timing out at news.mozilla.org - Mozilla

This is a discussion on timing out at news.mozilla.org - Mozilla ; I have been using Thunderbird to read the news groups at news.mozilla.org. A few days ago, I started to get a message saying that the connection to news.mozilla.org was "timing out." It has happened consistently since then. Is there a ...

  1. timing out at news.mozilla.org

    I have been using Thunderbird to read the news groups at
    news.mozilla.org. A few days ago, I started to get a message saying
    that the connection to news.mozilla.org was "timing out." It has
    happened consistently since then. Is there a known problem with the
    news group? If it is a Thunderbird issue, how do I troubleshoot it?

  2. Re: timing out at news.mozilla.org

    eema471 wrote:
    > I have been using Thunderbird to read the news groups at
    > news.mozilla.org. A few days ago, I started to get a message saying
    > that the connection to news.mozilla.org was "timing out." It has
    > happened consistently since then. Is there a known problem with the
    > news group? If it is a Thunderbird issue, how do I troubleshoot it?

    It's may be your network problem.
    Goto Tools>Options>Advanced>Config Editor
    type 'mailnews.tcptimeout' in filter . right click on it , select
    'modify' , set a higher value.
    Restart and check.

    also check your connection settings at
    Tools>Options>general>Connection Settings.

  3. Re: timing out at news.mozilla.org

    Nir wrote:
    > eema471 wrote:
    > > I have been using Thunderbird to read the news groups at
    > > news.mozilla.org. A few days ago, I started to get a message saying
    > > that the connection to news.mozilla.org was "timing out." It has
    > > happened consistently since then. Is there a known problem with the
    > > news group? If it is a Thunderbird issue, how do I troubleshoot it?
    > >

    > It's may be your network problem.
    > Goto Tools>Options>Advanced>Config Editor
    > type 'mailnews.tcptimeout' in filter . right click on it , select
    > 'modify' , set a higher value.
    > Restart and check.
    >
    > also check your connection settings at
    > Tools>Options>general>Connection Settings.

    Thank you. I changed the time from 75 to 150 and it is still timing
    out. Should I go higher or is this some other problem?

  4. Re: timing out at news.mozilla.org

    eema471 wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> eema471 wrote:
    >>> I have been using Thunderbird to read the news groups at
    >>> news.mozilla.org. A few days ago, I started to get a message saying
    >>> that the connection to news.mozilla.org was "timing out." It has
    >>> happened consistently since then. Is there a known problem with the
    >>> news group? If it is a Thunderbird issue, how do I troubleshoot it?
    >>>

    >> It's may be your network problem.
    >> Goto Tools>Options>Advanced>Config Editor
    >> type 'mailnews.tcptimeout' in filter . right click on it , select
    >> 'modify' , set a higher value.
    >> Restart and check.
    >>
    >> also check your connection settings at
    >> Tools>Options>general>Connection Settings.

    > Thank you. I changed the time from 75 to 150 and it is still timing
    > out. Should I go higher or is this some other problem?

    No , 150 is enough.
    do you have same problem in your POP3 or IMAP accounts ?
    can you read posts in newsgroups?

  5. Re: timing out at news.mozilla.org

    Nir wrote:
    > eema471 wrote:
    > > Nir wrote:
    > >>>
    > >> It's may be your network problem.
    > >> Goto Tools>Options>Advanced>Config Editor
    > >> type 'mailnews.tcptimeout' in filter . right click on it , select
    > >> 'modify' , set a higher value.
    > >> Restart and check.
    > >>
    > >> also check your connection settings at
    > >> Tools>Options>general>Connection Settings.

    > > Thank you. I changed the time from 75 to 150 and it is still timing
    > > out. Should I go higher or is this some other problem?
    > >

    > No , 150 is enough.
    > do you have same problem in your POP3 or IMAP accounts ?
    > can you read posts in newsgroups?

    I have no problem with my POP3 or IMAP accounts. The only other
    newsgroup that I subscribe to now are the old ones at
    sec.news.netscape.com. I can read the postings there.

  6. Re: timing out at news.mozilla.org

    eema471 wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> eema471 wrote:

    >>> Thank you. I changed the time from 75 to 150 and it is still timing
    >>> out. Should I go higher or is this some other problem?
    >>>

    >> No , 150 is enough.
    >> do you have same problem in your POP3 or IMAP accounts ?
    >> can you read posts in newsgroups?

    > I have no problem with my POP3 or IMAP accounts. The only other
    > newsgroup that I subscribe to now are the old ones at
    > sec.news.netscape.com. I can read the postings there.

    do you want to mean that when you select any post in any newsgroup
    under 'news.mozilla.org' , it use to show that error message?
    Just check one thing , right click on the 'news.mozilla.org' ,
    select 'subscribe' .
    in 'subscribe' window , click on 'refresh' button.
    can it refresh all list or it shows an error message ?

    also check your settings at Tools>Accoutn
    Settings>news.mozilla.org>Server Settings.
    server name : news.mozilla.org
    Port : 119
    use secure connection : no

  7. Re: timing out at news.mozilla.org

    Nir wrote:
    > eema471 wrote:
    > > Nir wrote:

    > >> No , 150 is enough.
    > >> do you have same problem in your POP3 or IMAP accounts ?
    > >> can you read posts in newsgroups?

