attachment icon in message-list pane barely visible - Mozilla

This is a discussion on attachment icon in message-list pane barely visible - Mozilla ; In the message-list pane, the attachment icon (the paper clip) is not visible, since it is the same color as my background color of black. How do I change the color of the attachment icon to my foreground color? --thanks ...

  1. attachment icon in message-list pane barely visible

    In the message-list pane, the attachment icon (the paper clip) is not
    visible, since it is the same color as my background color of black.
    How do I change the color of the attachment icon to my foreground
    color?

    --thanks
    --ram

  2. Re: attachment icon in message-list pane barely visible

    T-bird Leader ram radioed the tower On 10/13/2006 11:56 PM:

    > In the message-list pane, the attachment icon (the paper clip) is not
    > visible, since it is the same color as my background color of black.
    > How do I change the color of the attachment icon to my foreground
    > color?
    >
    > --thanks
    > --ram

    What theme are you using? Are you using a Chrome override in
    user.chrome.css for the background color? Which TB version does this effect?

    Usually the theme builders provide the icons for the UI skin if they are
    doing a full UI skin. Even with partial skins that is one I believe most
    will coordinate with there theme.

    The hard way to change the icon requires disassembly of the themes JAR
    file and replacement of the paper clip icon with your own graphic. After
    that you have to re-zip the content back to the proper file type.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting.

  3. Re: attachment icon in message-list pane barely visible

    Ron K. wrote:
    > T-bird Leader ram radioed the tower On 10/13/2006 11:56 PM:
    >
    > > In the message-list pane, the attachment icon (the paper clip) is not
    > > visible, since it is the same color as my background color of black.
    > > How do I change the color of the attachment icon to my foreground
    > > color?
    > >
    > > --thanks
    > > --ram
    > >

    > What theme are you using? Are you using a Chrome override in
    > user.chrome.css for the background color? Which TB version does this effect?
    >
    > Usually the theme builders provide the icons for the UI skin if they are
    > doing a full UI skin. Even with partial skins that is one I believe most
    > will coordinate with there theme.

    Dear Ron: I am using the default theme that came with the TB. I am
    changing the background and foreground colors, using the config editor
    (display.foreground ...). Since the theme uses a white background/black
    foreground, and my customized background is black, the paper clip
    disappears into the background. This is my problem.

    Unravelling the JAR files seem too complicated. Is there a simpler
    solution you can think of?

    --thanks
    --ram

    > The hard way to change the icon requires disassembly of the themes JAR
    > file and replacement of the paper clip icon with your own graphic. After
    > that you have to re-zip the content back to the proper file type.
    >
    > --
    > Ron K.
    > Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting.

  4. Re: attachment icon in message-list pane barely visible

    ram wrote:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> T-bird Leader ram radioed the tower On 10/13/2006 11:56 PM:
    >>
    >>> In the message-list pane, the attachment icon (the paper clip) is not
    >>> visible, since it is the same color as my background color of black.
    >>> How do I change the color of the attachment icon to my foreground
    >>> color?
    >>>
    >>> --thanks
    >>> --ram
    >>>

    >> What theme are you using? Are you using a Chrome override in
    >> user.chrome.css for the background color? Which TB version does this effect?
    >>
    >> Usually the theme builders provide the icons for the UI skin if they are
    >> doing a full UI skin. Even with partial skins that is one I believe most
    >> will coordinate with there theme.

    > Dear Ron: I am using the default theme that came with the TB. I am
    > changing the background and foreground colors, using the config editor
    > (display.foreground ...). Since the theme uses a white background/black
    > foreground, and my customized background is black, the paper clip
    > disappears into the background. This is my problem.
    >
    > Unravelling the JAR files seem too complicated. Is there a simpler
    > solution you can think of?

    /snip/

    There is no other answer, really. What version of TB are you using?
    There may be a 3rd party theme that adjusts this for you.

    By the way, since you are using TB, you might find it easier to set up
    news.mozilla.org as a newsgroup account in TB, rather then accessing it
    via googlegroups.

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  5. Re: attachment icon in message-list pane barely visible

    ram wrote:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> T-bird Leader ram radioed the tower On 10/13/2006 11:56 PM:
    >>
    >>> In the message-list pane, the attachment icon (the paper clip) is not
    >>> visible, since it is the same color as my background color of black.
    >>> How do I change the color of the attachment icon to my foreground
    >>> color?
    >>>
    >>> --thanks
    >>> --ram
    >>>

    >> What theme are you using? Are you using a Chrome override in
    >> user.chrome.css for the background color? Which TB version does this effect?
    >>
    >> Usually the theme builders provide the icons for the UI skin if they are
    >> doing a full UI skin. Even with partial skins that is one I believe most
    >> will coordinate with there theme.

    > Dear Ron: I am using the default theme that came with the TB. I am
    > changing the background and foreground colors, using the config editor
    > (display.foreground ...). Since the theme uses a white background/black
    > foreground, and my customized background is black, the paper clip
    > disappears into the background. This is my problem.
    >
    > Unravelling the JAR files seem too complicated. Is there a simpler
    > solution you can think of?
    >
    > --thanks
    > --ram
    >> The hard way to change the icon requires disassembly of the themes JAR
    >> file and replacement of the paper clip icon with your own graphic. After
    >> that you have to re-zip the content back to the proper file type.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ron K.
    >> Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting.

    Just check this code :

    (put this code in userChrome.css file )
    treechildren::-moz-tree-image(attachmentCol, attach) {
    background-color: yellow !important;
    }

  6. Re: attachment icon in message-list pane barely visible

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > ram wrote:
    > > Ron K. wrote:
    > >> T-bird Leader ram radioed the tower On 10/13/2006 11:56 PM:

    > >> What theme are you using? Are you using a Chrome override in
    > >> user.chrome.css for the background color? Which TB version does this effect?
    > >>
    > >> Usually the theme builders provide the icons for the UI skin if they are
    > >> doing a full UI skin. Even with partial skins that is one I believe most
    > >> will coordinate with there theme.

    > > Dear Ron: I am using the default theme that came with the TB. I am
    > > changing the background and foreground colors, using the config editor
    > > (display.foreground ...). Since the theme uses a white background/black
    > > foreground, and my customized background is black, the paper clip
    > > disappears into the background. This is my problem.
    > >
    > > Unravelling the JAR files seem too complicated. Is there a simpler
    > > solution you can think of?
    > >

    > /snip/
    >
    > There is no other answer, really. What version of TB are you using?
    > There may be a 3rd party theme that adjusts this for you.
    >
    > By the way, since you are using TB, you might find it easier to set up
    > news.mozilla.org as a newsgroup account in TB, rather then accessing it
    > via googlegroups.
    >
    > Lee
    >
    > --
    > Leonidas Jones, Mozilla/Netscape Champion
    > Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
    > The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    > http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
    > http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

    Dear Lee: I am using TB 1.5.0.7; I will set up the news group in TB to
    read the messages, as you have suggested.
    --thanks
    --ram

  7. Re: attachment icon in message-list pane barely visible

    Nir wrote:
    > ram wrote:
    > > Ron K. wrote:
    > >> T-bird Leader ram radioed the tower On 10/13/2006 11:56 PM:

    > >> What theme are you using? Are you using a Chrome override in
    > >> user.chrome.css for the background color? Which TB version does this effect?
    > >>
    > >> Usually the theme builders provide the icons for the UI skin if they are
    > >> doing a full UI skin. Even with partial skins that is one I believe most
    > >> will coordinate with there theme.

