sorting emails grouped "by conversation" - and watch news? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on sorting emails grouped "by conversation" - and watch news? - Mozilla ; Hi Thanks for a great program I just have 2 minor issues: 1: When I collapse the list of emails "by conversation" they are always sorted by the time of the _first_ email. It would be nice if the conversation ...

  1. sorting emails grouped "by conversation" - and watch news?

    Hi

    Thanks for a great program I just have 2 minor issues:

    1: When I collapse the list of emails "by conversation" they are always
    sorted by the time of the _first_ email. It would be nice if the
    conversation was sorted by the _newest_ email - is this possible now?

    2: When I post to a newsgroup, Outlook Express has a nice "watch"
    feature highlighting the whole conversation in case of unread items. Is
    this possible in TB?

    If the above is not available as of today I would definately like to see
    them in the future...

    Nice work

    Ask

  2. Re: sorting emails grouped "by conversation" - and watch news?

    Ask Josephsen wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Thanks for a great program I just have 2 minor issues:
    >
    > 1: When I collapse the list of emails "by conversation" they are always
    > sorted by the time of the _first_ email. It would be nice if the
    > conversation was sorted by the _newest_ email - is this possible now?
    >
    > 2: When I post to a newsgroup, Outlook Express has a nice "watch"
    > feature highlighting the whole conversation in case of unread items. Is
    > this possible in TB?
    >
    > If the above is not available as of today I would definately like to see
    > them in the future...
    >
    > Nice work
    >
    > Ask

    'Conversations' are commonly referred to as 'Threads'
    You should be able to sort by Threads by order received Descending to get
    what you want (sorted by latest reply time) use the View menu

    You have Watch Threads, with the companion View
    Watched Threads with Unread, which sounds exactly what you are looking for.

  3. Re: sorting emails grouped "by conversation" - and watch news?

    Ask Josephsen wrote:
    > 1: When I collapse the list of emails "by conversation" they are always
    > sorted by the time of the _first_ email. It would be nice if the
    > conversation was sorted by the _newest_ email - is this possible now?

    If sorting by date is in fact turned on, it should be ordering threads
    by the newest message in the thread (altho it won't automatically
    re-order when a newer message arrives).

    TB has a tendency to change the sort order to "by Order Received" when
    you enter into a threaded view. This is similar to "by Date" but not
    exactly the same, and the sorting (as for every other category but date)
    is based on the topmost message in the thread.

    You can use the menu View | Sort By | Date to fix this. Even better,
    if you set this preference to false:
    mailnews.thread_pane_column_unthreads
    -- then you can resort by date by clicking on the header, without having
    Threaded mode turned off as a side effect.

  4. Re: sorting emails grouped "by conversation" - and watch news?

    Mike Cowperthwaite skrev:
    > Ask Josephsen wrote:
    >> 1: When I collapse the list of emails "by conversation" they are
    >> always sorted by the time of the _first_ email. It would be nice if
    >> the conversation was sorted by the _newest_ email - is this possible now?

    > You can use the menu View | Sort By | Date to fix this. Even better,
    > if you set this preference to false:
    > mailnews.thread_pane_column_unthreads
    > -- then you can resort by date by clicking on the header, without having
    > Threaded mode turned off as a side effect.

    Works! only little issue is, I have to manually "resort by date" to
    get conversation with the newest entry in front.

    Thanks

  5. Re: sorting emails grouped "by conversation" - and watch news?

    MC (temp) Dan [no email] skrev:

    > Ask Josephsen wrote:
    >>
    >> 2: When I post to a newsgroup, Outlook Express has a nice "watch"
    >> feature highlighting the whole conversation in case of unread items. Is
    >> this possible in TB?

    > You have Watch Threads, with the companion View
    > Watched Threads with Unread, which sounds exactly what you are looking for.

    "companion view" ?? I found a column in the threads view "Unread
    messages in thread", but I can't see it helps me.

    ../ask

  6. Re: sorting emails grouped "by conversation" - and watch news?

    _Ask Josephsen_ spoke thusly on 15/06/2006 7:13 AM:
    > MC (temp) Dan [no email] skrev:
    >
    >> You have Watch Threads, with the companion View
    >> Watched Threads with Unread, which sounds exactly what you are looking
    >> for.

    > "companion view" ??

    The line break just throws the sentence off. Read it as "with the
    companion: 'View Watched Threads with Unread'." :-)
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator