Why duplicate newsgroups? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Why duplicate newsgroups? - Mozilla ; Just realized that in my very old NG profile which has been going since Netscape days in the '90's some of the newsgroups are duplicates, but with a different heading: Host.News.etc and News.etc. Currently am using some of the News.etc ...

  1. Why duplicate newsgroups?

    Just realized that in my very old NG profile which has been going since
    Netscape days in the '90's some of the newsgroups are duplicates, but
    with a different heading:

    Host.News.etc
    and
    News.etc.

    Currently am using some of the News.etc and some of the Host.news.etc
    that don't have a dupe news.etc. Of course, which is being used may
    have no significance since I may have simply started using one or the
    other and reset it to be descending, etc.

    Miles

  2. Re: Why duplicate newsgroups?

    Miles wrote:
    > Just realized that in my very old NG profile which has been going since
    > Netscape days in the '90's some of the newsgroups are duplicates, but
    > with a different heading:
    >
    > Host.News.etc
    > and
    > News.etc.
    >
    > Currently am using some of the News.etc and some of the Host.news.etc
    > that don't have a dupe news.etc. Of course, which is being used may
    > have no significance since I may have simply started using one or the
    > other and reset it to be descending, etc.
    >
    > Miles

    As long as the program know which one to use, what does it matter?

    If it bothers you aesthitically, then heres how to fix it.

    Unsubcribe to he news account, wipe out reference to the group/server,
    then resubscribe.

  3. Re: Why duplicate newsgroups?

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Miles wrote:
    >> Just realized that in my very old NG profile which has been going
    >> since Netscape days in the '90's some of the newsgroups are
    >> duplicates, but with a different heading:
    >>
    >> Host.News.etc
    >> and
    >> News.etc.
    >>
    >> Currently am using some of the News.etc and some of the Host.news.etc
    >> that don't have a dupe news.etc. Of course, which is being used may
    >> have no significance since I may have simply started using one or the
    >> other and reset it to be descending, etc.
    >>
    >> Miles

    > As long as the program know which one to use, what does it matter?
    >
    > If it bothers you aesthitically, then heres how to fix it.
    >
    > Unsubcribe to he news account, wipe out reference to the group/server,
    > then resubscribe.

    Dan, guess my question should also be what is the significance of
    host-news.etc as opposed to news.etc. (without the host-) -- which
    should assist me in making the decision as to which ones to eliminate.

  4. Re: Why duplicate newsgroups?

    Miles wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Miles wrote:
    >>> Just realized that in my very old NG profile which has been going
    >>> since Netscape days in the '90's some of the newsgroups are
    >>> duplicates, but with a different heading:
    >>>
    >>> Host.News.etc
    >>> and
    >>> News.etc.
    >>>
    >>> Currently am using some of the News.etc and some of the Host.news.etc
    >>> that don't have a dupe news.etc. Of course, which is being used may
    >>> have no significance since I may have simply started using one or the
    >>> other and reset it to be descending, etc.
    >>>
    >>> Miles

    >> As long as the program know which one to use, what does it matter?
    >>
    >> If it bothers you aesthitically, then heres how to fix it.
    >>
    >> Unsubcribe to he news account, wipe out reference to the group/server,
    >> then resubscribe.

    > Dan, guess my question should also be what is the significance of
    > host-news.etc as opposed to news.etc. (without the host-) -- which
    > should assist me in making the decision as to which ones to eliminate.

    Let me guess, you upgraded from Netscape Communicator? It use the host
    naming routine much more than Thunderbird does.

    The only place Thunderbird uses 'host...' is in the info.dat files, you
    should have one of those for each server.

    As I recall, Communicator used the 'host' prefix to denote a news server
    listing, whilst TB simply uses the name. But TB could still use the
    Communicator listings. So which one is in use?

    Which ones to eliminate? Like I said, if you really want to clean it up,
    unsubscribe from the server, and trash all the files, then resubuscribe.
    TB doesnt do a good job at cleanup when you unsubscribe.

  5. Re: Why duplicate newsgroups?

    _Miles_ spoke thusly on 21/09/2006 12:04 AM:
    > Just realized that in my very old NG profile which has been going since
    > Netscape days in the '90's some of the newsgroups are duplicates, but
    > with a different heading:
    >
    > Host.News.etc
    > and
    > News.etc.
    >
    > Currently am using some of the News.etc and some of the Host.news.etc
    > that don't have a dupe news.etc. Of course, which is being used may
    > have no significance since I may have simply started using one or the
    > other and reset it to be descending, etc.

    host-news.etc, is not part of Thunderbird. How old is your profile? Was
    it transfered from Netscape Communicator? I (very vaguely) recall
    host-news.etc being used by Communicator. I could be wrong. Do you also
    have smn files?
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  6. Re: Why duplicate newsgroups?

    Miles wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Miles wrote:
    >>> Just realized that in my very old NG profile which has been going
    >>> since Netscape days in the '90's some of the newsgroups are
    >>> duplicates, but with a different heading:
    >>>
    >>> Host.News.etc
    >>> and
    >>> News.etc.
    >>>
    >>> Currently am using some of the News.etc and some of the Host.news.etc
    >>> that don't have a dupe news.etc. Of course, which is being used may
    >>> have no significance since I may have simply started using one or the
    >>> other and reset it to be descending, etc.
    >>>
    >>> Miles

    >> As long as the program know which one to use, what does it matter?
    >>
    >> If it bothers you aesthitically, then heres how to fix it.
    >>
    >> Unsubcribe to he news account, wipe out reference to the group/server,
    >> then resubscribe.

    > Dan, guess my question should also be what is the significance of
    > host-news.etc as opposed to news.etc. (without the host-) -- which
    > should assist me in making the decision as to which ones to eliminate.

    See which one has files that are current. Delete the other one.

  7. Re: Why duplicate newsgroups?

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Miles wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >>> As long as the program know which one to use, what does it matter?
    >>>
    >>> If it bothers you aesthitically, then heres how to fix it.
    >>>
    >>> Unsubcribe to he news account, wipe out reference to the
    >>> group/server, then resubscribe.

    >> Dan, guess my question should also be what is the significance of
    >> host-news.etc as opposed to news.etc. (without the host-) -- which
    >> should assist me in making the decision as to which ones to eliminate.

    > Let me guess, you upgraded from Netscape Communicator? It use the host
    > naming routine much more than Thunderbird does.
    >
    > The only place Thunderbird uses 'host...' is in the info.dat files, you
    > should have one of those for each server.
    >
    > As I recall, Communicator used the 'host' prefix to denote a news server
    > listing, whilst TB simply uses the name. But TB could still use the
    > Communicator listings. So which one is in use?
    >
    > Which ones to eliminate? Like I said, if you really want to clean it up,
    > unsubscribe from the server, and trash all the files, then resubuscribe.
    > TB doesnt do a good job at cleanup when you unsubscribe.

    I believe that is intentional, so that users don't lose their message
    numbers, etc. should they accidentally unsubscribe, or change their
    minds after unsubscribing.

  8. Re: Why duplicate newsgroups?

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >> Which ones to eliminate? Like I said, if you really want to clean it
    >> up, unsubscribe from the server, and trash all the files, then
    >> resubuscribe.
    >> TB doesnt do a good job at cleanup when you unsubscribe.

    > I believe that is intentional, so that users don't lose their message
    > numbers, etc. should they accidentally unsubscribe, or change their
    > minds after unsubscribing.

    It could be, sounds as reasonalble explanation as others I have heard

  9. Re: Why duplicate newsgroups?

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Miles_ spoke thusly on 21/09/2006 12:04 AM:
    >> Just realized that in my very old NG profile which has been going
    >> since Netscape days in the '90's some of the newsgroups are
    >> duplicates, but with a different heading:
    >>
    >> Host.News.etc
    >> and
    >> News.etc.
    >>
    >> Currently am using some of the News.etc and some of the Host.news.etc
    >> that don't have a dupe news.etc. Of course, which is being used may
    >> have no significance since I may have simply started using one or the
    >> other and reset it to be descending, etc.

    > host-news.etc, is not part of Thunderbird. How old is your profile? Was
    > it transfered from Netscape Communicator? I (very vaguely) recall
    > host-news.etc being used by Communicator. I could be wrong. Do you also
    > have smn files?

    All of you hit the nail on the head. Yes, this profile has been in use
    since the mid '90's with NS, then Moz, then SM, and now TB. And the
    ones not in use are those that commence with "host," so I'll simply
    delete those which amount to about 75MB!
    Miles

  10. Re: Why duplicate newsgroups?

    Miles wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Miles_ spoke thusly on 21/09/2006 12:04 AM:
    >>> Just realized that in my very old NG profile which has been going
    >>> since Netscape days in the '90's some of the newsgroups are
    >>> duplicates, but with a different heading:
    >>>
    >>> Host.News.etc
    >>> and
    >>> News.etc.
    >>>
    >>> Currently am using some of the News.etc and some of the Host.news.etc
    >>> that don't have a dupe news.etc. Of course, which is being used may
    >>> have no significance since I may have simply started using one or the
    >>> other and reset it to be descending, etc.

    >> host-news.etc, is not part of Thunderbird. How old is your profile?
    >> Was it transfered from Netscape Communicator? I (very vaguely) recall
    >> host-news.etc being used by Communicator. I could be wrong. Do you
    >> also have smn files?

    > All of you hit the nail on the head. Yes, this profile has been in use
    > since the mid '90's with NS, then Moz, then SM, and now TB. And the
    > ones not in use are those that commence with "host," so I'll simply
    > delete those which amount to about 75MB!
    > Miles

    Isnt that what I said?

+ Reply to Thread