Thunderbird Auto Restart - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Thunderbird Auto Restart - Mozilla ; For the second time in a month, something has happened that will not allow me to close thunderbird, and have it stay closed. It auto restarts every time, and also at startup. I am running Ver. 1.5.0.4 on a new ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

  1. Thunderbird Auto Restart

    For the second time in a month, something has happened that will not
    allow me to close thunderbird, and have it stay closed. It auto
    restarts every time, and also at startup. I am running Ver. 1.5.0.4 on
    a new IBM X41 thinkpad. The last time this happened I had to remove
    thunderbird and do a fresh install to resolve it, but with it happening
    a second time I think I need to find the root cause. Is there a
    setting somewhere that I have missed? I am not sure if there is a
    connection, but something is also hijacking my homepage setting in
    Firefox and restting it to www.msn.com. I have run multiple scanners
    and cannot find any trace of a virus or worm. Thanks, Gary

  2. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    gtougas@gmail.com wrote:

    > For the second time in a month, something has happened that will not
    > allow me to close thunderbird, and have it stay closed. It auto
    > restarts every time, and also at startup. I am running Ver. 1.5.0.4 on
    > a new IBM X41 thinkpad. The last time this happened I had to remove
    > thunderbird and do a fresh install to resolve it, but with it happening
    > a second time I think I need to find the root cause. Is there a
    > setting somewhere that I have missed? I am not sure if there is a
    > connection, but something is also hijacking my homepage setting in
    > Firefox and restting it to www.msn.com. I have run multiple scanners
    > and cannot find any trace of a virus or worm. Thanks, Gary

    what extensions have you got installed that will re-open TB when closed?

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #6: Is it true that in Russia, a KGB
    keyboard has no escape key?

  3. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    I am not sure which extensions would cause TB to re-open, but I have
    Talkback, Mozilla Calendar, Contacts Sidebar, GMailUI, and Remove
    Duplicate Messages installed. If one of these is the problem, I will
    remove it.

    gwtc wrote:
    > gtougas@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > For the second time in a month, something has happened that will not
    > > allow me to close thunderbird, and have it stay closed. It auto
    > > restarts every time, and also at startup. I am running Ver. 1.5.0.4 on
    > > a new IBM X41 thinkpad. The last time this happened I had to remove
    > > thunderbird and do a fresh install to resolve it, but with it happening
    > > a second time I think I need to find the root cause. Is there a
    > > setting somewhere that I have missed? I am not sure if there is a
    > > connection, but something is also hijacking my homepage setting in
    > > Firefox and restting it to www.msn.com. I have run multiple scanners
    > > and cannot find any trace of a virus or worm. Thanks, Gary
    > >

    > what extensions have you got installed that will re-open TB when closed?
    >
    > --
    > Computer Points to Ponder #6: Is it true that in Russia, a KGB
    > keyboard has no escape key?

  4. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    gtougas@gmail.com wrote:

    > I am not sure which extensions would cause TB to re-open, but I have
    > Talkback, Mozilla Calendar, Contacts Sidebar, GMailUI, and Remove
    > Duplicate Messages installed. If one of these is the problem, I will
    > remove it.

    please bottom post within these newsgroups. That is place your
    message below the replied to message, as I'm doing here.

    Extension, beats me. Close TB and start it in Safe Mode. Click on
    Start, Programs Mozilla Thunderbird and you should see an icon there
    for Thunderbird Safe Mode. Will will disable all themes and
    extensions. Does the problem continue in Safe Mode? If not, then
    click on Tools, Extensions, and right click on each entry and disable
    them. Restart TB and see if the problem continues. If not, then
    enable each one, one by one until you find your criminal extension.

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #6: Is it true that in Russia, a KGB
    keyboard has no escape key?

  5. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    gwtc wrote:
    > gtougas@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > I am not sure which extensions would cause TB to re-open, but I have
    > > Talkback, Mozilla Calendar, Contacts Sidebar, GMailUI, and Remove
    > > Duplicate Messages installed. If one of these is the problem, I will
    > > remove it.
    > >

    > please bottom post within these newsgroups. That is place your
    > message below the replied to message, as I'm doing here.
    >
    > Extension, beats me. Close TB and start it in Safe Mode. Click on
    > Start, Programs Mozilla Thunderbird and you should see an icon there
    > for Thunderbird Safe Mode. Will will disable all themes and
    > extensions. Does the problem continue in Safe Mode? If not, then
    > click on Tools, Extensions, and right click on each entry and disable
    > them. Restart TB and see if the problem continues. If not, then
    > enable each one, one by one until you find your criminal extension.

    The problem with your proposed solution is that I cannot shut TB down
    long enough to restart it in safe mode. The auto restart is too quick.
    Failing that I have removed all extensions and the problem remains.
    > --
    > Computer Points to Ponder #6: Is it true that in Russia, a KGB
    > keyboard has no escape key?

  6. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    gwtc typed the following on 6/12/2006 3:36 PM:
    > gtougas@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I am not sure which extensions would cause TB to re-open, but I have
    >> Talkback, Mozilla Calendar, Contacts Sidebar, GMailUI, and Remove
    >> Duplicate Messages installed. If one of these is the problem, I will
    >> remove it.
    >>

    > please bottom post within these newsgroups. That is place your
    > message below the replied to message, as I'm doing here.
    >
    > Extension, beats me. Close TB and start it in Safe Mode. Click on
    > Start, Programs Mozilla Thunderbird and you should see an icon there
    > for Thunderbird Safe Mode.

    In WIndows, it says "Mozilla Thunderbird (No Extensions)".

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    Treat everyone the way you want to be treated.

  7. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > gwtc typed the following on 6/12/2006 3:36 PM:
    > > gtougas@gmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > >> I am not sure which extensions would cause TB to re-open, but I have
    > >> Talkback, Mozilla Calendar, Contacts Sidebar, GMailUI, and Remove
    > >> Duplicate Messages installed. If one of these is the problem, I will
    > >> remove it.
    > >>

    > > please bottom post within these newsgroups. That is place your
    > > message below the replied to message, as I'm doing here.
    > >
    > > Extension, beats me. Close TB and start it in Safe Mode. Click on
    > > Start, Programs Mozilla Thunderbird and you should see an icon there
    > > for Thunderbird Safe Mode.

    > In WIndows, it says "Mozilla Thunderbird (No Extensions)".
    >
    > --

    This problem is very vexing. I cannot close TB, and have it stay
    closed, long enough to to do this. It restarts immediately after
    shutting it down. I have removed all extensions and themes and it is
    no better.
    > Pete Holsberg
    > Columbus, NJ
    >
    > Treat everyone the way you want to be treated.
    >

    > --

  8. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    gtougas@gmail.com nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 13/06/2006 18:50:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >> gwtc typed the following on 6/12/2006 3:36 PM:
    >> In WIndows, it says "Mozilla Thunderbird (No Extensions)".
    >>
    >> --

    > This problem is very vexing. I cannot close TB, and have it stay
    > closed, long enough to to do this. It restarts immediately after
    > shutting it down. I have removed all extensions and themes and it is
    > no better.
    >> Pete Holsberg
    >> Columbus, NJ
    >>
    >> Treat everyone the way you want to be treated.
    >>

    >> --

    You may copy the shortcut to the desktop. You then close TB and immediately start from the desktop
    icon. It should be possible to do that fast enough.

    Alain

  9. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    gtougas@gmail.com wrote:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >
    >>gwtc typed the following on 6/12/2006 3:36 PM:

    >>>please bottom post within these newsgroups. That is place your
    >>>message below the replied to message, as I'm doing here.
    >>>
    >>>Extension, beats me. Close TB and start it in Safe Mode. Click on
    >>>Start, Programs Mozilla Thunderbird and you should see an icon there
    >>>for Thunderbird Safe Mode.

    >>In WIndows, it says "Mozilla Thunderbird (No Extensions)".
    >>
    >>--

    > This problem is very vexing. I cannot close TB, and have it stay
    > closed, long enough to to do this. It restarts immediately after
    > shutting it down. I have removed all extensions and themes and it is
    > no better.

    what happens when you reboot the computer.

