Word wrap incorrect when composing - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Word wrap incorrect when composing - Mozilla ; It has been set in the "options" to "Wrap plain text message at 72 characters". However, I found that TB failed to count the characters correctly. It actually wraps the text in the editor at about 120 characters. When a ...

  1. Word wrap incorrect when composing

    It has been set in the "options" to "Wrap plain text message at 72
    characters". However, I found that TB failed to count the characters
    correctly. It actually wraps the text in the editor at about 120
    characters. When a message is sent out, the word wrap is correct. But
    when I am composing a message, the display in the editor is wrong.

    It also seems that this problem is somehow related to font settings.
    When the display font is "Time and New Roman", everything is all right.
    But when I change the font to "Tahoma" or else, the problem appears.

    Is it a bug? How to fix it?

  2. Re: Word wrap incorrect when composing

    Guo, Xunhua wrote:
    > It has been set in the "options" to "Wrap plain text message at 72
    > characters". However, I found that TB failed to count the characters
    > correctly. It actually wraps the text in the editor at about 120
    > characters. When a message is sent out, the word wrap is correct. But
    > when I am composing a message, the display in the editor is wrong.
    >
    > It also seems that this problem is somehow related to font settings.
    > When the display font is "Time and New Roman", everything is all right.
    > But when I change the font to "Tahoma" or else, the problem appears.
    >
    > Is it a bug? How to fix it?

    Plain text editor assumes that the font you're using is monospace. If
    you pick a proportional font, the actual width is calculated by
    multiplying the wrap column (72) by the pixel width of some sample
    character (I don't know which, but it's something like 'M'). Since many
    letters are narrower than 'M', you can fit more into the space.

    If you really want to compose with a proportional font, the best option
    is to compose as HTML. Unless you use formatting or specifically
    configure certain recipients to receive HTML, the message will go out as
    plain text.

  3. Re: Word wrap incorrect when composing

    on 2006-12-6 4:59, Mike Cowperthwaite wrote:
    > Guo, Xunhua wrote:
    >> It has been set in the "options" to "Wrap plain text message at 72
    >> characters". However, I found that TB failed to count the characters
    >> correctly. It actually wraps the text in the editor at about 120
    >> characters. When a message is sent out, the word wrap is correct. But
    >> when I am composing a message, the display in the editor is wrong.
    >>
    >> It also seems that this problem is somehow related to font settings.
    >> When the display font is "Time and New Roman", everything is all right.
    >> But when I change the font to "Tahoma" or else, the problem appears.
    >>
    >> Is it a bug? How to fix it?

    > Plain text editor assumes that the font you're using is monospace. If
    > you pick a proportional font, the actual width is calculated by
    > multiplying the wrap column (72) by the pixel width of some sample
    > character (I don't know which, but it's something like 'M'). Since many
    > letters are narrower than 'M', you can fit more into the space.
    >
    > If you really want to compose with a proportional font, the best option
    > is to compose as HTML. Unless you use formatting or specifically
    > configure certain recipients to receive HTML, the message will go out as
    > plain text.

    I see. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread