Filter for auto-printing - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Filter for auto-printing - Mozilla ; It would be nice to have a feature, that I've had on various other email clients that would allow an action with setting up a filter to automatically print the email message(WITHOUT headers) when received. This filter action would make ...

  1. Filter for auto-printing

    It would be nice to have a feature, that I've had on various other email
    clients that would allow an action with setting up a filter to
    automatically print the email message(WITHOUT headers) when received.

    This filter action would make it easier than having to go back and
    select each message that you have not printed yet, right-click and
    select edit as new, and then print. There are days when 200-300
    emails come in that need printing and is prohibitive of doing this. At
    this time, I have to use an inferior client that at least auto-prints
    without headers.

    Lance

  2. Re: Filter for auto-printing

    Lance R wrote in

    > It would be nice to have a feature, that I've had on various
    > other email clients that would allow an action with setting up
    > a filter to automatically print the email message(WITHOUT
    > headers) when received.
    >
    > This filter action would make it easier than having to go back
    > and select each message that you have not printed yet,
    > right-click and select edit as new, and then print. There
    > are days when 200-300 emails come in that need printing and is
    > prohibitive of doing this. At this time, I have to use an
    > inferior client that at least auto-prints without headers.

    Why in the world are you printing hundreds of emails?

    --
    Netscape FAQs: http://www.ufaq.org/
    Netscape 6/7 Tips: http://www.holgermetzger.de/net6e.html

    Find out what you can't do and don't do it! (Alf)

  3. Re: Filter for auto-printing

    Lance R wrote:
    > It would be nice to have a feature, that I've had on various other
    > email clients that would allow an action with setting up a filter
    > to automatically print the email message(WITHOUT headers) when
    > received.
    >
    > This filter action would make it easier than having to go back and
    > select each message that you have not printed yet, right-click and
    > select edit as new, and then print. There are days when 200-300
    > emails come in that need printing and is prohibitive of doing this.
    > At this time, I have to use an inferior client that at least
    > auto-prints without headers.
    >
    > Lance

    Hi,

    Not that I have ever seen/heard off.

    You may be better looking for an actual application that will do this
    out with your email application.

    First Google match: http://www.automatic-print-email.com/

    I have never used it, and know nothing about it. Only suggesting that
    the email client may be the wrong area to try doing this.

    Ian

  4. Re: Filter for auto-printing

    I agree. Unconventional, but done, none the less.

    Courier, for example, has a filter action of autoprint.

    Outlook has some add-ins for this.

    Ian wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Not that I have ever seen/heard off.
    >
    > You may be better looking for an actual application that will do this
    > out with your email application.
    >
    > First Google match: http://www.automatic-print-email.com/
    >
    > I have never used it, and know nothing about it. Only suggesting that
    > the email client may be the wrong area to try doing this.
    >
    > Ian

  5. Re: Filter for auto-printing

    I did a Google on this subject hoping to find a Thunderbird add-on, and
    I'm surprised to hear the idea was so firmly rejected.

    > Why in the world are you printing hundreds of emails?

    The idea is not to print an inbox, silly. It's to have specific,
    filtered messages sent directly to the printer. I run a small business
    and would *love* to have my purchase orders sent directly to the
    printer upon receipt. Or that weekly family letter from my dad. Just a
    few things.

    I think this is a terrific idea, and I'm not surprised to see some
    commercial apps based on it. I know of at least the one mentioned
    above, and Mail-print.com. The problem with these services is they
    require an extra program to run in the systray, and who wants that.

    Wouldn't it be trivial to add a print function to the filter actions?
    As the original poster said, competing apps seem to have this function.

  6. Re: Filter for auto-printing

    On 2007-01-12 19:18 (-0700 UTC), PC Gamer Podcast wrote:

    > Wouldn't it be trivial to add a print function to the filter actions?

    I'm not sure, since, AFAIK, the print server/spool exists at the OS level.

    > As the original poster said, competing apps seem to have this function.

    I'm assuming O/OE?

    /b.

    --
    'There is caution, and there is irrational paranoia.' -- Ron Hunter

    'And, yes, I AM a bit paranoid. After 25 years online, one gets that way,
    if one survives.' -- Ron Hunter

  7. Re: Filter for auto-printing

    "PC Gamer Podcast" wrote in
    news:1168654703.178669.60400@q2g2000cwa.googlegrou ps.com:

    > I think this is a terrific idea, and I'm not surprised to see
    > some commercial apps based on it. I know of at least the one
    > mentioned above, and Mail-print.com. The problem with these
    > services is they require an extra program to run in the
    > systray, and who wants that.
    >
    > Wouldn't it be trivial to add a print function to the filter
    > actions? As the original poster said, competing apps seem to
    > have this function.

    Actually, they don't. There are apps that will do this with
    certain mail clients. Y'know, those things running in the system
    tray.

    --
    Netscape FAQs: http://www.ufaq.org/
    Netscape 6/7 Tips: http://www.holgermetzger.de/net6e.html
    Web page validation: http://validator.w3.org
    About Mozilla: http://www.mozilla.org

    Love is a many-splintered thing

  8. Re: Filter for auto-printing

    PC Gamer Podcast wrote:
    > I did a Google on this subject hoping to find a Thunderbird add-on, and
    > I'm surprised to hear the idea was so firmly rejected.
    >
    >> Why in the world are you printing hundreds of emails?

    > The idea is not to print an inbox, silly. It's to have specific,
    > filtered messages sent directly to the printer. I run a small business
    > and would *love* to have my purchase orders sent directly to the
    > printer upon receipt. Or that weekly family letter from my dad. Just a
    > few things.
    >
    > I think this is a terrific idea, and I'm not surprised to see some
    > commercial apps based on it. I know of at least the one mentioned
    > above, and Mail-print.com. The problem with these services is they
    > require an extra program to run in the systray, and who wants that.
    >
    > Wouldn't it be trivial to add a print function to the filter actions?
    > As the original poster said, competing apps seem to have this function.

    Sounds like a useful idea. Why don't you submit it as an RFE (Request
    For Enhancement) on Bugzilla. Who knows, maybe someone will think it is
    worth including in TB, or at least writing an extension for.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  9. Re: Filter for auto-printing

    PC Gamer Podcast wrote:
    > I did a Google on this subject hoping to find a Thunderbird add-on, and
    > I'm surprised to hear the idea was so firmly rejected.
    >
    >> Why in the world are you printing hundreds of emails?

    > The idea is not to print an inbox, silly. It's to have specific,
    > filtered messages sent directly to the printer. I run a small business
    > and would *love* to have my purchase orders sent directly to the
    > printer upon receipt. Or that weekly family letter from my dad. Just a
    > few things.
    >
    > I think this is a terrific idea, and I'm not surprised to see some
    > commercial apps based on it. I know of at least the one mentioned
    > above, and Mail-print.com. The problem with these services is they
    > require an extra program to run in the systray, and who wants that.
    >
    > Wouldn't it be trivial to add a print function to the filter actions?
    > As the original poster said, competing apps seem to have this function.

    I for one, would use it.

+ Reply to Thread