Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly - Mozilla ; version 1.5.0.9 (20061207) Until very recently they worked pretty good. Now about 50% of the spam ends up in my inbox. I deleted all the .msf files in my profile, emptied the Trash, and compacted my folders. These actions don't ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 106

  1. Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    version 1.5.0.9 (20061207)

    Until very recently they worked pretty good. Now about 50% of the spam
    ends up in my inbox. I deleted all the .msf files in my profile,
    emptied the Trash, and compacted my folders. These actions don't seem
    to have helped. Is there anything else I can try? Is this problem
    related to a recent update?

    Penthor

  2. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    Penthor-Mul wrote:
    > version 1.5.0.9 (20061207)
    >
    > Until very recently they worked pretty good. Now about 50% of the spam
    > ends up in my inbox. I deleted all the .msf files in my profile,
    > emptied the Trash, and compacted my folders. These actions don't seem
    > to have helped. Is there anything else I can try? Is this problem
    > related to a recent update?
    >
    > Penthor

    How big is your training.dat file? Your training.dat file can be found
    in your profile.

    Is JMC (Junk Mail Controls) still getting some spam/junk? Have you
    checked the settings to ensure that it is still enabled on all accounts?

  3. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Penthor-Mul wrote:
    >> version 1.5.0.9 (20061207)
    >>
    >> Until very recently they worked pretty good. Now about 50% of the
    >> spam ends up in my inbox. I deleted all the .msf files in my profile,
    >> emptied the Trash, and compacted my folders. These actions don't seem
    >> to have helped. Is there anything else I can try? Is this problem
    >> related to a recent update?
    >>
    >> Penthor

    > How big is your training.dat file? Your training.dat file can be found
    > in your profile.
    >
    > Is JMC (Junk Mail Controls) still getting some spam/junk? Have you
    > checked the settings to ensure that it is still enabled on all accounts?

    Training.dat = 6MB

    The JMC is catching about 50% of the spam and correctly routing it to
    the Junk folder. JMC is still activated for my account.

    I remember there was a place to set the "aggressiveness" of the JMC
    between 0 & 100, but I forgot where that setting is. I think I had set
    it fairly aggressive; about 5 or less.

  4. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    Penthor-Mul wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Penthor-Mul wrote:
    >>> version 1.5.0.9 (20061207)
    >>>
    >>> Until very recently they worked pretty good. Now about 50% of the
    >>> spam ends up in my inbox. I deleted all the .msf files in my
    >>> profile, emptied the Trash, and compacted my folders. These actions
    >>> don't seem to have helped. Is there anything else I can try? Is
    >>> this problem related to a recent update?
    >>>
    >>> Penthor

    >> How big is your training.dat file? Your training.dat file can be found
    >> in your profile.
    >>
    >> Is JMC (Junk Mail Controls) still getting some spam/junk? Have you
    >> checked the settings to ensure that it is still enabled on all accounts?

    > Training.dat = 6MB
    >
    > The JMC is catching about 50% of the spam and correctly routing it to
    > the Junk folder. JMC is still activated for my account.
    >
    > I remember there was a place to set the "aggressiveness" of the JMC
    > between 0 & 100, but I forgot where that setting is. I think I had set
    > it fairly aggressive; about 5 or less.

    SIX MEGS!!!! Yikes. I would delete the file and start again.

    --
    "Oh! Heavens to Murgatroid. Exit, Stage Left!" -- Snagglepuss
    http://www.toonopedia.com/snaggle.htm

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  5. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    Snagglepuss wrote:
    > Penthor-Mul wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >>> How big is your training.dat file? Your training.dat file can be
    >>> found in your profile.
    >>>
    >>> Is JMC (Junk Mail Controls) still getting some spam/junk? Have you
    >>> checked the settings to ensure that it is still enabled on all accounts?

    >> Training.dat = 6MB
    >>
    >> The JMC is catching about 50% of the spam and correctly routing it to
    >> the Junk folder. JMC is still activated for my account.
    >>
    >> I remember there was a place to set the "aggressiveness" of the JMC
    >> between 0 & 100, but I forgot where that setting is. I think I had
    >> set it fairly aggressive; about 5 or less.

    > SIX MEGS!!!! Yikes. I would delete the file and start again.

    Right, training.dats over 1MB can contribute to problems and yours is
    six time that. As Snagglepuss (Dont call him Andy) says, deleting it and
    starting over again is the suggested solution.

    I have no idea of what you mean by setting aggressiveness.

  6. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    Penthor-Mul wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Penthor-Mul wrote:

    > I remember there was a place to set the "aggressiveness" of the JMC
    > between 0 & 100, but I forgot where that setting is. I think I had
    > set it fairly aggressive; about 5 or less.

