ready to switch to outlook - please help!!! - Mozilla

This is a discussion on ready to switch to outlook - please help!!! - Mozilla ; I have been using Tb for more than a year now and the junk mail filter has never worked great but I now am finding it extrodinarily irritating to have to manually sort at least 50 junk emails per day. ...

  1. ready to switch to outlook - please help!!!

    I have been using Tb for more than a year now and the junk mail filter
    has never worked great but I now am finding it extrodinarily irritating
    to have to manually sort at least 50 junk emails per day. A good 100
    or so do get filtered out into junk but i cannot reachg this elusive
    almost %100 efficiency. I am doing it right, i've read the faq and
    support forums but it just isn't working and i'm ready to switch back
    to outlook if I can't figure out how to make this work.

    Please help me!

  2. Re: ready to switch to outlook - please help!!!

    _Bellychaser@gmail.com_ spoke thusly on 24/09/2006 11:59 AM:
    > I have been using Tb for more than a year now and the junk mail filter
    > has never worked great but I now am finding it extrodinarily irritating
    > to have to manually sort at least 50 junk emails per day. A good 100
    > or so do get filtered out into junk but i cannot reachg this elusive
    > almost %100 efficiency. I am doing it right, i've read the faq and
    > support forums but it just isn't working and i'm ready to switch back
    > to outlook if I can't figure out how to make this work.

    Be sure to take the time to mark good messages as "Not Junk". This is
    because Junk Mail Controls actually have 3 status', not 2. The first two
    are obviously "Junk" and "Not Junk", but the third is "Unknown".
    Thunderbird will indicate if a message has been marked as "Junk", but
    will not automatically mark anything as "Not Junk".
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  3. Re: ready to switch to outlook - please help!!!

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Bellychaser@gmail.com_ spoke thusly on 24/09/2006 11:59 AM:

    > .... Junk Mail Controls actually have 3 status', not 2. The first two
    > are obviously "Junk" and "Not Junk", but the third is "Unknown".
    > Thunderbird will indicate if a message has been marked as "Junk", but
    > will not automatically mark anything as "Not Junk".

    One of the nice things about the Mnenhy extension is that, in the
    Junk Status column, it actually uses a red question mark to mark
    the messages that have an 'Unknown' status.

  4. Re: ready to switch to outlook - please help!!!

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Bellychaser@gmail.com_ spoke thusly on 24/09/2006 11:59 AM:
    >> I have been using Tb for more than a year now and the junk mail filter
    >> has never worked great but I now am finding it extrodinarily irritating
    >> to have to manually sort at least 50 junk emails per day. A good 100
    >> or so do get filtered out into junk but i cannot reachg this elusive
    >> almost %100 efficiency. I am doing it right, i've read the faq and
    >> support forums but it just isn't working and i'm ready to switch back
    >> to outlook if I can't figure out how to make this work.

    > Be sure to take the time to mark good messages as "Not Junk". This is
    > because Junk Mail Controls actually have 3 status', not 2. The first two
    > are obviously "Junk" and "Not Junk", but the third is "Unknown".
    > Thunderbird will indicate if a message has been marked as "Junk", but
    > will not automatically mark anything as "Not Junk".

    I disagree with this.

    Marking good messages as not junk will NOT increase your catch ratio
    (number of spam caught compared to total spam received)

    Marking good messagse as not junk will decrease your false positive ratio
    (number of spam caught that are NOT spam compared to total messages
    received)

    My ratio of 99.2% catch ration (i.e. for every 300 spam sent, 297 are
    caught by JMC) was acheived solely by

    if message is spam, and was not caught by JMC, click on the JUNK button
    if message is not spam and was caught by JMC, click on the NOT JUNK button.

    My false positive rate is 0 - no false positives in plus four months.

    This keeps the training.dat file to a minimum as well. Mozilla.org is
    thinking of creating a feature to cut down on training.dat size btw.

    Use of ANY other filtering method will actually LOWER JMC's catch ratio.
    If you have a filter say that automatcally deletes or junks messages
    with specific words, then that will actually LOWER JMC's apparent catch,
    and lead to less effective filtering in the future.

+ Reply to Thread