Compose window won't stay maximized - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Compose window won't stay maximized - Mozilla ; When you open a window in TB for the first time you should be able to select the size of the window and then the program remembers that setting for the next time. At least that's how it used to ...

  1. Compose window won't stay maximized

    When you open a window in TB for the first time you should be able to
    select the size of the window and then the program remembers that
    setting for the next time. At least that's how it used to work. I am
    running TB 1.5.0.4 on Ubuntu Linux. Since upgrading from the previous
    version the compose window always opens at its smallest size. Is there
    some configuration file I can change to fix this problem?

    Bob

  2. Re: Compose window won't stay maximized

    Baasha wrote:
    > When you open a window in TB for the first time you should be able to
    > select the size of the window and then the program remembers that
    > setting for the next time. At least that's how it used to work. I am
    > running TB 1.5.0.4 on Ubuntu Linux. Since upgrading from the previous
    > version the compose window always opens at its smallest size. Is there
    > some configuration file I can change to fix this problem?
    >
    > Bob

    Completely close thunderbird.
    Goto your profile folder ( https://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile )
    and rename 'localstore.rdf' to 'localstore.rdf.backup'
    Start Thunderbird

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Localstore.rdf

  3. Re: Compose window won't stay maximized

    On 03/08/06 07:18 AM, Nir wrote:
    > Baasha wrote:
    >> When you open a window in TB for the first time you should be able to
    >> select the size of the window and then the program remembers that
    >> setting for the next time. At least that's how it used to work. I am
    >> running TB 1.5.0.4 on Ubuntu Linux. Since upgrading from the previous
    >> version the compose window always opens at its smallest size. Is there
    >> some configuration file I can change to fix this problem?
    >>
    >> Bob

    > Completely close thunderbird.
    > Goto your profile folder ( https://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile )
    > and rename 'localstore.rdf' to 'localstore.rdf.backup'
    > Start Thunderbird
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Localstore.rdf

    I found two localstore.rdf files. One in my profiles folder and another
    in a sub-folder of profiles. I renamed both files and shut down TB and
    when I restarted a new rdf file was not created. What should I try next?

  4. Re: Compose window won't stay maximized

    Baasha wrote:
    > What should I try next?

    go to the pub!!!! ;-) :-D

    --
    Maxims for the Internet Age: A journey of a thousand sites begins
    with a single click.

  5. Re: Compose window won't stay maximized

    Baasha wrote:
    > On 03/08/06 07:18 AM, Nir wrote:
    >> Baasha wrote:
    >>> When you open a window in TB for the first time you should be able to
    >>> select the size of the window and then the program remembers that
    >>> setting for the next time. At least that's how it used to work. I am
    >>> running TB 1.5.0.4 on Ubuntu Linux. Since upgrading from the previous
    >>> version the compose window always opens at its smallest size. Is there
    >>> some configuration file I can change to fix this problem?
    >>>
    >>> Bob

    >> Completely close thunderbird.
    >> Goto your profile folder ( https://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile )
    >> and rename 'localstore.rdf' to 'localstore.rdf.backup'
    >> Start Thunderbird
    >>
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Localstore.rdf

    > I found two localstore.rdf files. One in my profiles folder and another
    > in a sub-folder of profiles. I renamed both files and shut down TB and
    > when I restarted a new rdf file was not created. What should I try next?

    There are two file having almost same name 'localstore.rdf' and
    'localstore-safe.rdf' . rename or delete only 'localstore.rdf' . You don't have
    to delete any other files and start Thunderbird and that file will be created
    automatically ( see this link for more information :
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Localstore.rdf#Deleting ). I never find such problem.
    If you still getting problem, please reply back.

  6. Re: Compose window won't stay maximized

    On 04/08/06 07:26 AM, Nir wrote:
    > Baasha wrote:

    >>> Completely close thunderbird.
    >>> Goto your profile folder ( https://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile )
    >>> and rename 'localstore.rdf' to 'localstore.rdf.backup'
    >>> Start Thunderbird
    >>>
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Localstore.rdf

    >> I found two localstore.rdf files. One in my profiles folder and another
    >> in a sub-folder of profiles. I renamed both files and shut down TB and
    >> when I restarted a new rdf file was not created. What should I try next?

    > There are two file having almost same name 'localstore.rdf' and
    > 'localstore-safe.rdf' . rename or delete only 'localstore.rdf' . You don't have
    > to delete any other files and start Thunderbird and that file will be created
    > automatically ( see this link for more information :
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Localstore.rdf#Deleting ). I never find such problem.
    > If you still getting problem, please reply back.

    Yes, I am still having problems. I finally tracked down my real profile
    folder and found the right localstore.rdf. I changed the name as you
    said, after shutting TB down, of course. When I restarted there was no
    change, the compose window still opened at a small size, even after
    maximizing the window, shutting down and restarting.

    Then I examined the localstore file and saw that references to other
    windows had a line that seemed to set the window to maximum. So I tried
    copying and pasting that line into the area that set the compose window
    size, but that didn't work either.

    Something else I noticed was that I had two different numbered profiles.
    So I went into the profile.ini file and saw that the profile that the
    program seems to be using is listed as profile(1), while the other one
    was listed as Profile(0). Could the localstore info be somehow picked
    up from this other profile? All the other information needed to run the
    program seems to be coming from profile(1), so I am at a loss to explain
    why I can't keep the compose window maximized. Any more ideas?

    Then I examined the

  7. Re: Compose window won't stay maximized

    Baasha wrote:
    > Then I examined the

    you got me on pins and needles ;-) "Then I examined the . . . " the
    what? Don't hold use in suspense :-)

    --
    Maxims for the Internet Age: A journey of a thousand sites begins
    with a single click.

  8. Re: Compose window won't stay maximized

    Baasha wrote:
    > On 04/08/06 07:26 AM, Nir wrote:
    >> Baasha wrote:

    >>> I found two localstore.rdf files. One in my profiles folder and another
    >>> in a sub-folder of profiles. I renamed both files and shut down TB and
    >>> when I restarted a new rdf file was not created. What should I try
    >>> next?

    >> There are two file having almost same name 'localstore.rdf' and
    >> 'localstore-safe.rdf' . rename or delete only 'localstore.rdf' . You
    >> don't have
    >> to delete any other files and start Thunderbird and that file will be
    >> created
    >> automatically ( see this link for more information :
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Localstore.rdf#Deleting ). I never find such
    >> problem.
    >> If you still getting problem, please reply back.

    > Yes, I am still having problems. I finally tracked down my real profile
    > folder and found the right localstore.rdf. I changed the name as you
    > said, after shutting TB down, of course. When I restarted there was no
    > change, the compose window still opened at a small size, even after
    > maximizing the window, shutting down and restarting.
    >
    > Then I examined the localstore file and saw that references to other
    > windows had a line that seemed to set the window to maximum. So I tried
    > copying and pasting that line into the area that set the compose window
    > size, but that didn't work either.
    >
    > Something else I noticed was that I had two different numbered profiles.
    > So I went into the profile.ini file and saw that the profile that the
    > program seems to be using is listed as profile(1), while the other one
    > was listed as Profile(0). Could the localstore info be somehow picked
    > up from this other profile? All the other information needed to run the
    > program seems to be coming from profile(1), so I am at a loss to explain
    > why I can't keep the compose window maximized. Any more ideas?
    >
    > Then I examined the

    1.Completely close Thunderbird.
    2.delete 'localstore.rdf' file.
    3.Put cursor at the lower right corner , drag it to set it to maximize .

    In Fedora core i find another way to maximize any window ( i think it may work
    under Ubuntu ). Right click on 'Title Bar' , select 'Advanced > Special
    Application Settings'. Activate 'Maximize Vertically ' and 'Maximize Horizontally '.

  9. Re: Compose window won't stay maximized

    > In Fedora core i find another way to maximize any window ( i think it may work
    > under Ubuntu ). Right click on 'Title Bar' , select 'Advanced > Special
    > Application Settings'. Activate 'Maximize Vertically ' and 'Maximize Horizontally '.

    Actual configuration will be something like these:

    it will be Advanced > Special Windows Settings >Geometry. Activate 'Maximize
    Vertically ' and 'Maximize Horizontally '
    under 'windows extra' tab , select 'Normal Window' . Then under 'window Title: ' ,
    click on drop-down bar , select 'Substring match' and type in text bar 'Compose:'
    Click on 'OK'.

    Now this setting will make 'compose' window maximize without depending on
    Thunderbird settings.

  10. Re: Compose window won't stay maximized

    On 05/08/06 11:24 PM, gwtc wrote:
    > Baasha wrote:
    >> Then I examined the

    > you got me on pins and needles ;-) "Then I examined the . . . " the
    > what? Don't hold use in suspense :-)

    That must have been a stray copy paste error. No need to get too
    excited :-))

  11. Re: Compose window won't stay maximized

    On 06/08/06 06:20 AM, Nir wrote:
    > Baasha wrote:

    >>> There are two file having almost same name 'localstore.rdf' and
    >>> 'localstore-safe.rdf' . rename or delete only 'localstore.rdf' . You
    >>> don't have
    >>> to delete any other files and start Thunderbird and that file will be
    >>> created
    >>> automatically ( see this link for more information :
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Localstore.rdf#Deleting ). I never find such
    >>> problem.
    >>> If you still getting problem, please reply back.

    >> Yes, I am still having problems. I finally tracked down my real profile
    >> folder and found the right localstore.rdf. I changed the name as you
    >> said, after shutting TB down, of course. When I restarted there was no
    >> change, the compose window still opened at a small size, even after
    >> maximizing the window, shutting down and restarting.
    >>
    >> Then I examined the localstore file and saw that references to other
    >> windows had a line that seemed to set the window to maximum. So I tried
    >> copying and pasting that line into the area that set the compose window
    >> size, but that didn't work either.
    >>
    >> Something else I noticed was that I had two different numbered profiles.
    >> So I went into the profile.ini file and saw that the profile that the
    >> program seems to be using is listed as profile(1), while the other one
    >> was listed as Profile(0). Could the localstore info be somehow picked
    >> up from this other profile? All the other information needed to run the
    >> program seems to be coming from profile(1), so I am at a loss to explain
    >> why I can't keep the compose window maximized. Any more ideas?
    >>
    >> Then I examined the

    > 1.Completely close Thunderbird.
    > 2.delete 'localstore.rdf' file.
    > 3.Put cursor at the lower right corner , drag it to set it to maximize .
    >
    > In Fedora core i find another way to maximize any window ( i think it may work
    > under Ubuntu ). Right click on 'Title Bar' , select 'Advanced > Special
    > Application Settings'. Activate 'Maximize Vertically ' and 'Maximize Horizontally '.

    Dragging the lower right corner fixed the problem. I had already tried
    right-clicking on the title bar and picking maximize but for some
    strange reason that doesn't work. Anyway it works now, and that's all
    that matters. Thanks for your help.

    PS: Ubuntu doesn't have that Advanced>Special Application Settings when
    you do a right click on the title bar. Something similar may be hidden
    away somewhere in the system but I don't know where to begin looking.

+ Reply to Thread