On linux, links in a message don't open on Firefox. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on On linux, links in a message don't open on Firefox. - Mozilla ; Hi, I use Thunderbird and Firefox on Linux Gentoo with Kernel 2.6 and KDE 3.5. On e-mail message containing links thunderbird does not open the links on Firefox or any other browser I have installed. Other applications on my machine ...

  1. On linux, links in a message don't open on Firefox.

    Hi,

    I use Thunderbird and Firefox on Linux Gentoo with Kernel 2.6 and KDE 3.5. On e-mail
    message containing links thunderbird does not open the links on Firefox or any other
    browser I have installed. Other applications on my machine open links on Firefox by
    default. I was told to make a link so that /usr/bin/x-www-browser link to my favorite
    browser but that doesn't seem to work.
    Any idea?

    --
    Thanks.

    David Harel,

    ==================================

    Home office +972 77 4422234
    Fax: +972 77 4422234
    Cellular: +972 54 4534502
    Snail Mail: Amuka
    D.N Merom Hagalil
    13802
    Israel
    Email: hareldvd@ergolight-sw.com

  2. Re: On linux, links in a message don't open on Firefox.

    David Harel wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I use Thunderbird and Firefox on Linux Gentoo with Kernel 2.6 and KDE
    > 3.5. On e-mail message containing links thunderbird does not open the
    > links on Firefox or any other browser I have installed. Other
    > applications on my machine open links on Firefox by default. I was told
    > to make a link so that /usr/bin/x-www-browser link to my favorite
    > browser but that doesn't seem to work.
    > Any idea?

    See this help page : http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser#Linux

    if you still have same problem try this method :
    ( goto firefox profile folder
    [http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Firefox] and backup 'prefs.js' file )
    In Thunderbird , goto Edit>Preferences>Advanced>General>Config Editor.
    right click on preference window , select 'New' > 'String'

    you will be prompted to enter preference name .
    type this

    network.protocol-handler.app.http

    when you click on 'Ok' , you will be prompted to enter the string value .
    type the full path of 'firefox' file like
    /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.7/firefox

    Restart Thunderbird and check

  3. Re: On linux, links in a message don't open on Firefox.

    On 10/16/2006 12:34 PM, David Harel wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I use Thunderbird and Firefox on Linux Gentoo with Kernel 2.6 and KDE
    > 3.5. On e-mail message containing links thunderbird does not open the
    > links on Firefox or any other browser I have installed. Other
    > applications on my machine open links on Firefox by default. I was told
    > to make a link so that /usr/bin/x-www-browser link to my favorite
    > browser but that doesn't seem to work.
    > Any idea?

    I used the gnome-control-center to make Firefox the preferred browser
    for Gnome, and that allows TB to open FX from links in e-mails. If you
    didn't install (Gentoo-speak: build) the gnome-control-center, then use
    one of the other methods for solving this as posted by Nir.

    --
    paduille.4059.mumia.w@earthlink.net

  4. Re: On linux, links in a message don't open on Firefox.

    David Harel wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I use Thunderbird and Firefox on Linux Gentoo with Kernel 2.6 and KDE
    > 3.5. On e-mail message containing links thunderbird does not open the
    > links on Firefox or any other browser I have installed. Other
    > applications on my machine open links on Firefox by default. I was told
    > to make a link so that /usr/bin/x-www-browser link to my favorite
    > browser but that doesn't seem to work.
    > Any idea?

    Yep. Make sure that you have FF as your default browser
    (Edit/Preferences/Main>System Defaults>Check Now).

    (BTW, do same in Thunderbird otherwise FF will not call TB when you go

    Cheers.

    --
    This computer is environment-friendly and is running on OpenSuSE 10.1

  5. Re: On linux, links in a message don't open on Firefox.

    Thanks, It is now working. I had to do the second stage. The first stage I did already
    however, using your reply, I think I understand why I had problems from the first place.
    The here is how does Thunderbird realize which environment (Gnome, KDE) it is in and use
    the right setting of that environment. I guess that my installation can't have any "idea"
    because I used a binary package. Maybe if I use a source level package, it would configure
    correctly.

    Nir wrote:
    > David Harel wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I use Thunderbird and Firefox on Linux Gentoo with Kernel 2.6 and KDE
    >> 3.5. On e-mail message containing links thunderbird does not open the
    >> links on Firefox or any other browser I have installed. Other
    >> applications on my machine open links on Firefox by default. I was
    >> told to make a link so that /usr/bin/x-www-browser link to my favorite
    >> browser but that doesn't seem to work.
    >> Any idea?
    >>

    > See this help page : http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser#Linux
    >
    > if you still have same problem try this method :
    > ( goto firefox profile folder
    > [http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Firefox] and backup 'prefs.js' file )
    > In Thunderbird , goto Edit>Preferences>Advanced>General>Config Editor.
    > right click on preference window , select 'New' > 'String'
    >
    > you will be prompted to enter preference name .
    > type this
    >
    > network.protocol-handler.app.http
    >
    > when you click on 'Ok' , you will be prompted to enter the string value .
    > type the full path of 'firefox' file like
    > /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.7/firefox
    >
    > Restart Thunderbird and check

    Regards.

    David Harel,