smtp authentication - Mozilla

This is a discussion on smtp authentication - Mozilla ; all of my smtp's require authentication (password) before sending mail. Haven't figured out how to turn this requirement on in TB. In OE there's a box to be checked under smtp address....

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: smtp authentication

  1. smtp authentication

    all of my smtp's require authentication (password) before sending mail.
    Haven't figured out how to turn this requirement on in TB. In OE
    there's a box to be checked under smtp address.

  2. Re: smtp authentication

    Edit, Account Settings (or Tools, Account settings in Windows version as
    I remember).
    At the end of the list you will find a row, named Outgoing servers
    (SMTP). When you edit one of them, you will find the Use name and
    password checkbox. Enter your username, and TB will ask for the password
    at the first connection.

    Igor wrote:
    > all of my smtp's require authentication (password) before sending mail.
    > Haven't figured out how to turn this requirement on in TB. In OE
    > there's a box to be checked under smtp address.
    > _______________________________________________
    > support-thunderbird mailing list
    > support-thunderbird@lists.mozilla.org
    > https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/support-thunderbird
    >


  3. Re: smtp authentication

    Igor wrote:
    > all of my smtp's require authentication (password) before sending mail.
    > Haven't figured out how to turn this requirement on in TB. In OE
    > there's a box to be checked under smtp address.


    goto Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing server.
    click on 'Add' button. (if you haven't created any SMTP address
    for that account )

    In 'SMTP Server' window, check 'use name and password'
    put your username. set up other settings also.
    next time when you will send a mail using that account Thunderbird
    will automatically ask for password.

  4. Re: smtp authentication

    There isn't a 'use name and password' area to check in TB portable.
    (which is what I'm using)

    Nir wrote:
    > Igor wrote:
    >> all of my smtp's require authentication (password) before sending mail.
    >> Haven't figured out how to turn this requirement on in TB. In OE
    >> there's a box to be checked under smtp address.

    >
    > goto Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing server.
    > click on 'Add' button. (if you haven't created any SMTP address for that
    > account )
    >
    > In 'SMTP Server' window, check 'use name and password'
    > put your username. set up other settings also.
    > next time when you will send a mail using that account Thunderbird will
    > automatically ask for password.


  5. Re: smtp authentication

    Igor wrote:
    > There isn't a 'use name and password' area to check in TB portable.
    > (which is what I'm using)
    >
    > Nir wrote:
    >> Igor wrote:

    /snip/

    Please be so kind as to bottom post in these groups, that is, post your
    reply below the quoted material, as I am doing here. This is the group
    preference. See the posting Etiquette, as linked in my sig, for more
    information. Thank you for your consideration.

    Thunderbird Portable is simply Thunderbird, configured to use settings
    that minimize disk writes. It is no different then a local TB.

    Nir's directions were for setting up an smtp server. If you want to
    reconfigure an existing server:

    Tools>>Account Settings>>Outgoing server

    You will see a list of outgoing servers that are set up. Highlight the
    one to be changed, and click the Edit button. You will see the checkbox
    that Nir described.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla/Netscape Champion
    Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  6. Re: smtp authentication

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Igor wrote:
    >> There isn't a 'use name and password' area to check in TB portable.
    >> (which is what I'm using)
    >>
    >> Nir wrote:
    >>> Igor wrote:

    > /snip/
    >
    > Please be so kind as to bottom post in these groups, that is, post your
    > reply below the quoted material, as I am doing here. This is the group
    > preference. See the posting Etiquette, as linked in my sig, for more
    > information. Thank you for your consideration.
    >
    > Thunderbird Portable is simply Thunderbird, configured to use settings
    > that minimize disk writes. It is no different then a local TB.
    >
    > Nir's directions were for setting up an smtp server. If you want to
    > reconfigure an existing server:
    >
    > Tools>>Account Settings>>Outgoing server
    >
    > You will see a list of outgoing servers that are set up. Highlight the
    > one to be changed, and click the Edit button. You will see the checkbox
    > that Nir described.
    >
    > Lee
    >

    My window under "Tools>>Account Settings>>Outgoing Server" does not have
    an edit button. There is an "Edit Card" above and a "Manage Identities"
    below. It does seem to matter which identity is chosen.

