictionaries with different dialects (i.e. Austrian or
    > > Swiss German).
    > >

    > .... an dieser URL steht auch die de-de Version !!! Deutsch (de-de)
    > Install (2534 KB)

    Es scheint, dass es nicht ganz klar ist, was ich moechte. Ich bin es
    gewohnt meinen Text
    auf einer US Tastatur zu tippen und ich bin es leid immer eine
    spezielle Tastenkombination
    fuer die deustchen Ulaute zu verwenden. Ich haette daher gerne ein
    deutsches Woerterbuch in meinem
    Thunderbird, dass bei Woertern die mit ae, oe, ue etc anfangen, diese
    nciht als falsch deklariert werden.

    Die Woerterbuecher de-de etc. erkennen dies leider nicht.

    Gibt es dafuer eine Loesung?

    Danke,
    frank

  6. Re: German dictionary without umlaut

    On 14.01.2007 19:03 schrieb fjcmurphy
    > Hallo!
    >
    >>> Thanks for the fast reply, but this is not really solving my problem.
    >>> There I can only
    >>> download German dictionaries with different dialects (i.e. Austrian or
    >>> Swiss German).
    >>>

    >> .... an dieser URL steht auch die de-de Version !!! Deutsch (de-de)
    >> Install (2534 KB)

    > Es scheint, dass es nicht ganz klar ist, was ich moechte. Ich bin es
    > gewohnt meinen Text
    > auf einer US Tastatur zu tippen und ich bin es leid immer eine
    > spezielle Tastenkombination
    > fuer die deustchen Ulaute zu verwenden. Ich haette daher gerne ein
    > deutsches Woerterbuch in meinem
    > Thunderbird, dass bei Woertern die mit ae, oe, ue etc anfangen, diese
    > nciht als falsch deklariert werden.
    >
    > Die Woerterbuecher de-de etc. erkennen dies leider nicht.
    >
    > Gibt es dafuer eine Loesung?
    >
    > Danke,
    > frank

    NEIN, zu mindest ist mir das nicht bekannt, sorry

  7. Re: German dictionary without umlaut

    On 14/01/2007 19:03, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused fjcmurphy to
    generate the following:? :
    > Hallo!
    >

    >>> Thanks for the fast reply, but this is not really solving my problem.
    >>> There I can only
    >>> download German dictionaries with different dialects (i.e. Austrian or
    >>> Swiss German).
    >>>

    >> .... an dieser URL steht auch die de-de Version !!! Deutsch (de-de)
    >> Install (2534 KB)
    >>

    > Es scheint, dass es nicht ganz klar ist, was ich moechte. Ich bin es
    > gewohnt meinen Text
    > auf einer US Tastatur zu tippen und ich bin es leid immer eine
    > spezielle Tastenkombination
    > fuer die deustchen Ulaute zu verwenden. Ich haette daher gerne ein
    > deutsches Woerterbuch in meinem
    > Thunderbird, dass bei Woertern die mit ae, oe, ue etc anfangen, diese
    > nciht als falsch deklariert werden.
    >
    > Die Woerterbuecher de-de etc. erkennen dies leider nicht.
    >
    > Gibt es dafuer eine Loesung?
    >
    > Danke,
    > frank

    Schau mal nach in den Wrterbuch-Einstellungen ob es nicht mglich is
    "Ausnahmen" zu deklarieren

    ( *lol* for the others here...)

    take a look at the Dictionary settings, to see if it is possible to
    declare "exceptions"

    reg

  8. Re: German dictionary without umlaut

    gNeandr wrote:
    > On 14.01.2007 19:03 schrieb fjcmurphy
    >> Hallo!

