sorting newsgroups - Mozilla

This is a discussion on sorting newsgroups - Mozilla ; Hi, I would like to know if it's possible to sort newsgroups of a same server (e.g:news.mozilla.org), by alphabetic order (A-Z) ? Every time when i subscript to new forums, the added forums appear at the end of existing list ...

  1. sorting newsgroups

    Hi,

    I would like to know if it's possible to sort newsgroups of a same
    server (e.g:news.mozilla.org), by alphabetic order (A-Z) ?

    Every time when i subscript to new forums, the added forums appear at
    the end of existing list of newsgroups....

    thx,

    Alain

  2. Re: sorting newsgroups

    _--== Alain ==--_ spoke thusly on 18/09/2006 3:54 AM:
    > I would like to know if it's possible to sort newsgroups of a same
    > server (e.g:news.mozilla.org), by alphabetic order (A-Z) ?
    >
    > Every time when i subscript to new forums, the added forums appear at
    > the end of existing list of newsgroups....

    It's possible, but you have to manually edit the RC file, for that server.
    See .
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  3. Re: sorting newsgroups

    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=sit...ing+newsgroups

    --
    paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net

  4. Re: sorting newsgroups

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _--== Alain ==--_ spoke thusly on 18/09/2006 3:54 AM:
    >> I would like to know if it's possible to sort newsgroups of a same
    >> server (e.g:news.mozilla.org), by alphabetic order (A-Z) ?
    >>
    >> Every time when i subscript to new forums, the added forums appear at
    >> the end of existing list of newsgroups....

    > It's possible, but you have to manually edit the RC file, for that server.
    > See .

    The odd thing about this is (at least on the Mac version), that you
    could drag and drop sort list in Netscape Navigator and disappeared once
    Communicator came on the scene.

    Martinsville Va 24112 |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

    If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

    mailtojones@kimbanet.com

  5. Re: sorting newsgroups

    Will it be fixed in the future version ?

    because from my point of view, this is a userfriendly behavior to have
    it sorted automatically.

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _--== Alain ==--_ spoke thusly on 18/09/2006 3:54 AM:
    >> I would like to know if it's possible to sort newsgroups of a same
    >> server (e.g:news.mozilla.org), by alphabetic order (A-Z) ?
    >>
    >> Every time when i subscript to new forums, the added forums appear at
    >> the end of existing list of newsgroups....

    > It's possible, but you have to manually edit the RC file, for that server.
    > See .

  6. Re: sorting newsgroups

    --== Alain ==-- wrote:
    > because from my point of view, this is a userfriendly behavior to have
    > it sorted automatically.

    as you said, from your "point of view." From my point of view, I
    couldn't care less. They're there, and it doesn't matter how they're
    sorted.

    --
    Pic of the Day: New Campbell's Soup:
    http://img85.imageshack.us/my.php?im...mofspamnx1.jpg

  7. Re: sorting newsgroups

    _--== Alain ==--_ spoke thusly on 18/09/2006 2:48 PM:
    > Will it be fixed in the future version ?

    Only if you bottom-post. :-)

    > because from my point of view, this is a userfriendly behavior to have
    > it sorted automatically.

    It's considered a bug. The intent certainly isn't to make users edit the
    RC file.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  8. Re: sorting newsgroups

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _--== Alain ==--_ spoke thusly on 18/09/2006 2:48 PM:
    >> Will it be fixed in the future version ?

    > Only if you bottom-post. :-)
    >
    >> because from my point of view, this is a userfriendly behavior to have
    >> it sorted automatically.

    > It's considered a bug. The intent certainly isn't to make users edit the
    > RC file.

    In spite of gwtc not caring, many of us sorely miss the ability to move
    around newsgroups, so are there any plans or an ETA for a fix?

    --

    Lou
    Please do something good for the world!

  9. Re: sorting newsgroups

    _Lou_ spoke thusly on 19/09/2006 8:13 AM:
    > In spite of gwtc not caring, many of us sorely miss the ability to move
    > around newsgroups, so are there any plans or an ETA for a fix?

    It's completely up in the air.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  10. Re: sorting newsgroups

    Lou wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _--== Alain ==--_ spoke thusly on 18/09/2006 2:48 PM:
    >>> Will it be fixed in the future version ?

    >> Only if you bottom-post. :-)
    >>
    >>> because from my point of view, this is a userfriendly behavior to
    >>> have it sorted automatically.

    >> It's considered a bug. The intent certainly isn't to make users edit
    >> the RC file.

    > In spite of gwtc not caring, many of us sorely miss the ability to move
    > around newsgroups, so are there any plans or an ETA for a fix?

