Threaded View Tolerance - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Threaded View Tolerance - Mozilla ; I have become quite fond of the "Threaded" view for my various email sub-folders. I find it extremely useful in keeping my work conversations grouped together. I have noticed that TB will group messages that have the same subject line ...

  1. Threaded View Tolerance

    I have become quite fond of the "Threaded" view for my various email
    sub-folders. I find it extremely useful in keeping my work
    conversations grouped together.

    I have noticed that TB will group messages that have the same subject
    line regardless of the contents (or lack thereof) of the "In-Reply-to"
    header field.

    Several times I have had messages with the same subject, but unrelated
    content. Wouldn't it be better if the Thread view set those as separate
    threads rather than group them together?

    ex. all messages with "(no subject)" are all threaded together

    Is there an option to make this happen?

    Is there a greater purpose/reason that I am missing that makes this
    useful/necessary?

    Thanks,

    --Kerouac

  2. Re: Threaded View Tolerance

    Kerouac Cleary wrote:
    > I have become quite fond of the "Threaded" view for my various email
    > sub-folders. I find it extremely useful in keeping my work
    > conversations grouped together.
    >
    > I have noticed that TB will group messages that have the same subject
    > line regardless of the contents (or lack thereof) of the "In-Reply-to"
    > header field.
    >
    > Several times I have had messages with the same subject, but unrelated
    > content. Wouldn't it be better if the Thread view set those as separate
    > threads rather than group them together?
    >
    > ex. all messages with "(no subject)" are all threaded together
    >
    > Is there an option to make this happen?
    >
    > Is there a greater purpose/reason that I am missing that makes this
    > useful/necessary?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --Kerouac

    As I noted this morning in a thread under
    , I think that
    the View menu is far too complicated. As a result, there are many bugs,
    especially those affecting threaded viewing.

    Bug #271036 says it all; the Summary is "Threading performs poorly".
    There are a number of other bugs involving threading and View options.

    Apparently, a decision was made early in the development of the Mozilla
    Suite to make threaded viewing more elegant than it had been in Netscape
    4.7. Unfortunately, they made it so very elegant that the developers
    still can't implement it correctly. The bugs have now propagated into
    Thunderbird and SeaMonkey.

    Instead of adding more bells and whistles, it's time to remove some.
    Maybe bringing simplicity into threading and the View menu -- instead of
    more complexity -- could resolve many of the bugs.

    --

    David E. Ross

    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my

  3. Re: Threaded View Tolerance

    _Kerouac Cleary_ spoke thusly on 03/07/2006 12:58 PM:
    > I have noticed that TB will group messages that have the same subject
    > line regardless of the contents (or lack thereof) of the "In-Reply-to"
    > header field.
    >
    > Several times I have had messages with the same subject, but unrelated
    > content. Wouldn't it be better if the Thread view set those as separate
    > threads rather than group them together?
    >
    > ex. all messages with "(no subject)" are all threaded together
    >
    > Is there an option to make this happen?

    Go to Tools-->Options-->Advanced-->General, and click on "Config Editor".
    In the Config Editor, search for the preference |mail.thread_without_re|.
    Double-click on it, which should set the value to false.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  4. Re: Threaded View Tolerance

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Kerouac Cleary_ spoke thusly on 03/07/2006 12:58 PM:
    >> I have noticed that TB will group messages that have the same subject
    >> line regardless of the contents (or lack thereof) of the "In-Reply-to"
    >> header field.
    >>
    >> Several times I have had messages with the same subject, but unrelated
    >> content. Wouldn't it be better if the Thread view set those as
    >> separate threads rather than group them together?
    >>
    >> ex. all messages with "(no subject)" are all threaded together
    >>
    >> Is there an option to make this happen?

    > Go to Tools-->Options-->Advanced-->General, and click on "Config Editor".
    > In the Config Editor, search for the preference |mail.thread_without_re|.
    > Double-click on it, which should set the value to false.

