Filters - forwarding messages to an address book "list" - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Filters - forwarding messages to an address book "list" - Mozilla ; Is there a way to set up a filter to forward an email to an address book list? It appears that you can only specify a single email address with "Forward to". Thanks. -- Pete Holsberg Columbus, NJ To be ...

  1. Filters - forwarding messages to an address book "list"

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    To be able under all circumstances to practice five things constitutes
    perfect virtue; these five things are gravity, generosity of soul,
    sincerity, earnestness and kindness....
    --Confucius

  2. Re: Filters - forwarding messages to an address book "list"

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Is there a way to set up a filter to forward an email to an address book
    > list?
    >
    > It appears that you can only specify a single email address with
    > "Forward to".
    >
    > Thanks.

    A probable method :
    1.Goto Tools>Manage Filters.
    2.click on 'new' , put 'conditions' .and under
    'perform these actions' , select 'Forward message to'.
    3.open Address Book.
    4. select all entries of *that* particular
    address book , drag those entries and drop them in
    the text box ( next to 'Forward message to' )

  3. Re: Filters - forwarding messages to an address book "list"

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Is there a way to set up a filter to forward an email to an address book
    > list?

    I don't think so. I can't drag-and-drop single-address entries
    from the address book into the Filter Rules dialog, let alone a
    list entry. Manually typing in the name of a list simply brings up
    the error 'Enter a valid e-mail address to forward to'.

    > It appears that you can only specify a single email address with
    > "Forward to". ....

    Actually, you may manually type in several addresses separated by
    commas, like this:
    a@b.c, d@e.f

    Alternatively, you may use the '+' button to have several 'Forward
    Message to' actions, each with its own address. However, I think
    this will result in the sending of one message per action.

  4. Re: Filters - forwarding messages to an address book "list"

    Nir wrote:

    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >> Is there a way to set up a filter to forward an email to an address
    >> book list?
    >>
    >> It appears that you can only specify a single email address with
    >> "Forward to".
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > A probable method :
    > 1. Goto Tools>Manage Filters.
    > 2. click on 'new' , put 'conditions' .and under 'perform these actions' ,
    > select 'Forward message to'.
    > 3. open Address Book.
    > 4. select all entries of *that* particular address book , drag those
    > entries and drop them in the text box ( next to 'Forward message to' )

    Wasn't able to select them in the "address pane".

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    Maxim for the Internet Age: You can't teach an old mouse new
    clicks...

  5. Re: Filters - forwarding messages to an address book "list"

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >
    >> Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to set up a filter to forward an email to an address
    >>> book list?
    >>>
    >>> It appears that you can only specify a single email address with
    >>> "Forward to".
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> A probable method :
    >> 1. Goto Tools>Manage Filters.
    >> 2. click on 'new' , put 'conditions' .and under 'perform these
    >> actions' , select 'Forward message to'.
    >> 3. open Address Book.
    >> 4. select all entries of *that* particular address book , drag those
    >> entries and drop them in the text box ( next to 'Forward message to' )

    > Wasn't able to select them in the "address pane".

    first , in the address book list ( left side ) .
    select your address book.
    Now goto Edit and select 'select all'

  6. Re: Filters - forwarding messages to an address book "list"

    Nir wrote:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:

    >>> A probable method :
    >>> 1. Goto Tools>Manage Filters.
    >>> 2. click on 'new' , put 'conditions' .and under 'perform these
    >>> actions' , select 'Forward message to'.
    >>> 3. open Address Book.
    >>> 4. select all entries of *that* particular address book , drag those
    >>> entries and drop them in the text box ( next to 'Forward message to' )

    >> Wasn't able to select them in the "address pane".
    >>

    > first , in the address book list ( left side ) . select your address book.
    > Now goto Edit and select 'select all'

    Sorry Pete, i was wrong. This feature is present
    only in trunk version ,not in Thunderbird-1.5.*

    Just test this :
    Open Compose window.
    Click on the address book icon on toolbar, select
    proper address book .
    Select all address and click on 'add to To'
    Save this mail as 'draft' ( File > save as > draft
    ). *close* compose window.
    Goto your 'Draft' folder. select that message ,
    press 'ctrl+u' or goto View>Message Source.
    Select all recipient addresses ( excluding 'To:'
    ).Copy them.

    now goto Tools>Message Filters. click on 'New'.
    Put proper 'conditions'.
    Under perform this action, select 'Forward message
    to'. and in the textbox , paste all address.

