Remote images still blocked!!! - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Remote images still blocked!!! - Mozilla ; TB 1.5.0.5 (recent download), Current settings: View>>Message body as>>Original HTML View>>Display attachments inline Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Block loading of remote images in mail messages: UNchecked Still no images, what's going on???...

  1. Remote images still blocked!!!

    TB 1.5.0.5 (recent download), Current settings:

    View>>Message body as>>Original HTML
    View>>Display attachments inline
    Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Block loading of remote images in mail messages: UNchecked

    Still no images, what's going on???

  2. Re: Remote images still blocked!!!

    Steve Eddy wrote:
    > TB 1.5.0.5 (recent download), Current settings:
    >
    > View>>Message body as>>Original HTML
    > View>>Display attachments inline
    > Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Block loading of remote images in mail
    > messages: UNchecked
    >
    > Still no images, what's going on???

    see this page :
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Images_in_..._do_not_appear

  3. Re: Remote images still blocked!!!

    Nir wrote:
    > Steve Eddy wrote:
    >> TB 1.5.0.5 (recent download), Current settings:
    >>
    >> View>>Message body as>>Original HTML
    >> View>>Display attachments inline
    >> Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Block loading of remote images in mail
    >> messages: UNchecked
    >>
    >> Still no images, what's going on???
    >>

    > see this page : http://kb.mozillazine.org/Images_in_..._do_not_appear

    Thanks, Nir. I have already been there. In addition to the above:

    I am working online
    Mail displays fine as an HTML file (no firewall, proxy or ad filter is involved)
    No junk mail has been identified, and HTML sanitize is UNchecked
    No application/octet-streams content types are involved

    and still no images!

    Steve

  4. Re: Remote images still blocked!!!

    _Steve Eddy_ spoke thusly on 24/08/2006 12:01 PM:
    > TB 1.5.0.5 (recent download), Current settings:
    >
    > View>>Message body as>>Original HTML
    > View>>Display attachments inline
    > Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Block loading of remote images in mail
    > messages: UNchecked
    >
    > Still no images, what's going on???

    Are you referring to the yellow bar, saying "To protect your privacy,
    Thunderbird has blocked remote images in this message"? Thunderbird does
    that with any message containing remote images. Click on "Show Images",
    and Thunderbird will no longer block remote images for that message.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  5. Re: Remote images still blocked!!!

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Steve Eddy_ spoke thusly on 24/08/2006 12:01 PM:
    >> TB 1.5.0.5 (recent download), Current settings:
    >>
    >> View>>Message body as>>Original HTML
    >> View>>Display attachments inline
    >> Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Block loading of remote images in mail
    >> messages: UNchecked
    >>
    >> Still no images, what's going on???

    > Are you referring to the yellow bar, saying "To protect your privacy,
    > Thunderbird has blocked remote images in this message"? Thunderbird does
    > that with any message containing remote images. Click on "Show Images",
    > and Thunderbird will no longer block remote images for that message.

    I have not seen a "yellow bar" with that message, or a "show images" option. All I get are rectangles with red diamonds in the mail, and no apparent option to retrieve the images.

    Is this the default behavior of TB? Most of my (HTML) messages contain references to remote images.

  6. Re: Remote images still blocked!!!

    _Steve Eddy_ spoke thusly on 24/08/2006 7:07 PM:
    > I have not seen a "yellow bar" with that message, or a "show images"
    > option. All I get are rectangles with red diamonds in the mail, and no
    > apparent option to retrieve the images.
    > Is this the default behavior of TB? Most of my (HTML) messages contain
    > references to remote images.

    Weird. Maybe the URLs are bad. I'll send you a test message, with a
    working URL.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  7. Re: Remote images still blocked!!!

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Steve Eddy_ spoke thusly on 24/08/2006 7:07 PM:
    >> I have not seen a "yellow bar" with that message, or a "show images"
    >> option. All I get are rectangles with red diamonds in the mail, and
    >> no apparent option to retrieve the images. Is this the default
    >> behavior of TB? Most of my (HTML) messages contain references to
    >> remote images.

    > Weird. Maybe the URLs are bad. I'll send you a test message, with a
    > working URL.

    If you can copy the image URL by right clicking on
    the image place holder and selecting 'copy image
    location' , paste that URL in firefox search bar
    and press enter. can Firefox load that image?if
    you don't have firefox , try this with any other
    browser .

  8. Re: Remote images still blocked!!!

    Nir wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Steve Eddy_ spoke thusly on 24/08/2006 7:07 PM:
    >>> I have not seen a "yellow bar" with that message, or a "show images"
    >>> option. All I get are rectangles with red diamonds in the mail, and
    >>> no apparent option to retrieve the images. Is this the default
    >>> behavior of TB? Most of my (HTML) messages contain references to
    >>> remote images.

    >> Weird. Maybe the URLs are bad. I'll send you a test message, with a
    >> working URL.

    > If you can copy the image URL by right clicking on the image place
    > holder and selecting 'copy image location' , paste that URL in firefox
    > search bar and press enter. can Firefox load that image?if you don't
    > have firefox , try this with any other browser .

    Very weird indeed. The URLs are fine. I have saved several of the affected messages as HTML files, and all remote images load just fine when those files are opened in a browser. And it's consistent for all messages all of the time, so it isn't a transient problem.

    Since this (TB) is just a trial run right now, perhaps I should re-install? This appears to be an isolated phenomena so... I really don't know what else to do.

  9. Re: Remote images still blocked!!!

    Steve Eddy wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>> _Steve Eddy_ spoke thusly on 24/08/2006 7:07 PM:
    >>>
    >>> Weird. Maybe the URLs are bad. I'll send you a test message, with a
    >>> working URL.

    >> If you can copy the image URL by right clicking on the image place
    >> holder and selecting 'copy image location' , paste that URL in firefox
    >> search bar and press enter. can Firefox load that image?if you don't
    >> have firefox , try this with any other browser .

    > Very weird indeed. The URLs are fine. I have saved several of the
    > affected messages as HTML files, and all remote images load just fine
    > when those files are opened in a browser. And it's consistent for all
    > messages all of the time, so it isn't a transient problem.
    >
    > Since this (TB) is just a trial run right now, perhaps I should
    > re-install? This appears to be an isolated phenomena so... I really
    > don't know what else to do.

    Completely close Thunderbird.
    goto your profile folder
    (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Thunderbird)
    and rename 'mimeTypes.rdf' to 'mimeTypes.rdf.backup'
    start Thunderbird.

  10. Re: Remote images still blocked!!!

    Nir wrote:
    > Steve Eddy wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:

    >>> If you can copy the image URL by right clicking on the image place
    >>> holder and selecting 'copy image location' , paste that URL in
    >>> firefox search bar and press enter. can Firefox load that image?if
    >>> you don't have firefox , try this with any other browser .

    >> Very weird indeed. The URLs are fine. I have saved several of the
    >> affected messages as HTML files, and all remote images load just fine
    >> when those files are opened in a browser. And it's consistent for all
    >> messages all of the time, so it isn't a transient problem.
    >>
    >> Since this (TB) is just a trial run right now, perhaps I should
    >> re-install? This appears to be an isolated phenomena so... I really
    >> don't know what else to do.

    > Completely close Thunderbird.
    > goto your profile folder (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Thunderbird)
    > and rename 'mimeTypes.rdf' to 'mimeTypes.rdf.backup'
    > start Thunderbird.

    OK, did that, no changes in behavior and a new mimeTypes.rdf was created, appears to be identical to the original.

  11. Re: Remote images still blocked!!!

    _Steve Eddy_ spoke thusly on 25/08/2006 12:16 PM:
    > Very weird indeed. The URLs are fine. I have saved several of the
    > affected messages as HTML files, and all remote images load just fine
    > when those files are opened in a browser. And it's consistent for all
    > messages all of the time, so it isn't a transient problem.
    >
    > Since this (TB) is just a trial run right now, perhaps I should
    > re-install? This appears to be an isolated phenomena so... I really
    > don't know what else to do.

    What happened with the message I sent you? Did you get a yellow bar with
    a "Show Images" button? Did you get the red diamond, underneath the
    sentence?
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  12. Re: Remote images still blocked!!!

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Steve Eddy_ spoke thusly on 25/08/2006 12:16 PM:
    >> Very weird indeed. The URLs are fine. I have saved several of the
    >> affected messages as HTML files, and all remote images load just fine
    >> when those files are opened in a browser. And it's consistent for all
    >> messages all of the time, so it isn't a transient problem.
    >>
    >> Since this (TB) is just a trial run right now, perhaps I should
    >> re-install? This appears to be an isolated phenomena so... I really
    >> don't know what else to do.

    > What happened with the message I sent you? Did you get a yellow bar with
    > a "Show Images" button? Did you get the red diamond, underneath the
    > sentence?

    Looked for it, but never found it. Wanna try again?

  13. Re: Remote images still blocked!!!

    _Steve Eddy_ spoke thusly on 30/08/2006 4:26 PM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> What happened with the message I sent you? Did you get a yellow bar
    >> with a "Show Images" button? Did you get the red diamond, underneath
    >> the sentence?

    > Looked for it, but never found it. Wanna try again?

    Sent again...
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  14. Re: Remote images still blocked!!!

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Steve Eddy_ spoke thusly on 30/08/2006 4:26 PM:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>> What happened with the message I sent you? Did you get a yellow bar
    >>> with a "Show Images" button? Did you get the red diamond, underneath
    >>> the sentence?

    >> Looked for it, but never found it. Wanna try again?

    > Sent again...

    Found the problem. Acting on a tip from a local Windows techie, we
    disabled the following Services via msconfig, by trial and error -
    meaning one of these, some combination of these, or all of these were
    necessary to display images in-line. I have neither the inclination or
    the motivation to figure out which, perhaps others who are otherwise
    inclined can chip in:

    Application Management
    ASP.net State Services
    Network Associates McShield
    Network Associates Task Manager
    Symantec Ghost Win32 Client Agent
    Security Center
    Automatic Updates

    Sheesh!

    Steve

  15. Re: Remote images still blocked!!!

    _Steve Eddy_ spoke thusly on 18/09/2006 7:14 PM:
    > Found the problem. Acting on a tip from a local Windows techie, we
    > disabled the following Services via msconfig, by trial and error -
    > meaning one of these, some combination of these, or all of these were
    > necessary to display images in-line. I have neither the inclination or
    > the motivation to figure out which, perhaps others who are otherwise
    > inclined can chip in:
    >
    > Application Management
    > ASP.net State Services
    > Network Associates McShield
    > Network Associates Task Manager
    > Symantec Ghost Win32 Client Agent
    > Security Center
    > Automatic Updates

    Thanks for telling us.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  16. Re: Remote images still blocked!!!

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Steve Eddy_ spoke thusly on 18/09/2006 7:14 PM:
    >> Found the problem. Acting on a tip from a local Windows techie, we
    >> disabled the following Services via msconfig, by trial and error -
    >> meaning one of these, some combination of these, or all of these were
    >> necessary to display images in-line. I have neither the inclination
    >> or the motivation to figure out which, perhaps others who are
    >> so inclined can chip in:
    >>
    >> Application Management
    >> ASP.net State Services
    >> Network Associates McShield
    >> Network Associates Task Manager
    >> Symantec Ghost Win32 Client Agent
    >> Security Center
    >> Automatic Updates

    > Thanks for telling us.

    Update on this: Security Center and Automatic updates were re-enabled,
    and inline images still display fine. I'll continue to update this
    message if/when more services are re-enabled and note any side effects
    it may have on TB.

  17. Re: Remote images still blocked!!!

    I am running 2.0.0.0 and despite having tried all the hints I have
    seen here, I can't get remote images to display. I had the same problem
    with TB 1.5.3 and was hoping that V2 would solve it. It hasn't.

