Sorting news - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Sorting news - Mozilla ; Any way of keeping the sort preferences after Thunderbird is closed? I'm looking to sort news messages by subject, have them threaded with the threads collapsed. I can get it that way, it just won't stay that way. TIA, -- ...

  1. Sorting news

    --
    Jordon

  2. Re: Sorting news

    Jordon wrote:
    > Any way of keeping the sort preferences after Thunderbird
    > is closed?
    >
    > I'm looking to sort news messages by subject, have them
    > threaded with the threads collapsed.
    >
    > I can get it that way, it just won't stay that way.
    >
    > TIA,

    To sort messages according to 'Subject' :
    View>Sort By > Subject

    To keep threads collapsed :
    View>Sort By>Threaded

    restart Thunderbird and check

  3. Re: Sorting news

    Nir wrote:
    > Jordon wrote:
    >> Any way of keeping the sort preferences after Thunderbird
    >> is closed?
    >>
    >> I'm looking to sort news messages by subject, have them
    >> threaded with the threads collapsed.
    >>
    >> I can get it that way, it just won't stay that way.
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>

    > To sort messages according to 'Subject' :
    > View>Sort By > Subject
    >
    > To keep threads collapsed :
    > View>Sort By>Threaded

    ...and also View>Threads>Collapse All threads.

    > restart Thunderbird and check

  4. Re: Sorting news

    "Nir" wrote
    > > To sort messages according to 'Subject' :
    > > View>Sort By > Subject
    > >
    > > To keep threads collapsed :
    > > View>Sort By>Threaded

    > ..and also View>Threads>Collapse All threads.
    > >
    > > restart Thunderbird and check

    Thanks for that.

    No such luck. Close Thunderbird, reopen it and it
    goes back to being sorted by date. When I select
    sort options, "Subject" has the bullet next to it but
    it's sorted by date. If I click on the subject header,
    messages become unthreaded.

    I always have to go through the same process to
    get it threaded, collapsed and sorted by subject
    each time I click on a news group.

    --
    Jordon

  5. Re: Sorting news

    Jordon wrote:
    > "Nir" wrote
    >>> To sort messages according to 'Subject' :
    >>> View>Sort By > Subject
    >>>
    >>> To keep threads collapsed :
    >>> View>Sort By>Threaded

    >> ..and also View>Threads>Collapse All threads.
    >>> restart Thunderbird and check

    > Thanks for that.
    >
    > No such luck. Close Thunderbird, reopen it and it
    > goes back to being sorted by date. When I select
    > sort options, "Subject" has the bullet next to it but
    > it's sorted by date. If I click on the subject header,
    > messages become unthreaded.
    >
    > I always have to go through the same process to
    > get it threaded, collapsed and sorted by subject
    > each time I click on a news group.
    >
    > --
    > Jordon

    Completely close Thunderbird.
    Goto your profile folder
    (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Thunderbird)
    rename 'localstore.rdf' file to 'localstore.rdf.backup'
    start Thunderbird. Sort it accoding to 'Subject' and also set it
    'threaded' .
    restart and check.

  6. Re: Sorting news

    Jordon wrote:
    > "Nir" wrote
    >>> To sort messages according to 'Subject' :
    >>> View>Sort By > Subject
    >>>
    >>> To keep threads collapsed :
    >>> View>Sort By>Threaded

    >> ..and also View>Threads>Collapse All threads.
    >>> restart Thunderbird and check

    > Thanks for that.
    >
    > No such luck. Close Thunderbird, reopen it and it
    > goes back to being sorted by date. When I select
    > sort options, "Subject" has the bullet next to it but
    > it's sorted by date. If I click on the subject header,
    > messages become unthreaded.
    >
    > I always have to go through the same process to
    > get it threaded, collapsed and sorted by subject
    > each time I click on a news group.

    Try this...
    * Close Thunderbird
    * Search for the ".msf" file for the newsgroup & delete it
    e.g. alt.folklore.urban.msf
    (this will be in \News\NewsServer)
    * Start Thuderbird
    * Open the newsgroup in question
    (this will download the headers)
    * Sort as desired
    * Close Thunderbird
    * Restart Thunderbird

    A nice side effect of this is that it will clean up the
    headers of "expired articles" and will shrink the .msf file.

  7. Re: Sorting news

    "BillB" wrote
    > Try this...
    > * Close Thunderbird
    > * Search for the ".msf" file for the newsgroup & delete it
    > e.g. alt.folklore.urban.msf
    > (this will be in \News\NewsServer)
    > * Start Thuderbird
    > * Open the newsgroup in question
    > (this will download the headers)
    > * Sort as desired
    > * Close Thunderbird
    > * Restart Thunderbird

    Thanks for that but I used another suggestion of changing
    a setting using the Config Editor. It still doesn't sort right
    but at least it stays threaded when I click on the Subject
    column header and hit \.

    I think it was mailnews.thread_pane_column_unthreads
    set to false.

    Jordon

+ Reply to Thread