    >>> .... an dieser URL steht auch die de-de Version !!! Deutsch (de-de)
    >>> Install (2534 KB)

    >> Es scheint, dass es nicht ganz klar ist, was ich moechte. Ich bin es
    >> gewohnt meinen Text
    >> auf einer US Tastatur zu tippen und ich bin es leid immer eine
    >> spezielle Tastenkombination
    >> fuer die deustchen Ulaute zu verwenden. Ich haette daher gerne ein
    >> deutsches Woerterbuch in meinem
    >> Thunderbird, dass bei Woertern die mit ae, oe, ue etc anfangen, diese
    >> nciht als falsch deklariert werden.
    >>
    >> Die Woerterbuecher de-de etc. erkennen dies leider nicht.
    >>
    >> Gibt es dafuer eine Loesung?
    >>
    >> Danke,
    >> frank
    >>

    > NEIN, zu mindest ist mir das nicht bekannt, sorry

    Looks like Greek to me I don't speak German, French, Spanish,
    Portuguese, or even Japanese , etc.

    Heck I even have difficulty with British English. And Northern Mid
    Western, or Western, or Texas English. Not Southern English I can
    understand. ;-) By y'all!

  9. Re: German dictionary without umlaut

    On 14/01/2007 19:57, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
    Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :
    > gNeandr wrote:
    >
    >> On 14.01.2007 19:03 schrieb fjcmurphy
    >>
    >>> Hallo!

    >>> Es scheint, dass es nicht ganz klar ist, was ich moechte. Ich bin es
    >>> gewohnt meinen Text
    >>> auf einer US Tastatur zu tippen und ich bin es leid immer eine
    >>> spezielle Tastenkombination
    >>> fuer die deustchen Ulaute zu verwenden. Ich haette daher gerne ein
    >>> deutsches Woerterbuch in meinem
    >>> Thunderbird, dass bei Woertern die mit ae, oe, ue etc anfangen, diese
    >>> nciht als falsch deklariert werden.
    >>>
    >>> Die Woerterbuecher de-de etc. erkennen dies leider nicht.
    >>>
    >>> Gibt es dafuer eine Loesung?
    >>>
    >>> Danke,
    >>> frank
    >>>

    >> NEIN, zu mindest ist mir das nicht bekannt, sorry
    >>

    > Looks like Greek to me I don't speak German, French, Spanish,
    > Portuguese, or even Japanese , etc.
    >
    > Heck I even have difficulty with British English. And Northern Mid
    > Western, or Western, or Texas English. Not Southern English I can
    > understand. ;-) By y'all!

    yeah, man! tha tings ya'all larn here!

    reg

  10. Re: German dictionary without umlaut

    On 2007-01-14 11:03 (-0700 UTC), fjcmurphy wrote:

    > Hallo!
    >
    >>> Thanks for the fast reply, but this is not really solving my problem.
    >>> There I can only
    >>> download German dictionaries with different dialects (i.e. Austrian or
    >>> Swiss German).
    >>>

    >> .... an dieser URL steht auch die de-de Version !!! Deutsch (de-de)
    >> Install (2534 KB)

    > Es scheint, dass es nicht ganz klar ist, was ich moechte. Ich bin es
    > gewohnt meinen Text
    > auf einer US Tastatur zu tippen und ich bin es leid immer eine
    > spezielle Tastenkombination
    > fuer die deustchen Ulaute zu verwenden. Ich haette daher gerne ein
    > deutsches Woerterbuch in meinem
    > Thunderbird, dass bei Woertern die mit ae, oe, ue etc anfangen, diese
    > nciht als falsch deklariert werden.
    >
    > Die Woerterbuecher de-de etc. erkennen dies leider nicht.
    >
    > Gibt es dafuer eine Loesung?

    There would seem to be two options:

    1. Manually add the words to your personal dictionary;

    2. Adjust the rules in the dictionary so that it will recognise 'ae' as '',
    'oe' as '', 'ue' as '', 'ss' as '', &c.

    The former would be easiest, but most time-consuming.

    The latter would be more efficient, but, while I'm relatively sure it can be
    done (since, except for '' (which is in ISO-8859-15), all German characters
    are in ASCII/ISO-8859-1), I'm not sure as to how it would actually be done.

    Sorry I wasn't able to be of more help. . . .

    /b.

    --
    'There is caution, and there is irrational paranoia.' -- Ron Hunter

    'And, yes, I AM a bit paranoid. After 25 years online, one gets that way,
    if one survives.' -- Ron Hunter

  11. Re: German dictionary without umlaut

    fjcmurphy wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I would like to use a German dictionary for my Thunderbird inline
    > spelling that does not use
    > the proper umlauts (, , , ...) but instead uses its ascii
    > substitutes (ae, oe, ue, ...). Is there
    > a dictionary like this out there that I can include? Or what can I do
    > to make it work?
    >
    > I'm using a US keyboard and always switching to the international
    > keyboards starts to be a bit
    > annoying for me.
    >
    > BTW, is there a shortcut in Thunderbird for switching the dictionaries?
    >

    > Thank you very much in advance,
    > frank

    I have a solution, maybe not ideal, but you be the judge whether you can use it.

    The basic idea is to pre-compose the message in an editor which may have some
    better facilities than Thunderbird for -- for instance -- manipulating
    umlauts, then transfer it to the Thunderbird (or other mailer) compose window
    via the clipboard.

    The editor I have in mind is called Vim (or gvim) and is available in source
    form from http://www.vim.org/ ; pre-compiled bugfixed distributions for
    Windows are also available from
    https://sourceforge.net/project/show...ckage_id=39721
    .. For Unix-like systems, I have a HowTo page
    http://users.skynet.be/antoine.meche...m/compunix.htm to help you compile
    your own. (There are pre-compiled versions of Vim and gvim with most Linux
    distributions and with many other Unix distributions, but they are not always
    up-to-date.)

    gvim offers the following possibilities:

    - Method I: Keymaps
    You can, if you want, select a "keymap", mapping your keyboard differently,
    with a single-key toggle between the "original" and the "remapped" keyboard;
    you can also design your own if the keymaps included in the distribution don't
    fit you. For instance, I have created keymaps for my own use, mapping the
    Cyrillic or Arabic letters to those of my fr_BE keyboard not according to the
    keyboard layouts customary in the countries where those alphabets are in use,
    but according to some approximation of the letters' sound. It is possible to
    have a visual reminder of the current keyboard mode, such as a cursor of a
    different color for the "original" and the "remapped" state.

    - Method II: Digraphs
    In Insert mode, when you hit Ctrl-K, the next two keys make up a mnemonic for
    the character you want to enter. For example, the mnemonic for vowel + umlaut
    is vowel + colon. To enter (small a with umlaut) I would thus hit Ctrl-K a :
    (without the spaces). I don't really need this for umlauts because my Belgian
    keyboard supports them natively, but I use it for Esperanto, which has
    consonants with circumflex accent.

    - Method III: By character value
    If you know the character's value, you can enter it as a number, preceded by
    Ctrl-V, as follows (without the spaces, which I add here for legibility only):
    Ctrl-V nnn (a decimal number, 0 <= nnn <= 255)
    Ctrl-V o nnn (an octal number, 0 <= nnn <= 377)
    Ctrl-V x nn (a hex number, 0 <= nn <= FF)
    Ctrl-V u nnnn (a Unicode BMP codepoint in hex, 0 <= nnnn <= FFFF)
    Ctrl-V U nnnnnnnn (any Unicode codepoint in hex, 0 <= nnnnnnnn <= 7FFFFFFF)
    (Hex digits above 9 can be entered as any mixture of a to f and A to F.) I use
    this method for East-Asian languages, where the only way to enter a character
    known by shape but not by sound is to look it up in some dictionary or
    character database.

    Best regards,
    Tony.

  12. Re: German dictionary without umlaut

    On 14.01.2007 14:32 UK Time, fjcmurphy wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I would like to use a German dictionary for my Thunderbird inline
    > spelling that does not use
    > the proper umlauts (, , , ...) but instead uses its ascii
    > substitutes (ae, oe, ue, ...). Is there
    > a dictionary like this out there that I can include? Or what can I do
    > to make it work?
    >
    > I'm using a US keyboard and always switching to the international
    > keyboards starts to be a bit
    > annoying for me.

    Why don't you simply use a German keyboard or use the Alt+num shortcuts
    for umlauts (e.g. Alt+0228 for )?

    > BTW, is there a shortcut in Thunderbird for switching the dictionaries?

