Best email provider that works well with thunderbird? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Best email provider that works well with thunderbird? - Mozilla ; Paul_B wrote: > On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:59:03 -0400, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote: > >> Paul_B wrote: >>> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 07:28:03 -0400, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote: >>> >>>> Heck my JMC never caught LESS than 65% ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: Best email provider that works well with thunderbird?

    Paul_B wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:59:03 -0400, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> Paul_B wrote:

    >>> My JMC was doing pretty well also. problem was i didn't like the
    >>> way it treated mail - that is, leaving it marked Unread. it was
    >>> too distracting to me to see it come in. i need it to be silent;
    >>> i'll go there once or twice a day to check when the time is
    >>> right.
    >>>
    >>> so now i'm externally collecting and counting RBL warnings and
    >>> then using T-B to filter on them and send the mail, marked Read,
    >>> to the Junk folder. occasionally the filters fail, and then JMC
    >>> provides a decent safety net. in all, it's a pretty good system.
    >>>
    >>> IMO, JMC should offer the option of marking mail Read on the
    >>> in-come. Also, emptying the Junk folder along with the Trash
    >>> folder would be a nice refinement.
    >>>
    >>> p.
    >>>

    >> Um, modern versions of Mozilla DONT notify you when they get spam. Even
    >> the news mail alert is silenced if all there was is spam.
    >>
    >> JMC is silent, what noise does yours make?

    > No noise from TB itself. the Junk folder boldens in the interface
    > when it has Unread mail.

    Put the Junk folder within another account, even the Local Folders will
    do, and you wont see it boldened

    >> Put your Junk folder in an account you dont open. Then you wont even SEE
    >> the number of spams you get at all! You can have junk from any account
    >> end up there - and if you leave the account closed you wont ever see any
    >> indication at all.

    > Good idea, except I show only one account because vertical space
    > in the folder list is at a premium here.

    So create another account or use the Local Folders, its going to add one
    line to you folder list (as long as you dont open it).

    >> You can tell JMC to put messages in the trash after x days. You can have
    >> Thunderbird empty the trash on exit. There ya go, Automatic trashing!

    > another good idea, except i like to do it manually.

    Well, golly gee, you ASKED for a method to trash em automatically, and
    when I tell you how to do it, you say no thanks I want to do it manually!

    Durn! If that isnt the height of rudeness. What the heck did you ask
    this for?
    Also, emptying the Junk folder along with the Trash folder would be a
    nice refinement.

    I gave you a means to do it, but its no good because you'd rather do it
    manually?

    I dont wish to waste my time with people who dont know WHAT they want
    Later Gator

  2. Re: Best email provider that works well with thunderbird?

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:

    >>> It doesn't do nearly that well here. Catches maybe 50% of spam, and
    >>> maybe 1% false positives. Maybe my spam is less consistent than yours.
    >>> No matter HOW many times I tell it that Washington Mutual account
    >>> notifications are spam (I don't use that bank), it insists on
    >>> allowing them the get to my inbox....

    >> Heck my JMC never caught LESS than 65% of my spam, from day one.
    >>
    >> In fact when I go this computer, I did a test of sorts. I monitored
    >> how long it took to catch 75% and how long it took to hit 90%.
    >>
    >> I hit 75 after less than a week, and 90 after two weeks and it just
    >> kept getting better.
    >>
    >> Am now at 99.2% with NO false postives in the last 4 months.
    >>
    >> All I did was.
    >> exempted those in my address book from checking. Took the precaution
    >> of putting all my newsletters senders in the Address book. (simple
    >> click does it)
    >>

    > Done that.
    >

    >> If a messsage was spam, and JMC didnt catch it, I pressed JUNK
    >> If a message WASNT spam, and JMC had caught it, I pressed NOT-JUNK
    >>

    > Continue to do that.
    >
    >> Thats it pure and simple. No other filters, no attempts to 'improve'
    >> the ratios, just the basic.
    >>

    > I also prefilter with Poptray, so the junk filter doesn't see some things.
    >

    >> For every spam I see in my inbox, there are 99 or a 100 in the Junk
    >> folder.
    >>
    >> I dont 'see' any 'problem' spams -JMC learns and after a couple of
    >> days, that specific spam (and others of it nature) are always caught.
    >>
    >> JMC even picks up the phishing attacks (which is probably what those
    >> Washington Mutuals you get are) on MY bank, as well as the other banks
    >> I dont use. It doesnt pick up the ones actually from my bank tho.
    >>
    >> How big is your training.dat file?

    > Unfortunately, I still get them even after clicking junk several times.
    > Then there are the annoying emails touting this or that stock, which
    > arrive with no consistent address, or subject.
    > Training.dat is 642k.

    Well, all I can tell you is that here I have no problems.
    JMC catches as I said over 99% of the spam sent my way, inclusive of
    those stock ones, with no fixed subject and no fixed addresss.

    How much is Poptray catching? That will change your catch ratio in JMC.
    For example. 200 spam come in. Your poptray catches 170. JMC catches 38,
    and you see 3. 3 out of 38 is not a good ratio

    But if you allowed JMC to see them all, its catch ratio might be 197 out
    of those 200. 3 out of 200 is a MUCH better catch ratio. over 98% in fact

    So for you to calculate a catch ratio you have to include those messages
    caught by poptray as well. While that might not be entirely accurate
    (will JMC catch everything that poptray does? I dont know) its about the
    only adjustment that can be made.

    Use of another filtering mechnanism in additon to JMC can make your
    catch ratio appear to be much lower than it acutally is. Additionally,
    every spam caught by the other mechnasim and unseen by JMC reduces the
    training available to JMC further eroding the capabiliy. The ones
    caught by poptray that JMC doesnt see might include such as to further
    train JMC.

  3. Re: Best email provider that works well with thunderbird?

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 04:33:38 -0400, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >>> Put your Junk folder in an account you dont open. Then you wont even SEE
    >>> the number of spams you get at all! You can have junk from any account
    >>> end up there - and if you leave the account closed you wont ever see any
    >>> indication at all.

    >> Good idea, except I show only one account because vertical space
    >> in the folder list is at a premium here.

    > So create another account or use the Local Folders, its going to add one
    > line to you folder list (as long as you dont open it).

    But then i'd have to go diving for it.

    >>> You can tell JMC to put messages in the trash after x days. You can have
    >>> Thunderbird empty the trash on exit. There ya go, Automatic trashing!

    >> another good idea, except i like to do it manually.

    > Well, golly gee, you ASKED for a method to trash em automatically, and
    > when I tell you how to do it, you say no thanks I want to do it manually!
    >
    > Durn! If that isnt the height of rudeness. What the heck did you ask
    > this for?
    > Also, emptying the Junk folder along with the Trash folder would be a
    > nice refinement.
    >
    > I gave you a means to do it, but its no good because you'd rather do it
    > manually?
    >
    > I dont wish to waste my time with people who dont know WHAT they want
    > Later Gator

    i never used the word 'automatic', though even if i did that word
    can mean different things. what i said was

    emptying the Junk folder along with the Trash
    folder would be a nice refinement.

    nothing in that assumes that i want TB to do the emptying for me.
    it's only that i'd like both things to be done in one operation.
    i fail to see even a trace of rudeness in my posts here.

    p.

    --
    Mail: Thunderbird 1.5.0.5
    News: Dialog 2.0.15.1 (beta 38)

  4. Re: Best email provider that works well with thunderbird?

    Paul_B wrote:

    >>> Good idea, except I show only one account because vertical space
    >>> in the folder list is at a premium here.

    >> So create another account or use the Local Folders, its going to add one
    >> line to you folder list (as long as you dont open it).

    > But then i'd have to go diving for it.

    You said you didnt want to see it! Sheesh make up your mind! Just what
    the heck DO you wnat?

    You say you dont WANT to see it, so I tell you how, and then you say you
    cant see it!

    You said you wanted an automatic trash function, and when I tell you how
    to do it, you say you want to do it manually!

    Stuff it

    >>> another good idea, except i like to do it manually.

    >> Well, golly gee, you ASKED for a method to trash em automatically, and
    >> when I tell you how to do it, you say no thanks I want to do it manually!
    >>
    >> Durn! If that isnt the height of rudeness. What the heck did you ask
    >> this for?
    >> Also, emptying the Junk folder along with the Trash folder would be a
    >> nice refinement.
    >>
    >> I gave you a means to do it, but its no good because you'd rather do it
    >> manually?
    >>
    >> I dont wish to waste my time with people who dont know WHAT they want
    >> Later Gator

    > i never used the word 'automatic', though even if i did that word
    > can mean different things. what i said was
    >
    > emptying the Junk folder along with the Trash
    > folder would be a nice refinement.
    >
    > nothing in that assumes that i want TB to do the emptying for me.
    > it's only that i'd like both things to be done in one operation.
    > i fail to see even a trace of rudeness in my posts here.
    >
    > p.

  5. Re: Best email provider that works well with thunderbird?

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:39:57 -0400, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > Paul_B wrote:

    >>> So create another account or use the Local Folders, its going to add one
    >>> line to you folder list (as long as you dont open it).

    >> But then i'd have to go diving for it.

