killing crossposted articles - Mozilla

This is a discussion on killing crossposted articles - Mozilla ; Hello, I would like to automatically kill/delete crossposted messages when using Thunderbird as a newsreader; is this possible? The limited functionality of the Message Filter tool will not do this. Thanks. greg g....

  1. killing crossposted articles

    Hello,

    I would like to automatically kill/delete crossposted messages when
    using Thunderbird as a newsreader; is this possible? The limited
    functionality of the Message Filter tool will not do this.

    Thanks.

    greg g.

  2. Re: killing crossposted articles

    "Gregory E. Garland" wrote in message
    news:0bGdndCicudN4IzYnZ2dnUVZ_sednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like to automatically kill/delete crossposted messages when
    > using Thunderbird as a newsreader; is this possible? The limited
    > functionality of the Message Filter tool will not do this.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > greg g.

    Xnews does this if you can't find away to do it with TB.

    Rich

  3. Re: killing crossposted articles

    "Rich" wrote in message

    > "Gregory E. Garland" wrote in message
    > news:0bGdndCicudN4IzYnZ2dnUVZ_sednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I would like to automatically kill/delete crossposted messages when
    >> using Thunderbird as a newsreader; is this possible? The limited
    >> functionality of the Message Filter tool will not do this.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> greg g.
    >>

    > Xnews does this if you can't find away to do it with TB.

    I tried Xnews recently, and that feature didn't seem to work.

  4. Re: killing crossposted articles

    "Gregory E. Garland" wrote in message
    news:NdWdnTbLlo4MHozYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    > "Rich" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Gregory E. Garland" wrote in message
    >> news:0bGdndCicudN4IzYnZ2dnUVZ_sednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I would like to automatically kill/delete crossposted messages when
    >>> using Thunderbird as a newsreader; is this possible? The limited
    >>> functionality of the Message Filter tool will not do this.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> greg g.
    >>>

    >> Xnews does this if you can't find away to do it with TB.
    >>

    > I tried Xnews recently, and that feature didn't seem to work.

    Special >make sure Hard Kill is checked

    Special>setup xnews>misc tab Kill articles crossposted to more than X.
    X=what ever your tolerence is.

    Rich

  5. Re: killing crossposted articles

    Gregory E. Garland wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like to automatically kill/delete crossposted messages when
    > using Thunderbird as a newsreader; is this possible? The limited
    > functionality of the Message Filter tool will not do this.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > greg g.

    Many people have asked for it, but I'm afraid TB can't do that.

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  6. Re: killing crossposted articles

    Gregory E. Garland wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like to automatically kill/delete crossposted messages when
    > using Thunderbird as a newsreader; is this possible? The limited
    > functionality of the Message Filter tool will not do this.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > greg g.

    Why did you post your message 7 times?

    Steve H

  7. Re: killing crossposted articles

    "Steve H" wrote in message
    news:ndmdnZieGsMxAYzYnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Gregory E. Garland wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I would like to automatically kill/delete crossposted messages when
    >> using Thunderbird as a newsreader; is this possible? The limited
    >> functionality of the Message Filter tool will not do this.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> greg g.
    >>

    > Why did you post your message 7 times?

    I didn't; sounds like you need a better newsreader and/or server as well.

  8. Re: killing crossposted articles

    Gregory E. Garland wrote:
    > "Steve H" wrote in message
    > news:ndmdnZieGsMxAYzYnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >
    >>Gregory E. Garland wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>I would like to automatically kill/delete crossposted messages when
    >>>using Thunderbird as a newsreader; is this possible? The limited
    >>>functionality of the Message Filter tool will not do this.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.
    >>>
    >>>greg g.
    >>>

    >>Why did you post your message 7 times?
    >>

    > I didn't; sounds like you need a better newsreader and/or server as well.

    Oh, I thought you were referring to the practice of asking the same
    question across several folders or threads. Your posts came one below
    the other.

    Thanks!

  9. Re: killing crossposted articles

    Steve H wrote:
    > Gregory E. Garland wrote:
    >> "Steve H" wrote in message
    >> news:ndmdnZieGsMxAYzYnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> Why did you post your message 7 times?
    >>>

    >> I didn't; sounds like you need a better newsreader and/or server as well.
    >>

    > Oh, I thought you were referring to the practice of asking the same
    > question across several folders or threads. Your posts came one below
    > the other.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I only see one of Greg's msgs, not seven. He is talking about
    cross-posting in several newsgroups as stated in his msg -- how could
    you cross-post in one NG?

  10. Re: killing crossposted articles

    _Gregory E. Garland_ spoke thusly on 20/09/2006 1:43 PM:
    > I would like to automatically kill/delete crossposted messages when
    > using Thunderbird as a newsreader; is this possible? The limited
    > functionality of the Message Filter tool will not do this.

    Thunderbird can't do it natively.
    You can try using nfilter . I haven't tried it,
    so I can't really guarantee it will work.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  11. Re: killing crossposted articles

    _Steve H_ spoke thusly on 20/09/2006 3:58 PM:
    > Why did you post your message 7 times?

    I only see his message posted once.
    Try upgrading Thunderbird.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  12. Re: killing crossposted articles

    "Chris Ilias" wrote in message
    news:iL6dnd7bcLudQIzYnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > _Gregory E. Garland_ spoke thusly on 20/09/2006 1:43 PM:
    >> I would like to automatically kill/delete crossposted messages when
    >> using Thunderbird as a newsreader; is this possible? The limited
    >> functionality of the Message Filter tool will not do this.

