corrupt mbox, incorrect msg count - Mozilla

This is a discussion on corrupt mbox, incorrect msg count - Mozilla ; Hi there, I regularly backed up my IMAP inbox by moving messages to a local mail folder (in TB), never compacted any folders (at least not that I could recall). There should be ~1700 messages in the local mail folder. ...

  1. corrupt mbox, incorrect msg count

    Hi there,

    I regularly backed up my IMAP inbox by moving messages to a local mail
    folder (in TB), never compacted any folders (at least not that I could
    recall).

    There should be ~1700 messages in the local mail folder. At one point,
    when I clicked the folder, the mail count status (shown in TB status
    bar) dropped to ~850 -- just one second before I saw ~1700, while the
    second later I saw ~850.

    I suspect that the mbox file is corrupt.

    -- I've tried everything in section II here:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Disappearing_mail, not helpful, still ~850.

    -- I've used Thunderbird Status Count from here:
    http://apveening.speedlinq.nl/software/, it still shows that the mbox
    file contains ~850 X-Mozilla-Status lines.

    -- I tried to look into the mbox files. There're some headers looking
    like this:

    From - Fri Sep 26 08:41:36 2003
    >From - Thu Sep 25 22:39:58 2003

    Are they one message or two messages? If two, where's the body text of
    the mail downloaded on Sep 26 (the first line)? Completely clueless.

    Any ways to tackle the problems? And, am I hopeless? And, any way to
    prevent future problem of this kind?

    Thanks a lot.

    Kitty

  2. Re: corrupt mbox, incorrect msg count

    Kitty Chiu wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I regularly backed up my IMAP inbox by moving messages to a local mail
    > folder (in TB), never compacted any folders (at least not that I could
    > recall).
    >
    > There should be ~1700 messages in the local mail folder. At one point,
    > when I clicked the folder, the mail count status (shown in TB status
    > bar) dropped to ~850 -- just one second before I saw ~1700, while the
    > second later I saw ~850.
    >
    > I suspect that the mbox file is corrupt.
    >
    > -- I've tried everything in section II here:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Disappearing_mail, not helpful, still ~850.
    >
    > -- I've used Thunderbird Status Count from here:
    > http://apveening.speedlinq.nl/software/, it still shows that the mbox
    > file contains ~850 X-Mozilla-Status lines.
    >
    > -- I tried to look into the mbox files. There're some headers looking
    > like this:
    >
    > From - Fri Sep 26 08:41:36 2003
    >>From - Thu Sep 25 22:39:58 2003

    > Are they one message or two messages? If two, where's the body text of
    > the mail downloaded on Sep 26 (the first line)? Completely clueless.
    >
    > Any ways to tackle the problems? And, am I hopeless? And, any way to
    > prevent future problem of this kind?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Kitty

    no, its not an mbox corruption. mbox only contains the messages.
    There's another file that can become corrupted very quickly. Its the
    *.msf files. Close TB, delete them, and restart.

    --
    The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has
    been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European
    communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility.
    As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that
    English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a
    five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for
    short). In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c".
    Sertainly, sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the
    hard "c" will be replaced with "k." Not only will this klear up
    konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter. There will be
    growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome
    "ph" will be replaced by "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20
    per sent shorter. In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new
    spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated
    changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double
    letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al
    wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is
    disgrasful, and they would go. . . to be continued!

  3. Re: corrupt mbox, incorrect msg count

    gwtc wrote:
    > Kitty Chiu wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I regularly backed up my IMAP inbox by moving messages to a local mail
    >> folder (in TB), never compacted any folders (at least not that I could
    >> recall).
    >>
    >> There should be ~1700 messages in the local mail folder. At one point,
    >> when I clicked the folder, the mail count status (shown in TB status
    >> bar) dropped to ~850 -- just one second before I saw ~1700, while the
    >> second later I saw ~850.
    >>
    >> I suspect that the mbox file is corrupt.
    >>
    >> -- I've tried everything in section II here:
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Disappearing_mail, not helpful, still ~850.
    >>
    >> -- I've used Thunderbird Status Count from here:
    >> http://apveening.speedlinq.nl/software/, it still shows that the mbox
    >> file contains ~850 X-Mozilla-Status lines.
    >>
    >> -- I tried to look into the mbox files. There're some headers looking
    >> like this:
    >>
    >> From - Fri Sep 26 08:41:36 2003
    >> >From - Thu Sep 25 22:39:58 2003