    'mail.adaptivefilters.junk_threshold' :
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls#Tweaking

  7. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Snagglepuss wrote:
    >> Penthor-Mul wrote:

    >>> Training.dat = 6MB
    >>>
    >>> The JMC is catching about 50% of the spam and correctly routing it to
    >>> the Junk folder. JMC is still activated for my account.
    >>>
    >>> I remember there was a place to set the "aggressiveness" of the JMC
    >>> between 0 & 100, but I forgot where that setting is. I think I had
    >>> set it fairly aggressive; about 5 or less.

    >> SIX MEGS!!!! Yikes. I would delete the file and start again.
    >>

    > Right, training.dats over 1MB can contribute to problems and yours is
    > six time that. As Snagglepuss (Dont call him Andy) says, deleting it and
    > starting over again is the suggested solution.
    >
    > I have no idea of what you mean by setting aggressiveness.

    Nir has it in the last post. It's called
    "mail.adaptivefilters.junk_threshold preference"

  8. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    Snagglepuss wrote:
    > Penthor-Mul wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >>> How big is your training.dat file? Your training.dat file can be
    >>> found in your profile.
    >>>
    >>> Is JMC (Junk Mail Controls) still getting some spam/junk? Have you
    >>> checked the settings to ensure that it is still enabled on all accounts?

    >> Training.dat = 6MB
    >>
    >> The JMC is catching about 50% of the spam and correctly routing it to
    >> the Junk folder. JMC is still activated for my account.
    >>
    >> I remember there was a place to set the "aggressiveness" of the JMC
    >> between 0 & 100, but I forgot where that setting is. I think I had
    >> set it fairly aggressive; about 5 or less.

    > SIX MEGS!!!! Yikes. I would delete the file and start again.

    OK, I'll shut down and dump that bad boy. I had no idea there was a
    size limit for that file. I guess I missed that. Thanks for the
    education.

  9. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    Nir wrote:
    > Penthor-Mul wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>> Penthor-Mul wrote:

    >> I remember there was a place to set the "aggressiveness" of the JMC
    >> between 0 & 100, but I forgot where that setting is. I think I had
    >> set it fairly aggressive; about 5 or less.

    > 'mail.adaptivefilters.junk_threshold' :
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls#Tweaking

    Thanks for the reminder Nir. I'll write it down this time

  10. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    Penthor-Mul wrote:
    > Snagglepuss wrote:
    >> SIX MEGS!!!! Yikes. I would delete the file and start again.

    > OK, I'll shut down and dump that bad boy. I had no idea there was a
    > size limit for that file. I guess I missed that. Thanks for the
    > education.

    Strange, though. So the longer I use the JMC the more likely it is that
    it'll get too large and have to be reset? Is this a bug or what?

    --
    Wilf

  11. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    Wilf wrote:
    > Penthor-Mul wrote:
    >> Snagglepuss wrote:
    >>> SIX MEGS!!!! Yikes. I would delete the file and start again.

    >> OK, I'll shut down and dump that bad boy. I had no idea there was a
    >> size limit for that file. I guess I missed that. Thanks for the
    >> education.

    > Strange, though. So the longer I use the JMC the more likely it is that
    > it'll get too large and have to be reset? Is this a bug or what?

    Yes, its been recognized by Mozilla, and there was some consideration
    given to building in an automatic size limitation to the product but it
    hasnt been implemented as of yet.

  12. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Wilf wrote:
    >> Penthor-Mul wrote:
    >>> OK, I'll shut down and dump that bad boy. I had no idea there was a
    >>> size limit for that file. I guess I missed that. Thanks for the
    >>> education.

    >> Strange, though. So the longer I use the JMC the more likely it is that
    >> it'll get too large and have to be reset? Is this a bug or what?
    >>

    > Yes, its been recognized by Mozilla, and there was some consideration
    > given to building in an automatic size limitation to the product but it
    > hasnt been implemented as of yet.

    I'd better stick with K9 then, which is a Bayesian filter which is (for
    me anyway) almost 100% accurate and never has to be reset.

    --
    Wilf

  13. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    On 2006-12-29 05:19 (-0700 UTC), Penthor-Mul wrote:

    > Snagglepuss wrote:
    >> Penthor-Mul wrote:

    >>> Training.dat = 6MB
    >>>
    >>> The JMC is catching about 50% of the spam and correctly routing it to
    >>> the Junk folder. JMC is still activated for my account.
    >>>
    >>> I remember there was a place to set the "aggressiveness" of the JMC
    >>> between 0 & 100, but I forgot where that setting is. I think I had
    >>> set it fairly aggressive; about 5 or less.

    >> SIX MEGS!!!! Yikes. I would delete the file and start again.

    > OK, I'll shut down and dump that bad boy. I had no idea there was a
    > size limit for that file. I guess I missed that. Thanks for the
    > education.

    There is no size limit; it's just that the larger it gets, the more cruft it
    has in it, and the less efficient it becomes.