    > You said you didnt want to see it! Sheesh make up your mind! Just what
    > the heck DO you wnat?
    >
    > You say you dont WANT to see it, so I tell you how, and then you say you
    > cant see it!

    I want not to see the *bolded* folder, which i find distracting.
    The mere presence of the folder is not a problem.

    > You said you wanted an automatic trash function, and when I tell you how
    > to do it, you say you want to do it manually!

    No, for the second time, i did not ask for an automatic trash
    function. perhaps you need to reread either or both of my posts
    to that effect.

    > Stuff it

    It seems to me you are drawing unwarranted conclusions from my
    posts. though i try to be reasonably clear about what i'm trying
    to say, i'm not perfect at that, so if conversing with me proves
    to be too stressful, please understand that i hold you to no
    obligation to do so. then again, perhaps you would do well to
    consider your own behavior in this thread.

    p.

    --
    Mail: Thunderbird 1.5.0.5
    News: Dialog 2.0.15.1 (beta 38)

  6. Re: Best email provider that works well with thunderbird?

    Paul_B wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:39:57 -0400, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> Paul_B wrote:

    >>> But then i'd have to go diving for it.

    >> You said you didnt want to see it! Sheesh make up your mind! Just what
    >> the heck DO you wnat?
    >>
    >> You say you dont WANT to see it, so I tell you how, and then you say you
    >> cant see it!

    > I want not to see the *bolded* folder, which i find distracting.
    > The mere presence of the folder is not a problem.

    I told you how to do that. You are simply making a fool out of yourself
    again.

    >> You said you wanted an automatic trash function, and when I tell you how
    >> to do it, you say you want to do it manually!

    > No, for the second time, i did not ask for an automatic trash
    > function. perhaps you need to reread either or both of my posts
    > to that effect.

    You didnt ASK for it???!!! What the heck is this!

    QUOTE

    > Also, emptying the Junk folder along with the Trash
    > folder would be a nice refinement.

    UNQUOTE

    And I gave you a method to do EXACTLY that, and you claim you didnt ask
    for it?

    >> Stuff it

    > It seems to me you are drawing unwarranted conclusions from my
    > posts. though i try to be reasonably clear about what i'm trying
    > to say, i'm not perfect at that, so if conversing with me proves
    > to be too stressful, please understand that i hold you to no
    > obligation to do so. then again, perhaps you would do well to
    > consider your own behavior in this thread.
    >
    > p.

    >>> i never used the word 'automatic', though even if i did that word
    >>> can mean different things. what i said was
    >>>
    >>> emptying the Junk folder along with the Trash
    >>> folder would be a nice refinement.
    >>>
    >>> nothing in that assumes that i want TB to do the emptying for me.
    >>> it's only that i'd like both things to be done in one operation.
    >>> i fail to see even a trace of rudeness in my posts here.
    >>>
    >>> p.

  7. Re: Best email provider that works well with thunderbird?

    End of convo. thanks for your time.

    --
    Mail: Thunderbird 1.5.0.5
    News: Dialog 2.0.15.1 (beta 38)

  8. Re: Best email provider that works well with thunderbird?

    Paul_B wrote:
    > I want not to see the *bolded* folder, which i find distracting.
    > The mere presence of the folder is not a problem.

    put the following code into your userChrome.css file:

    treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(hasUnreadMessages-false)
    {
    font-weight: normal !important;
    }

    Thanks goes to Nir for this

    --
    continued . . . At that point, the guy is so mad that he throws the
    bird into the freezer. For the first few seconds there is a terrible

  9. Re: Best email provider that works well with thunderbird?

    gwtc wrote:
    > Paul_B wrote:
    >> I want not to see the *bolded* folder, which i find distracting. The
    >> mere presence of the folder is not a problem.

    > put the following code into your userChrome.css file:
    >
    > treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(hasUnreadMessages-false)
    > {
    > font-weight: normal !important;
    > }
    >
    > Thanks goes to Nir for this

    Thanks to both you and Herb for ......

  10. Re: Best email provider that works well with thunderbird?

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:34:52 -0700, gwtc wrote:

    > Paul_B wrote:
    >> I want not to see the *bolded* folder, which i find distracting.
    >> The mere presence of the folder is not a problem.

    > put the following code into your userChrome.css file:
    >
    > treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(hasUnreadMessages-false)
    > {
    > font-weight: normal !important;
    > }
    >
    > Thanks goes to Nir for this

    Thanks. This is no longer an issue since i deal with most spam
    via RBL filtering, but I'll hold onto it. I also assume this
    would apply to all folders; if so that would be a net negative
    here.

    p.
    --
    Mail: Thunderbird 1.5.0.5