crossposting - Mozilla

This is a discussion on crossposting - Mozilla ; viidal@gmail.com wrote: > The problem is, if I want to answer a crossposted letter I get an > error: 'You can only send a message to one newsserver at a > time' (from Thunderbird, that is). > lets see if ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: crossposting

    viidal@gmail.com wrote:
    > The problem is, if I want to answer a crossposted letter I get an
    > error: 'You can only send a message to one newsserver at a
    > time' (from Thunderbird, that is).

    lets see if I can explain what is happening. Someone is posting on
    server 123. That server has newsgroups A, B, C, D, E, and F. That
    person is crossposting to all those groups.

    Now, you are on server 456, and it has the newsgroups of B, C, D, E, and
    F, but no A.

    When you reply, you will get the above message. It means you can't post
    to newsgroup A because its not on your server. Its on another one.

    Thats my understanding of it. But then I have been known to be wrong on
    this.

    --
    "Oh! Heavens to Murgatroid. Exit, Stage Left!" -- Snagglepuss
    http://www.toonopedia.com/snaggle.htm

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  2. Re: crossposting

    On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:02:58 -0800, viidal wrote:

    > Moz Champion (Dan) skrev:
    >> viidal@gmail.com wrote:
    >> > Isn't possible to crosspost in newsgroups with Thunderbird?
    >> >
    >> > It's annoying to have to write and send several answers. I know
    >> > some people find crossposting unnecessary, but it can come
    >> > real handy sometimes. I'd rather not go back to Outlook, so
    >> > can anyone help me find out how to?
    >> >
    >> > I use it to post between related Danish and Dorwegian groups.

    >> Please do NOT crosspost between groups, especially if they are on
    >> different servers.

    > What I'm talking about, is crossposting between two groups with
    > related contents, here two groups that discuss christianity. As
    > one group is Norwegian and the other is Danish (and subsequently
    > on two different servers) it is not likely all users read both groups,
    > but all users will see the relevance.
    >
    > I have no moral opinions on crossposting, I just want Thunderbird
    > to comply with my needs. I don't want to use two mail/newsprograms
    > so it may be an either or.
    >
    >> You want answers for a question, ask on one group, if not satisfied, ask
    >> on another.

    > Do you know if it is possible to crosspost with Mozilla Thunderbird?
    >
    > I'm not able to.

    Dan is saying that you crossposted this to the Firefox group also, and it
    has no bearing there. Firefox is not news reader. It's a browser.

    --
    Frank Tabor
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

  3. Re: crossposting

    On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:18:48 -0800, viidal wrote:

    > David E. Ross skrev:
    >> viidal@gmail.com wrote:
    >> > Isn't possible to crosspost in newsgroups with Thunderbird?
    >> >
    >> > It's annoying to have to write and send several answers. I know
    >> > some people find crossposting unnecessary, but it can come
    >> > real handy sometimes. I'd rather not go back to Outlook, so

    >> If you are replying to a message that was crossposted, you should see
    >> all the newsgroups listed at the top --
    >> Newsgroup: abc
    >> Newsgroup: xyz

    > Do your newsreader support crossposting? Is it Thunderbird?
    > What version? Maybe my Thunderbird is to old?

    Thunderbird supports crossposting, but to only one server. If one of the
    groups listed is not on the server, then you will have to delete the bad
    group.

    --
    Frank Tabor
    Computers are like air conditioners. Both stop working, if you open windows.

  4. Re: crossposting

    _Ron Lopshire_ spoke thusly on 30/12/2006 11:51 AM:
    > Cross-posted to the SM, FF and TB NGs with F/U set to the TB NG.

    In the future, if folks want to demonstrate cross-posting, cross-post to
    mozilla.test, not the other support groups. ;-)
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  5. Re: crossposting

    Ron Lopshire wrote:
    > viidal@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Isn't possible to crosspost in newsgroups with Thunderbird?
    >>
    >> It's annoying to have to write and send several answers. I know
    >> some people find crossposting unnecessary, but it can come
    >> real handy sometimes. I'd rather not go back to Outlook, so
    >> can anyone help me find out how to?
    >>
    >> I use it to post between related Danish and Dorwegian groups.

    > Only use cross-posting when appropriate, and then set a follow-up such
    > that those subscribed to all cross-posted NGs don't have to keep
    > re-reading the same thread. A modern newsreading client should be able
    > to mark cross-posted messages as read, such that you only have to read a
    > post once, but most do not.

    Ron, are you implying that Moz/SM are not modern newsreading
    clients?...or have I set something up wrong?

    As I read through my Usenet groups, I quite often see legitimate posts
    (as distinct to spam-type posts) that are posted to several groups of
    the same type, and then, as I read some of these ¨several groups¨, I
    have to re-read these posts.

    Have I got something set up wrong (as I know it worked back in
    my NC4.7x days), or have the posters?

    TIA

    Daniel

  6. Re: crossposting

    On 31/12/2006 02:11, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Daniel to
    generate the following:? :
    > Ron Lopshire wrote:
    >
    >> viidal@gmail.com wrote:
    >>

    >>> Isn't possible to crosspost in newsgroups with Thunderbird?
    >>>
    >>> It's annoying to have to write and send several answers. I know
    >>> some people find crossposting unnecessary, but it can come
    >>> real handy sometimes. I'd rather not go back to Outlook, so
    >>> can anyone help me find out how to?
    >>>
    >>> I use it to post between related Danish and Dorwegian groups.
    >>>

    >> Only use cross-posting when appropriate, and then set a follow-up such
    >> that those subscribed to all cross-posted NGs don't have to keep
    >> re-reading the same thread. A modern newsreading client should be able
    >> to mark cross-posted messages as read, such that you only have to read a
    >> post once, but most do not.
    >>

    > Ron, are you implying that Moz/SM are not modern newsreading
    > clients?...or have I set something up wrong?
    >
    > As I read through my Usenet groups, I quite often see legitimate posts
    > (as distinct to spam-type posts) that are posted to several groups of
    > the same type, and then, as I read some of these ¨several groups¨, I
    > have to re-read these posts.
    >
    > Have I got something set up wrong (as I know it worked back in
    > my NC4.7x days), or have the posters?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Daniel

    eMail programs - such as NS, SM and TB are not defacto "News Readers" -
    they are eMail programs with *limited* Newsreader functions!
    Fullblood Newsreaders have several functions that eMail apps don't
    have... as far as I have read in these groups, a genuine "Killfile" is
    one of those features!

    reg

  7. Re: crossposting

    Daniel wrote:

    > Ron Lopshire wrote:
    >
    >> viidal@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Isn't possible to crosspost in newsgroups with Thunderbird?
    >>>
    >>> It's annoying to have to write and send several answers. I know
    >>> some people find crossposting unnecessary, but it can come
    >>> real handy sometimes. I'd rather not go back to Outlook, so
    >>> can anyone help me find out how to?
    >>>
    >>> I use it to post between related Danish and Dorwegian groups.

    >> Only use cross-posting when appropriate, and then set a follow-up such
    >> that those subscribed to all cross-posted NGs don't have to keep
    >> re-reading the same thread. A modern newsreading client should be able
    >> to mark cross-posted messages as read, such that you only have to read
    >> a post once, but most do not.

    > Ron, are you implying that Moz/SM are not modern newsreading
    > clients?...or have I set something up wrong?

    Daniel,

    It was a snide comment on my part. Just as we Moz fanboys are always
    touting the Moz products as modern, standards-compliant as opposed to
    those provided by you-know-whom, we should be consistent. There are
    deficiencies (handling cross-posts, kill files, etc,) in the Moz NNTP
    clients that have existed since Marc Andreessen was in the third grade.

    Reg hit the nail on the head. From the "it would be nice if" department.

    Ron

  8. Re: crossposting

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > _Ron Lopshire_ spoke thusly on 30/12/2006 11:51 AM:
    >
    >> Cross-posted to the SM, FF and TB NGs with F/U set to the TB NG.

    > In the future, if folks want to demonstrate cross-posting, cross-post to
    > mozilla.test, not the other support groups. ;-)

    Sorry about that, Chris. That was next on my agenda. Cross-posting
    across servers (to test groups) with Netscape, SeaMonkey and
    Thunderbird. I might try that later.

    And I did think that some of those in the SM and FF NGs, might find
    this thread informative.

    OT - Happy New Year to all of you in the Great White North.

    Ron

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2