    List of what I have tried:
    Addresses are in local address books
    Display Images in Line is ticked
    Message Body displayed as original HTML

    A message received and then saved as an .html file displays correctly in
    FF/IE. Same message received in a second TB account and that doesn't go
    through Popfile which is the only "proxy" I have does not display
    images either.

    From the list in this message, the only one that was enabled in my
    setup was ASP.net, removing that hasn't changed anything.

    Anyone have any other ideas I can try ?

    I do have a setup on a 2nd PC that is working, are there 2 files I can
    compare to see what is different. (As far as I am aware the only
    difference is the AV, the working one uses McAFee, the other Symantec)

    Steve

    Steve Eddy wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Steve Eddy_ spoke thusly on 30/08/2006 4:26 PM:

    >>> Looked for it, but never found it. Wanna try again?

    >> Sent again...

    > Found the problem. Acting on a tip from a local Windows techie, we
    > disabled the following Services via msconfig, by trial and error -
    > meaning one of these, some combination of these, or all of these were
    > necessary to display images in-line. I have neither the inclination or
    > the motivation to figure out which, perhaps others who are otherwise
    > inclined can chip in:
    >
    > Application Management
    > ASP.net State Services
    > Network Associates McShield
    > Network Associates Task Manager
    > Symantec Ghost Win32 Client Agent
    > Security Center
    > Automatic Updates
    >
    > Sheesh!
    >
    > Steve

  18. Re: Remote images still blocked!!!

    steve wrote:
    > I am running 2.0.0.0 and despite having tried all the hints I have
    > seen here, I can't get remote images to display. I had the same
    > problem with TB 1.5.3 and was hoping that V2 would solve it. It
    > hasn't.
    >
    > List of what I have tried: Addresses are in local address books
    > Display Images in Line is ticked Message Body displayed as original
    > HTML
    >
    > A message received and then saved as an .html file displays correctly
    > in FF/IE. Same message received in a second TB account and that
    > doesn't go through Popfile which is the only "proxy" I have does not
    > display images either.
    >
    > From the list in this message, the only one that was enabled in my
    > setup was ASP.net, removing that hasn't changed anything.
    >
    > Anyone have any other ideas I can try ?
    >
    > I do have a setup on a 2nd PC that is working, are there 2 files I
    > can compare to see what is different. (As far as I am aware the only
    > difference is the AV, the working one uses McAFee, the other
    > Symantec)

    you should see "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Images_in_messages_do_not_appear"

  19. Re: Remote images still blocked!!!

    Thanks but I've been through that at least twice and it doesn't actually
    help a lot

    The only paragraph that gives a hint is "Verify that a firewall, proxy
    or ad filter didn't strip the image. Use File -> "Save Message As" to
    save the message as a HTML file with a .HTML file extension. Then double
    click on it in windows explorer and see if it displays the image." (In
    my case the message will then display the images)

    but doesn't give a hint how to solve the problem. I don't run a
    firewall, ad filter or proxy on my local machine

    Steve

    Nir wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >> I am running 2.0.0.0 and despite having tried all the hints I have
    >> seen here, I can't get remote images to display. I had the same
    >> problem with TB 1.5.3 and was hoping that V2 would solve it. It
    >> hasn't.
    >>
    >> List of what I have tried: Addresses are in local address books
    >> Display Images in Line is ticked Message Body displayed as original
    >> HTML
    >>
    >> A message received and then saved as an .html file displays correctly
    >> in FF/IE. Same message received in a second TB account and that
    >> doesn't go through Popfile which is the only "proxy" I have does not
    >> display images either.
    >>
    >> From the list in this message, the only one that was enabled in my
    >> setup was ASP.net, removing that hasn't changed anything.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any other ideas I can try ?
    >>
    >> I do have a setup on a 2nd PC that is working, are there 2 files I
    >> can compare to see what is different. (As far as I am aware the only
    >> difference is the AV, the working one uses McAFee, the other
    >> Symantec)

    > you should see "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Images_in_messages_do_not_appear"

+ Reply to Thread