User-Agent etc. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on User-Agent etc. - Mozilla ; I note that Mnenhy offers highly customisable mail header view options, and I started looking at user agent/mailer options. Could someone please provide some background about and the differences between User Agent, X-Mailer, X-Mimeole and why messages from some senders ...

  1. User-Agent etc.

    I note that Mnenhy offers highly customisable mail header view options,
    and I started looking at user agent/mailer options.

    Could someone please provide some background about and the differences
    between User Agent, X-Mailer, X-Mimeole and why messages from some
    senders still don't reveal any information about how the messages have
    been sent, despite the fact that I have all three options activated in
    my customised header view?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  2. Re: User-Agent etc.

    Herb wrote:
    > I note that Mnenhy offers highly customisable mail header view options,
    > and I started looking at user agent/mailer options.
    >
    > Could someone please provide some background about and the differences
    > between User Agent, X-Mailer, X-Mimeole and why messages from some
    > senders still don't reveal any information about how the messages have
    > been sent, despite the fact that I have all three options activated in
    > my customised header view?

    The User Agent is specified by the program (and customizable in most
    applications)

    The X-Mimeole header is specific to Microsoft Products and is non
    standard (and is customizeable in some applications)

    The X-Mailer header is specified by the program (and customizable in
    most applications)

    You will never be able to determine exactly how every message was sent,
    or where it came from, or in some cases, even how it got there. If you
    could then spammers couldnt exist.

  3. Re: User-Agent etc.

    On 02.11.2006 21:09 UK Time, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Herb wrote:
    >> I note that Mnenhy offers highly customisable mail header view
    >> options, and I started looking at user agent/mailer options.
    >>
    >> Could someone please provide some background about and the differences
    >> between User Agent, X-Mailer, X-Mimeole and why messages from some
    >> senders still don't reveal any information about how the messages have
    >> been sent, despite the fact that I have all three options activated in
    >> my customised header view?
    >>

    > The User Agent is specified by the program (and customizable in most
    > applications)
    >
    > The X-Mimeole header is specific to Microsoft Products and is non
    > standard (and is customizeable in some applications)
    >
    > The X-Mailer header is specified by the program (and customizable in
    > most applications)
    >

    > You will never be able to determine exactly how every message was sent,
    > or where it came from, or in some cases, even how it got there. If you
    > could then spammers couldnt exist.

    Hi Dan,

    thanks for your reply.

    I wasn't really thinking of spammers in this context - I simply like to
    know what software my correspondents use.

    I currently have User Agent, X-Mailer, X-Mimeole activated in my custom
    header view, but I there are still quite a few messages that don't show
    any pertinent information.

    Is there another relevant parameter I can activate?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  4. Re: User-Agent etc.

    _Herb_ spoke thusly on 03/11/2006 2:10 AM:
    > I currently have User Agent, X-Mailer, X-Mimeole activated in my custom
    > header view, but I there are still quite a few messages that don't show
    > any pertinent information.
    >
    > Is there another relevant parameter I can activate?

    Some use X-Newsreader .
    For Google users, you'll need X-HTTP-UserAgent .
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  5. Re: User-Agent etc.

    On 03.11.2006 09:44 UK Time, Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Herb_ spoke thusly on 03/11/2006 2:10 AM:
    >> I currently have User Agent, X-Mailer, X-Mimeole activated in my custom
    >> header view, but I there are still quite a few messages that don't show
    >> any pertinent information.
    >>
    >> Is there another relevant parameter I can activate?

    > Some use X-Newsreader .
    > For Google users, you'll need X-HTTP-UserAgent .

    Thanks, I'll try that.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk