Reading inbox problem - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Reading inbox problem - Mozilla ; I tried installing thunderbird and it seemed to go fine. I then set up a mail client, and told thunderbird to store the mail in a different directory. Thunderbird got the mail. I could see the headers. But I could ...

  1. Reading inbox problem

    I tried installing thunderbird and it seemed to go fine. I then set up a
    mail client, and told thunderbird to store the mail in a different
    directory.

    Thunderbird got the mail. I could see the headers. But I could not read any
    of the mail. So I closed down thunderbird.

    I went hunting on my PC and eventually found the file where the e-mail was
    located. Using notepad (!) I was able to work my way through the file,
    figure out what was in it, and use Outlook to compose replys / responses to
    the e-mail contained in the thunderbird inbox.

    I have re-installed thunderbird because it really IS a better newsreader /
    rss reader. I have saved the old thunderbird inbox as SavedInBox without an
    extension as the file did not have an extension when I found it.

    How can I get thunderbird to read this old inbox so that I can get properly
    formatted e-mail out. I've tried importing it, but thunderbird can't seem to
    find the file.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Reading inbox problem

    On 25.09.2006 16:55, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris Smith to
    generate the following:? :

    >I tried installing thunderbird and it seemed to go fine. I then set up a
    >mail client, and told thunderbird to store the mail in a different
    >directory.
    >
    >Thunderbird got the mail. I could see the headers. But I could not read any
    >of the mail. So I closed down thunderbird.
    >
    >I went hunting on my PC and eventually found the file where the e-mail was
    >located. Using notepad (!) I was able to work my way through the file,
    >figure out what was in it, and use Outlook to compose replys / responses to
    >the e-mail contained in the thunderbird inbox.
    >
    >I have re-installed thunderbird because it really IS a better newsreader /
    >rss reader. I have saved the old thunderbird inbox as SavedInBox without an
    >extension as the file did not have an extension when I found it.
    >
    >How can I get thunderbird to read this old inbox so that I can get properly
    >formatted e-mail out. I've tried importing it, but thunderbird can't seem to
    >find the file.
    >
    >Thank you.

    Main menuline (top of the window)
    View>>Messages>>All
    and
    View>>Theads>>All

    if that doesn't work, let us know and we'll think of more complicated things

    reg

  3. PS Re: Reading inbox problem

    On 25.09.2006 17:53, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused squaredancer
    to generate the following:? :

    >On 25.09.2006 16:55, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris Smith to
    >generate the following:? :
    >

    >>I tried installing thunderbird and it seemed to go fine. I then set up a
    >>mail client, and told thunderbird to store the mail in a different
    >>directory.
    >>
    >>Thunderbird got the mail. I could see the headers. But I could not read any
    >>of the mail. So I closed down thunderbird.
    >>
    >>I went hunting on my PC and eventually found the file where the e-mail was
    >>located. Using notepad (!) I was able to work my way through the file,
    >>figure out what was in it, and use Outlook to compose replys / responses to
    >>the e-mail contained in the thunderbird inbox.
    >>
    >>I have re-installed thunderbird because it really IS a better newsreader /
    >>rss reader. I have saved the old thunderbird inbox as SavedInBox without an
    >>extension as the file did not have an extension when I found it.
    >>
    >>How can I get thunderbird to read this old inbox so that I can get properly
    >>formatted e-mail out. I've tried importing it, but thunderbird can't seem to
    >>find the file.
    >>
    >>Thank you.
    >>

    >Main menuline (top of the window)
    >View>>Messages>>All
    >and
    >View>>Theads>>All
    >
    >if that doesn't work, let us know and we'll think of more complicated things
    >
    >reg

    oh, and by the way....
    did you "click" on the header that you want to read ?
    have you got the message-body-pane opened (usually below the header pane) ?

    reg

  4. Re: Reading inbox problem

    "squaredancer" wrote in message
    news:LtqdnSsJybQVZorYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > On 25.09.2006 16:55, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris Smith to
    > generate the following:? :
    >
    >>I tried installing thunderbird and it seemed to go fine. I then set up a
    >>mail client, and told thunderbird to store the mail in a different
    >>directory.
    >>
    >>Thunderbird got the mail. I could see the headers. But I could not read
    >>any of the mail. So I closed down thunderbird.
    >>
    >>I went hunting on my PC and eventually found the file where the e-mail was
    >>located. Using notepad (!) I was able to work my way through the file,
    >>figure out what was in it, and use Outlook to compose replys / responses
    >>to the e-mail contained in the thunderbird inbox.
    >>
    >>I have re-installed thunderbird because it really IS a better newsreader /
    >>rss reader. I have saved the old thunderbird inbox as SavedInBox without
    >>an extension as the file did not have an extension when I found it.
    >>
    >>How can I get thunderbird to read this old inbox so that I can get
    >>properly formatted e-mail out. I've tried importing it, but thunderbird
    >>can't seem to find the file.
    >>
    >>Thank you.
    >>

    > Main menuline (top of the window)
    > View>>Messages>>All
    > and
    > View>>Theads>>All
    >
    > if that doesn't work, let us know and we'll think of more complicated
    > things
    >
    > reg

    After I removed and then re-installed Thunderbird, the messages no longer
    show up in the inbox. The only copy of them that I have is in the SavedInBox
    file (w/o extension) that I created.

  5. Re: Reading inbox problem

    On 25.09.2006 20:42, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris Smith to
    generate the following:? :

    >"squaredancer" wrote in message
    >news:LtqdnSsJybQVZorYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >

    >>On 25.09.2006 16:55, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris Smith to
    >>generate the following:? :
    >>

    >>>I tried installing thunderbird and it seemed to go fine. I then set up a
    >>>mail client, and told thunderbird to store the mail in a different
    >>>directory.
    >>>
    >>>Thunderbird got the mail. I could see the headers. But I could not read
    >>>any of the mail. So I closed down thunderbird.
    >>>
    >>>I went hunting on my PC and eventually found the file where the e-mail was
    >>>located. Using notepad (!) I was able to work my way through the file,
    >>>figure out what was in it, and use Outlook to compose replys / responses
    >>>to the e-mail contained in the thunderbird inbox.
    >>>
    >>>I have re-installed thunderbird because it really IS a better newsreader /
    >>>rss reader. I have saved the old thunderbird inbox as SavedInBox without
    >>>an extension as the file did not have an extension when I found it.
    >>>
    >>>How can I get thunderbird to read this old inbox so that I can get
    >>>properly formatted e-mail out. I've tried importing it, but thunderbird
    >>>can't seem to find the file.
    >>>
    >>>Thank you.
    >>>

    >>Main menuline (top of the window)
    >>View>>Messages>>All
    >>and
    >>View>>Theads>>All
    >>
    >>if that doesn't work, let us know and we'll think of more complicated
    >>things
    >>
    >>reg
    >>

    >After I removed and then re-installed Thunderbird, the messages no longer
    >show up in the inbox. The only copy of them that I have is in the SavedInBox
    >file (w/o extension) that I created.

    on re-installing TB you may have created a new profile. To check this,
    *close TB*
    Click the WIN Start button, click RUN
    type into the box Thunderbird.exe -p (there is a SPACE between exe
    and -p)

    This will open your TB Profile Manager. IF (that big word) you have two
    or more profiles listed, try them out to find your previous profile.

    Let us know how you get on!

    reg

  6. Re: Reading inbox problem

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 25.09.2006 20:42, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris Smith to
    > generate the following:? :
    >
    >> "squaredancer" wrote in message
    >> news:LtqdnSsJybQVZorYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>

    >>> On 25.09.2006 16:55, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris Smith
    >>> to generate the following:? :

    >>> Main menuline (top of the window)
    >>> View>>Messages>>All
    >>> and
    >>> View>>Theads>>All
    >>>
    >>> if that doesn't work, let us know and we'll think of more complicated
    >>> things

    >> After I removed and then re-installed Thunderbird, the messages no
    >> longer show up in the inbox. The only copy of them that I have is in
    >> the SavedInBox file (w/o extension) that I created.
    >>

    > on re-installing TB you may have created a new profile. To check this,
    > *close TB*
    > Click the WIN Start button, click RUN
    > type into the box Thunderbird.exe -p (there is a SPACE between exe
    > and -p)
    >
    > This will open your TB Profile Manager. IF (that big word) you have two
    > or more profiles listed, try them out to find your previous profile.
    >
    > Let us know how you get on!

    Another method: Make a copy of the saved inbox, close Thunderbird, and
    drag it into the Mail folder of your new (?) Profile. It'll show up, a
    new .msf file will be created when you open in within T-bird, and you
    should have all your important stuff.

    --
    John McWilliams

  7. Re: Reading inbox problem

    On 09/25/2006 09:55 AM, Chris Smith wrote:
    > I tried installing thunderbird and it seemed to go fine. I then set up a
    > mail client, and told thunderbird to store the mail in a different
    > directory.
    >
    > Thunderbird got the mail. I could see the headers. But I could not read any
    > of the mail. So I closed down thunderbird.
    >
    > I went hunting on my PC and eventually found the file where the e-mail was
    > located. Using notepad (!) I was able to work my way through the file,
    > figure out what was in it, and use Outlook to compose replys / responses to
    > the e-mail contained in the thunderbird inbox.
    >
    > I have re-installed thunderbird because it really IS a better newsreader /
    > rss reader. I have saved the old thunderbird inbox as SavedInBox without an
    > extension as the file did not have an extension when I found it.
    >
    > How can I get thunderbird to read this old inbox so that I can get properly
    > formatted e-mail out. I've tried importing it, but thunderbird can't seem to
    > find the file.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Copy SavedInbox into the same directory (folder) as the Inbox file that
    TB is currently using. Do this while TB is closed (not running).

    --
    paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net

  8. Re: Reading inbox problem

    "Mumia W. (using mozilla)" wrote in
    message news:EMidnbHqk9Cl24XYnZ2dnUVZ_sednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > On 09/25/2006 09:55 AM, Chris Smith wrote:
    >> I tried installing thunderbird and it seemed to go fine. I then set up a
    >> mail client, and told thunderbird to store the mail in a different
    >> directory.
    >>
    >> Thunderbird got the mail. I could see the headers. But I could not read
    >> any of the mail. So I closed down thunderbird.
    >>
    >> I went hunting on my PC and eventually found the file where the e-mail
    >> was located. Using notepad (!) I was able to work my way through the
    >> file, figure out what was in it, and use Outlook to compose replys /
    >>
    >> I have re-installed thunderbird because it really IS a better newsreader
    >> / rss reader. I have saved the old thunderbird inbox as SavedInBox
    >> without an extension as the file did not have an extension when I found
    >> it.
    >>
    >> How can I get thunderbird to read this old inbox so that I can get
    >> properly formatted e-mail out. I've tried importing it, but thunderbird
    >> can't seem to find the file.
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > Copy SavedInbox into the same directory (folder) as the Inbox file that TB
    > is currently using. Do this while TB is closed (not running).
    >
    > --
    > paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net

    This worked perfectly. Thank you!

+ Reply to Thread