    > Thunderbird can't do it natively.
    > You can try using nfilter . I haven't tried it,
    > so I can't really guarantee it will work.

    Bummer; but I would really prefer something that works both on Linux
    and Windows XP (I have dual boot machines, and would like to go
    to the same email/newsreader set on them). After finally scanning through
    the past 9 months messages on this newgroup, it seems strange that a
    request that comes up reasonably often is not considered a higher
    priority. It was this "move to a newer version but go backward in
    capability" mindset that led me to abandon Netscape for IE/Outlook on
    the Windows installations years ago. It does not seem anywhere near
    as complicated a problem as you were discussing recently about
    killing/marking read crossposted articles on every newsgroup once
    you have disposed of them the first time you encountered the article.
    You download the headers, check Newsgroups or Xref, and if it's
    crossposted delete it. Even though I haven't done any serious programming
    in over five years, it's almost tempting enough to download the source
    and try it myself... almost. :-)

    NB: If you are motivated enough to try and find requests for the same
    capability in Outlook, you find the Microsoft people essentially say "eh,
    it's newsgroups; we can't be bothered with that...". It seems strange that
    the developers seem to have the mindset that "Newsgroup readers are a
    small, dying breed; move all newsgroup RFE's to the back burner" when
    its the lack of capability that drives people away from the newsgroups,
    not the medium itself. Crossposting/trolling is almost a non-issue on
    groups mainly read by technically oriented people; elsewhere on
    non-moderated groups it will eventually rear its head. The vast majority
    of internet users who treat their preferred online venues as a social
    activity are
    not interested in "download some other software" as a solution to avoiding
    the trash.

  13. Re: killing crossposted articles

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Steve H_ spoke thusly on 20/09/2006 3:58 PM:
    >> Why did you post your message 7 times?

    > I only see his message posted once.
    > Try upgrading Thunderbird.

    actually, I would try compacting the folders [under File], and if that
    didn't work, then delete the *.msf files.

    --
    Linguistic Evolution continued . . . In the third year, publik
    akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage

  14. Re: killing crossposted articles

    On 21.09.2006 06:28, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Gregory E.
    Garland to generate the following:? :

    >"Chris Ilias" wrote in message
    >news:iL6dnd7bcLudQIzYnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >

    >>_Gregory E. Garland_ spoke thusly on 20/09/2006 1:43 PM:
    >>

    >>>I would like to automatically kill/delete crossposted messages when
    >>>using Thunderbird as a newsreader; is this possible? The limited
    >>>functionality of the Message Filter tool will not do this.
    >>>

    >>Thunderbird can't do it natively.
    >>You can try using nfilter . I haven't tried it,
    >>so I can't really guarantee it will work.
    >>

    >Bummer; but I would really prefer something that works both on Linux
    >and Windows XP (I have dual boot machines, and would like to go
    >to the same email/newsreader set on them). After finally scanning through
    >the past 9 months messages on this newgroup, it seems strange that a
    >request that comes up reasonably often is not considered a higher
    >priority. It was this "move to a newer version but go backward in
    >capability" mindset that led me to abandon Netscape for IE/Outlook on
    >the Windows installations years ago. It does not seem anywhere near
    >as complicated a problem as you were discussing recently about
    >killing/marking read crossposted articles on every newsgroup once
    >you have disposed of them the first time you encountered the article.
    >You download the headers, check Newsgroups or Xref, and if it's
    >crossposted delete it. Even though I haven't done any serious programming
    >in over five years, it's almost tempting enough to download the source
    >and try it myself... almost. :-)
    >
    >NB: If you are motivated enough to try and find requests for the same
    >capability in Outlook, you find the Microsoft people essentially say "eh,
    >it's newsgroups; we can't be bothered with that...". It seems strange that
    >the developers seem to have the mindset that "Newsgroup readers are a
    >small, dying breed; move all newsgroup RFE's to the back burner" when
    >its the lack of capability that drives people away from the newsgroups,
    >not the medium itself. Crossposting/trolling is almost a non-issue on
    >groups mainly read by technically oriented people; elsewhere on
    >non-moderated groups it will eventually rear its head. The vast majority
    >of internet users who treat their preferred online venues as a social
    >activity are
    >not interested in "download some other software" as a solution to avoiding
    >the trash.

    you should consider that TB is primarily an eMail client with *LIMITED*
    newsreader capabilities... probably because the "average Joe User"
    likes eMail but hasn't a clue about newsgroups!

    reg

  15. Re: killing crossposted articles

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Steve H_ spoke thusly on 20/09/2006 3:58 PM:
    >> Why did you post your message 7 times?

    > I only see his message posted once.
    > Try upgrading Thunderbird.

    I used to see this all the time with TB, and with 1.5.0.7 it still happens
    in a few newsgroups (including this one). The usual symptom is that
    when I open a NG, I see a number of threads that are already "open",
    showing a cascade of messages. But all the messages are the same.
    Or sometimes the cascade has two messages alternating. They aren't
    mutiply-posted; they have the same ids, timestamps, etc. Attempting
    to close the thread either fails, or succeeds partially, but leave a few
    of the cascaded messages still showing.

    It seems to happen more often in some NGs than others, even on the
    same server, so it may not be the server's fault. Actually, I have no
    idea whose fault it is, just that it's a bit annoying.

    But it does seem to be getting better with new TB releases.

    Now to see if it shows me 1 or N copies of this message ...

+ Reply to Thread