crossposting - Mozilla

This is a discussion on crossposting - Mozilla ; Isn't possible to crosspost in newsgroups with Thunderbird? It's annoying to have to write and send several answers. I know some people find crossposting unnecessary, but it can come real handy sometimes. I'd rather not go back to Outlook, so ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. crossposting

    Isn't possible to crosspost in newsgroups with Thunderbird?

    It's annoying to have to write and send several answers. I know
    some people find crossposting unnecessary, but it can come
    real handy sometimes. I'd rather not go back to Outlook, so
    can anyone help me find out how to?

    I use it to post between related Danish and Dorwegian groups.

    Regards

    Villy Dalsgaard

  2. Re: crossposting

    Replied to [viidal@gmail.com]s message :
    > Isn't possible to crosspost in newsgroups with Thunderbird?
    >
    > It's annoying to have to write and send several answers. I know
    > some people find crossposting unnecessary, but it can come
    > real handy sometimes. I'd rather not go back to Outlook, so
    > can anyone help me find out how to?
    >
    > I use it to post between related Danish and Dorwegian groups.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Villy Dalsgaard

    When you write/reply, you can click on the lines that appear on top of message. This
    will add a new newsgroup header in the list and you can then type the name of
    newsgroup. Click once again to add one more NG...

    → Ayush [ Good :-) Luck ]
    -------------
    Search - www.Google.com | Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org
    Snip your long urls - http://snipurl.com/
    -------------

  3. Re: crossposting

    viidal@gmail.com wrote:
    > Isn't possible to crosspost in newsgroups with Thunderbird?
    >
    > It's annoying to have to write and send several answers. I know
    > some people find crossposting unnecessary, but it can come
    > real handy sometimes. I'd rather not go back to Outlook, so
    > can anyone help me find out how to?
    >
    > I use it to post between related Danish and Dorwegian groups.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Villy Dalsgaard

    Please do NOT crosspost between groups, especially if they are on
    different servers.

    You want answers for a question, ask on one group, if not satisfied, ask
    on another.

  4. Re: crossposting

    viidal@gmail.com wrote:
    > Isn't possible to crosspost in newsgroups with Thunderbird?
    >
    > It's annoying to have to write and send several answers. I know
    > some people find crossposting unnecessary, but it can come
    > real handy sometimes. I'd rather not go back to Outlook, so
    > can anyone help me find out how to?
    >
    > I use it to post between related Danish and Dorwegian groups.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Villy Dalsgaard

    If you are replying to a message that was crossposted, you should see
    all the newsgroups listed at the top --
    Newsgroup: abc
    Newsgroup: xyz

    If you are starting a new thread and want to crosspost it, do as Ayush
    suggests. However, note that some news servers will limit the number of
    newsgroups to which you crosspost. Just be sure you are on-topic for
    all of them.

    --

    David E. Ross

    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my

  5. Re: crossposting

    viidal@gmail.com wrote:

    > Isn't possible to crosspost in newsgroups with Thunderbird?
    >
    > It's annoying to have to write and send several answers. I know
    > some people find crossposting unnecessary, but it can come
    > real handy sometimes. I'd rather not go back to Outlook, so
    > can anyone help me find out how to?
    >
    > I use it to post between related Danish and Dorwegian groups.

    Only use cross-posting when appropriate, and then set a follow-up such
    that those subscribed to all cross-posted NGs don't have to keep
    re-reading the same thread. A modern newsreading client should be able
    to mark cross-posted messages as read, such that you only have to read
    a post once, but most do not.

    As Dan points out, never, ever cross-post across news servers. It is
    extremely rude. Not every one has access to the same servers that you
    do. Those who want to follow your thread should have the ability to
    subscribe to the F/U NG if not already subscribed.

    I myself almost never reply to a cross-posted message unless a F/U is
    set, or at the very least, I am subscribed to all of the cross-posted
    NGs. At some the point the cross-posts will be stripped out, and then
    many people are not able to continue following the thread. Again, an
    issue of courtesy.

    And simultaneously multi-posting the same question (info is another
    matter) is almost never appropriate. If you can't get your question
    answered in one NG, then you can try another NG or even another news
    server.

    Cross-posted to the SM, FF and TB NGs with F/U set to the TB NG.

    Ron

  6. Re: crossposting

    viidal@gmail.com wrote:

    > Isn't possible to crosspost in newsgroups with Thunderbird?
    >
    > It's annoying to have to write and send several answers. I know
    > some people find crossposting unnecessary, but it can come
    > real handy sometimes. I'd rather not go back to Outlook, so
    > can anyone help me find out how to?
    >
    > I use it to post between related Danish and Dorwegian groups.

    Only use cross-posting when appropriate, and then set a follow-up such
    that those subscribed to all cross-posted NGs don't have to keep
    re-reading the same thread. A modern newsreading client should be able
    to mark cross-posted messages as read, such that you only have to read
    a post once, but most do not.

    As Dan points out, never, ever cross-post across news servers. It is
    extremely rude. Not every one has access to the same servers that you
    do. Those who want to follow your thread should have the ability to
    subscribe to the F/U NG if not already subscribed.

    I myself almost never reply to a cross-posted message unless a F/U is
    set, or at the very least, I am subscribed to all of the cross-posted
    NGs. At some the point the cross-posts will be stripped out, and then
    many people are not able to continue following the thread. Again, an
    issue of courtesy.

    And simultaneously multi-posting the same question (info is another
    matter) is almost never appropriate. If you can't get your question
    answered in one NG, then you can try another NG or even another news
    server.

    Cross-posted to the SM, FF and TB NGs with F/U set to the TB NG.

    Ron

  7. Re: crossposting

    Moz Champion (Dan) skrev:
    > viidal@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Isn't possible to crosspost in newsgroups with Thunderbird?
    > >
    > > It's annoying to have to write and send several answers. I know
    > > some people find crossposting unnecessary, but it can come
    > > real handy sometimes. I'd rather not go back to Outlook, so
    > > can anyone help me find out how to?
    > >
    > > I use it to post between related Danish and Dorwegian groups.

    > Please do NOT crosspost between groups, especially if they are on
    > different servers.

    What I'm talking about, is crossposting between two groups with
    related contents, here two groups that discuss christianity. As
    one group is Norwegian and the other is Danish (and subsequently
    on two different servers) it is not likely all users read both groups,
    but all users will see the relevance.

    I have no moral opinions on crossposting, I just want Thunderbird
    to comply with my needs. I don't want to use two mail/newsprograms
    so it may be an either or.

    > You want answers for a question, ask on one group, if not satisfied, ask
    > on another.

    Do you know if it is possible to crosspost with Mozilla Thunderbird?

    I'm not able to.
    --
    Regards

    Villy dalsgaard

  8. Re: crossposting

    Ayush skrev:
    > Replied to [viidal@gmail.com]s message :
    > > Isn't possible to crosspost in newsgroups with Thunderbird?
    > >
    > > It's annoying to have to write and send several answers. I know
    > > some people find crossposting unnecessary, but it can come
    > > real handy sometimes. I'd rather not go back to Outlook, so
    > > can anyone help me find out how to?

    The problem is, if I want to answer a crossposted letter I get an
    error: 'You can only send a message to one newsserver at a
    time' (from Thunderbird, that is).

    I don't want that limitation and if it's arbitrary or dependent on a
    moral decision, I find it ridiculous.

    At the moment I use Google to crosspost.

    --
    Regards

    Villy Dalsgaard

  9. Re: crossposting

    David E. Ross skrev:
    > viidal@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Isn't possible to crosspost in newsgroups with Thunderbird?
    > >
    > > It's annoying to have to write and send several answers. I know
    > > some people find crossposting unnecessary, but it can come
    > > real handy sometimes. I'd rather not go back to Outlook, so

    > If you are replying to a message that was crossposted, you should see
    > all the newsgroups listed at the top --
    > Newsgroup: abc
    > Newsgroup: xyz

    Do your newsreader support crossposting? Is it Thunderbird?
    What version? Maybe my Thunderbird is to old?

    --
    Regards

    Villy Dalsgaard

  10. Re: crossposting

    Ron Lopshire said the following on 12/30/2006 10:51 AM:
    > viidal@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Isn't possible to crosspost in newsgroups with Thunderbird?
    >>
    >> It's annoying to have to write and send several answers. I know
    >> some people find crossposting unnecessary, but it can come
    >> real handy sometimes. I'd rather not go back to Outlook, so
    >> can anyone help me find out how to?
    >>
    >> I use it to post between related Danish and Dorwegian groups.

    > Only use cross-posting when appropriate, and then set a follow-up such
    > that those subscribed to all cross-posted NGs don't have to keep
    > re-reading the same thread. A modern newsreading client should be able
    > to mark cross-posted messages as read, such that you only have to read a
    > post once, but most do not.
    >
    > As Dan points out, never, ever cross-post across news servers. It is
    > extremely rude. Not every one has access to the same servers that you
    > do. Those who want to follow your thread should have the ability to
    > subscribe to the F/U NG if not already subscribed.
    >
    > I myself almost never reply to a cross-posted message unless a F/U is
    > set, or at the very least, I am subscribed to all of the cross-posted
    > NGs. At some the point the cross-posts will be stripped out, and then
    > many people are not able to continue following the thread. Again, an
    > issue of courtesy.
    >
    > And simultaneously multi-posting the same question (info is another
    > matter) is almost never appropriate. If you can't get your question
    > answered in one NG, then you can try another NG or even another news
    > server.
    >
    > Cross-posted to the SM, FF and TB NGs with F/U set to the TB NG.
    >
    > Ron

    This was cross posted with TB

    --
    pop is Mark
    I Stopped to think but forgot to start again.

  11. Re: crossposting

    Ron Lopshire said the following on 12/30/2006 10:51 AM:
    > viidal@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Isn't possible to crosspost in newsgroups with Thunderbird?
    >>
    >> It's annoying to have to write and send several answers. I know
    >> some people find crossposting unnecessary, but it can come
    >> real handy sometimes. I'd rather not go back to Outlook, so
    >> can anyone help me find out how to?
    >>
    >> I use it to post between related Danish and Dorwegian groups.

    > Only use cross-posting when appropriate, and then set a follow-up such
    > that those subscribed to all cross-posted NGs don't have to keep
    > re-reading the same thread. A modern newsreading client should be able
    > to mark cross-posted messages as read, such that you only have to read a
    > post once, but most do not.
    >
    > As Dan points out, never, ever cross-post across news servers. It is
    > extremely rude. Not every one has access to the same servers that you
    > do. Those who want to follow your thread should have the ability to
    > subscribe to the F/U NG if not already subscribed.
    >
    > I myself almost never reply to a cross-posted message unless a F/U is
    > set, or at the very least, I am subscribed to all of the cross-posted
    > NGs. At some the point the cross-posts will be stripped out, and then
    > many people are not able to continue following the thread. Again, an
    > issue of courtesy.
    >
    > And simultaneously multi-posting the same question (info is another
    > matter) is almost never appropriate. If you can't get your question
    > answered in one NG, then you can try another NG or even another news
    > server.
    >
    > Cross-posted to the SM, FF and TB NGs with F/U set to the TB NG.
    >
    > Ron

    This was cross posted with TB

    --
    pop is Mark
    I Stopped to think but forgot to start again.
    --

  12. Re: crossposting

    viidal@gmail.com wrote:
    > Ayush skrev:
    >
    >>Replied to [viidal@gmail.com]s message :
    >>
    >>>Isn't possible to crosspost in newsgroups with Thunderbird?
    >>>
    >>>It's annoying to have to write and send several answers. I know
    >>>some people find crossposting unnecessary, but it can come
    >>>real handy sometimes. I'd rather not go back to Outlook, so
    >>>can anyone help me find out how to?

    > The problem is, if I want to answer a crossposted letter I get an
    > error: 'You can only send a message to one newsserver at a
    > time' (from Thunderbird, that is).
    >
    > I don't want that limitation and if it's arbitrary or dependent on a
    > moral decision, I find it ridiculous.
    >
    > At the moment I use Google to crosspost.

    Perhaps I misunderstood your problem.

    1) I cross-posted with F/U using Netscape 7.2 to the Mozilla server.
    It works the same way with the Moz Suite, SeaMonkey and Thunderbird.

    2) Using Google is not the same as using an NNTP client.

    3) I was not aware that you could use Outlook as an NNTP client.

    4) Are you saying that using Outlook Express, and subscribed to
    exactly the same NGs as in TB, you can cross-post with Outlook, but
    not TB, to exactly the same NGs on exactly the same servers?

    5) Are you cross-posting across news servers? Does OE allow
    cross-posting with different protocols? For example, authentication,
    SSL, etc.

    As I said, I never cross-post across news servers, and so I would not
    know if it works or not, if that is indeed your issue.

    Ron

  13. Re: crossposting

    pop skrev:

    > This was cross posted with TB

    Yes, I can see that. How is it possible, what is it I don't
    know?

    --
    regards

    Villy Dalsgaard

  14. Re: crossposting

    pop skrev:

    > This was cross posted with TB

    Yes, I can see that. How is it possible, what is it I don't
    know?

