Thunderbird hangs on building index file - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Thunderbird hangs on building index file - Mozilla ; Hi all, I recently switched from MS outlook to Thunderbird (1.5.0.7) and moved around a (pretty large) bunch of emails in two steps: 1/ from Outlook -> Thunderbird on my laptop, then 2/ from my laptop ->desktop, by copying the ...

  1. Thunderbird hangs on building index file

    Hi all,

    I recently switched from MS outlook to Thunderbird (1.5.0.7) and moved
    around a (pretty large) bunch of emails in two steps: 1/ from Outlook
    -> Thunderbird on my laptop, then 2/ from my laptop ->desktop, by
    copying the files in the Apps Data/thunderbird directory.

    On my desktop I regularly run into troubles when I double click on a
    folder in my local files. Thunderbird hangs for ever, doesn't show the
    index of messages in that particular folder and I get the following
    error messages from the java console (see below).

    Any hint?

    Thanks,

    St.

    Erreur : [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004002
    (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsIIOService.newURI]" nsresult: "0x80004002
    (NS_NOINTERFACE)" location: "JS frame ::
    chrome://messenger/content/phishingDetector.js :: isPhishingURL :: line
    67" data: no]
    Fichier source : chrome://messenger/content/phishingDetector.js
    Ligne : 67

    Erreur : Components is not defined
    Fichier source : chrome://copysent2current/content/resetAllFcc.js
    Ligne : 12

  2. Re: Thunderbird hangs on building index file

    stdecara@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I recently switched from MS outlook to Thunderbird (1.5.0.7) and moved
    > around a (pretty large) bunch of emails in two steps: 1/ from Outlook
    > -> Thunderbird on my laptop, then 2/ from my laptop ->desktop, by
    > copying the files in the Apps Data/thunderbird directory.
    >
    > On my desktop I regularly run into troubles when I double click on a
    > folder in my local files. Thunderbird hangs for ever, doesn't show the
    > index of messages in that particular folder and I get the following
    > error messages from the java console (see below).
    >
    > Any hint?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > St.
    >
    > Erreur : [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004002
    > (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsIIOService.newURI]" nsresult: "0x80004002
    > (NS_NOINTERFACE)" location: "JS frame ::
    > chrome://messenger/content/phishingDetector.js :: isPhishingURL :: line
    > 67" data: no]
    > Fichier source : chrome://messenger/content/phishingDetector.js
    > Ligne : 67
    >
    > Erreur : Components is not defined
    > Fichier source : chrome://copysent2current/content/resetAllFcc.js
    > Ligne : 12

    Completely Close Thunderbird.
    Open Task manager and make it sure that no thunderbird.exe is not
    running under Process tab.
    Goto your Thunderbird profile folder
    (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder#Thunderbird)
    Open 'mail' folder
    Delete all .msf files
    Start Thunderbird and check

  3. Re: Thunderbird hangs on building index file

    Nir wrote:
    > stdecara@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I recently switched from MS outlook to Thunderbird (1.5.0.7) and moved
    >> around a (pretty large) bunch of emails in two steps: 1/ from Outlook
    >> -> Thunderbird on my laptop, then 2/ from my laptop ->desktop, by
    >> copying the files in the Apps Data/thunderbird directory.
    >>
    >> On my desktop I regularly run into troubles when I double click on a
    >> folder in my local files. Thunderbird hangs for ever, doesn't show the
    >> index of messages in that particular folder and I get the following
    >> error messages from the java console (see below).
    >>
    >> Any hint?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> St.
    >>
    >> Erreur : [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004002
    >> (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsIIOService.newURI]" nsresult: "0x80004002
    >> (NS_NOINTERFACE)" location: "JS frame ::
    >> chrome://messenger/content/phishingDetector.js :: isPhishingURL :: line
    >> 67" data: no]
    >> Fichier source : chrome://messenger/content/phishingDetector.js
    >> Ligne : 67
    >>
    >> Erreur : Components is not defined
    >> Fichier source : chrome://copysent2current/content/resetAllFcc.js
    >> Ligne : 12
    >>

    > Completely Close Thunderbird.
    > Open Task manager and make it sure that no thunderbird.exe is not
    > running under Process tab.
    > Goto your Thunderbird profile folder
    > (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder#Thunderbird)
    > Open 'mail' folder
    > Delete all .msf files
    > Start Thunderbird and check

    I was going to suggest turn off the Scam feature {under Tools,
    Options, Privacy, email scams tab.]

    --
    continued . . . At that point, the guy is so mad that he throws the
    bird into the freezer. For the first few seconds there is a terrible

  4. Re: Thunderbird hangs on building index file

    Thanks,

    It looks as if the problem comes because all the msf files are not
    created automatically but only when the folder is accessed to. If
    thunderbird is asked something while building the msf, it gets somewhat
    confused.

    Hope this is gonna stabilize over time.

    St.

    gwtc wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    > > stdecara@gmail.com wrote:
    > >> Hi all,
    > >>
    > >> I recently switched from MS outlook to Thunderbird (1.5.0.7) and moved
    > >> around a (pretty large) bunch of emails in two steps: 1/ from Outlook
    > >> -> Thunderbird on my laptop, then 2/ from my laptop ->desktop, by
    > >> copying the files in the Apps Data/thunderbird directory.
    > >>
    > >> On my desktop I regularly run into troubles when I double click on a
    > >> folder in my local files. Thunderbird hangs for ever, doesn't show the
    > >> index of messages in that particular folder and I get the following
    > >> error messages from the java console (see below).
    > >>
    > >> Any hint?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >>
    > >> St.
    > >>
    > >> Erreur : [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004002
    > >> (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsIIOService.newURI]" nsresult: "0x80004002
    > >> (NS_NOINTERFACE)" location: "JS frame ::
    > >> chrome://messenger/content/phishingDetector.js :: isPhishingURL :: line
    > >> 67" data: no]
    > >> Fichier source : chrome://messenger/content/phishingDetector.js
    > >> Ligne : 67
    > >>
    > >> Erreur : Components is not defined
    > >> Fichier source : chrome://copysent2current/content/resetAllFcc.js
    > >> Ligne : 12
    > >>

    > > Completely Close Thunderbird.
    > > Open Task manager and make it sure that no thunderbird.exe is not
    > > running under Process tab.
    > > Goto your Thunderbird profile folder
    > > (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder#Thunderbird)
    > > Open 'mail' folder
    > > Delete all .msf files
    > > Start Thunderbird and check

    > I was going to suggest turn off the Scam feature {under Tools,
    > Options, Privacy, email scams tab.]
    >
    > --
    > continued . . . At that point, the guy is so mad that he throws the
    > bird into the freezer. For the first few seconds there is a terrible
    > din. The bird kicks and claws and thrashes. Then it suddenly gets very
    > quiet. At first the guy just waits, but then he starts to think that
    > the bird may be hurt. After a couple of minutes of silence, he's so
    > worried that he opens up the freezer door. The bird meekly climbs
    > onto the man's outstretched arm and says, "Awfully sorry about the
    > trouble I gave you. I'll do my best to improve my vocabulary from now
    > on." The man is astounded and amazed at the transformation that has
    > come over the parrot. Then the parrot says, "By the way, what did the
    > CHICKEN DO?"

  5. Re: Thunderbird hangs on building index file

    stdecara@gmail.com wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:

    >>> Completely Close Thunderbird.
    >>> Open Task manager and make it sure that no thunderbird.exe is not
    >>> running under Process tab.
    >>> Goto your Thunderbird profile folder
    >>> (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder#Thunderbird)
    >>> Open 'mail' folder
    >>> Delete all .msf files
    >>> Start Thunderbird and check

    >> I was going to suggest turn off the Scam feature {under Tools,
    >> Options, Privacy, email scams tab.]
    >>
    >> --
    >> continued . . . At that point, the guy is so mad that he throws the
    >> bird into the freezer. For the first few seconds there is a terrible
    >> din. The bird kicks and claws and thrashes. Then it suddenly gets very
    >> quiet. At first the guy just waits, but then he starts to think that
    >> the bird may be hurt. After a couple of minutes of silence, he's so
    >> worried that he opens up the freezer door. The bird meekly climbs
    >> onto the man's outstretched arm and says, "Awfully sorry about the
    >> trouble I gave you. I'll do my best to improve my vocabulary from now
    >> on." The man is astounded and amazed at the transformation that has
    >> come over the parrot. Then the parrot says, "By the way, what did the
    >> CHICKEN DO?"

    > Thanks,
    >
    > It looks as if the problem comes because all the msf files are not
    > created automatically but only when the folder is accessed to. If
    > thunderbird is asked something while building the msf, it gets somewhat
    > confused.

    Just check this :
    Goto Start >Run
    Type "thunderbird.exe" -profilemanager
    select your profile and also check 'start with offline mode'
    Does same problem occurs when you click on any folder?
    > Hope this is gonna stabilize over time.
    >
    > St.

  6. Re: Thunderbird hangs on building index file [thunderbird erratic behavior]

    I checked it out. But the behavior of Thunderbird is still erratic...
    I still get very strange messages. The excerpt from today's java
    console:

    Erreur :
    Fichier source :
    jar:resource:///chrome/fr.jar!/locale/fr/editor/contents.rdf
    Ligne : 1, Colonne : 1
    Code source :
    ^

    Failed to load old-style contents.rdf at
    'jar:resource:///chrome/fr.jar!/locale/fr/editor/contents.rdf'.

    I am beginning to regret MS Outlook (I cannot believe I just said
    that!)

    St.
    Nir wrote:
    > stdecara@gmail.com wrote:
    > > gwtc wrote:

    > >> I was going to suggest turn off the Scam feature {under Tools,
    > >> Options, Privacy, email scams tab.]
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> continued . . . At that point, the guy is so mad that he throws the
    > >> bird into the freezer. For the first few seconds there is a terrible
    > >> din. The bird kicks and claws and thrashes. Then it suddenly gets very
    > >> quiet. At first the guy just waits, but then he starts to think that
    > >> the bird may be hurt. After a couple of minutes of silence, he's so
    > >> worried that he opens up the freezer door. The bird meekly climbs
    > >> onto the man's outstretched arm and says, "Awfully sorry about the
    > >> trouble I gave you. I'll do my best to improve my vocabulary from now
    > >> on." The man is astounded and amazed at the transformation that has
    > >> come over the parrot. Then the parrot says, "By the way, what did the
    > >> CHICKEN DO?"

    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > It looks as if the problem comes because all the msf files are not
    > > created automatically but only when the folder is accessed to. If
    > > thunderbird is asked something while building the msf, it gets somewhat
    > > confused.
    > >

    > Just check this :
    > Goto Start >Run
    > Type "thunderbird.exe" -profilemanager
    > select your profile and also check 'start with offline mode'
    > Does same problem occurs when you click on any folder?
    > > Hope this is gonna stabilize over time.
    > >
    > > St.

  7. Re: Thunderbird hangs on building index file [thunderbird erraticbehavior]

    stdecara@gmail.com wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> stdecara@gmail.com wrote:

    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> It looks as if the problem comes because all the msf files are not
    >>> created automatically but only when the folder is accessed to. If
    >>> thunderbird is asked something while building the msf, it gets somewhat
    >>> confused.
    >>>

    >> Just check this :
    >> Goto Start >Run
    >> Type "thunderbird.exe" -profilemanager
    >> select your profile and also check 'start with offline mode'
    >> Does same problem occurs when you click on any folder?
    >>> Hope this is gonna stabilize over time.
    >>>
    >>> St.
    >>>

    > I checked it out. But the behavior of Thunderbird is still erratic...
    > I still get very strange messages. The excerpt from today's java
    > console:
    >
    > Erreur :
    > Fichier source :
    > jar:resource:///chrome/fr.jar!/locale/fr/editor/contents.rdf
    > Ligne : 1, Colonne : 1
    > Code source :
    > ^
    >
    > Failed to load old-style contents.rdf at
    > 'jar:resource:///chrome/fr.jar!/locale/fr/editor/contents.rdf'.
    >
    > I am beginning to regret MS Outlook (I cannot believe I just said
    > that!)
    >
    > St.

    Please bottom post in this newsgroup. Thanks.

    Start Thunderbird in safe mode and check whether you are getting
    same problem or not.
    also goto your profile folder and delete "XUL.mfl" file . Start
    Thunderbird and check again.
    also see this page :
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Application_not_responding

+ Reply to Thread