T'Bird lauches to the wrong place - Mozilla

This is a discussion on T'Bird lauches to the wrong place - Mozilla ; I had a need to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows XP Pro. In restoring my system, I seem to have fouled up my Thunderbird installation. All my files are intact. The folders and their contents are all in ...

  1. T'Bird lauches to the wrong place

    I had a need to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows XP Pro. In
    restoring my system, I seem to have fouled up my Thunderbird
    installation. All my files are intact. The folders and their contents
    are all in the correct place. But when I launch Thunderbird, it starts
    at the "mail" account page, as opposed to starting with the "inbox" as
    it once did. This is true of my Gmail account also. If I click on
    Gmail, instead of going to the inbox, it goes to the account page.

    Has anyone a clue as to how I might be able to fix this, without having
    to totally deinstall and reinstall Thunderbird?

    Thank you.

    JLOB

    Version 1.5.0.7 - WinXP Pro

  2. Re: T'Bird lauches to the wrong place

    John O'Boyle wrote:
    > I had a need to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows XP Pro. In
    > restoring my system, I seem to have fouled up my Thunderbird
    > installation. All my files are intact. The folders and their contents
    > are all in the correct place. But when I launch Thunderbird, it starts
    > at the "mail" account page, as opposed to starting with the "inbox" as
    > it once did. This is true of my Gmail account also. If I click on
    > Gmail, instead of going to the inbox, it goes to the account page.
    >
    > Has anyone a clue as to how I might be able to fix this, without having
    > to totally deinstall and reinstall Thunderbird?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > JLOB
    >
    > Version 1.5.0.7 - WinXP Pro

    In the account settings for those accounts go to the server settings and
    make sure the first three are checkboxed ..particularly, check for
    messages at startup and automatically download new messages, then see if
    TB starts up in the inbox rather than the account page.

    --
    Brian

    .. http://www.mozilla.org | http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ | http://ilias.ca/

    .. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

    .. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html

  3. Re: T'Bird lauches to the wrong place

    Brian J. Graham wrote:
    > John O'Boyle wrote:
    >> I had a need to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows XP Pro.
    >> In restoring my system, I seem to have fouled up my Thunderbird
    >> installation. All my files are intact. The folders and their
    >> contents are all in the correct place. But when I launch Thunderbird,
    >> it starts at the "mail" account page, as opposed to starting with the
    >> "inbox" as it once did. This is true of my Gmail account also. If I
    >> click on Gmail, instead of going to the inbox, it goes to the account
    >> page.
    >>
    >> Has anyone a clue as to how I might be able to fix this, without
    >> having to totally deinstall and reinstall Thunderbird?
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> JLOB
    >>
    >> Version 1.5.0.7 - WinXP Pro

    > In the account settings for those accounts go to the server settings and
    > make sure the first three are checkboxed ..particularly, check for
    > messages at startup and automatically download new messages, then see if
    > TB starts up in the inbox rather than the account page.

    Thanks. Yes, all three boxes are checked. I did notice something
    strange however, when I went to look at the properties on the mail
    account. There seems to be a second mail account shown in the tree,
    with nothing under it except a disk space indicator. This may very well
    be normal, but I've not seen it before. The link below is a screenshot
    of my mail account properties screen.

    Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

    John O'Boyle

    http://picasaweb.google.com/John.L.OBoyle/Temp

  4. Re: T'Bird lauches to the wrong place

    John O'Boyle wrote:
    > Brian J. Graham wrote:
    >> John O'Boyle wrote:
    >>> I had a need to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows XP Pro.
    >>> In restoring my system, I seem to have fouled up my Thunderbird
    >>> installation. All my files are intact. The folders and their
    >>> contents are all in the correct place. But when I launch Thunderbird,
    >>> it starts at the "mail" account page, as opposed to starting with the
    >>> "inbox" as it once did. This is true of my Gmail account also. If I
    >>> click on Gmail, instead of going to the inbox, it goes to the account
    >>> page.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone a clue as to how I might be able to fix this, without
    >>> having to totally deinstall and reinstall Thunderbird?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.
    >>>
    >>> JLOB
    >>>
    >>> Version 1.5.0.7 - WinXP Pro

    >> In the account settings for those accounts go to the server settings and
    >> make sure the first three are checkboxed ..particularly, check for
    >> messages at startup and automatically download new messages, then see if
    >> TB starts up in the inbox rather than the account page.
    >>

    > Thanks. Yes, all three boxes are checked. I did notice something
    > strange however, when I went to look at the properties on the mail
    > account. There seems to be a second mail account shown in the tree,
    > with nothing under it except a disk space indicator. This may very well
    > be normal, but I've not seen it before. The link below is a screenshot
    > of my mail account properties screen.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.
    >
    > John O'Boyle
    >

    > http://picasaweb.google.com/John.L.OBoyle/Temp

    Hi,

    Its normal its the "Local Folders" account, you must have renamed it
    at some point.

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Local_Folders

    Do you get the same problem if you start TB in safe mode?

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode_(Firefox)

    Ian

  5. Re: T'Bird lauches to the wrong place

    Ian wrote:
    > John O'Boyle wrote:
    >> Brian J. Graham wrote:

    >>> In the account settings for those accounts go to the server settings
    >>> and make sure the first three are checkboxed ..particularly, check
    >>> for messages at startup and automatically download new messages, then
    >>> see if TB starts up in the inbox rather than the account page.
    >>>

    >> Thanks. Yes, all three boxes are checked. I did notice something
    >> strange however, when I went to look at the properties on the mail
    >> account. There seems to be a second mail account shown in the tree,
    >> with nothing under it except a disk space indicator. This may very
    >> well be normal, but I've not seen it before. The link below is a
    >> screenshot of my mail account properties screen.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.
    >>
    >> John O'Boyle
    >>

    >> http://picasaweb.google.com/John.L.OBoyle/Temp

    > Hi,
    >
    > Its normal its the "Local Folders" account, you must have renamed it at
    > some point.
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Local_Folders
    >
    > Do you get the same problem if you start TB in safe mode?
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode_(Firefox)
    >
    > Ian

    Ian,

    I don't recall ever renaming the "locals folders" account. as far as
    Thunderbird safe mode goes, do you mean starting without extensions?

    Thanks.

    JLOB

  6. Re: T'Bird lauches to the wrong place

    John O'Boyle wrote:
    > Ian wrote:
    >> John O'Boyle wrote:

    >>> Thanks. Yes, all three boxes are checked. I did notice something
    >>> strange however, when I went to look at the properties on the mail
    >>> account. There seems to be a second mail account shown in the tree,
    >>> with nothing under it except a disk space indicator. This may very
    >>> well be normal, but I've not seen it before. The link below is a
    >>> screenshot of my mail account properties screen.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.
    >>>
    >>> John O'Boyle
    >>>

    >>> http://picasaweb.google.com/John.L.OBoyle/Temp

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Its normal its the "Local Folders" account, you must have renamed it
    >> at some point.
    >>
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Local_Folders
    >>
    >> Do you get the same problem if you start TB in safe mode?
    >>
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode_(Firefox)
    >>
    >> Ian

    > Ian,
    >
    > I don't recall ever renaming the "locals folders" account. as far as
    > Thunderbird safe mode goes, do you mean starting without extensions?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > JLOB

    From your screen shot, you do not seem to be using the Global Inbox.
    Without that, I don't think you can set Local Folders as the default
    account, which is where it seems to appear in your Account Settings.
    Does Local Folders also appear? Does this account appear anywhere in
    your account trees on the left pane? Does Local Folders appear there?

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  7. Re: T'Bird lauches to the wrong place

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > John O'Boyle wrote:
    >> Ian wrote:

    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Its normal its the "Local Folders" account, you must have renamed it
    >>> at some point.
    >>>
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Local_Folders
    >>>
    >>> Do you get the same problem if you start TB in safe mode?
    >>>
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode_(Firefox)
    >>>
    >>> Ian

    >> Ian,
    >>
    >> I don't recall ever renaming the "locals folders" account. as far as
    >> Thunderbird safe mode goes, do you mean starting without extensions?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> JLOB

    > From your screen shot, you do not seem to be using the Global Inbox.
    > Without that, I don't think you can set Local Folders as the default
    > account, which is where it seems to appear in your Account Settings.
    > Does Local Folders also appear? Does this account appear anywhere in
    > your account trees on the left pane? Does Local Folders appear there?
    >
    > Lee

    Lee,

    As many times as I've reinstalled Thunderbird, I never remember whether
    I am supposed to check "use global inbox" or not. This time I did not,
    and that may be causing my problem. I have no problem starting over,
    and reinstalling Thunderbird in order to get it to land on the inbox as
    it's supposed to, but I wonder if it's possible to change the setting
    for global inbox without re-installation?

    Thanks,

    LOB

  8. Re: T'Bird lauches to the wrong place

    On 09/22/2006 06:16 AM, John O'Boyle wrote:
    > [...]
    > As many times as I've reinstalled Thunderbird, I never remember whether
    > I am supposed to check "use global inbox" or not. This time I did not,
    > and that may be causing my problem. I have no problem starting over,
    > and reinstalling Thunderbird in order to get it to land on the inbox as
    > it's supposed to, but I wonder if it's possible to change the setting
    > for global inbox without re-installation?

    It is. I had to do this recently. Create custom folders within the Local
    Folders and copy the mails in your e-mail account folders to the new
    custom folders. Then go into "Tools/Account Settings /
    /Server Settings /Advanced /Use Global Inbox."

    > Thanks,
    >
    > LOB

    You're welcome.