    > > Dear Ron: I am using the default theme that came with the TB. I am
    > > changing the background and foreground colors, using the config editor
    > > (display.foreground ...). Since the theme uses a white background/black
    > > foreground, and my customized background is black, the paper clip
    > > disappears into the background. This is my problem.
    > >
    > > Unravelling the JAR files seem too complicated. Is there a simpler
    > > solution you can think of?
    > >
    > > --thanks
    > > --ram
    > >> The hard way to change the icon requires disassembly of the themes JAR
    > >> file and replacement of the paper clip icon with your own graphic. After
    > >> that you have to re-zip the content back to the proper file type.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ron K.
    > >> Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting.

    > Just check this code :
    >
    > (put this code in userChrome.css file )
    > treechildren::-moz-tree-image(attachmentCol, attach) {
    > background-color: yellow !important;
    > }

    Dear Nir: I put in the code as you suggested, but nothing seems to have
    happened--disappearance of the paper clip continues. Shall I try
    changing the foreground color?
    --thanks
    --ram

  8. Re: attachment icon in message-list pane barely visible

    ram wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> ram wrote:

    >>> Dear Ron: I am using the default theme that came with the TB. I am
    >>> changing the background and foreground colors, using the config editor
    >>> (display.foreground ...). Since the theme uses a white background/black
    >>> foreground, and my customized background is black, the paper clip
    >>> disappears into the background. This is my problem.
    >>>
    >>> Unravelling the JAR files seem too complicated. Is there a simpler
    >>> solution you can think of?
    >>>
    >>> --thanks
    >>> --ram

    >> Just check this code :
    >>
    >> (put this code in userChrome.css file )
    >> treechildren::-moz-tree-image(attachmentCol, attach) {
    >> background-color: yellow !important;
    >> }

    > Dear Nir: I put in the code as you suggested, but nothing seems to have
    > happened--disappearance of the paper clip continues. Shall I try
    > changing the foreground color?
    > --thanks
    > --ram

    I think you have put userChrome.css file in thunderbird profile folder
    > 'chrome' folder

    I have tried that code in TB-1.5.0.7 and seems to me that it works fine.
    Can you tell me what modification you have done in Config editor.

  9. Re: attachment icon in message-list pane barely visible

    Nir wrote:
    > ram wrote:
    > > Nir wrote:

    > >> Just check this code :
    > >>
    > >> (put this code in userChrome.css file )
    > >> treechildren::-moz-tree-image(attachmentCol, attach) {
    > >> background-color: yellow !important;
    > >> }

    > > Dear Nir: I put in the code as you suggested, but nothing seems to have
    > > happened--disappearance of the paper clip continues. Shall I try
    > > changing the foreground color?
    > > --thanks
    > > --ram
    > >

    > I think you have put userChrome.css file in thunderbird profile folder
    > > 'chrome' folder

    > I have tried that code in TB-1.5.0.7 and seems to me that it works fine.
    > Can you tell me what modification you have done in Config editor.

    Dear Nir: Yes, I have put userChrome.css in Profiles/Chrome folder.
    This is where I have put some of your other valuable suggestions on
    changing the header views. Is this the right place? Given below are my
    config editor modifications.

    browser.display.background_color #000000
    browser.display.foreground_color #ff0000

    similar settings for focus_background and focus_foreground colors.

    I have also set one other thing, that may cause the current fix not to
    work. this is browser.display.use_system_colors true.
    --thanks
    --ram

  10. Re: attachment icon in message-list pane barely visible

    ram wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> ram wrote:

    >>> Dear Nir: I put in the code as you suggested, but nothing seems to have
    >>> happened--disappearance of the paper clip continues. Shall I try
    >>> changing the foreground color?
    >>> --thanks
    >>> --ram
    >>>

    >> I think you have put userChrome.css file in thunderbird profile folder
    >> > 'chrome' folder

    >> I have tried that code in TB-1.5.0.7 and seems to me that it works fine.
    >> Can you tell me what modification you have done in Config editor.

    > Dear Nir: Yes, I have put userChrome.css in Profiles/Chrome folder.
    > This is where I have put some of your other valuable suggestions on
    > changing the header views. Is this the right place? Given below are my
    > config editor modifications.
    >
    > browser.display.background_color #000000
    > browser.display.foreground_color #ff0000
    >
    > similar settings for focus_background and focus_foreground colors.
    >
    > I have also set one other thing, that may cause the current fix not to
    > work. this is browser.display.use_system_colors true.
    > --thanks
    > --ram

    if i set
    'browser.display.background_color' to '#000000' and
    'browser.display.foreground_color' to '#ff0000'

    background and foreground color of 'Message Pane' ( not 'Message list
    Pane' ) is changed .
    i have found 'browser.display.focus_background_color' pref but haven't
    found any preference containing 'focus_foreground'

    Can you post a screenshot ( if possible ) elsewhere. Thanks

  11. Re: attachment icon in message-list pane barely visible

    Nir wrote:
    > ram wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:

    >>> I think you have put userChrome.css file in thunderbird profile folder
    >>> I have tried that code in TB-1.5.0.7 and seems to me that it works fine.
    >>> Can you tell me what modification you have done in Config editor.

    >> Dear Nir: Yes, I have put userChrome.css in Profiles/Chrome folder.
    >> This is where I have put some of your other valuable suggestions on
    >> changing the header views. Is this the right place? Given below are my
    >> config editor modifications.
    >>
    >> browser.display.background_color #000000
    >> browser.display.foreground_color #ff0000
    >>
    >> similar settings for focus_background and focus_foreground colors.
    >>
    >> I have also set one other thing, that may cause the current fix not to
    >> work. this is browser.display.use_system_colors true.
    >> --thanks
    >> --ram
    >>

    > if i set
    > 'browser.display.background_color' to '#000000' and
    > 'browser.display.foreground_color' to '#ff0000'
    >
    > background and foreground color of 'Message Pane' ( not 'Message list
    > Pane' ) is changed .
    > i have found 'browser.display.focus_background_color' pref but haven't
    > found any preference containing 'focus_foreground'
    >
    > Can you post a screenshot ( if possible ) elsewhere. Thanks

    ...in my Thunderbird ( after modifying through Config Editor ) it looks
    like this :
    http://nirmalya.sensarma.googlepages.com/snapshot6.png

  12. Re: attachment icon in message-list pane barely visible

    Nir wrote:
    > ram wrote:
    > > Nir wrote:

    > >> I think you have put userChrome.css file in thunderbird profile folder
    > >> I have tried that code in TB-1.5.0.7 and seems to me that it works fine.
    > >> Can you tell me what modification you have done in Config editor.

    > > Dear Nir: Yes, I have put userChrome.css in Profiles/Chrome folder.
    > > This is where I have put some of your other valuable suggestions on
    > > changing the header views. Is this the right place? Given below are my
    > > config editor modifications.
    > >
    > > browser.display.background_color #000000
    > > browser.display.foreground_color #ff0000
    > >
    > > similar settings for focus_background and focus_foreground colors.
    > >
    > > I have also set one other thing, that may cause the current fix not to
    > > work. this is browser.display.use_system_colors true.
    > > --thanks
    > > --ram
    > >

    > if i set
    > 'browser.display.background_color' to '#000000' and
    > 'browser.display.foreground_color' to '#ff0000'
    >
    > background and foreground color of 'Message Pane' ( not 'Message list
    > Pane' ) is changed .
    > i have found 'browser.display.focus_background_color' pref but haven't
    > found any preference containing 'focus_foreground'
    >
    > Can you post a screenshot ( if possible ) elsewhere. Thanks

    Ok, Nir: I will post a screen shot. The screen shot you posted is
    exactly what I want--just change the attachment icon column's
    background color.

