Display of quote marks - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Display of quote marks - Mozilla ; I've searched googlegroups for the answer, but I may well be using the wrong search terms. In newsgroups, the quoted portions of text show up with coloured bars in front of them. I would like them to show up with ...

  1. Display of quote marks

    I've searched googlegroups for the answer, but I may well be using the
    wrong search terms.

    In newsgroups, the quoted portions of text show up with coloured bars in
    front of them.

    I would like them to show up with the old-fashioned ">" in front of them.

    Where do I go to change the coloured bars to the old style quotes?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: Display of quote marks

    _Gwenhyffar Milgi_ spoke thusly on 09/06/2006 4:27 PM:
    > I've searched googlegroups for the answer, but I may well be using the
    > wrong search terms.
    >
    > In newsgroups, the quoted portions of text show up with coloured bars in
    > front of them.
    >
    > I would like them to show up with the old-fashioned ">" in front of them.
    >
    > Where do I go to change the coloured bars to the old style quotes?

    There are a couple of ways of doing it.

    Go to Tools-->Options-->Advanced-->General, and click on "Config Editor".
    Look for the preference |mail.quoted_graphical|. Double-click on it,
    which should set its value to false.
    Look for the preference |mail.quoteasblock|. Double-click on it, which
    should set its value to false.
    Look for the preference
    |mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support|. Double-click on it,
    which should set its value to true.

    OR

    Install the QuoteColors extension, which will gives you the option in
    the form of a checkbox.
    http://quotecolors.mozdev.org/
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  3. Re: Display of quote marks

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Gwenhyffar Milgi_ spoke thusly on 09/06/2006 4:27 PM:
    >> I've searched googlegroups for the answer, but I may well be using the
    >> wrong search terms.
    >>
    >> In newsgroups, the quoted portions of text show up with coloured bars in
    >> front of them.
    >>
    >> I would like them to show up with the old-fashioned ">" in front of them.
    >>
    >> Where do I go to change the coloured bars to the old style quotes?

    > There are a couple of ways of doing it.
    >
    > Go to Tools-->Options-->Advanced-->General, and click on "Config Editor".
    > Look for the preference |mail.quoted_graphical|. Double-click on it,
    > which should set its value to false.
    > Look for the preference |mail.quoteasblock|. Double-click on it, which
    > should set its value to false.
    > Look for the preference
    > |mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support|. Double-click on it,
    > which should set its value to true.

    That option gives me the quotes I want, but only up to a certain level.
    Then it starts showing the colour bars again.

    > OR
    >
    > Install the QuoteColors extension, which will gives you the option in
    > the form of a checkbox.
    > http://quotecolors.mozdev.org/

    That one tells me it won't install because it's not compatible with firefox.

    I'm confused!

  4. Re: Display of quote marks

    _Gwenhyffar Milgi_ spoke thusly on 09/06/2006 4:55 PM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> Install the QuoteColors extension, which will gives you the option in
    >> the form of a checkbox.
    >> http://quotecolors.mozdev.org/

    > That one tells me it won't install because it's not compatible with
    > firefox.
    >
    > I'm confused!

    As the download page says, "Right-click on the following download link
    and save the xpi-file to your disk."

    After that, In Thunderbird, go to Tools-->Extension, and click on
    "Install". Pick the XPI you just downloaded.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  5. Re: Display of quote marks

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > Install the QuoteColors extension, which will gives you the option in
    > the form of a checkbox.
    > http://quotecolors.mozdev.org/

    That's working now, I shut down and restarted and then it installed it.

    Quotecolours is lovely, thank you!

  6. Re: Display of quote marks

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Gwenhyffar Milgi_ spoke thusly on 09/06/2006 4:55 PM:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>> Install the QuoteColors extension, which will gives you the option in
    >>> the form of a checkbox.
    >>> http://quotecolors.mozdev.org/

    >> That one tells me it won't install because it's not compatible with
    >> firefox.
    >>
    >> I'm confused!

    > As the download page says, "Right-click on the following download link
    > and save the xpi-file to your disk."
    >
    > After that, In Thunderbird, go to Tools-->Extension, and click on
    > "Install". Pick the XPI you just downloaded.

    Yeah, I did that, but my machine was being wonky.

+ Reply to Thread