    When the smtp servers were created, I looked for an opportunity to
    indicate requirement. Didn't see anything.

    Thanks

  7. Re: smtp authentication

    Igor wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Igor wrote:
    >>> There isn't a 'use name and password' area to check in TB portable.
    >>> (which is what I'm using)
    >>>
    >>> Nir wrote:
    >>>> Igor wrote:

    >> /snip/
    >>
    >> Please be so kind as to bottom post in these groups, that is, post your
    >> reply below the quoted material, as I am doing here. This is the group
    >> preference. See the posting Etiquette, as linked in my sig, for more
    >> information. Thank you for your consideration.
    >>
    >> Thunderbird Portable is simply Thunderbird, configured to use settings
    >> that minimize disk writes. It is no different then a local TB.
    >>
    >> Nir's directions were for setting up an smtp server. If you want to
    >> reconfigure an existing server:
    >>
    >> Tools>>Account Settings>>Outgoing server
    >>
    >> You will see a list of outgoing servers that are set up. Highlight the
    >> one to be changed, and click the Edit button. You will see the checkbox
    >> that Nir described.
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>

    > My window under "Tools>>Account Settings>>Outgoing Server" does not have
    > an edit button. There is an "Edit Card" above and a "Manage Identities"
    > below. It does seem to matter which identity is chosen.
    >
    > When the smtp servers were created, I looked for an opportunity to
    > indicate requirement. Didn't see anything.
    >
    > Thanks



    You're looking in the wrong place.

    Tools>>Account Settings

    In the left pane of the account settings windows is the list of your
    accounts. Look at the bottom of that list. If you have many accounts
    set up, you may need to scroll down.

    The very last entry in that list of accounts is Outgoing Server. Click
    on it. Now in the right pane, you should see the list of smtp servers
    that are set up/ Click on the one you wish to configure, to highlight
    it, then click the edit button.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla/Netscape Champion
    Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  8. Re: smtp authentication

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Igor wrote:
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>> Igor wrote:
    >>>> There isn't a 'use name and password' area to check in TB portable.
    >>>> (which is what I'm using)
    >>>>
    >>>> Nir wrote:
    >>>>> Igor wrote:
    >>> /snip/
    >>>
    >>> Please be so kind as to bottom post in these groups, that is, post your
    >>> reply below the quoted material, as I am doing here. This is the group
    >>> preference. See the posting Etiquette, as linked in my sig, for more
    >>> information. Thank you for your consideration.
    >>>
    >>> Thunderbird Portable is simply Thunderbird, configured to use settings
    >>> that minimize disk writes. It is no different then a local TB.
    >>>
    >>> Nir's directions were for setting up an smtp server. If you want to
    >>> reconfigure an existing server:
    >>>
    >>> Tools>>Account Settings>>Outgoing server
    >>>
    >>> You will see a list of outgoing servers that are set up. Highlight the
    >>> one to be changed, and click the Edit button. You will see the checkbox
    >>> that Nir described.
    >>>
    >>> Lee
    >>>

    >> My window under "Tools>>Account Settings>>Outgoing Server" does not have
    >> an edit button. There is an "Edit Card" above and a "Manage Identities"
    >> below. It does seem to matter which identity is chosen.
    >>
    >> When the smtp servers were created, I looked for an opportunity to
    >> indicate requirement. Didn't see anything.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >
    >
    > You're looking in the wrong place.
    >
    > Tools>>Account Settings
    >
    > In the left pane of the account settings windows is the list of your
    > accounts. Look at the bottom of that list. If you have many accounts
    > set up, you may need to scroll down.
    >
    > The very last entry in that list of accounts is Outgoing Server. Click
    > on it. Now in the right pane, you should see the list of smtp servers
    > that are set up/ Click on the one you wish to configure, to highlight
    > it, then click the edit button.
    >
    > Lee
    >



    it should be looked like this :
    ( Tools>Account Settings
    )http://itusupport.gmu.edu/ssl_files/...t_settings.JPG

    (Outgoing Server )
    http://www.sonic.net/support/ss/wind...s_outgoing.png

+ Reply to Thread