    Where is this preference documented? I looked at the following, and
    could not find mail.thread_without_re:

    :config_entries>

    --

    David E. Ross

    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my

  5. Re: Threaded View Tolerance

    On 7/5/2006 8:06 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Kerouac Cleary_ spoke thusly on 03/07/2006 12:58 PM:
    >> I have noticed that TB will group messages that have the same subject
    >> line regardless of the contents (or lack thereof) of the "In-Reply-to"
    >> header field.
    >>
    >> Several times I have had messages with the same subject, but unrelated
    >> content. Wouldn't it be better if the Thread view set those as
    >> separate threads rather than group them together?
    >>
    >> ex. all messages with "(no subject)" are all threaded together
    >>
    >> Is there an option to make this happen?

    > Go to Tools-->Options-->Advanced-->General, and click on "Config Editor".
    > In the Config Editor, search for the preference |mail.thread_without_re|.
    > Double-click on it, which should set the value to false.

    Chris,

    Thank you very much for the suggestion, but it doesn't seem to have done
    quite what I was looking for.

    -I have the value set to false (through the user.js file). I did have TB
    closed before changing.
    -I un-threaded a folder, restarted and then re-threaded to check.
    -I confirmed that the config editor shows the "False" value
    -As a test, I checked the (no subject) messages, and they are still all
    grouped together.

    Do you know specifically what that preference is supposed to do? I'm
    sure it's doing something, I just can't tell from my test.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks!

    --Kerouac

  6. Re: Threaded View Tolerance

    _Kerouac Cleary_ spoke thusly on 06/07/2006 12:10 PM:
    > On 7/5/2006 8:06 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> Go to Tools-->Options-->Advanced-->General, and click on "Config Editor".
    >> In the Config Editor, search for the preference |mail.thread_without_re|.
    >> Double-click on it, which should set the value to false.

    > Chris,
    >
    > Thank you very much for the suggestion, but it doesn't seem to have done
    > quite what I was looking for.
    >
    > -I have the value set to false (through the user.js file). I did have TB
    > closed before changing.
    > -I un-threaded a folder, restarted and then re-threaded to check.
    > -I confirmed that the config editor shows the "False" value
    > -As a test, I checked the (no subject) messages, and they are still all
    > grouped together.
    >
    > Do you know specifically what that preference is supposed to do? I'm
    > sure it's doing something, I just can't tell from my test.

    Toggling mail.thread_without_re will not affect messages already
    downloaded, as they are already in the message summary file. It should
    work on new messages. Or you can delete the MSF file associated with
    that folder.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  7. Re: Threaded View Tolerance

    On 7/6/2006 6:34 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Kerouac Cleary_ spoke thusly on 06/07/2006 12:10 PM:
    >> On 7/5/2006 8:06 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>> Go to Tools-->Options-->Advanced-->General, and click on "Config
    >>> Editor".
    >>> In the Config Editor, search for the preference
    >>> Double-click on it, which should set the value to false.

    >> Chris,
    >>
    >> Thank you very much for the suggestion, but it doesn't seem to have
    >> done quite what I was looking for.
    >>
    >> -I have the value set to false (through the user.js file). I did have
    >> TB closed before changing.
    >> -I un-threaded a folder, restarted and then re-threaded to check.
    >> -I confirmed that the config editor shows the "False" value
    >> -As a test, I checked the (no subject) messages, and they are still
    >> all grouped together.
    >>
    >> Do you know specifically what that preference is supposed to do? I'm
    >> sure it's doing something, I just can't tell from my test.

    > Toggling mail.thread_without_re will not affect messages already
    > downloaded, as they are already in the message summary file. It should
    > work on new messages. Or you can delete the MSF file associated with
    > that folder.

    Thank you so much for pointing that out. It seems to be working just
    fine on new messages. I will delete the MSF files as you suggested.

    Thanks again!

    --Kerouac

+ Reply to Thread