    > > I have no problem with my POP3 or IMAP accounts. The only other
    > > newsgroup that I subscribe to now are the old ones at
    > > sec.news.netscape.com. I can read the postings there.
    > >

    > do you want to mean that when you select any post in any newsgroup
    > under 'news.mozilla.org' , it use to show that error message?
    > Just check one thing , right click on the 'news.mozilla.org' ,
    > select 'subscribe' .
    > in 'subscribe' window , click on 'refresh' button.
    > can it refresh all list or it shows an error message ?
    >
    > also check your settings at Tools>Accoutn
    > Settings>news.mozilla.org>Server Settings.
    > server name : news.mozilla.org
    > Port : 119
    > use secure connection : no

    When I right clicked on 'news.mozilla.org', and clicked refresh, it
    gave an error. I checked the settings and it was listed as secure.
    Now that I said no to the secure setting it asks for a user name to log
    in. Do I need one? Why didn't it ever ask for one before? The result
    is the same. I still can't see messages. Thanks for your help.

  8. Re: timing out at news.mozilla.org

    Nir wrote:
    > eema471 wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:

    >>> No , 150 is enough.
    >>> do you have same problem in your POP3 or IMAP accounts ?
    >>> can you read posts in newsgroups?

    >> I have no problem with my POP3 or IMAP accounts. The only other
    >> newsgroup that I subscribe to now are the old ones at
    >> sec.news.netscape.com. I can read the postings there.
    >>

    > do you want to mean that when you select any post in any newsgroup under
    > 'news.mozilla.org' , it use to show that error message?
    > Just check one thing , right click on the 'news.mozilla.org' , select
    > 'subscribe' .
    > in 'subscribe' window , click on 'refresh' button.
    > can it refresh all list or it shows an error message ?
    >
    > also check your settings at Tools>Accoutn
    > Settings>news.mozilla.org>Server Settings.
    > server name : news.mozilla.org
    > Port : 119
    > use secure connection : no

    I just checked my settings again after looking at a few other postings.
    I had the settings set to ask for authentication. When I unchecked
    that, I am back in business. Thank you for your help.

  9. Re: timing out at news.mozilla.org

    T-bird Leader Nir radioed the tower On 9/20/2006 12:01 PM:

    > eema471 wrote:
    >> I have been using Thunderbird to read the news groups at
    >> news.mozilla.org. A few days ago, I started to get a message saying
    >> that the connection to news.mozilla.org was "timing out." It has
    >> happened consistently since then. Is there a known problem with the
    >> news group? If it is a Thunderbird issue, how do I troubleshoot it?
    >>

    > It's may be your network problem.
    > Goto Tools>Options>Advanced>Config Editor
    > type 'mailnews.tcptimeout' in filter . right click on it , select
    > 'modify' , set a higher value.
    > Restart and check.
    >
    > also check your connection settings at Tools>Options>general>Connection
    > Settings.

    It was pointed out recently that this setting has no effect on NNTP
    timeouts as they are two different protocols. It may be that TCP only
    comes into play with HTTP requests by the email client viewing a HTML
    message with remotely served content. I have yet to see an explanation of
    it's function in Tbird.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting.

  10. Re: timing out at news.mozilla.org

    Ron K. wrote:
    > T-bird Leader Nir radioed the tower On 9/20/2006 12:01 PM:
    >
    >> eema471 wrote:
    >>> I have been using Thunderbird to read the news groups at
    >>> news.mozilla.org. A few days ago, I started to get a message saying
    >>> that the connection to news.mozilla.org was "timing out." It has
    >>> happened consistently since then. Is there a known problem with the
    >>> news group? If it is a Thunderbird issue, how do I troubleshoot it?
    >>>

    >> It's may be your network problem.
    >> Goto Tools>Options>Advanced>Config Editor
    >> type 'mailnews.tcptimeout' in filter . right click on it , select
    >> 'modify' , set a higher value.
    >> Restart and check.
    >>
    >> also check your connection settings at Tools>Options>general>Connection
    >> Settings.

    > It was pointed out recently that this setting has no effect on NNTP
    > timeouts as they are two different protocols. It may be that TCP only
    > comes into play with HTTP requests by the email client viewing a HTML
    > message with remotely served content. I have yet to see an explanation of
    > it's function in Tbird.

    I'm curious, where was this pointed out? I tried searching on google
    groups and did not find anything. Anyway, here goes.

    Yes, TCP & NNTP are two different protocols. However, they are
    different levels of protocols.

    TCP is a transport level protocol, specifying part of how the actual
    data packets are to be formed for transport across a network.

    NNTP, POP, SMTP, HTTP, FTP, etc, are application level protocols used
    between servers or between clients & servers. These are the actual
    commands issued between client & server software.

    For more detailed info, see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_protocol_suite

    --
    Alex

  11. Re: timing out at news.mozilla.org

    Ron K. wrote:
    > T-bird Leader Nir radioed the tower On 9/20/2006 12:01 PM:
    >
    >> eema471 wrote:
    >>> I have been using Thunderbird to read the news groups at
    >>> news.mozilla.org. A few days ago, I started to get a message saying
    >>> that the connection to news.mozilla.org was "timing out." It has
    >>> happened consistently since then. Is there a known problem with the
    >>> news group? If it is a Thunderbird issue, how do I troubleshoot it?
    >>>

    >> It's may be your network problem.
    >> Goto Tools>Options>Advanced>Config Editor
    >> type 'mailnews.tcptimeout' in filter . right click on it , select
    >> 'modify' , set a higher value.
    >> Restart and check.
    >>
    >> also check your connection settings at
    >> Tools>Options>general>Connection Settings.

    > It was pointed out recently that this setting has no effect on NNTP
    > timeouts as they are two different protocols. It may be that TCP only
    > comes into play with HTTP requests by the email client viewing a HTML
    > message with remotely served content. I have yet to see an explanation
    > of it's function in Tbird.

    I think you have mentioned about 'mailnews.tcptimeout'.
    What i have noticed is that 'mailnews.tcptimeout' specify the time
    that TB will wait or try to send a mail if it find network is not
    available .
    also according to 'mailnews.js' file , it actually controls
    'mailnews tcp read+write timeout in seconds.'

+ Reply to Thread