    Not directly, but I used keyconfig to define a shortcut to bring up the
    dictionary selection menu from where I can then select the required
    dictionary with the up or down arrow - see recent thread "Changing
    dictionaries in TB composition window".

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  13. Re: German dictionary without umlaut

    On 1/14/2007 1:03 PM, fjcmurphy wrote:

    > Hallo!
    >
    >>> Thanks for the fast reply, but this is not really solving my problem.
    >>> There I can only
    >>> download German dictionaries with different dialects (i.e. Austrian or
    >>> Swiss German).
    >>>

    >> .... an dieser URL steht auch die de-de Version !!! Deutsch (de-de)
    >> Install (2534 KB)

    > Es scheint, dass es nicht ganz klar ist, was ich moechte. Ich bin es
    > gewohnt meinen Text
    > auf einer US Tastatur zu tippen und ich bin es leid immer eine
    > spezielle Tastenkombination
    > fuer die deustchen Ulaute zu verwenden. Ich haette daher gerne ein
    > deutsches Woerterbuch in meinem
    > Thunderbird, dass bei Woertern die mit ae, oe, ue etc anfangen, diese
    > nciht als falsch deklariert werden.
    >
    > Die Woerterbuecher de-de etc. erkennen dies leider nicht.
    >
    > Gibt es dafuer eine Loesung?

    Noch ein Vorschlag.

    Numlock-Taste einschalten.

    Alt + 132 ergibt
    Alt + 148 ergibt
    Alt + 129 ergibt
    Alt + 142 ergibt
    Alt + 153 ergibt
    Alt + 154 ergibt
    Alt + 225 ergibt

    Nicht schick aber funktionell.

    --
    Mit freundlichen Gren
    Gord McFee

  14. Re: German dictionary without umlaut

    fjcmurphy wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I would like to use a German dictionary for my Thunderbird inline
    > spelling that does not use
    > the proper umlauts (, , , ...) but instead uses its ascii
    > substitutes (ae, oe, ue, ...). Is there
    > a dictionary like this out there that I can include? Or what can I do
    > to make it work?
    >
    > I'm using a US keyboard and always switching to the international
    > keyboards starts to be a bit
    > annoying for me.
    >
    > BTW, is there a shortcut in Thunderbird for switching the dictionaries?
    >

    > Thank you very much in advance,
    > frank
    >

    > --
    > Frank J. Christophersen
    > Automatic Control Lab, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
    > mailto:FJC@control.ee.ethz.ch

    You can probably make it yourself, open your dictionary files (they are
    in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\components\myspell) with a real
    text editor like metapad and replace all 's with ae etc.
    It may be a bit tedious but you only have to do it once

    Michel

  15. Re: German dictionary without umlaut

    Hello!

    Thank you so much for all your help.

    > You can probably make it yourself, open your dictionary files (they are
    > in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\components\myspell) with a real
    > text editor like metapad and replace all 's with ae etc.

    This did the trick and was super easy. I automatically replaced all the
    related Umlauts in
    the de-DE.dic file.

    Thanks alot.

    Cheers,
    frank

  16. Re: German dictionary without umlaut

    p.s.: Just for completeness, I also had to adopt the de-DE.aff file.

    Cheers,
    frank

  17. Re: German dictionary without umlaut

    On 17.01.2007 14:30 UK Time, fjcmurphy wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > Thank you so much for all your help.
    >
    >> You can probably make it yourself, open your dictionary files (they are
    >> in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\components\myspell) with a real
    >> text editor like metapad and replace all 's with ae etc.

    > This did the trick and was super easy. I automatically replaced all the
    > related Umlauts in
    > the de-DE.dic file.
    >
    > Thanks alot.

    This is kind of 'cheating', and you end up with 'improper' German,
    because you shouldn't really write 'ae' etc. unless it is technically
    impossible for some reason, which isn't the case here.

    If you regularly write e-mails etc. in German I don't understand why you
    don't you simply use a German keyboard or use the Alt+num shortcuts for
    umlauts (e.g. Alt+0228 for ) as I suggested?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread