TB wont launch FF in Linux (Ubuntu) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on TB wont launch FF in Linux (Ubuntu) - Mozilla ; Hi Guru's TB does not launch FF when clicking on a link in a NG post. Does this not work out of the box on Linux (Ubuntu)? I looked in Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Config editor but can't ...

  1. TB wont launch FF in Linux (Ubuntu)

    Hi Guru's

    TB does not launch FF when clicking on a link in a NG post. Does this
    not work out of the box on Linux (Ubuntu)?

    I looked in Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Config editor

    but can't see where I define FF as the browser to open on clicking a URI.

    If someone can point me to a post or link, I'd appreciate it.

    --
    Regards: *krONik*
    "Somewhere ... *something incredible* is waiting to be known!"

  2. Re: TB wont launch FF in Linux (Ubuntu)

    kronik wrote:

    > Hi Guru's
    >
    > TB does not launch FF when clicking on a link in a NG post. Does this
    > not work out of the box on Linux (Ubuntu)?
    >
    > I looked in Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Config editor
    >
    > but can't see where I define FF as the browser to open on clicking a URI.
    >
    > If someone can point me to a post or link, I'd appreciate it.

    Now this is weird. Sort of good, but weird. I was in TB Extensions
    window and when I click the "get more extensions" button, it actually
    uses FF to find the webpage. Desirable behaviour and I am not
    complaining. =8^)

    So, why does clicking a URI load it up in FF when done from TB's
    extensions window, but, FF is not launched when clicking a URI TB's
    message pane window?

    --
    Regards: *krONik*
    "Somewhere ... *something incredible* is waiting to be known!"
    Carl Sagan [1939 - 1996]

  3. Re: TB wont launch FF in Linux (Ubuntu)

    On 2006-12-02 16:17 (-0700 UTC), kronik wrote:

    > Hi Guru's
    >
    > TB does not launch FF when clicking on a link in a NG post. Does this
    > not work out of the box on Linux (Ubuntu)?
    >
    > I looked in Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Config editor
    >
    > but can't see where I define FF as the browser to open on clicking a URI.
    >
    > If someone can point me to a post or link, I'd appreciate it.

    WFM under SUSE 10.1, with Fx and Tb as default clients.

    /b.

    --
    'There is caution, and there is irrational paranoia.' -- Ron Hunter

  4. Re: TB wont launch FF in Linux (Ubuntu)

    Brian Heinrich wrote:
    > On 2006-12-02 16:17 (-0700 UTC), kronik wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Guru's
    >>
    >> TB does not launch FF when clicking on a link in a NG post. Does this
    >> not work out of the box on Linux (Ubuntu)?
    >>
    >> I looked in Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Config editor
    >>
    >> but can't see where I define FF as the browser to open on clicking a URI.
    >>
    >> If someone can point me to a post or link, I'd appreciate it.

    > WFM under SUSE 10.1, with Fx and Tb as default clients.
    >
    > /b.

    Thanks for the suggestion Brian. In Ubuntu, I go to:

    System > Preferences > Preferred Applications > Internet [tab]

    Webbrowser is specified as FF with open link in new tab radial selected
    and the command:

    firefox -remote "openurl(%s,new-tab)"

    Mail Reader is specified as TB with the command

    mozilla-thunderbird %s

    FF does open TB when clicking on a mailto:link, yet, TB does not
    reciprocate by launching FF when I click on a link in the message
    preview pane. =8^(

    I don't know why TB is being so naughty!

    --
    Regards: *krONik*
    "Somewhere ... *something incredible* is waiting to be known!"
    Carl Sagan [1939 - 1996]

  5. Re: TB wont launch FF in Linux (Ubuntu)

    On 12/02/2006 06:14 PM, kronik wrote:
    >> On 2006-12-02 16:17 (-0700 UTC), kronik wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi Guru's
    >>>
    >>> TB does not launch FF when clicking on a link in a NG post. Does this
    >>> not work out of the box on Linux (Ubuntu)?
    >>> [...]

    > System > Preferences > Preferred Applications > Internet [tab]
    >
    > Webbrowser is specified as FF with open link in new tab radial selected
    > and the command:
    >
    > firefox -remote "openurl(%s,new-tab)"
    > [...]

    Try "firefox %s" instead. That's what I have, and it works under Debian
    Sarge and Gnome. It didn't work out of the box; I had to set the
    defaults myself in the gnome-control-center.

    --
    paduille.4060.mumia.w@earthlink.net

  6. Re: TB wont launch FF in Linux (Ubuntu)

    On 2006-12-02 20:32 (-0700 UTC), Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:

    > On 12/02/2006 06:14 PM, kronik wrote:

    >> firefox -remote "openurl(%s,new-tab)"
    >> [...]

    > Try "firefox %s" instead. That's what I have, and it works under Debian
    > Sarge and Gnome. It didn't work out of the box; I had to set the
    > defaults myself in the gnome-control-center.

    Here (SUSE 10.1/KDE 3.5), the out-of-the-box default was |firefox %u|.

    /b.

    --
    'There is caution, and there is irrational paranoia.' -- Ron Hunter

  7. Re: TB wont launch FF in Linux (Ubuntu)

    kronik wrote:
    > Brian Heinrich wrote:
    >> On 2006-12-02 16:17 (-0700 UTC), kronik wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi Guru's
    >>>
    >>> TB does not launch FF when clicking on a link in a NG post. Does this
    >>> not work out of the box on Linux (Ubuntu)?
    >>>
    >>> I looked in Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Config editor
    >>>
    >>> but can't see where I define FF as the browser to open on clicking a
    >>> URI.
    >>>
    >>> If someone can point me to a post or link, I'd appreciate it.

    >> WFM under SUSE 10.1, with Fx and Tb as default clients.
    >>
    >> /b.
    >>

    > Thanks for the suggestion Brian. In Ubuntu, I go to:
    >
    > System > Preferences > Preferred Applications > Internet [tab]
    >
    > Webbrowser is specified as FF with open link in new tab radial selected
    > and the command:
    >
    > firefox -remote "openurl(%s,new-tab)"
    >
    > Mail Reader is specified as TB with the command
    >
    > mozilla-thunderbird %s
    >
    > FF does open TB when clicking on a mailto:link, yet, TB does not
    > reciprocate by launching FF when I click on a link in the message
    > preview pane. =8^(
    >
    > I don't know why TB is being so naughty!

    I had a similar problem with Kubuntu. However, Firefox was installed
    with the package tool (Adept) when I did the original install, but I
    added TBird by downloading and unpacking. When things didn't work
    properly with links, I un-installed TBird and re-installed it with Adept
    and all came good.

    --
    Take care

    Sadiq