    Dan tends to recommend deleting the file and starting over, while I tend to
    recommend using the Bayes Junk Tool to 'fine tune' JMC by removing the cruft
    (/i.e./, entries below a certain score).

    For more on BJT, see .

    /b.

    --
    'There is caution, and there is irrational paranoia.' -- Ron Hunter

    'And, yes, I AM a bit paranoid. After 25 years online, one gets that way,
    if one survives.' -- Ron Hunter

  14. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...c7c3a2c91cb234

    --
    "Oh! Heavens to Murgatroid. Exit, Stage Left!" -- Snagglepuss
    http://www.toonopedia.com/snaggle.htm

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  15. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    Wilf wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Wilf wrote:
    >>> Strange, though. So the longer I use the JMC the more likely it is
    >>> that it'll get too large and have to be reset? Is this a bug or what?
    >>>

    >> Yes, its been recognized by Mozilla, and there was some consideration
    >> given to building in an automatic size limitation to the product but
    >> it hasnt been implemented as of yet.

    > I'd better stick with K9 then, which is a Bayesian filter which is (for
    > me anyway) almost 100% accurate and never has to be reset.

    Well mine is 99.8% accurate, and I havent had to reset anything

  16. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    Wilf wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Wilf wrote:
    >>> Strange, though. So the longer I use the JMC the more likely it is
    >>> that it'll get too large and have to be reset? Is this a bug or what?
    >>>

    >> Yes, its been recognized by Mozilla, and there was some consideration
    >> given to building in an automatic size limitation to the product but
    >> it hasnt been implemented as of yet.

    > I'd better stick with K9 then, which is a Bayesian filter which is (for
    > me anyway) almost 100% accurate and never has to be reset.

    Wilf, could you post your configuration for K9? I used to use it when I
    was running Norton AV and TB. When I switched to free AVG I could not
    get the setup to work. I really would like to go back to K9. It was at
    99% when I stopped using it. TB has never even approached that
    efficiency for me.

    Penthor

  17. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    Brian Heinrich wrote:
    > On 2006-12-29 05:19 (-0700 UTC), Penthor-Mul wrote:
    >
    >> Snagglepuss wrote:

    >>> SIX MEGS!!!! Yikes. I would delete the file and start again.

    >> OK, I'll shut down and dump that bad boy. I had no idea there was a
    >> size limit for that file. I guess I missed that. Thanks for the
    >> education.

    > There is no size limit; it's just that the larger it gets, the more
    > cruft it has in it, and the less efficient it becomes.
    >
    > Dan tends to recommend deleting the file and starting over, while I tend
    > to recommend using the Bayes Junk Tool to 'fine tune' JMC by removing
    > the cruft (/i.e./, entries below a certain score).
    >
    > For more on BJT, see .
    >
    > /b.

    Thanks, I'm reading up right now

    Penthor

  18. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    Snagglepuss wrote:
    > Penthor-Mul wrote:
    >> OK, I'll shut down and dump that bad boy. I had no idea there was a
    >> size limit for that file. I guess I missed that. Thanks for the
    >> education.

    > http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...c7c3a2c91cb234

    How come the simplest ideas are always the hardest to come up with?!
    Thanks.

    Penthor

  19. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    Penthor-Mul wrote:
    > Snagglepuss wrote:
    >> Penthor-Mul wrote:

    >>> Training.dat = 6MB
    >>>
    >>> The JMC is catching about 50% of the spam and correctly routing it to
    >>> the Junk folder. JMC is still activated for my account.
    >>>
    >>> I remember there was a place to set the "aggressiveness" of the JMC
    >>> between 0 & 100, but I forgot where that setting is. I think I had
    >>> set it fairly aggressive; about 5 or less.

    >> SIX MEGS!!!! Yikes. I would delete the file and start again.

    > OK, I'll shut down and dump that bad boy. I had no idea there was a
    > size limit for that file. I guess I missed that. Thanks for the
    > education.

    OK, I renamed training.dat to training.old. The new training.dat was
    created. It is already 904KB. The jury is still out on how effective
    the filter is now. I'll know in a week or so; I get a lot of spam,
    50-75/day.

    Penthor

  20. Re: Junk Mail Controls stopped working, mostly

    Penthor-Mul wrote:
    > Penthor-Mul wrote:
    >> Snagglepuss wrote:

    >>> SIX MEGS!!!! Yikes. I would delete the file and start again.

    >> OK, I'll shut down and dump that bad boy. I had no idea there was a
    >> size limit for that file. I guess I missed that. Thanks for the
    >> education.

    > OK, I renamed training.dat to training.old. The new training.dat was
    > created. It is already 904KB. The jury is still out on how effective
    > the filter is now. I'll know in a week or so; I get a lot of spam,
    > 50-75/day.
    >
    > Penthor

    Tell me, are you marking non junk as non juck with the aid of Mnenhy?
    My training.dat is 380KB and thats after 6 months! (Active since July)
    904KB after one day is really excessive

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast