font settings - Mozilla

This is a discussion on font settings - Mozilla ; Just wondering how others set up their fonts for display of messages received. Under Tools=>Options=>Disply I have tried all sorts of different combinations, but so far can't eliminate the annoying behaviour where some email messages or newsgroup posts are so ...

  1. font settings

    Just wondering how others set up their fonts for display of messages
    received. Under Tools=>Options=>Disply I have tried all sorts of
    different combinations, but so far can't eliminate the annoying
    behaviour where some email messages or newsgroup posts are so small it's
    hard to read, and others the font size is much too big. Many of them
    are just as I want, which is good, but there seem to be three formats
    that are used for messages received. Funny, even those with the big or
    small fonts, if I do a Reply on them, the composition window shows them
    in my preferred format. Sorry to be rambly here, but I don't really
    understand how it works. FWIW, this is how I have things set up at the
    moment...
    Outgoing: Western (ISO-8859-1)
    Incoming: Western (ISO-8859-1)
    Apply default character encoding to incoming - not checked
    Use default character encoding in replies - not checked
    Proportional: Sans Serif 13
    Serif: Times New Roman
    Sans-Serif: Tahoma
    Monospace: Tahoma 13
    Display resolution: 96
    Minimum font size: None
    Allow messages to use other fonts: not checked

    Composition & Addressing...
    Compose messages in HTML format - not checked

    Thanks for any feedback...

    --
    Steve

  2. Re: font settings

    On 07.07.2006 11:51 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Steve
    Schapel to generate the following:? :

    > Just wondering how others set up their fonts for display of messages
    > received.

    << SNIP >>

    > this is how I have things set up at the moment...
    > Outgoing: Western (ISO-8859-1)
    > Incoming: Western (ISO-8859-1)
    > Apply default character encoding to incoming - not checked
    > Use default character encoding in replies - not checked
    > Proportional: Sans Serif 13
    > Serif: Times New Roman
    > Sans-Serif: Tahoma
    > Monospace: Tahoma 13

    this is possibly wrong - Tahoma is *either* proportional *or*
    monospaced, but not both!

    > Display resolution: 96
    > Minimum font size: None

    set this to 12 or 14 - trial-and-error to find to your liking

    > Allow messages to use other fonts: not checked

    CHECK this [ ] box

    > << SNIP >>
    >
    > Thanks for any feedback...

    FYI - "monospaced" is the equivillant to "typewriter spacing", that is,
    equal space for *all* letters and numbers and not spaced according to
    the width of an individual letter!
    Monospaced is good when you write columns, where the letters / numbers
    must be placed exactly underneath each other - in a lined-up column (as
    in book-keeping etc)!

    reg

  3. Re: font settings

    Steve Schapel wrote:
    > [...] but so far can't eliminate the annoying
    > [behavior] where some email messages or newsgroup posts are so small it's
    > hard to read, and others the font size is much too big.
    > [...]
    > Outgoing: Western (ISO-8859-1)
    > Incoming: Western (ISO-8859-1)
    > Apply default character encoding to incoming - not checked
    > Use default character encoding in replies - not checked
    > [...]

    You might try checking these; however, that will mess up messages that
    don't use iso-8859-1.

    You could also try setting the minimum font size:
    Tools=>Options=>Fonts=>Fonts=>Minimum font size=14.

+ Reply to Thread