    --
    paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net

  9. Re: T'Bird lauches to the wrong place

    John O'Boyle wrote:

    > Lee,
    >
    > As many times as I've reinstalled Thunderbird, I never remember whether
    > I am supposed to check "use global inbox" or not. This time I did not,
    > and that may be causing my problem. I have no problem starting over,
    > and reinstalling Thunderbird in order to get it to land on the inbox as
    > it's supposed to, but I wonder if it's possible to change the setting
    > for global inbox without re-installation?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > LOB

    why are you constantly reinstalling TB. You shouldn't. Just create
    new profiles and test it out there.

    --
    Bill Gates -- Heaven or Hell continued . . . "This is great!" he tells
    God, "If this is Hell, I REALLY want to see Heaven!" "Fine," says
    God, and off they go. Heaven is a high place in the clouds, with
    angels drifting about playing harps and singing. It's very nice but
    not as enticing as Hell. Bill thinks for a moment and announces his
    decision. "Hmm, I think I prefer Hell." he tells God. "Fine," says
    God, "As you desire." So Bill Gates is taken to Hell. Two weeks
    later, God decides to check up on Bill to see how he's doing in Hell.
    When God arrives in Hell, he finds Bill shackled to a wall, screaming
    amongst the hot flames in a dark cave. He's being burned and tortured
    by demons. "How's everything going, Bill?" God asks. Bill replies,
    his voice full of anguish and disappointment, "This is awful, it's not
    what I expected at all, I can't believe it. What happened to that
    other place with the beaches and the beautiful women playing in the
    water?" God smiles and says, "That was the screen saver."

  10. Re: T'Bird lauches to the wrong place

    gwtc wrote:
    > John O'Boyle wrote:
    >
    >> Lee,
    >>
    >> As many times as I've reinstalled Thunderbird, I never remember
    >> whether I am supposed to check "use global inbox" or not. This time I
    >> did not, and that may be causing my problem. I have no problem
    >> starting over, and reinstalling Thunderbird in order to get it to land
    >> on the inbox as it's supposed to, but I wonder if it's possible to
    >> change the setting for global inbox without re-installation?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> LOB

    > why are you constantly reinstalling TB. You shouldn't. Just create new
    > profiles and test it out there.

    I'm not constantly reinstalling Thunderbird. Over the years, and
    working on upwards of 35 machines, five of which are in my own home,
    I've installed Thunderbird (or its predecessors) many times. I
    generally forget to check the global inbox.

    JLOB

  11. Re: T'Bird lauches to the wrong place

    John O'Boyle wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> John O'Boyle wrote:

    /snip/
    >> why are you constantly reinstalling TB. You shouldn't. Just create
    >> new profiles and test it out there.

    > I'm not constantly reinstalling Thunderbird. Over the years, and
    > working on upwards of 35 machines, five of which are in my own home,
    > I've installed Thunderbird (or its predecessors) many times. I
    > generally forget to check the global inbox.
    >
    > JLOB

    These days, whenever you add a new pop account, its checked by default.
    I generally forget to /uncheck/ it!

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  12. Re: T'Bird lauches to the wrong place

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > John O'Boyle wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:
    >>> John O'Boyle wrote:

    > /snip/
    >>> why are you constantly reinstalling TB. You shouldn't. Just create
    >>> new profiles and test it out there.

    >> I'm not constantly reinstalling Thunderbird. Over the years, and
    >> working on upwards of 35 machines, five of which are in my own home,
    >> I've installed Thunderbird (or its predecessors) many times. I
    >> generally forget to check the global inbox.
    >>
    >> JLOB

    > These days, whenever you add a new pop account, its checked by default.
    > I generally forget to /uncheck/ it!
    >
    > Lee

    sometimes, these default settings can be a real pain :-)

    --
[...]

  13. Re: T'Bird lauches to the wrong place

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > John O'Boyle wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:
    >>> John O'Boyle wrote:

    > /snip/
    >>> why are you constantly reinstalling TB. You shouldn't. Just create
    >>> new profiles and test it out there.

    >> I'm not constantly reinstalling Thunderbird. Over the years, and
    >> working on upwards of 35 machines, five of which are in my own home,
    >> I've installed Thunderbird (or its predecessors) many times. I
    >> generally forget to check the global inbox.
    >>
    >> JLOB

    > These days, whenever you add a new pop account, its checked by default.
    > I generally forget to /uncheck/ it!
    >
    > Lee

    You and me both Lee! I despise that global inbox.

    --
    Brian

    .. http://www.mozilla.org | http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ | http://ilias.ca/

    .. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

    .. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html

  14. Re: T'Bird lauches to the wrong place

    Brian J. Graham wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> John O'Boyle wrote:

    >> /snip/

    > You and me both Lee! I despise that global inbox.

    i had tried NS 6 and it just wasn't ready. NC4 could only do one email
    address per profile.

    OE could do multiple addresses, but dumped them into that one inbox. I
    hated it.

    Moz 1.0 was the email client of my dreams, and I've never looked back!

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

+ Reply to Thread