Multiple Filters - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Multiple Filters - Mozilla ; I'm wondering if there is limit to the number of filters that can be enabled in mozilla. I would like to enable between one and two hundred, but don't want to start if I'm going to run into problems....

  1. Multiple Filters

    I'm wondering if there is limit to the number of filters that can be enabled
    in mozilla. I would like to enable between one and two hundred, but don't
    want to start if I'm going to run into problems.

  2. Re: Multiple Filters

    Anthony Vriends wrote:
    > I'm wondering if there is limit to the number of filters that can be enabled
    > in mozilla. I would like to enable between one and two hundred, but don't
    > want to start if I'm going to run into problems.

    I don't know if there's a limit, but suspect that, if there's one,
    it's not imposed by design but by the programming language, that
    is, a huge limit that users cannot possibly reach. For what it's
    worth, I have over 140 filters and they work fine. To create that
    many filters at once, and especially if they're all similar, it
    might be easier for you to set up only a few via the user
    interface and then open the msgFilterRules.dat file in a text
    editor, learn how filters are stored, and create the remaining
    ones directly in the file. That file is in your account's
    directory. To locate that directory, right-click the account,
    select Properties and then Server Settings, and see 'Local
    directory'. Edit the file with Thunderbird closed.

  3. Re: Multiple Filters

    Telmo Amaral wrote:
    > Anthony Vriends wrote:
    >> I'm wondering if there is limit to the number of filters that can be
    >> enabled in mozilla. I would like to enable between one and two
    >> hundred, but don't want to start if I'm going to run into problems.

    > I don't know if there's a limit, but suspect that,

    According to this page :
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_-_Thunderbird , there is no such
    limitation.
    > if there's one, it's
    > not imposed by design but by the programming language, that is, a huge
    > limit that users cannot possibly reach. For what it's worth, I have over
    > 140 filters and they work fine. To create that many filters at once, and
    > especially if they're all similar, it might be easier for you to set up
    > only a few via the user interface and then open the msgFilterRules.dat
    > file in a text editor,

    ah! I think it is the best way , at least in some cases
    >learn how filters are stored, and create the
    > remaining ones directly in the file. That file is in your account's
    > directory. To locate that directory, right-click the account, select
    > Properties and then Server Settings, and see 'Local directory'. Edit the
    > file with Thunderbird closed.

  4. Re: Multiple Filters

    On 2006-09-21 13:22, Nir wrote:
    > Telmo Amaral wrote:
    >> Anthony Vriends wrote:

    >> I don't know if there's a limit, but suspect that,

    > According to this page : http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_-_Thunderbird
    > , there is no such limitation.
    >>
    >> if there's one, it's not imposed by design but by the programming
    >> language, ....

    My sentence was unclear. I meant, "I don't know if there's a
    limit. But, if there's one, I suspect that it's not imposed by
    design but by the programming language, ....".

  5. Re: Multiple Filters

    Telmo Amaral wrote:
    > On 2006-09-21 13:22, Nir wrote:
    >> Telmo Amaral wrote:
    >>> Anthony Vriends wrote:

    >>> I don't know if there's a limit, but suspect that,

    >> According to this page :
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_-_Thunderbird , there is no such
    >> limitation.
    >>>
    >>> if there's one, it's not imposed by design but by the programming
    >>> language, ....

    > My sentence was unclear. I meant, "I don't know if there's a limit. But,
    > if there's one, I suspect that it's not imposed by design but by the
    > programming language, ....".

    Thanks.

  6. Re: Multiple Filters

    Telmo Amaral wrote:
    > Anthony Vriends wrote:
    >> I'm wondering if there is limit to the number of filters that can be enabled
    >> in mozilla. I would like to enable between one and two hundred, but don't
    >> want to start if I'm going to run into problems.

    > I don't know if there's a limit, but suspect that, if there's one,
    > it's not imposed by design but by the programming language, that
    > is, a huge limit that users cannot possibly reach. For what it's
    > worth, I have over 140 filters and they work fine. To create that
    > many filters at once, and especially if they're all similar, it
    > might be easier for you to set up only a few via the user
    > interface and then open the msgFilterRules.dat file in a text
    > editor, learn how filters are stored, and create the remaining
    > ones directly in the file. That file is in your account's
    > directory. To locate that directory, right-click the account,
    > select Properties and then Server Settings, and see 'Local
    > directory'. Edit the file with Thunderbird closed.

    five hundred and ten in one of mine, and they all work

    --
    Linguistic Evolution continued . . . In the third year, publik
    akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage

  7. FIlters are not working and crack

    First I received many mails with gif atachment.
    Then during opening Thunderbird crashed many times.
    Then existing filter rules are not working nor msgFilterrules.dat is not
    updated with new/changed rules.
    And a user which is using Thunderbird cannot neither modify nor change
    installation files, but can only modify it's profile
    Where should I go now?????
    Is there any IRC group where I can ask hackers what has happened

    robert

  8. Re: FIlters are not working and crack

    T-bird Leader Robert > radioed the tower On 9/22/2006 2:55 AM:

    > First I received many mails with gif atachment.
    > Then during opening Thunderbird crashed many times.
    > Then existing filter rules are not working nor msgFilterrules.dat is not
    > updated with new/changed rules.
    > And a user which is using Thunderbird cannot neither modify nor change
    > installation files, but can only modify it's profile
    > Where should I go now?????
    > Is there any IRC group where I can ask hackers what has happened
    >
    > robert

    irc.mozilla.com #thunderbird

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting.

  9. Re: FIlters are not working and crack

    Robert > wrote:
    > First I received many mails with gif atachment.
    > Then during opening Thunderbird crashed many times.
    > Then existing filter rules are not working nor msgFilterrules.dat is not
    > updated with new/changed rules.
    > And a user which is using Thunderbird cannot neither modify nor change
    > installation files, but can only modify it's profile
    > Where should I go now?????
    > Is there any IRC group where I can ask hackers what has happened
    >
    > robert

    list some of the filter rules that aren't working. Maybe someone can
    help you to improve them. If you're trying to filter based on
    attachment, then you can't.

    --
    Bill Gates -- Heaven or Hell continued . . . "This is great!" he tells
    God, "If this is Hell, I REALLY want to see Heaven!" "Fine," says
    God, and off they go. Heaven is a high place in the clouds, with
    angels drifting about playing harps and singing. It's very nice but
    not as enticing as Hell. Bill thinks for a moment and announces his
    decision. "Hmm, I think I prefer Hell." he tells God. "Fine," says
    God, "As you desire." So Bill Gates is taken to Hell. Two weeks
    later, God decides to check up on Bill to see how he's doing in Hell.
    When God arrives in Hell, he finds Bill shackled to a wall, screaming
    amongst the hot flames in a dark cave. He's being burned and tortured
    by demons. "How's everything going, Bill?" God asks. Bill replies,
    his voice full of anguish and disappointment, "This is awful, it's not
    what I expected at all, I can't believe it. What happened to that
    other place with the beaches and the beautiful women playing in the
    water?" God smiles and says, "That was the screen saver."

+ Reply to Thread