Go to inbox without mouse - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Go to inbox without mouse - Mozilla ; Last night my rechargeable mouse died. While I was waiting for the batteries to recharge, I wanted to go to one of my inboxes (several, one for each email account) in TBird. I couldn't figure out how to do it. ...

  1. Go to inbox without mouse

    Last night my rechargeable mouse died. While I was waiting for the
    batteries to recharge, I wanted to go to one of my inboxes (several,
    one for each email account) in TBird. I couldn't figure out how to do
    it.

    I tried using the tab key. In Outlook Express, this is easy; there are
    three positions you can tab to: the folder list, the messages list, and
    the currently open message. So if you're not where you want to be, a
    max of two tabs will put you there.

    But in TBird, there seem to be dozens of positions you can tab to--the
    from/to lines, every link in the open message, etc. But try as I
    might, I couldn't seem to tab back to the folder list, either with the
    tab key or the shift-tab keys. And there doesn't seem to be any menu
    item that positions the cursor in the currently read folder (or
    anywhere else).

    Part of the problem was that the currently open folder was scrolled off
    the top of the folder list, and there seemed to be no way to scroll it
    back into view. So if the cursor did get back there, I couldn't see
    it. I tried doing a tab key and then hitting the spacebar, in hopes
    that would show something (or maybe move to the next folder in the
    folder list, assuming the cursor was in the folder list at some point),
    but that didn't work either.

    Is there some way to move the cursor to the folder list (or the
    currently open folder, which should be more or less the same thing)
    using the keyboard?

    Also, is there some way to change the behavior of the tab key so it's
    more like Outlook Express? I have no use for tabbing to the 'from'
    line, and little use for tabbing to hyperlinks inside a message (there
    are other ways to get there). OK, it would be nice to tab to the
    search box, or whatever you call that thingie in the upper right-hand
    corner that lets you filter by author etc...

    (Apologies if this has been asked before; I can't find it, but the
    keywords are pretty generic... Couldn't find anything obvious in the
    Mozilla forums either, but it's hard to know what to search for, esp.
    since I can't seem to limit the search to TBird rather than FF.)

    Mike Maxwell

  2. Re: Go to inbox without mouse

    maxwell@ldc.upenn.edu wrote:
    > Last night my rechargeable mouse died. While I was waiting for the
    > batteries to recharge, I wanted to go to one of my inboxes (several,
    > one for each email account) in TBird. I couldn't figure out how to do
    > it.
    >
    > I tried using the tab key. In Outlook Express, this is easy; there are
    > three positions you can tab to: the folder list, the messages list, and
    > the currently open message. So if you're not where you want to be, a
    > max of two tabs will put you there.
    >
    > But in TBird, there seem to be dozens of positions you can tab to--the
    > from/to lines, every link in the open message, etc. But try as I
    > might, I couldn't seem to tab back to the folder list, either with the
    > tab key or the shift-tab keys. And there doesn't seem to be any menu
    > item that positions the cursor in the currently read folder (or
    > anywhere else).
    >
    > Part of the problem was that the currently open folder was scrolled off
    > the top of the folder list, and there seemed to be no way to scroll it
    > back into view. So if the cursor did get back there, I couldn't see
    > it. I tried doing a tab key and then hitting the spacebar, in hopes
    > that would show something (or maybe move to the next folder in the
    > folder list, assuming the cursor was in the folder list at some point),
    > but that didn't work either.
    >
    > Is there some way to move the cursor to the folder list (or the
    > currently open folder, which should be more or less the same thing)
    > using the keyboard?
    >
    > Also, is there some way to change the behavior of the tab key so it's
    > more like Outlook Express? I have no use for tabbing to the 'from'
    > line, and little use for tabbing to hyperlinks inside a message (there
    > are other ways to get there). OK, it would be nice to tab to the
    > search box, or whatever you call that thingie in the upper right-hand
    > corner that lets you filter by author etc...
    >
    > (Apologies if this has been asked before; I can't find it, but the
    > keywords are pretty generic... Couldn't find anything obvious in the
    > Mozilla forums either, but it's hard to know what to search for, esp.
    > since I can't seem to limit the search to TBird rather than FF.)
    >
    > Mike Maxwell

    use 'Up Arrow' key & 'Down Arrow ' key to go through different
    folders.
    To expand any account folders , first select that account using
    'Up Arrow' key or 'Down Arrow ' key
    hit 'right arrow' key to expand folder under that account.
    hit 'left arrow' key collapse all folder under it's account name

  3. Re: Go to inbox without mouse

    maxwell@ldc.upenn.edu wrote:
    > Last night my rechargeable mouse died. While I was waiting for the
    > batteries to recharge, I wanted to go to one of my inboxes (several,
    > one for each email account) in TBird. I couldn't figure out how to do
    > it.
    >
    > I tried using the tab key. In Outlook Express, this is easy; there are
    > three positions you can tab to: the folder list, the messages list, and
    > the currently open message. So if you're not where you want to be, a
    > max of two tabs will put you there.
    >
    > But in TBird, there seem to be dozens of positions you can tab to--the
    > from/to lines, every link in the open message, etc. But try as I
    > might, I couldn't seem to tab back to the folder list, either with the
    > tab key or the shift-tab keys. And there doesn't seem to be any menu
    > item that positions the cursor in the currently read folder (or
    > anywhere else).
    >
    > Part of the problem was that the currently open folder was scrolled off
    > the top of the folder list, and there seemed to be no way to scroll it
    > back into view. So if the cursor did get back there, I couldn't see
    > it. I tried doing a tab key and then hitting the spacebar, in hopes
    > that would show something (or maybe move to the next folder in the
    > folder list, assuming the cursor was in the folder list at some point),
    > but that didn't work either.
    >
    > Is there some way to move the cursor to the folder list (or the
    > currently open folder, which should be more or less the same thing)
    > using the keyboard?

    I can move around without the mouse. I can tab around and use the
    arrow keys to move around within the folders, messages, etc.

    > Also, is there some way to change the behavior of the tab key so it's
    > more like Outlook Express?

    Geee, how about making all of TB like Outlook!

    --
    continued . . . At that point, the guy is so mad that he throws the
    bird into the freezer. For the first few seconds there is a terrible

  4. Re: Go to inbox without mouse

    On 09/20/2006 07:19 AM, maxwell@ldc.upenn.edu wrote:
    > Last night my rechargeable mouse died. While I was waiting for the
    > batteries to recharge, I wanted to go to one of my inboxes (several,
    > one for each email account) in TBird. I couldn't figure out how to do
    > it.
    > [...]

    I believe that Windows has an accessibility option that you can activate
    by pressing some key sequence (F11, F12 ?). In that mode, the cursor
    keys will move the mouse pointer.

    Note, it's been a while since I've used Windows, so my memory is fuzzy
    on that.

    --
    paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net

  5. Re: Go to inbox without mouse

    On 2006-09-20 13:19, maxwell@ldc.upenn.edu wrote:
    > Last night my rechargeable mouse died. .... I wanted to go to
    > one of my inboxes .... Part of the problem was that the
    > currently open folder was scrolled off the top of the folder
    > list, and there seemed to be no way to scroll it back into
    > view. So if the cursor did get back there, I couldn't see it.
    > Also .... I have no use for tabbing to the 'from' line, and
    > little use for tabbing to hyperlinks inside a message ....

    Can't reproduce your problem: in my installation (1.5.0.7 on
    Windows), when the folders pane is focused, it's possible to
    navigate through the folders in the way Nir explained, without
    losing sight of the selected folder. In addition, using
    Ctrl+Arrows, it's possible to scroll the pane without changing the
    selected folder. As to tabbing through the panes, using Ctrl+Tab
    (or F6) excludes the message-preview pane from the cycle, making
    it quicker to return to the folders pane.

  6. Re: Go to inbox without mouse

    Yes, so could I, but as I wrote:
    > > I tried using the tab key....
    > > But in TBird, there seem to be dozens of positions you can tab to--the
    > > from/to lines, every link in the open message, etc. But try as I
    > > might, I couldn't seem to tab back to the folder list, either with the
    > > tab key or the shift-tab keys. ...
    > >
    > > Part of the problem was that the currently open folder was scrolled off
    > > the top of the folder list, and there seemed to be no way to scroll it
    > > back into view. So if the cursor did get back there, I couldn't see
    > > it.