    Also, the other config option is browser.display.focus_text_color
    #ff0000, and not browser.display.focus_foreground_color, as you
    correctly pointed out.
    --thanks
    --ram

  13. Re: attachment icon in message-list pane barely visible

    Nir wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    > > ram wrote:

    > >> Dear Nir: Yes, I have put userChrome.css in Profiles/Chrome folder.
    > >> This is where I have put some of your other valuable suggestions on
    > >> changing the header views. Is this the right place? Given below are my
    > >> config editor modifications.
    > >>
    > >> browser.display.background_color #000000
    > >> browser.display.foreground_color #ff0000
    > >>
    > >> similar settings for focus_background and focus_foreground colors.
    > >>
    > >> I have also set one other thing, that may cause the current fix not to
    > >> work. this is browser.display.use_system_colors true.
    > >> --thanks
    > >> --ram
    > >>

    > > if i set
    > > 'browser.display.background_color' to '#000000' and
    > > 'browser.display.foreground_color' to '#ff0000'
    > >
    > > background and foreground color of 'Message Pane' ( not 'Message list
    > > Pane' ) is changed .
    > > i have found 'browser.display.focus_background_color' pref but haven't
    > > found any preference containing 'focus_foreground'
    > >
    > > Can you post a screenshot ( if possible ) elsewhere. Thanks

    > ..in my Thunderbird ( after modifying through Config Editor ) it looks
    > like this :
    > http://nirmalya.sensarma.googlepages.com/snapshot6.png

    Dear Nir: Before posting the screen shot, I thought I will try your
    suggestions on my office pc, which is a windows xp machine. Here your
    suggestion works perfectly!!--it just changes the background color of
    the attachment icon column to whatever I put (yellow, red, etc). So I
    must be doing some thing wrong in my windows 2000 machine at home,
    where I noticed the problem originally. So let me try some more at home
    before posting the screen shots.

    Also, you are right; changing display.background and display.foreground
    color options in the config editor only changes the message pane, not
    the message-list pane. I do not know where it picks up the right color
    combos for my message list pane.

    --thanks a lot for your help. you are a life saver.
    --ram

  14. Re: attachment icon in message-list pane barely visible

    Nir wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    > > ram wrote:

    > >> Dear Nir: Yes, I have put userChrome.css in Profiles/Chrome folder.
    > >> This is where I have put some of your other valuable suggestions on
    > >> changing the header views. Is this the right place? Given below are my
    > >> config editor modifications.
    > >>
    > >> browser.display.background_color #000000
    > >> browser.display.foreground_color #ff0000
    > >>
    > >> similar settings for focus_background and focus_foreground colors.
    > >>
    > >> I have also set one other thing, that may cause the current fix not to
    > >> work. this is browser.display.use_system_colors true.
    > >> --thanks
    > >> --ram
    > >>

    > > if i set
    > > 'browser.display.background_color' to '#000000' and
    > > 'browser.display.foreground_color' to '#ff0000'
    > >
    > > background and foreground color of 'Message Pane' ( not 'Message list
    > > Pane' ) is changed .
    > > i have found 'browser.display.focus_background_color' pref but haven't
    > > found any preference containing 'focus_foreground'
    > >
    > > Can you post a screenshot ( if possible ) elsewhere. Thanks

    > ..in my Thunderbird ( after modifying through Config Editor ) it looks
    > like this :
    > http://nirmalya.sensarma.googlepages.com/snapshot6.png

    Dear Nir: your suggestion works on my home pc also!!! Since I do not
    know the syntax of CSS, I inserted your code in userChrome.css, but
    with a new line

    as follows:
    treechildren::-moz-tree-image
    (attachmentCol, attach) { ....
    This did not work; as soon as I corrected the code as
    treechildren::-moz-tree-image(attachmentCol, attach) {
    }
    it works; So is the statement terminator in css a new line? I assumed
    css is just like c, and I can insert a new line anywhere and continue
    the statement on the next line. Is this true as well in css?

    The code of course works great in both windows 2k and xp. Thanks again.
    --ram

+ Reply to Thread