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #7: Why do most software developers call
    bugs they can't fix, features?

  10. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    Pete Holsberg wrote:

    > gwtc typed the following on 6/12/2006 3:36 PM:
    >
    >>gtougas@gmail.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>I am not sure which extensions would cause TB to re-open, but I have
    >>>Talkback, Mozilla Calendar, Contacts Sidebar, GMailUI, and Remove
    >>>Duplicate Messages installed. If one of these is the problem, I will
    >>>remove it.
    >>>

    >>please bottom post within these newsgroups. That is place your
    >>message below the replied to message, as I'm doing here.
    >>
    >>Extension, beats me. Close TB and start it in Safe Mode. Click on
    >>Start, Programs Mozilla Thunderbird and you should see an icon there
    >>for Thunderbird Safe Mode.

    > In WIndows, it says "Mozilla Thunderbird (No Extensions)".

    in windows, it says "Mozilla Thunderbird Safe Mode 1.5

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #7: Why do most software developers call
    bugs they can't fix, features?

  11. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    gwtc typed the following on 6/13/2006 7:07 PM:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc typed the following on 6/12/2006 3:36 PM:

    >>> please bottom post within these newsgroups. That is place your
    >>> message below the replied to message, as I'm doing here.
    >>>
    >>> Extension, beats me. Close TB and start it in Safe Mode. Click on
    >>> Start, Programs Mozilla Thunderbird and you should see an icon there
    >>> for Thunderbird Safe Mode.

    >> In WIndows, it says "Mozilla Thunderbird (No Extensions)".
    >>

    > in windows, it says "Mozilla Thunderbird Safe Mode 1.5

    Start > All Programs > Mozilla Thunderbird > Mozilla Thunderbird
    (No Extensions)"

    I kid you not!

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    "Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority
    off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more."
    -- Mark Twain

  12. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > gwtc typed the following on 6/13/2006 7:07 PM:
    >
    >>Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>

    >>>gwtc typed the following on 6/12/2006 3:36 PM:

    >>>In WIndows, it says "Mozilla Thunderbird (No Extensions)".
    >>>

    >>in windows, it says "Mozilla Thunderbird Safe Mode 1.5

    > Start > All Programs > Mozilla Thunderbird > Mozilla Thunderbird
    > (No Extensions)"
    >
    > I kid you not!

    well in mine to start it in safe mode I click on the one that says
    "Mozilla Thunderbird Safe Mode 1.5"

    To start TB I click on the one that says "Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5" and
    nothing else

    I kid YOU not!!!! :-)

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #7: Why do most software developers call
    bugs they can't fix, features?

  13. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    gwtc typed the following on 6/13/2006 7:26 PM:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >> gwtc typed the following on 6/13/2006 7:07 PM:
    >>>>
    >>> in windows, it says "Mozilla Thunderbird Safe Mode 1.5

    >> Start > All Programs > Mozilla Thunderbird > Mozilla Thunderbird
    >> (No Extensions)"
    >>
    >> I kid you not!

    > well in mine to start it in safe mode I click on the one that says
    > "Mozilla Thunderbird Safe Mode 1.5"
    >
    > To start TB I click on the one that says "Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5" and
    > nothing else
    >
    > I kid YOU not!!!! :-)

    I have 1.5.0.4 (20060516). What do you have?

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    To be able under all circumstances to practice five things
    constitutes perfect virtue; these five things are gravity,
    generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
    --Confucius

  14. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    Pete Holsberg wrote:

    > gwtc typed the following on 6/13/2006 7:26 PM:
    >
    >>Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>
    >>>gwtc typed the following on 6/13/2006 7:07 PM:

    >>>Start > All Programs > Mozilla Thunderbird > Mozilla Thunderbird
    >>>(No Extensions)"
    >>>
    >>>I kid you not!

    >>well in mine to start it in safe mode I click on the one that says
    >>"Mozilla Thunderbird Safe Mode 1.5"
    >>
    >>To start TB I click on the one that says "Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5" and
    >>nothing else
    >>
    >>I kid YOU not!!!! :-)

    > I have 1.5.0.4 (20060516). What do you have?

    1.5.0.4 20060508

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #8: Just where is the "any" key anyway? See
    http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=anykey0eh.jpg for details.

  15. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 14/06/2006 1:11 PM:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >> gwtc typed the following on 6/13/2006 7:26 PM:
    >>
    >>> well in mine to start it in safe mode I click on the one that says
    >>> "Mozilla Thunderbird Safe Mode 1.5"
    >>>
    >>> To start TB I click on the one that says "Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5"
    >>> and nothing else
    >>>
    >>> I kid YOU not!!!! :-)

    >> I have 1.5.0.4 (20060516). What do you have?
    >>

    > 1.5.0.4 20060508

    You sure you didn't check the Firefox 1.5.0.4 build id, instead of
    Thunderbird 1.5.0.4 build id? ;-)
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  16. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    gwtc typed the following on 6/14/2006 1:11 PM:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:

    >> I have 1.5.0.4 (20060516). What do you have?
    >>

    > 1.5.0.4 20060508

    So mine is 8 days newer than yours???

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    "Only a mediocre person is always at his best."
    -- W. Somerset Maugham

  17. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    Chris Ilias typed the following on 6/14/2006 6:20 PM:
    > _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 14/06/2006 1:11 PM:
    >> Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>> gwtc typed the following on 6/13/2006 7:26 PM:

    >>> I have 1.5.0.4 (20060516). What do you have?
    >>>

    >> 1.5.0.4 20060508

    > You sure you didn't check the Firefox 1.5.0.4 build id, instead of
    > Thunderbird 1.5.0.4 build id? ;-)

    How do you find the build ID for FF?

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get
    old. All you have to do is live long enough.
    --Groucho Marx

  18. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 14/06/2006 1:11 PM:
    >
    >>Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>
    >>>gwtc typed the following on 6/13/2006 7:26 PM:

    >>>I have 1.5.0.4 (20060516). What do you have?
    >>>

    >>1.5.0.4 20060508

    > You sure you didn't check the Firefox 1.5.0.4 build id, instead of
    > Thunderbird 1.5.0.4 build id? ;-)

    Oh, you're right again Chris. My TB is 1.5.0.4 (20060516)

    So, tell us Chris [or anyone else], which is correct for the Safe Mode
    icon. Does it say Mozilla Thunderbird [with no extension] as Pete
    says. Or does it say Mozilla Thunderbird Safe Mode as my icon says.

    Inquiring minds need to know. :-)

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #8: Just where is the "any" key anyway? See
    http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=anykey0eh.jpg for details.

  19. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    gwtc nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 14/06/2006 19:46:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 14/06/2006 1:11 PM:
    >>

    >> You sure you didn't check the Firefox 1.5.0.4 build id, instead of
    >> Thunderbird 1.5.0.4 build id? ;-)

    > Oh, you're right again Chris. My TB is 1.5.0.4 (20060516)
    >
    > So, tell us Chris [or anyone else], which is correct for the Safe Mode
    > icon. Does it say Mozilla Thunderbird [with no extension] as Pete
    > says. Or does it say Mozilla Thunderbird Safe Mode as my icon says.
    >
    > Inquiring minds need to know. :-)

    I have, in this order:
    Mozilla Thunderbird
    Mozilla Thunderbird (No Extention)
    Mozilla Thunderbird (Safe Mode) <--- copy this one to your desktop for faster access

    Alain

  20. Re: Thunderbird Auto Restart

    gwtc typed the following on 6/14/2006 7:46 PM:

    > So, tell us Chris [or anyone else], which is correct for the Safe Mode
    > icon. Does it say Mozilla Thunderbird [with no extension] as Pete
    > says. Or does it say Mozilla Thunderbird Safe Mode as my icon says.

    Icon? What icon? My programs are in a list, each having a tiny icon.

    However, just to be congruent, I changed With No Extensions to
    Safe Mode.