    > > Also, is there some way to change the behavior of the tab key so it's
    > > more like Outlook Express?

    > Geee, how about making all of TB like Outlook!

    Oh, cut me some slack, or I'll have to bring in my fire extinguisher.
    I'm using TB because for the most part I like it better than OE (and
    definitely better than Outlook). My point is that it isn't perfect,
    and that more (places to tab to) is not necessarily better. At least
    it isn't for me. As I said: I have no use for tabbing to hyperlinks.

  7. Re: Go to inbox without mouse

    Nir wrote:
    > use 'Up Arrow' key & 'Down Arrow ' key to go through different
    > folders.
    > To expand any account folders , first select that account using
    > 'Up Arrow' key or 'Down Arrow ' key
    > hit 'right arrow' key to expand folder under that account.
    > hit 'left arrow' key collapse all folder under it's account name

    All that would doubtless work if I could first get into the folder list
    pane. I tried for five or ten minutes to tab into the folder list. My
    problem was that I couldn't seem to get there (or more likely, I
    couldn't tell _where_ I was, since the folder I was in was scrolled off
    the list of folders, and for many of the other positions the cursor
    went to, there was little or no indication that it was there (e.g.
    hyperlinks).

  8. Re: Go to inbox without mouse

    Telmo Amaral wrote:
    > Can't reproduce your problem: in my installation (1.5.0.7 on
    > Windows), when the folders pane is focused, it's possible to
    > navigate through the folders in the way Nir explained, without
    > losing sight of the selected folder.

    The folder whose messages were displayed over in the message list was
    already out of sight when my mouse died. The reason was that I have a
    _lot_ of folders under my "Categorized" list, and I had just moved a
    message from the current folder (one of my inboxes) over to another
    folder (in the Categorized list), causing the latter folder to scroll
    up into view, and the former folder to scroll off the top of the view.
    So when I tabbed into the folder list--assuming I could do that (and I
    think at some point I must have)--there was no visual indication; the
    highlighted folder (an inbox) was already scrolled out of view, and did
    not automatically scroll back into view.

    > In addition, using
    > Ctrl+Arrows, it's possible to scroll the pane without changing the
    > selected folder. As to tabbing through the panes, using Ctrl+Tab
    > (or F6) excludes the message-preview pane from the cycle, making
    > it quicker to return to the folders pane.

    Well, these are as close to answers as I've seen; I'll have to try
    them. (I'm at work now, and all I have here is Outlook.)

  9. Re: Go to inbox without mouse

    Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:
    > I believe that Windows has an accessibility option that you can activate
    > by pressing some key sequence (F11, F12 ?). In that mode, the cursor
    > keys will move the mouse pointer.

    Thanks, for anyone else that might be interested (like me, next time my
    battery dies and I've forgotten...), that's described in
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000542.htm. For some reason, it's
    accessible from the Control Panel | Accessibility Options, but not from
    Accessories | Accessibility. The default hotkey is
    .

  10. Re: Go to inbox without mouse

    maxwell@ldc.upenn.edu wrote:
    > Telmo Amaral wrote:

    > The folder whose messages were displayed over in the message
    > list was already out of sight when my mouse died. .... So when
    > I tabbed into the folder list--assuming I could do that (and I
    > think at some point I must have)--there was no visual
    > indication; the highlighted folder (an inbox) was already
    > scrolled out of view, and did not automatically scroll back
    > into view.

    I understand it better now. Indeed, if the selected folder is out
    of sight and you start tabbing through the panes, then, when the
    focus eventually returns to the folders pane, there is no visual
    indication. I agree it would be better if, when the focus returns,
    the selected folder automatically scrolled back into sight. You
    could go to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ and, if no such
    enhancement bug has been filed yet, create one. Meanwhile, the
    best work-around I can think of is: use Ctrl+Tab until you see
    that the focus in on the messages list (in the default theme, the
    highlight of the selected message should go from grey to blue);
    then, press Ctrl+Tab again twice - the focus should now be back on
    the folders pane; use Ctrl+Up/Down arrows to bring the selected
    folder back into sight.

  11. Re: Go to inbox without mouse

    maxwell@ldc.upenn.edu wrote:
    > I tried using the tab key. In Outlook Express, this is easy; there are
    > three positions you can tab to: the folder list, the messages list, and
    > the currently open message. So if you're not where you want to be, a
    > max of two tabs will put you there.

    In Mozilla, Shift+Tab or F6 moves from pane to pane; Tab moves from
    control to control.

    > Part of the problem was that the currently open folder was scrolled off
    > the top of the folder list, and there seemed to be no way to scroll it
    > back into view. So if the cursor did get back there, I couldn't see
    > it. I tried doing a tab key and then hitting the spacebar, in hopes
    > that would show something (or maybe move to the next folder in the
    > folder list, assuming the cursor was in the folder list at some point),
    > but that didn't work either.

    In the suite, there is a feature called the "focus ring" which displays
    around the Folder pane and the Thread pane when they have the focus,
    regardless of whether the selected item is visible. That was removed
    from TB for reasons I don't fully understand, but you can add a
    customization to put it back in. I use the following: in my
    userChrome.css file, I have these lines:
    ================
    ..focusring treechildren
    {
    border: solid 2px transparent;
    }

    ..focusring:focus treechildren
    {
    border: dotted 2px silver;
    }
    ===============
    When one of the panes has focus, its primary display element
    (treechildren) gets a pale dotted border drawn around it.

    It would be nice to get a similar indication on the message pane, but
    that doesn't have treechildren and I don't think the message pane gets
    the .focusring class applied to it when it gets focus.

    > Is there some way to move the cursor to the folder list (or the
    > currently open folder, which should be more or less the same thing)
    > using the keyboard?

    Using F6 or Shift+tab, move the focus to the Folder pane; then press an
    arrow key, which will move from one folder to another, but will also
    scroll the selected folder into view.

  12. Re: Go to inbox without mouse

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:39:53 -0700, Mike Cowperthwaite wrote:

    > maxwell@ldc.upenn.edu wrote:
    >> I tried using the tab key. In Outlook Express, this is easy; there are
    >> three positions you can tab to: the folder list, the messages list, and
    >> the currently open message. So if you're not where you want to be, a
    >> max of two tabs will put you there.

    > In Mozilla, Shift+Tab or F6 moves from pane to pane; Tab moves from
    > control to control.

    I'm not getting that to work here. F6 does cycle cleanly, but it
    includes the search box in addition to the panes, and Shift-Tab
    gets stuck in the message body pane.

    p.

    --
    Mail: Thunderbird 1.5.0.7
    News: Dialog 2.0.15.1 (beta 38)

  13. Re: Go to inbox without mouse

    Paul_B wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:39:53 -0700, Mike Cowperthwaite wrote:
    >
    >> maxwell@ldc.upenn.edu wrote:
    >>> I tried using the tab key. In Outlook Express, this is easy; there are
    >>> three positions you can tab to: the folder list, the messages list, and
    >>> the currently open message. So if you're not where you want to be, a
    >>> max of two tabs will put you there.

    >> In Mozilla, Shift+Tab or F6 moves from pane to pane; Tab moves from
    >> control to control.

    > I'm not getting that to work here. F6 does cycle cleanly, but it
    > includes the search box in addition to the panes, and Shift-Tab
    > gets stuck in the message body pane.

    He probably meant Ctrl+Tab.

  14. Re: Go to inbox without mouse

    Telmo Amaral wrote:
    > maxwell@ldc.upenn.edu wrote:
    > > Telmo Amaral wrote:

    > I understand it better now. Indeed, if the selected folder is out
    > of sight and you start tabbing through the panes, then, when the
    > focus eventually returns to the folders pane, there is no visual
    > indication. I agree it would be better if, when the focus returns,
    > the selected folder automatically scrolled back into sight. You
    > could go to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ and, if no such
    > enhancement bug has been filed yet, create one.

    I'll have a look, but not being familiar with how things are organized
    there, and imagining that there are hundreds of enhancement bugs filed,
    I'm intimidated. But I'll give it a try.

    > Meanwhile, the
    > best work-around I can think of is: use Ctrl+Tab until you see
    > that the focus in on the messages list (in the default theme, the
    > highlight of the selected message should go from grey to blue);
    > then, press Ctrl+Tab again twice - the focus should now be back on
    > the folders pane; use Ctrl+Up/Down arrows to bring the selected
    > folder back into sight.

    Thanks, the Ctrl-Tab method works well.

  15. Re: Go to inbox without mouse

    Thanos wrote:
    > Paul_B wrote:

    > >> In Mozilla, Shift+Tab or F6 moves from pane to pane; Tab moves from
    > >> control to control.

    > > I'm not getting that to work here. F6 does cycle cleanly, but it
    > > includes the search box in addition to the panes, and Shift-Tab
    > > gets stuck in the message body pane.

    > He probably meant Ctrl+Tab.

    Agreed, and I think Shift-Tab moves you backwards through the controls,
    i.e. it does the same as the Tab key, but in the opposite direction. I
    believe (but can't confirm here at work) that Ctrl-Shift-Tab also does
    the same as Ctrl-Tab, but in the opposite direction.

  16. Re: Go to inbox without mouse

    Thanos wrote:
    > Paul_B wrote:

    >>> In Mozilla, Shift+Tab or F6 moves from pane to pane; Tab moves from
    >>> control to control.

    >> I'm not getting that to work here. F6 does cycle cleanly, but it
    >> includes the search box in addition to the panes, and Shift-Tab gets
    >> stuck in the message body pane.

    > He probably meant Ctrl+Tab.

    I did, my mistake. And Ctrl+Shift+Tab is the equivalent of Shift+F6,
    moving backwards.

  17. Re: Go to inbox without mouse

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 09:55:25 -0700, Mike Cowperthwaite wrote:

    > Thanos wrote:
    >> Paul_B wrote:

    >>> I'm not getting that to work here. F6 does cycle cleanly, but it
    >>> includes the search box in addition to the panes, and Shift-Tab gets
    >>> stuck in the message body pane.

    >> He probably meant Ctrl+Tab.

    > I did, my mistake. And Ctrl+Shift+Tab is the equivalent of Shift+F6,
    > moving backwards.

    no prob. but with ctrl-tab i toggle only between folders and body
    panes. the list pane is unavailable.

    p.
    --
    Mail: Thunderbird 1.5.0.7
    News: Dialog 2.0.15.1 (beta 38)

  18. Re: Go to inbox without mouse

    Paul_B wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 09:55:25 -0700, Mike Cowperthwaite wrote:
    >
    >> Thanos wrote:

    >>> He probably meant Ctrl+Tab.

    >> I did, my mistake. And Ctrl+Shift+Tab is the equivalent of
    >> Shift+F6, moving backwards.

    > no prob. but with ctrl-tab i toggle only between folders and body
    > panes. the list pane is unavailable.

    That's not normal behavior. Do you have an extension installed that
    might be interfering?

  19. Re: Go to inbox without mouse

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 09:11:53 -0700, Mike Cowperthwaite wrote:

    > Paul_B wrote:

    >>> I did, my mistake. And Ctrl+Shift+Tab is the equivalent of
    >>> Shift+F6, moving backwards.

    >> no prob. but with ctrl-tab i toggle only between folders and body
    >> panes. the list pane is unavailable.

    > That's not normal behavior. Do you have an extension installed that
    > might be interfering?

    the only one that strikes me as a possible conflict is Maximize
    Message Pane, which hides the headers pane with or without the
    folders pane, upon a keypress. the keys used for that have
    nothing to do with Tab, however.

    my wish would be that someone would write a keyconfig script that
    would set each pane to a specified hotkey.

    ok, i just disabled MMP. now Ctrl-Tab cycles among folders,
    search box, headers, message pane. so i guess MMP was a factor,
    but i'm still not getting standard Ctrl-Tab MDI behavior.

    thanks,
    p.
    --
    Mail: Thunderbird 1.5.0.7