portable setup question - Mozilla

This is a discussion on portable setup question - Mozilla ; I've been using portable Thunderbird and Firefox for some months and love them. Recently I've taken to copying the files from the USB stick to a data drive on my main machine as it tends to run a bit faster. ...

  1. portable setup question

    I've been using portable Thunderbird and Firefox for some months and
    love them. Recently I've taken to copying the files from the USB stick
    to a data drive on my main machine as it tends to run a bit faster. I
    have a dual boot XP/Vista but now want to try out Ubuntu and I want to
    use the portable apps with that too.

    This is easy with Windows but I'm not sure how to do it with Linux. I
    want to run Thunderbird from Ubuntu and have it use the USB stick to
    find the profile. I don't think there is a portable version for Linux
    yet unless running under Wine which I don't want to do.

    So the question is can I tell TB on Linux to create a new profile on the
    USB stick, have it do so, and then copy the profile files I want to use
    to the right folder on the stick and have it work? I hope that makes sense.

    I've thought of having a new FAT32 partition instead that can be read
    and written to by all but it is not practical for me at this time as I
    already have too many partitions.

  2. Re: portable setup question

    Bernie wrote:
    > I've been using portable Thunderbird and Firefox for some months and
    > love them. Recently I've taken to copying the files from the USB stick
    > to a data drive on my main machine as it tends to run a bit faster. I
    > have a dual boot XP/Vista but now want to try out Ubuntu and I want to
    > use the portable apps with that too.
    >
    > This is easy with Windows but I'm not sure how to do it with Linux. I
    > want to run Thunderbird from Ubuntu and have it use the USB stick to
    > find the profile. I don't think there is a portable version for Linux
    > yet unless running under Wine which I don't want to do.
    >
    > So the question is can I tell TB on Linux to create a new profile on the
    > USB stick, have it do so, and then copy the profile files I want to use
    > to the right folder on the stick and have it work? I hope that makes sense.
    >
    > I've thought of having a new FAT32 partition instead that can be read
    > and written to by all but it is not practical for me at this time as I
    > already have too many partitions.

    you mayn't create a new profile , just use your existing profile using "-profile
    "path""command line
    for example : if your thunderbird installation folder is at
    '/usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5.0.4' then type in 'shell command window'

    /usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5.0.4./thunderbird -profile "F:\My TB profile"

    where F is your USB drive name and 'My TB profile' is the path of your profile
    folder in USB

  3. Re: portable setup question

    Nir wrote:
    > Bernie wrote:
    >> I've been using portable Thunderbird and Firefox for some months and
    >> love them. Recently I've taken to copying the files from the USB stick
    >> to a data drive on my main machine as it tends to run a bit faster. I
    >> have a dual boot XP/Vista but now want to try out Ubuntu and I want to
    >> use the portable apps with that too.
    >>
    >> This is easy with Windows but I'm not sure how to do it with Linux. I
    >> want to run Thunderbird from Ubuntu and have it use the USB stick to
    >> find the profile. I don't think there is a portable version for Linux
    >> yet unless running under Wine which I don't want to do.
    >>
    >> So the question is can I tell TB on Linux to create a new profile on the
    >> USB stick, have it do so, and then copy the profile files I want to use
    >> to the right folder on the stick and have it work? I hope that makes sense.
    >>
    >> I've thought of having a new FAT32 partition instead that can be read
    >> and written to by all but it is not practical for me at this time as I
    >> already have too many partitions.

    > you mayn't create a new profile , just use your existing profile using "-profile
    > "path""command line
    > for example : if your thunderbird installation folder is at
    > '/usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5.0.4' then type in 'shell command window'
    >
    > /usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5.0.4./thunderbird -profile "F:\My TB profile"
    >
    > where F is your USB drive name and 'My TB profile' is the path of your profile
    > folder in USB

    sorry command will be something like this :
    "/usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5.0.4./thunderbird" -profile "F:\My TB profile"

  4. Re: portable setup question

    Nir wrote:

    > sorry command will be something like this :
    > "/usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5.0.4./thunderbird" -profile "F:\My TB profile"

    Thanks. That'll do nicely.

  5. Re: portable setup question

    Nir wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> Bernie wrote:
    >>> I've been using portable Thunderbird and Firefox for some months and
    >>> love them. Recently I've taken to copying the files from the USB stick
    >>> to a data drive on my main machine as it tends to run a bit faster. I
    >>> have a dual boot XP/Vista but now want to try out Ubuntu and I want to
    >>> use the portable apps with that too.
    >>>
    >>> This is easy with Windows but I'm not sure how to do it with Linux. I
    >>> want to run Thunderbird from Ubuntu and have it use the USB stick to
    >>> find the profile. I don't think there is a portable version for Linux
    >>> yet unless running under Wine which I don't want to do.
    >>>
    >>> So the question is can I tell TB on Linux to create a new profile on the
    >>> USB stick, have it do so, and then copy the profile files I want to use
    >>> to the right folder on the stick and have it work? I hope that makes sense.
    >>>
    >>> I've thought of having a new FAT32 partition instead that can be read
    >>> and written to by all but it is not practical for me at this time as I
    >>> already have too many partitions.

    >> you mayn't create a new profile , just use your existing profile using "-profile
    >> "path""command line
    >> for example : if your thunderbird installation folder is at
    >> '/usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5.0.4' then type in 'shell command window'
    >>
    >> /usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5.0.4./thunderbird -profile "F:\My TB profile"
    >>
    >> where F is your USB drive name and 'My TB profile' is the path of your profile
    >> folder in USB
    >>

    > sorry command will be something like this :
    > "/usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5.0.4./thunderbird" -profile "F:\My TB profile"

    He wants to run under unix/Linux -- wouldn't it be like:

    prompt$ thunderbird -profile "/mnt/usb1/tbprofile"

    The nomenclature F: (or C: or D: or...) are windows.. I can't see a
    mountpoint yet in unix that follows windows.

  6. Re: portable setup question

    Tim Judd wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:

    >>> you mayn't create a new profile , just use your existing profile
    >>> using "-profile
    >>> "path""command line
    >>> for example : if your thunderbird installation folder is at
    >>> '/usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5.0.4' then type in 'shell command window'
    >>>
    >>> /usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5.0.4./thunderbird -profile "F:\My TB profile"
    >>>
    >>> where F is your USB drive name and 'My TB profile' is the path of
    >>> your profile
    >>> folder in USB
    >>>

    >> sorry command will be something like this :
    >> "/usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5.0.4./thunderbird" -profile "F:\My TB profile"

    > He wants to run under unix/Linux -- wouldn't it be like:
    >
    > prompt$ thunderbird -profile "/mnt/usb1/tbprofile"
    >
    > The nomenclature F: (or C: or D: or...) are windows.. I can't see a
    > mountpoint yet in unix that follows windows.

    thanks for that correction

+ Reply to Thread