  7. Re: Filters - forwarding messages to an address book "list"

    Nir wrote:

    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:

    >>> A probable method :
    >>> 1. Goto Tools>Manage Filters.
    >>> 2. click on 'new' , put 'conditions' .and under 'perform these
    >>> actions' , select 'Forward message to'.
    >>> 3. open Address Book.
    >>> 4. select all entries of *that* particular address book , drag those
    >>> entries and drop them in the text box ( next to 'Forward message to' )

    >> Wasn't able to select them in the "address pane".

    > first , in the address book list ( left side ) . select your address book.
    > Now goto Edit and select 'select all'

    OK, did that. But as soon as I drag off that pane, I get a circle
    with a slanted line through it. I guess that means "operation not
    permitted".

    Also, Copy/Cut/Paste under Edit are grayed-out.

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    "If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot
    save the few who are rich..."
    -- John F. Kennedy

  8. Re: Filters - forwarding messages to an address book "list"

    Nir wrote:

    > Nir wrote:
    >> Pete Holsberg wrote:

    >>> Wasn't able to select them in the "address pane".
    >>>

    >> first , in the address book list ( left side ) . select your address
    >> book.
    >> Now goto Edit and select 'select all'

    > Sorry Pete, i was wrong. This feature is present only in trunk version
    > ,not in Thunderbird-1.5.*
    >
    > Just test this :
    > Open Compose window.
    > Click on the address book icon on toolbar, select proper address book .
    > Select all address and click on 'add to To'
    > Save this mail as 'draft' ( File > save as > draft ). *close* compose
    > window.
    > Goto your 'Draft' folder. select that message , press 'ctrl+u' or goto
    > View>Message Source.
    > Select all recipient addresses ( excluding 'To:' ).Copy them.
    >
    > now goto Tools>Message Filters. click on 'New'.
    > Put proper 'conditions'.
    > Under perform this action, select 'Forward message to'. and in the
    > textbox , paste all address.

    Whew! OK, thanks.

    Trunk version????

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

  9. Re: Filters - forwarding messages to an address book "list"

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >
    >> Nir wrote:

    >>> first , in the address book list ( left side ) . select your address
    >>> book.
    >>> Now goto Edit and select 'select all'

    >> Sorry Pete, i was wrong. This feature is present only in trunk version
    >> ,not in Thunderbird-1.5.*
    >>
    >> Just test this :
    >> Open Compose window.
    >> Click on the address book icon on toolbar, select proper address book .
    >> Select all address and click on 'add to To'
    >> Save this mail as 'draft' ( File > save as > draft ). *close* compose
    >> window.
    >> Goto your 'Draft' folder. select that message , press 'ctrl+u' or goto
    >> View>Message Source.
    >> Select all recipient addresses ( excluding 'To:' ).Copy them.
    >>
    >> now goto Tools>Message Filters. click on 'New'.
    >> Put proper 'conditions'.
    >> Under perform this action, select 'Forward message to'. and in the
    >> textbox , paste all address.

    > Whew! OK, thanks.

    is your problem solved now?

    > Trunk version????

    Thunderbird 3a1 (nightly build)

  10. Re: Filters - forwarding messages to an address book "list"

    Nir wrote:

    > is your problem solved now?

    Actually, no. I was successful in setting up a filter to forward
    a message to about 100 recipients -- and then my ISP (Verizon)
    decided I was a spammer and shut me down for 24 hours!!

    So I had to disable the filter. Drat!!

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    To be able under all circumstances to practice five things
    constitutes perfect virtue; these five things are gravity,
    generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness....
    --Confucius

+ Reply to Thread