    --
    regards

    Villy Dalsgaard

  15. Re: crossposting

    viidal@gmail.com said the following on 12/30/2006 12:45 PM:
    > pop skrev:
    >
    >> This was cross posted with TB

    > Yes, I can see that. How is it possible, what is it I don't
    > know?

    It happens automatically if there is no "Follow-up To:" line in the
    header; otherwise, I just highlight the comma separated "Newsgroups:"
    list, copy and replace the single newsgroup list in the reply.

    --
    pop is Mark
    I Stopped to think but forgot to start again.
    --

  16. Re: crossposting

    viidal@gmail.com said the following on 12/30/2006 12:45 PM:
    > pop skrev:
    >
    >> This was cross posted with TB

    > Yes, I can see that. How is it possible, what is it I don't
    > know?

    It happens automatically if there is no "Follow-up To:" line in the
    header; otherwise, I just highlight the comma separated "Newsgroups:"
    list, copy and replace the single newsgroup list in the reply.

    --
    pop is Mark
    I Stopped to think but forgot to start again.
    --

  17. Re: crossposting

    pop said the following on 12/30/2006 12:52 PM:
    > viidal@gmail.com said the following on 12/30/2006 12:45 PM:
    >> pop skrev:
    >>
    >>> This was cross posted with TB

    >> Yes, I can see that. How is it possible, what is it I don't
    >> know?
    >>

    > It happens automatically if there is no "Follow-up To:" line in the
    > header; otherwise, I just highlight the comma separated "Newsgroups:"
    > list, copy and replace the single newsgroup list in the reply.

    I'm running TB1.5.0.9 if that matters...

    --
    pop is Mark
    I Stopped to think but forgot to start again.
    --

  18. Re: crossposting

    pop said the following on 12/30/2006 12:52 PM:
    > viidal@gmail.com said the following on 12/30/2006 12:45 PM:
    >> pop skrev:
    >>
    >>> This was cross posted with TB

    >> Yes, I can see that. How is it possible, what is it I don't
    >> know?
    >>

    > It happens automatically if there is no "Follow-up To:" line in the
    > header; otherwise, I just highlight the comma separated "Newsgroups:"
    > list, copy and replace the single newsgroup list in the reply.

    I'm running TB1.5.0.9 if that matters...

    --
    pop is Mark
    I Stopped to think but forgot to start again.
    --

  19. Re: crossposting

    Ron Lopshire skrev:
    > viidal@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Ayush skrev:
    > >
    > >>Replied to [viidal@gmail.com]s message :

    > > The problem is, if I want to answer a crossposted letter I get an
    > > error: 'You can only send a message to one newsserver at a
    > > time' (from Thunderbird, that is).
    > >
    > > I don't want that limitation and if it's arbitrary or dependent on a
    > > moral decision, I find it ridiculous.
    > >
    > > At the moment I use Google to crosspost.

    > Perhaps I misunderstood your problem.
    >
    > 1) I cross-posted with F/U using Netscape 7.2 to the Mozilla server.
    > It works the same way with the Moz Suite, SeaMonkey and Thunderbird.

    I use Mozilla Thunderbird.

    > 2) Using Google is not the same as using an NNTP client.

    I know.

    > 3) I was not aware that you could use Outlook as an NNTP client.

    I have used Outlook Express to acces news-groups.

    > 4) Are you saying that using Outlook Express, and subscribed to
    > exactly the same NGs as in TB, you can cross-post with Outlook, but
    > not TB, to exactly the same NGs on exactly the same servers?

    Yes.

    > 5) Are you cross-posting across news servers?

    Actually I don't think so. My provider has both groups I try to
    post to on its server..

    > Does OE allow
    > cross-posting with different protocols? For example, authentication,
    > SSL, etc.

    My knowledge about these matters is on userlevel. So I don't know.
    This is why I ask here.

    > As I said, I never cross-post across news servers, and so I would not
    > know if it works or not, if that is indeed your issue.

    My issue is, if I try to answer a crossposted message, Thunderbird
    says: 'You can only send a message to one newsserver at a time.'
    And my provider has all the groups I try to post to.

    I never saw that, when I used Outlook Express.

    Take a look at

    Apparantly Femme Verbeek has the same problem as me.

    --
    Regards

    Villy Dalsgaard

  20. Re: crossposting

    viidal@gmail.com skrev:
    > As
    > one group is Norwegian and the other is Danish (and subsequently
    > on two different servers)

    Well mayby not. :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast