How to do a COMPLETE uninstall ? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to do a COMPLETE uninstall ? - Mozilla ; Hi all... I gave up on TB because for some reason, it was taking almost 10 seconds to delete emails. Obviously, somewhere along the line something got corrupted and uninstalling/reinstalling did not fix it. Can anyone tell me how to ...

  1. How to do a COMPLETE uninstall ?

    Hi all...
    I gave up on TB because for some reason, it was taking almost 10 seconds to
    delete emails. Obviously, somewhere along the line something got corrupted
    and uninstalling/reinstalling did not fix it.
    Can anyone tell me how to completely remove the program (leaving the
    existing files and folders) so I might be able to try it again without that
    frustration? TB's uninstall and MS XP's program uninstallers did not fix the
    problem.

    Thanks for any help!
    JJ

  2. Re: How to do a COMPLETE uninstall ?

    John wrote:

    > Hi all...
    > I gave up on TB because for some reason, it was taking almost 10 seconds to
    > delete emails. Obviously, somewhere along the line something got corrupted
    > and uninstalling/reinstalling did not fix it.
    > Can anyone tell me how to completely remove the program (leaving the
    > existing files and folders) so I might be able to try it again without that
    > frustration? TB's uninstall and MS XP's program uninstallers did not fix the
    > problem.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    > JJ

    First, stop uninstalling and reinstalling. That's not the problem.
    All your settings, mail, passwords, etc, are in an area called your
    profile. The problem is within your profile. When you uninstall, all
    you're doing is removing the program. Your profile is not touched.

    Now, your problem. First, close TB. Then using your file manager
    locate the mail section within your profile and delete all the *.msf
    files. To locate your profile, you can read this:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/thund...profile#locate

    but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #4: How do you press F1 when your PC has a
    keyboard error or no keyboard present?

  3. Re: How to do a COMPLETE uninstall ?

    John wrote:
    > Hi all...
    > I gave up on TB because for some reason, it was taking almost 10 seconds to
    > delete emails. Obviously, somewhere along the line something got corrupted
    > and uninstalling/reinstalling did not fix it.
    > Can anyone tell me how to completely remove the program (leaving the
    > existing files and folders) so I might be able to try it again without that
    > frustration? TB's uninstall and MS XP's program uninstallers did not fix the
    > problem.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    > JJ

    That's because the problem is in the database, which is in the profile,
    which isn't affected by uninstall. Fix the problem!
    First, try compacting the folder. If that doesn't work, try deleting
    the .msf files for each inbox that is causing the delay.

  4. Re: How to do a COMPLETE uninstall ?

    Hi all...
    I had done that many, many times, but did it again. I agree, the problem is
    with the database (I think specifically with my old inbox (now renamed "old
    Inox). I will now stop fiddling with the old mail, and hope the new inbox
    will behave.
    Thanks
    John

    "John" wrote in message
    > Hi all...
    > I gave up on TB because for some reason, it was taking almost 10 seconds
    > to delete emails. Obviously, somewhere along the line something got
    > corrupted and uninstalling/reinstalling did not fix it.
    > Can anyone tell me how to completely remove the program (leaving the
    > existing files and folders) so I might be able to try it again without
    > that frustration? TB's uninstall and MS XP's program uninstallers did not
    > fix the problem.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    > JJ

+ Reply to Thread