    Well, as Chris notes, the functionality is there through the workaround
    of editing the rc file. It isn't a difficult thing to do, although,
    admittedly, its not the way that should be done.

    It's not user friendly, but its also a low priority on the grand scheme
    of things.

    Lww

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  11. Re: sorting newsgroups

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Lou wrote:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>> _--== Alain ==--_ spoke thusly on 18/09/2006 2:48 PM:
    >>>
    >>> Only if you bottom-post. :-)

    >>> It's considered a bug. The intent certainly isn't to make users edit
    >>> the RC file.

    >> In spite of gwtc not caring, many of us sorely miss the ability to
    >> move around newsgroups, so are there any plans or an ETA for a fix?
    >>

    > Well, as Chris notes, the functionality is there through the workaround
    > of editing the rc file. It isn't a difficult thing to do, although,
    > admittedly, its not the way that should be done.
    >
    > It's not user friendly, but its also a low priority on the grand scheme
    > of things.
    >
    > Lww

    Yeah, just cause users want it does not mean it should have any priority
    .

    --

    Lou
    Please do something good for the world!
    These folks have a system that uses the time your machine would be
    idling showing a screen saver to do Medical and / or Cancer research.
    NO spam or malware. http://www.grid.org/projects/hpf/

  12. Re: sorting newsgroups

    On 20.09.2006 05:55, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Leonidas Jones
    to generate the following:? :

    >Lou wrote:
    >

    >>Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>

    >>>_--== Alain ==--_ spoke thusly on 18/09/2006 2:48 PM:

    >>>Only if you bottom-post. :-)

    >>>It's considered a bug. The intent certainly isn't to make users edit
    >>>the RC file.
    >>>

    >>In spite of gwtc not caring, many of us sorely miss the ability to move
    >>around newsgroups, so are there any plans or an ETA for a fix?
    >>

    >Well, as Chris notes, the functionality is there through the workaround
    >of editing the rc file. It isn't a difficult thing to do, although,
    >admittedly, its not the way that should be done.
    >
    >It's not user friendly, but its also a low priority on the grand scheme
    >of things.
    >
    >Lww

    getting users to *look* at the innards of their apps is generally a good
    idea - learning by doing....

    reg

  13. Re: sorting newsgroups

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 20.09.2006 05:55, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Leonidas Jones
    > to generate the following:? :
    >
    >> Lou wrote:

    >>> In spite of gwtc not caring, many of us sorely miss the ability to
    >>> move around newsgroups, so are there any plans or an ETA for a fix?
    >>>

    >> Well, as Chris notes, the functionality is there through the
    >> workaround of editing the rc file. It isn't a difficult thing to do,
    >> although, admittedly, its not the way that should be done.
    >>
    >> It's not user friendly, but its also a low priority on the grand
    >> scheme of things.
    >>
    >> Lww
    >>

    > getting users to *look* at the innards of their apps is generally a good
    > idea - learning by doing....
    >
    > reg

    True but if they don't know what they are doing, they can screw
    something up big time. ;-)

    Martinsville Va 24112 |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

    If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

    mailtojones@kimbanet.com

  14. Re: sorting newsgroups

    _Lou_ spoke thusly on 20/09/2006 7:28 AM:
    > Yeah, just cause users want it does not mean it should have any priority
    > .

    I think "cause users want it" is too vague. Every [valid] bug that is
    filed has at least one user, who "wants it." :-)
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  15. Re: sorting newsgroups

    _squaredancer_ spoke thusly on 20/09/2006 10:35 AM:
    > getting users to *look* at the innards of their apps is generally a good
    > idea - learning by doing....

    As I said earlier, the *intent* certainly isn't to make users edit the
    RC file.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  16. Re: sorting newsgroups

    On 20.09.2006 20:31, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
    Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :

    >squaredancer wrote:
    >

    >>On 20.09.2006 05:55, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Leonidas Jones
    >>to generate the following:? :

    >>>Well, as Chris notes, the functionality is there through the
    >>>workaround of editing the rc file. It isn't a difficult thing to do,
    >>>although, admittedly, its not the way that should be done.
    >>>
    >>>It's not user friendly, but its also a low priority on the grand
    >>>scheme of things.
    >>>
    >>>Lww
    >>>

    >>getting users to *look* at the innards of their apps is generally a good
    >>idea - learning by doing....
    >>
    >>reg
    >>

    >True but if they don't know what they are doing, they can screw
    >something up big time. ;-)

    you don't "screw things" by looking.... it's those "sticky fingers" that
    do the dirty work *lol*

    reg

+ Reply to Thread