Corrupted Sent-box - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Corrupted Sent-box - Mozilla ; hi there, I have a corrupted(?) sent-box whose size is roughly 40MB. No message can be shown on Thunderbird. I deleted sent.msf and let Thunderbird re-create its message summary, but it shows only three messages. I used Opera to retrieve ...

  1. Corrupted Sent-box

    hi there,

    I have a corrupted(?) sent-box whose size is roughly 40MB. No message
    can be shown on Thunderbird. I deleted sent.msf and let Thunderbird
    re-create its message summary, but it shows only three messages.
    I used Opera to retrieve it (by the import function of Opera), then
    Opera showed 970 messages all in tact. However, when I export it from
    Opera to Thunderbird, there are again only three messages being shown.
    Another try.. I used an add-ons "MboxImport", but it resulted in the
    same result.
    I devided the messages in Sent-box to several folders in Opera and
    import back to Thunderbird, but it didn't help either.

    Is there any other ways to repair my corrupted Sent-box?

    Thanks in advance,
    yo

  2. Re: Corrupted Sent-box

    yo wrote in
    newsbidnTFZe7EgfG3ZnZ2dnUVZ_sednZ2d@mozilla.org:

    > hi there,
    >
    > I have a corrupted(?) sent-box whose size is roughly 40MB. No
    > message can be shown on Thunderbird. I deleted sent.msf and
    > let Thunderbird re-create its message summary, but it shows
    > only three messages. I used Opera to retrieve it (by the
    > import function of Opera), then Opera showed 970 messages all
    > in tact. However, when I export it from Opera to Thunderbird,
    > there are again only three messages being shown. Another try..
    > I used an add-ons "MboxImport", but it resulted in the same
    > result. I devided the messages in Sent-box to several folders
    > in Opera and import back to Thunderbird, but it didn't help
    > either.
    >
    > Is there any other ways to repair my corrupted Sent-box?

    Open it in Notepad and delete any obvious garbage. Messages will
    all be very coherent text files.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

    Take the skin and peel it back... now doesn't it make you feel
    better?

  3. Re: Corrupted Sent-box

    yo wrote:
    > hi there,
    >
    > I have a corrupted(?) sent-box whose size is roughly 40MB. No message
    > can be shown on Thunderbird. I deleted sent.msf and let Thunderbird
    > re-create its message summary, but it shows only three messages.
    > I used Opera to retrieve it (by the import function of Opera), then
    > Opera showed 970 messages all in tact. However, when I export it from
    > Opera to Thunderbird, there are again only three messages being shown.
    > Another try.. I used an add-ons "MboxImport", but it resulted in the
    > same result.
    > I devided the messages in Sent-box to several folders in Opera and
    > import back to Thunderbird, but it didn't help either.
    >
    > Is there any other ways to repair my corrupted Sent-box?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > yo

    check whether 'View' is set to 'All' for that
    'sent' folder or not.

  4. Re: Corrupted Sent-box

    Christopher Jahn wrote:
    > yo wrote in
    > newsbidnTFZe7EgfG3ZnZ2dnUVZ_sednZ2d@mozilla.org:
    >
    >> hi there,
    >>
    >> I have a corrupted(?) sent-box whose size is roughly 40MB. No
    >> message can be shown on Thunderbird. I deleted sent.msf and
    >> let Thunderbird re-create its message summary, but it shows
    >> only three messages. I used Opera to retrieve it (by the
    >> import function of Opera), then Opera showed 970 messages all
    >> in tact. However, when I export it from Opera to Thunderbird,
    >> there are again only three messages being shown. Another try..
    >> I used an add-ons "MboxImport", but it resulted in the same
    >> result. I devided the messages in Sent-box to several folders
    >> in Opera and import back to Thunderbird, but it didn't help
    >> either.
    >>
    >> Is there any other ways to repair my corrupted Sent-box?
    >>

    > Open it in Notepad and delete any obvious garbage. Messages will
    > all be very coherent text files.

    Thanks for the response. I extracted a couple of messages from the file
    opened with notepad and pasted it to a new notepad. But even these two
    messages are not visible under Thunderbird.

    So, what I did. I copied the corrupted send-file to Netscape, imported
    to Eudora, then to Outlook Express, and finally to Thunderbird.

    I wonder the corrupted(?) file contained deleted messages. That's why
    only undeleted messages are shown. Since Opera ignored any flag of
    deletion, opera could show all messages? I think such a flag is stored
    in ".msf" file, but maybe I'm wrong.

    thanks anyway.
    yo

  5. Re: Corrupted Sent-box

    yo wrote in

    > Christopher Jahn wrote:
    >> yo wrote in
    >> newsbidnTFZe7EgfG3ZnZ2dnUVZ_sednZ2d@mozilla.org:
    >>
    >>> hi there,
    >>>
    >>> I have a corrupted(?) sent-box whose size is roughly 40MB.
    >>> No message can be shown on Thunderbird. I deleted sent.msf
    >>> and let Thunderbird re-create its message summary, but it
    >>> shows only three messages. I used Opera to retrieve it (by
    >>> the import function of Opera), then Opera showed 970
    >>> messages all in tact. However, when I export it from Opera
    >>> to Thunderbird, there are again only three messages being
    >>> shown. Another try.. I used an add-ons "MboxImport", but it
    >>> resulted in the same result. I devided the messages in
    >>> Sent-box to several folders in Opera and import back to
    >>> Thunderbird, but it didn't help either.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any other ways to repair my corrupted Sent-box?
    >>>

    >> Open it in Notepad and delete any obvious garbage. Messages
    >> will all be very coherent text files.
    >>

    > Thanks for the response. I extracted a couple of messages from
    > the file opened with notepad and pasted it to a new notepad.
    > But even these two messages are not visible under Thunderbird.
    >
    > So, what I did. I copied the corrupted send-file to Netscape,
    > imported to Eudora, then to Outlook Express, and finally to
    > Thunderbird.
    >
    > I wonder the corrupted(?) file contained deleted messages.
    > That's why only undeleted messages are shown. Since Opera
    > ignored any flag of deletion, opera could show all messages? I
    > think such a flag is stored in ".msf" file, but maybe I'm
    > wrong.

    No, it's in the mail folder itself. There's a flag in the header
    that tells TB that the message is to be deleted when the trash is
    emptied.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

    You won't know anything for certain until you look in the box.
    And by then, of course, it's too late!

+ Reply to Thread