    >> Are they one message or two messages? If two, where's the body text of
    >> the mail downloaded on Sep 26 (the first line)? Completely clueless.
    >>
    >> Any ways to tackle the problems? And, am I hopeless? And, any way to
    >> prevent future problem of this kind?
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot.
    >>
    >> Kitty

    > no, its not an mbox corruption. mbox only contains the messages.
    > There's another file that can become corrupted very quickly. Its the
    > *.msf files. Close TB, delete them, and restart.

    Thanks, I've tried deleting .msf file too. Doesn't seem to help.

  4. Re: corrupt mbox, incorrect msg count

    gwtc wrote:
    > Kitty Chiu wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> no, its not an mbox corruption. mbox only contains the messages.
    >>> There's another file that can become corrupted very quickly. Its the
    >>> *.msf files. Close TB, delete them, and restart.
    >>>

    >> Thanks, I've tried deleting .msf file too. Doesn't seem to help.

    > just checking: did you do it with the program closed? It must be
    > closed before it will work.

    Thanks. Yup, I know that, and did really close TB. I'm hating TB...

  5. Re: corrupt mbox, incorrect msg count

    Kitty Chiu wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Kitty Chiu wrote:
    >>> Hi there,
    >>>
    >>> I regularly backed up my IMAP inbox by moving messages to a local mail
    >>> folder (in TB), never compacted any folders (at least not that I could
    >>> recall).
    >>>
    >>> There should be ~1700 messages in the local mail folder. At one point,
    >>> when I clicked the folder, the mail count status (shown in TB status
    >>> bar) dropped to ~850 -- just one second before I saw ~1700, while the
    >>> second later I saw ~850.
    >>>
    >>> I suspect that the mbox file is corrupt.
    >>>
    >>> -- I've tried everything in section II here:
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Disappearing_mail, not helpful, still ~850.
    >>>
    >>> -- I've used Thunderbird Status Count from here:
    >>> http://apveening.speedlinq.nl/software/, it still shows that the mbox
    >>> file contains ~850 X-Mozilla-Status lines.
    >>>
    >>> -- I tried to look into the mbox files. There're some headers looking
    >>> like this:
    >>>
    >>> From - Fri Sep 26 08:41:36 2003
    >>>
    >>> Are they one message or two messages? If two, where's the body text of
    >>> the mail downloaded on Sep 26 (the first line)? Completely clueless.
    >>>
    >>> Any ways to tackle the problems? And, am I hopeless? And, any way to
    >>> prevent future problem of this kind?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks a lot.
    >>>
    >>> Kitty

    >> no, its not an mbox corruption. mbox only contains the messages.
    >> There's another file that can become corrupted very quickly. Its the
    >> *.msf files. Close TB, delete them, and restart.
    >>

    > Thanks, I've tried deleting .msf file too. Doesn't seem to help.

    just checking: did you do it with the program closed? It must be
    closed before it will work.

    --
    The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has
    been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European
    communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility.
    As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that
    English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a
    five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for
    short). In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c".
    Sertainly, sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the
    hard "c" will be replaced with "k." Not only will this klear up
    konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter. There will be
    growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome
    "ph" will be replaced by "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20
    per sent shorter. In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new
    spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated
    changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double
    letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al
    wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is
    disgrasful, and they would go. . . to be continued!

  6. Re: corrupt mbox, incorrect msg count

    Kitty Chiu wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Kitty Chiu wrote:

    >>> Thanks, I've tried deleting .msf file too. Doesn't seem to help.

    >> just checking: did you do it with the program closed? It must be
    >> closed before it will work.
    >>

    > Thanks. Yup, I know that, and did really close TB. I'm hating TB...

    see this link :
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting...t_seem_to_work
    Follow the 2nd method.

  7. Re: corrupt mbox, incorrect msg count

    Nir wrote:
    > Kitty Chiu wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> just checking: did you do it with the program closed? It must be
    >>> closed before it will work.
    >>>

    >> Thanks. Yup, I know that, and did really close TB. I'm hating TB...

    > see this link :
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting...t_seem_to_work
    >
    > Follow the 2nd method.

    thanks, it doesn't help again... i'm getting frustrated.

  8. Re: corrupt mbox, incorrect msg count

    Kitty Chiu wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I regularly backed up my IMAP inbox by moving messages to a local mail
    > folder (in TB), never compacted any folders (at least not that I could
    > recall).
    >
    > There should be ~1700 messages in the local mail folder. At one point,
    > when I clicked the folder, the mail count status (shown in TB status
    > bar) dropped to ~850 -- just one second before I saw ~1700, while the
    > second later I saw ~850.
    >
    > I suspect that the mbox file is corrupt.
    >
    > -- I've tried everything in section II here:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Disappearing_mail, not helpful, still ~850.
    >
    > -- I've used Thunderbird Status Count from here:
    > http://apveening.speedlinq.nl/software/, it still shows that the mbox
    > file contains ~850 X-Mozilla-Status lines.
    >
    > -- I tried to look into the mbox files. There're some headers looking
    > like this:
    >
    > From - Fri Sep 26 08:41:36 2003
    > >From - Thu Sep 25 22:39:58 2003

    > Are they one message or two messages? If two, where's the body text of
    > the mail downloaded on Sep 26 (the first line)? Completely clueless.

    According to my knowledge there is no such ' X-Mozilla-Status:
    0003' [ see this link for more info :
    http://www.eyrich-net.org/mozilla/X-...Status.html?en ]
    > Any ways to tackle the problems? And, am I hopeless?

    Seems to me that 'inbox' file has become corrupted.
    have you tried to solve it by using 'MboxImport' extension (2nd
    method as stated in
    'http://kb.mozillazine.org/Inbox_stays_blank#Workaround'). if not
    please try that method.
    And, any way to
    > prevent future problem of this kind?

    use to compact folder ( File > Compact Folders ) on regular basis.
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Kitty

  9. Re: corrupt mbox, incorrect msg count

    Nir wrote:
    > Kitty Chiu wrote:
    >> -- I tried to look into the mbox files. There're some headers looking
    >> like this:
    >>
    >> From - Fri Sep 26 08:41:36 2003
    >> >From - Thu Sep 25 22:39:58 2003

    > According to my knowledge there is no such ' X-Mozilla-Status: 0003' [
    > see this link for more info :
    > http://www.eyrich-net.org/mozilla/X-...Status.html?en ]

    Just a quick clarification. The values shown in that page are in
    hexadecimal, and they're called 'flags' because all of them
    correspond to binary numbers that have only one bit set to '1'
    ('flagged'). Take the first two:

    0001 hex = 0000000000000001 bin
    0002 hex = 0000000000000010 bin

    So, if you have

    0003 hex = 0000000000000011 bin

    It means that both the 0001 and the 0002 flags are set. In other
    words, the message has been both read and replied to. In fact, you
    can have many combinations of many flags. If you want to play a
    bit with hex / bin numbers, use the Windows calculator, set to
    View | Scientific.

  10. Re: corrupt mbox, incorrect msg count

    Telmo Amaral wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> Kitty Chiu wrote:
    >>> -- I tried to look into the mbox files. There're some headers
    >>> looking like this:
    >>>
    >>> From - Fri Sep 26 08:41:36 2003

    >> According to my knowledge there is no such ' X-Mozilla-Status: 0003'
    >> [ see this link for more info :
    >> http://www.eyrich-net.org/mozilla/X-...Status.html?en ]

    > Just a quick clarification. The values shown in that page are in
    > hexadecimal, and they're called 'flags' because all of them correspond
    > to binary numbers that have only one bit set to '1' ('flagged'). Take
    > the first two:
    >
    > 0001 hex = 0000000000000001 bin
    > 0002 hex = 0000000000000010 bin
    >
    > So, if you have
    >
    > 0003 hex = 0000000000000011 bin
    >
    > It means that both the 0001 and the 0002 flags are set. In other words,
    > the message has been both read and replied to. In fact, you can have
    > many combinations of many flags. If you want to play a bit with hex /
    > bin numbers, use the Windows calculator, set to View | Scientific.

    thanks Telmo, I missed that part.

+ Reply to Thread