Thunderbird address book VERY slow - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Thunderbird address book VERY slow - Mozilla ; All, I have a client who has an address book of about 2000 addresses, and 40 or so address groups. When she first loads thunderbird and writes her first message, it takes a full minute or so (maybe more) to ...

  1. Thunderbird address book VERY slow

    All,

    I have a client who has an address book of about 2000 addresses, and 40
    or so address groups. When she first loads thunderbird and writes her
    first message, it takes a full minute or so (maybe more) to load the
    first address she types in the "To:" field in a new message. After that
    it behaves better most of the time, with occasional delays in filling in
    addresses, and in sending out email.

    Also the address book is equally slow to load when summoned.

    I've exported and imported her address book, with the result that
    abook.mab was reduced from about 800K to about 280K, but this did not
    improve performance.

    My impression is that there is some on-the-fly indexing going on that is
    causing Thunderbird to lose its brains.

    Is there a fix to this? Are there diagnostic or .mab file processing
    tools that can fix any problems?

    Botton line is that this is a very busy woman (as a busy activist - on
    email among other things) who cannot afford such time delays and
    frustration in her ongoing daily work.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    - Henrik

  2. Re: Thunderbird address book VERY slow

    Henrik Bechmann wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I have a client who has an address book of about 2000 addresses, and 40
    > or so address groups. When she first loads thunderbird and writes her
    > first message, it takes a full minute or so (maybe more) to load the
    > first address she types in the "To:" field in a new message. After that
    > it behaves better most of the time, with occasional delays in filling in
    > addresses, and in sending out email.
    >
    > Also the address book is equally slow to load when summoned.
    >
    > I've exported and imported her address book, with the result that
    > abook.mab was reduced from about 800K to about 280K, but this did not
    > improve performance.
    >
    > My impression is that there is some on-the-fly indexing going on that is
    > causing Thunderbird to lose its brains.
    >
    > Is there a fix to this? Are there diagnostic or .mab file processing
    > tools that can fix any problems?
    >
    > Botton line is that this is a very busy woman (as a busy activist - on
    > email among other things) who cannot afford such time delays and
    > frustration in her ongoing daily work.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > - Henrik

    are you using 'LDAP address book' ?

  3. Re: Thunderbird address book VERY slow

    Henrik Bechmann wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I have a client who has an address book of about 2000 addresses, and 40
    > or so address groups. When she first loads thunderbird and writes her
    > first message, it takes a full minute or so (maybe more) to load the
    > first address she types in the "To:" field in a new message. After that
    > it behaves better most of the time, with occasional delays in filling in
    > addresses, and in sending out email.
    >
    > Also the address book is equally slow to load when summoned.
    >
    > I've exported and imported her address book, with the result that
    > abook.mab was reduced from about 800K to about 280K, but this did not
    > improve performance.
    >
    > My impression is that there is some on-the-fly indexing going on that is
    > causing Thunderbird to lose its brains.
    >
    > Is there a fix to this? Are there diagnostic or .mab file processing
    > tools that can fix any problems?
    >
    > Botton line is that this is a very busy woman (as a busy activist - on
    > email among other things) who cannot afford such time delays and
    > frustration in her ongoing daily work.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > - Henrik

    you may see this link :
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...52c7720138a9cb

  4. Re: Thunderbird address book VERY slow

    On 8/12/2006 9:37 AM Pacific Time, Henrik Bechmann wrote thusly:
    > All,
    >
    > I have a client who has an address book of about 2000 addresses, and 40
    > or so address groups. When she first loads thunderbird and writes her
    > first message, it takes a full minute or so (maybe more) to load the
    > first address she types in the "To:" field in a new message. After that
    > it behaves better most of the time, with occasional delays in filling in
    > addresses, and in sending out email.
    >
    > Also the address book is equally slow to load when summoned.
    >
    > I've exported and imported her address book, with the result that
    > abook.mab was reduced from about 800K to about 280K, but this did not
    > improve performance.
    >
    > My impression is that there is some on-the-fly indexing going on that is
    > causing Thunderbird to lose its brains.
    >
    > Is there a fix to this? Are there diagnostic or .mab file processing
    > tools that can fix any problems?
    >
    > Botton line is that this is a very busy woman (as a busy activist - on
    > email among other things) who cannot afford such time delays and
    > frustration in her ongoing daily work.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > - Henrik

    Henrik,
    There is another thread here I started called "address book slow" not
    to long ago that has the fix for it. The link Nir posted also has the
    "keys" to getting the extra entries deleted out of the prefs file.

    Barbara

  5. Re: Thunderbird address book VERY slow

    Barbara wrote:
    > On 8/12/2006 9:37 AM Pacific Time, Henrik Bechmann wrote thusly:
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I have a client who has an address book of about 2000 addresses, and
    >> 40 or so address groups. When she first loads thunderbird and writes
    >> her first message, it takes a full minute or so (maybe more) to load
    >> the first address she types in the "To:" field in a new message. After
    >> that it behaves better most of the time, with occasional delays in
    >> filling in addresses, and in sending out email.
    >>
    >> Also the address book is equally slow to load when summoned.
    >>
    >> I've exported and imported her address book, with the result that
    >> abook.mab was reduced from about 800K to about 280K, but this did not
    >> improve performance.
    >>
    >> My impression is that there is some on-the-fly indexing going on that
    >> is causing Thunderbird to lose its brains.
    >>
    >> Is there a fix to this? Are there diagnostic or .mab file processing
    >> tools that can fix any problems?
    >>
    >> Botton line is that this is a very busy woman (as a busy activist - on
    >> email among other things) who cannot afford such time delays and
    >> frustration in her ongoing daily work.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> - Henrik

    > Henrik,
    > There is another thread here I started called "address book slow" not
    > to long ago that has the fix for it. The link Nir posted also has the
    > "keys" to getting the extra entries deleted out of the prefs file.
    >
    > Barbara

    ....and you will find that thread at :
    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...f19c01ed092268

  6. Re: Thunderbird address book VERY slow

    Nir wrote:
    > Henrik Bechmann wrote:
    > > All,
    > >
    > > I have a client who has an address book of about 2000 addresses, and 40
    > > or so address groups. When she first loads thunderbird and writes her
    > > first message, it takes a full minute or so (maybe more) to load the
    > > first address she types in the "To:" field in a new message. After that
    > > it behaves better most of the time, with occasional delays in filling in
    > > addresses, and in sending out email.
    > >
    > > Also the address book is equally slow to load when summoned.
    > >
    > > I've exported and imported her address book, with the result that
    > > abook.mab was reduced from about 800K to about 280K, but this did not
    > > improve performance.
    > >
    > > My impression is that there is some on-the-fly indexing going on that is
    > > causing Thunderbird to lose its brains.
    > >
    > > Is there a fix to this? Are there diagnostic or .mab file processing
    > > tools that can fix any problems?
    > >
    > > Botton line is that this is a very busy woman (as a busy activist - on
    > > email among other things) who cannot afford such time delays and
    > > frustration in her ongoing daily work.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > - Henrik