Message counts - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Message counts - Mozilla ; When I read news from my ISP's server (news.optonline.net) the message counts and the real number of messages are wildly unrelated. i.e. "107" = "4" actual. Is that due to the ISP, TB or a combo of both? -- Lou ...

  1. Message counts

    --

    Lou
    Please do something good for the world!

  2. Re: Message counts

    Lou wrote:
    > When I read news from my ISP's server (news.optonline.net) the message
    > counts and the real number of messages are wildly unrelated. i.e. "107"
    > = "4" actual. Is that due to the ISP, TB or a combo of both?

    its a TB problem. Close TB, locate your TB profile using your file
    manager. Inside the news section, you'll find some *.msf files. When
    you find them, delete them.

    to locate your TB profile, you can read this:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/thund...profile#locate

    but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

    --
    continued . . . At that point, the guy is so mad that he throws the
    bird into the freezer. For the first few seconds there is a terrible

  3. Re: Message counts

    Lou wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Lou wrote:
    >>> When I read news from my ISP's server (news.optonline.net) the message
    >>> counts and the real number of messages are wildly unrelated. i.e.
    >>> "107" = "4" actual. Is that due to the ISP, TB or a combo of both?

    >> its a TB problem. Close TB, locate your TB profile using your file
    >> manager. Inside the news section, you'll find some *.msf files. When
    >> you find them, delete them.
    >>
    >> to locate your TB profile, you can read this:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thund...profile#locate
    >>
    >> but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx
    >>

    > How long before I have to do it again?

    it could be anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 months, or more. I've
    never had to remove the *.msf files from any of my mail accounts, and
    I've only had to remove them from a couple of newsgroups. I have been
    using Mozilla Suite since 1.2.0 days, and now I'm into SM.

    --
    continued . . . At that point, the guy is so mad that he throws the
    bird into the freezer. For the first few seconds there is a terrible
    din. The bird kicks and claws and thrashes. Then it suddenly gets very
    quiet. At first the guy just waits, but then he starts to think that
    the bird may be hurt. After a couple of minutes of silence, he's so
    worried that he opens up the freezer door. The bird meekly climbs
    onto the man's outstretched arm and says, "Awfully sorry about the
    trouble I gave you. I'll do my best to improve my vocabulary from now
    on." The man is astounded and amazed at the transformation that has
    come over the parrot. Then the parrot says, "By the way, what did the
    CHICKEN DO?"

  4. Re: Message counts

    gwtc wrote:
    > Lou wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:
    >>> its a TB problem. Close TB, locate your TB profile using your file
    >>> manager. Inside the news section, you'll find some *.msf files.
    >>> When you find them, delete them.
    >>>
    >>> to locate your TB profile, you can read this:
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thund...profile#locate
    >>>
    >>> but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx
    >>>

    >> How long before I have to do it again?
    >>

    > it could be anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 months, or more. I've never
    > had to remove the *.msf files from any of my mail accounts, and I've
    > only had to remove them from a couple of newsgroups. I have been using
    > Mozilla Suite since 1.2.0 days, and now I'm into SM.

    Thanks

    --

    Lou
    Please do something good for the world!
    These folks have a system that uses the time your machine would be
    idling showing a screen saver to do Medical and / or Cancer research.
    NO spam or malware. http://www.grid.org/projects/hpf/

  5. Re: Message counts

    Lou wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Lou wrote:

    >>> How long before I have to do it again?
    >>>

    >> it could be anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 months, or more. I've
    >> never had to remove the *.msf files from any of my mail accounts, and
    >> I've only had to remove them from a couple of newsgroups. I have been
    >> using Mozilla Suite since 1.2.0 days, and now I'm into SM.
    >>

    > Thanks

    It's not that bad. I used to dump .msf files a lot, and their
    predecessors in Netscape and Mozilla, but I mark all mesages read now,
    and that usually straightens things out. The problem stems from my ISP,
    or via cancelled messages, so it's not a big problem.

    --
    John McWilliams

  6. Re: Message counts

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Lou wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> it could be anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 months, or more. I've
    >>> never had to remove the *.msf files from any of my mail accounts, and
    >>> I've only had to remove them from a couple of newsgroups. I have
    >>> been using Mozilla Suite since 1.2.0 days, and now I'm into SM.
    >>>

    >> Thanks
    >>

    > It's not that bad. I used to dump .msf files a lot, and their
    > predecessors in Netscape and Mozilla, but I mark all mesages read now,
    > and that usually straightens things out. The problem stems from my ISP,
    > or via cancelled messages, so it's not a big problem.

    I always mark all messages read as I leave a group. I will try dumping
    ..msf files today.

    --

    Lou
    Please do something good for the world!
    These folks have a system that uses the time your machine would be
    idling showing a screen saver to do Medical and / or Cancer research.
    NO spam or malware. http://www.grid.org/projects/hpf/

+ Reply to Thread