Advantages of TB over OE - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Advantages of TB over OE - Mozilla ; I seem to remember seeing a web page listing reasons for using Firefox. Is there a similar page for Thunderbird? -- Herbert Eppel www.HETranslation.co.uk...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Advantages of TB over OE

  1. Advantages of TB over OE

    I seem to remember seeing a web page listing reasons for using Firefox.

    Is there a similar page for Thunderbird?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  2. Re: Advantages of TB over OE

    _Herb_ spoke thusly on 30/06/2006 1:14 AM:
    > I seem to remember seeing a web page listing reasons for using Firefox.
    >
    > Is there a similar page for Thunderbird?


    What's the page lists reasons for using Firefox? Perhaps that will point
    us to the Thunderbird page. :-)
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  3. Re: Advantages of TB over OE

    On 30-6-2006 7:14, Herb wrote:
    > I seem to remember seeing a web page listing reasons for using Firefox.
    >
    > Is there a similar page for Thunderbird?
    >

    Maybe one of those?


    --
    Regards,

    Roland

  4. Re: Advantages of TB over OE

    On 01.07.2006 09:48 UK Time, Roland de Ruiter wrote:
    > On 30-6-2006 7:14, Herb wrote:
    >> I seem to remember seeing a web page listing reasons for using Firefox.
    >>
    >> Is there a similar page for Thunderbird?
    >>

    > Maybe one of those?
    >
    >


    Hi Roland,

    thanks for the links - the Thunderbird link led me to this:
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/why/ which is exactly the
    kind of thing I was looking for, although it doesn't list quite as many
    reasons as the Firefox page I remember (I think there were about 100
    reasons!), but I also like the Firefox pages at
    http://www.mouserunner.com/FF_WhyShouldI.html and
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...ic=187044&st=0 I found
    through your Firefox link.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  5. Re: Advantages of TB over OE

    On 01.07.2006 01:45 UK Time, Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Herb_ spoke thusly on 30/06/2006 1:14 AM:
    >> I seem to remember seeing a web page listing reasons for using Firefox.
    >>
    >> Is there a similar page for Thunderbird?

    >
    > What's the page lists reasons for using Firefox? Perhaps that will point
    > us to the Thunderbird page. :-)


    I wish I could remember or find the Firefox page, but I can't :-(

    It had a very long list of reasons, about 100 I think!

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  6. Re: Advantages of TB over OE

    Herb wrote:
    > On 01.07.2006 09:48 UK Time, Roland de Ruiter wrote:
    > > On 30-6-2006 7:14, Herb wrote:
    > >> I seem to remember seeing a web page listing reasons for using Firefox.
    > >>
    > >> Is there a similar page for Thunderbird?
    > >>

    > > Maybe one of those?
    > >
    > >

    >
    > Hi Roland,
    >
    > thanks for the links - the Thunderbird link led me to this:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/why/ which is exactly the
    > kind of thing I was looking for, although it doesn't list quite as many
    > reasons as the Firefox page I remember (I think there were about 100
    > reasons!), but I also like the Firefox pages at
    > http://www.mouserunner.com/FF_WhyShouldI.html and
    > http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...ic=187044&st=0 I found
    > through your Firefox link.
    >

    I know they include 'Cross Platform Capability', but I found it was more
    powerful than I had imagined: I was moving (slowly) from windows to
    Linux, and used TB for over a year. I then only had to copy (yes just
    copy. paste) my data files into the Linux TB, and it was working. I was
    really surprised. Very easy!

    --
    ac

  7. Re: Advantages of TB over OE

    Herb wrote:

    > On 01.07.2006 09:48 UK Time, Roland de Ruiter wrote:
    >
    >>On 30-6-2006 7:14, Herb wrote:
    >>
    >>>I seem to remember seeing a web page listing reasons for using Firefox.
    >>>
    >>>Is there a similar page for Thunderbird?
    >>>

    >>
    >>Maybe one of those?
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    > Hi Roland,
    >
    > thanks for the links - the Thunderbird link led me to this:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/why/ which is exactly the
    > kind of thing I was looking for, although it doesn't list quite as many
    > reasons as the Firefox page I remember (I think there were about 100
    > reasons!), but I also like the Firefox pages at
    > http://www.mouserunner.com/FF_WhyShouldI.html and
    > http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...ic=187044&st=0 I found
    > through your Firefox link.
    >

    are you thinking of something like this?:
    http://ilias.ca/SeamonkeyvsFirefox

    --
    July 1st, Happy 139th Birthday Canada!!!! -- gwtc

  8. Re: Advantages of TB over OE

    On 01.07.2006 18:33 UK Time, gwtc wrote:
    > Herb wrote:
    >
    >> On 01.07.2006 09:48 UK Time, Roland de Ruiter wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 30-6-2006 7:14, Herb wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I seem to remember seeing a web page listing reasons for using Firefox.
    >>>>
    >>>> Is there a similar page for Thunderbird?
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Maybe one of those?
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> Hi Roland,
    >>
    >> thanks for the links - the Thunderbird link led me to this:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/why/ which is exactly the
    >> kind of thing I was looking for, although it doesn't list quite as
    >> many reasons as the Firefox page I remember (I think there were about
    >> 100 reasons!), but I also like the Firefox pages at
    >> http://www.mouserunner.com/FF_WhyShouldI.html and
    >> http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...ic=187044&st=0 I found
    >> through your Firefox link.
    >>

    > are you thinking of something like this?:
    > http://ilias.ca/SeamonkeyvsFirefox
    >


    Thanks, but no, I'm looking for a comparison between TB and OE (I should
    have said in my original message sorry).

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  9. Re: Advantages of TB over OE

    Herb wrote:

    > On 01.07.2006 18:33 UK Time, gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Herb wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>On 01.07.2006 09:48 UK Time, Roland de Ruiter wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>On 30-6-2006 7:14, Herb wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>I seem to remember seeing a web page listing reasons for using Firefox.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Is there a similar page for Thunderbird?
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>Maybe one of those?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Hi Roland,
    >>>
    >>>thanks for the links - the Thunderbird link led me to this:
    >>>http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/why/ which is exactly the
    >>>kind of thing I was looking for, although it doesn't list quite as
    >>>many reasons as the Firefox page I remember (I think there were about
    >>>100 reasons!), but I also like the Firefox pages at
    >>>http://www.mouserunner.com/FF_WhyShouldI.html and
    >>>http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...ic=187044&st=0 I found
    >>>through your Firefox link.
    >>>

    >>
    >>are you thinking of something like this?:
    >>http://ilias.ca/SeamonkeyvsFirefox
    >>

    >
    >
    > Thanks, but no, I'm looking for a comparison between TB and OE (I should
    > have said in my original message sorry).
    >

    well now, that changes everything and I don't have an answer.

    --
    Murphy's Laws of Computing: The number one cause of computer problems
    is computer solutions.

  10. Re: Advantages of TB over OE

    On 02.07.2006 18:46 UK Time, gwtc wrote:
    > Herb wrote:
    >
    >> On 01.07.2006 18:33 UK Time, gwtc wrote:
    >>
    >>> Herb wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> On 01.07.2006 09:48 UK Time, Roland de Ruiter wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> On 30-6-2006 7:14, Herb wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I seem to remember seeing a web page listing reasons for using
    >>>>>> Firefox.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Is there a similar page for Thunderbird?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Maybe one of those?
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Hi Roland,
    >>>>
    >>>> thanks for the links - the Thunderbird link led me to this:
    >>>> http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/why/ which is exactly
    >>>> the kind of thing I was looking for, although it doesn't list quite
    >>>> as many reasons as the Firefox page I remember (I think there were
    >>>> about 100 reasons!), but I also like the Firefox pages at
    >>>> http://www.mouserunner.com/FF_WhyShouldI.html and
    >>>> http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...ic=187044&st=0 I found
    >>>> through your Firefox link.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> are you thinking of something like this?:
    >>> http://ilias.ca/SeamonkeyvsFirefox
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks, but no, I'm looking for a comparison between TB and OE (I
    >> should have said in my original message sorry).
    >>

    > well now, that changes everything and I don't have an answer.
    >


    Actually, it says so in the subject line! ;-)

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  11. Re: Advantages of TB over OE

    Herb wrote:

    > On 02.07.2006 18:46 UK Time, gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Herb wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>On 01.07.2006 18:33 UK Time, gwtc wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Herb wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>On 01.07.2006 09:48 UK Time, Roland de Ruiter wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>On 30-6-2006 7:14, Herb wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>>I seem to remember seeing a web page listing reasons for using
    >>>>>>>Firefox.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>Is there a similar page for Thunderbird?
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>Maybe one of those?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Hi Roland,
    >>>>>
    >>>>>thanks for the links - the Thunderbird link led me to this:
    >>>>>http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/why/ which is exactly
    >>>>>the kind of thing I was looking for, although it doesn't list quite
    >>>>>as many reasons as the Firefox page I remember (I think there were
    >>>>>about 100 reasons!), but I also like the Firefox pages at
    >>>>>http://www.mouserunner.com/FF_WhyShouldI.html and
    >>>>>http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...ic=187044&st=0 I found
    >>>>>through your Firefox link.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>are you thinking of something like this?:
    >>>>http://ilias.ca/SeamonkeyvsFirefox
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Thanks, but no, I'm looking for a comparison between TB and OE (I
    >>>should have said in my original message sorry).
    >>>

    >>
    >>well now, that changes everything and I don't have an answer.
    >>

    >
    >
    > Actually, it says so in the subject line! ;-)
    >

    well, you should know by now, that you shouldn't put your message
    within the subject line. It should be within the context of your
    message. Most people don't read subject lines.

    --
    Murphy's Laws of Computing: The number one cause of computer problems
    is computer solutions.

  12. Re: Advantages of TB over OE

    On 02.07.2006 17:24, Herb wrote:

    --- Original Message ---

    > Actually, it says so in the subject line! ;-)


    No it doesn't, no mention of a comparison, only "advantages" of one over
    the other.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  13. Re: Advantages of TB over OE

    On 7/3/2006 8:16 AM Jay Garcia spake these words of knowledge:

    > On 02.07.2006 17:24, Herb wrote:
    >
    > --- Original Message ---
    >
    >> Actually, it says so in the subject line! ;-)

    >
    > No it doesn't, no mention of a comparison, only "advantages" of one over
    > the other.


    ?

    In order to distinguish advantages of one over the other, one *is*
    comparing them, whether one says so explicitly or not.


    RFT!!!
    Dave Kelsen
    --
    If I'm going to hell anyway, why should it matter if it's in a handbasket?

  14. Re: Advantages of TB over OE

    On 03.07.2006 17:21, Dave Kelsen wrote:

    --- Original Message ---

    > On 7/3/2006 8:16 AM Jay Garcia spake these words of knowledge:
    >
    >> On 02.07.2006 17:24, Herb wrote:
    >>
    >> --- Original Message ---
    >>
    >>> Actually, it says so in the subject line! ;-)

    >>
    >> No it doesn't, no mention of a comparison, only "advantages" of one over
    >> the other.

    >
    > ?
    >
    > In order to distinguish advantages of one over the other, one *is*
    > comparing them, whether one says so explicitly or not.
    >
    >
    > RFT!!!
    > Dave Kelsen


    A true comparison will list the features of one alongside the features
    of the other and rate a + for one and a - for the other for each
    feature. And then we can move on to a biased or unbiased comparison
    based on the "opinion" of the provider of the "advantage".

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  15. [OT] Advantages of TB over OE

    On 7/2/06 3:41 PM, gwtc posted the following:
    > Herb wrote:
    > Actually, it says so in the subject line! ;-)


    > well, you should know by now, that you shouldn't put your message
    > within the subject line. It should be within the context of your
    > message. Most people don't read subject lines.
    >

    I'd wager most people do glance at the Subject line before they begin
    reading a thread. Having a succinct Subject line that is in fact the
    subject (!) is a very good idea. Among the worst S.Lines are, "I have a
    question".

    --
    John McWilliams

  16. Re: [OT] Advantages of TB over OE

    John McWilliams wrote:

    > On 7/2/06 3:41 PM, gwtc posted the following:
    >
    >>Herb wrote:
    >>Actually, it says so in the subject line! ;-)

    >
    >
    >>well, you should know by now, that you shouldn't put your message
    >>within the subject line. It should be within the context of your
    >>message. Most people don't read subject lines.
    >>

    >
    > I'd wager most people do glance at the Subject line before they begin
    > reading a thread. Having a succinct Subject line that is in fact the
    > subject (!) is a very good idea. Among the worst S.Lines are, "I have a
    > question".
    >

    I don't. When I hit Next, it goes to the next message and I start
    reading. Rarely do I read the subject line. Unless you get a poster
    who insists on putting their entire question in the subject and
    nothing in the message, and only then do I reply with the answer in
    the subject.

    --
    You Know You're Getting Even Older When . . . At the breakfast table
    you hear snap, crackle, and pop, but you're not eating cereal.

  17. Re: [OT] Advantages of TB over OE

    On 7/7/2006 4:15 PM, gwtc wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    >
    >> On 7/2/06 3:41 PM, gwtc posted the following:
    >>
    >>> Herb wrote:
    >>> Actually, it says so in the subject line! ;-)

    >>
    >>
    >>> well, you should know by now, that you shouldn't put your message
    >>> within the subject line. It should be within the context of your
    >>> message. Most people don't read subject lines.
    >>>

    >>
    >> I'd wager most people do glance at the Subject line before they begin
    >> reading a thread. Having a succinct Subject line that is in fact the
    >> subject (!) is a very good idea. Among the worst S.Lines are, "I have
    >> a question".
    >>

    > I don't. When I hit Next, it goes to the next message and I start
    > reading. Rarely do I read the subject line. Unless you get a poster
    > who insists on putting their entire question in the subject and nothing
    > in the message, and only then do I reply with the answer in the subject.
    >


    I'm not sure we are voting here, but if anyone cares, I DO look at the
    subject line, even though I also use the 'Next' feature. If it's sounds
    like something i'm not interested in, I just press 'Next' again to skip it.

    However, I agree with the idea that you shouldn't rely on your subject
    line to give the post reader anything other than a clue as to what you
    are posting about.

    --Kerouac

+ Reply to Thread