Font size problems - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Font size problems - Mozilla ; Hi all I have a very annoying problem with my font settings. I'm on the latest version of Tbird, and send and recieve emails in HTML format. Here's the problem: What I see in the compose window doesn't match what ...

  1. Font size problems

    Hi all

    I have a very annoying problem with my font settings. I'm on the latest
    version of Tbird, and send and recieve emails in HTML format.

    Here's the problem:
    What I see in the compose window doesn't match what arrives in the
    recipient's inbox. I realise there are different settings that can
    affect what you see when you compose an email but I've tweaked all of these.

    Here's my settings:

    Options>Composition>HTML options: Font=Verdana Size=small
    (from my experiments this results in something approaching 9 or 10point
    text for the recipient, which is what I want to compose in)

    BUT, in order to keep it that size for the recipient I've found that I
    cannot compose emails in the same size font - if I try to up the size of
    the font I view when I compose it increases the size of the font that
    the recipient sees.
    The flawed workaround, then, is to have to have the following settings
    in my Options>Fonts settings:

    Proportional: Serif. Size=13
    Serif: Verdana
    Sans-serif: Verdana
    Min font size: none.

    Which, (oddly for 13pixels!), results in a tiny font in my composition
    window (looks something like 7pt text)! The recipient gets a nice 9-10pt
    font, but at my end the tiny font is too small for me to use. Besides, I
    want to see what my recipient is going to end up seeing...

    If I alter any of the above Options>Font settings (which the TB help
    site tells me should only alter the view I have locally, and not the
    actual font that is recieved) the recipient gets a hopelessly oversized
    font..

    I have double checked the HTML font options afterwards to make sure it
    hasn't been affected by the Options>Fonts changes, but it's still set to
    'small', so why on earth do people get something larger just because
    I've changed the way I view my composition/emails locally?

    Please can someone give me a clue as to what is going on? Is it time to
    uninstall/reinstall?
    Basically, all I want if for my composition window to match the font
    size that is actually sent - pretty simple 'feature' I would have thought!

    Many thanks in advance

    Chris

  2. Re: Font size problems

    Chris wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I have a very annoying problem with my font settings. I'm on the latest
    > version of Tbird, and send and recieve emails in HTML format.
    >
    > Here's the problem:
    > What I see in the compose window doesn't match what arrives in the
    > recipient's inbox. I realise there are different settings that can
    > affect what you see when you compose an email but I've tweaked all of these.
    >
    > Here's my settings:
    >
    > Options>Composition>HTML options: Font=Verdana Size=small
    > (from my experiments this results in something approaching 9 or 10point
    > text for the recipient, which is what I want to compose in)
    >
    > BUT, in order to keep it that size for the recipient I've found that I
    > cannot compose emails in the same size font - if I try to up the size of
    > the font I view when I compose it increases the size of the font that
    > the recipient sees.
    > The flawed workaround, then, is to have to have the following settings
    > in my Options>Fonts settings:
    >
    > Proportional: Serif. Size=13
    > Serif: Verdana
    > Sans-serif: Verdana
    > Min font size: none.
    >
    > Which, (oddly for 13pixels!), results in a tiny font in my composition
    > window (looks something like 7pt text)! The recipient gets a nice 9-10pt
    > font, but at my end the tiny font is too small for me to use. Besides, I
    > want to see what my recipient is going to end up seeing...
    >
    > If I alter any of the above Options>Font settings (which the TB help
    > site tells me should only alter the view I have locally, and not the
    > actual font that is recieved) the recipient gets a hopelessly oversized
    > font..
    >
    > I have double checked the HTML font options afterwards to make sure it
    > hasn't been affected by the Options>Fonts changes, but it's still set to
    > 'small', so why on earth do people get something larger just because
    > I've changed the way I view my composition/emails locally?
    >
    > Please can someone give me a clue as to what is going on? Is it time to
    > uninstall/reinstall?
    > Basically, all I want if for my composition window to match the font
    > size that is actually sent - pretty simple 'feature' I would have thought!
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    >
    > Chris

    Computers are WYSISYG - but they are NOT WYSIWTG (what you see is what THEY
    get)

    When it comes to fonts, unless the recipients has the exact same fonts as you
    (and in applicable sizes dependent on format), they will simply NOT see the
    message as you sent it. In most cases you can alleviate the problems somewhat
    by using more or less 'standard' fonts, but you wont be able to eliminate
    them completely.

    Um, and you seem quite unclear on how things work effectively. Perhaps I
    misunderstood. When you changed your view settings then ALL messages viewed
    afterwards would be seen using the new view settings - REGARDLESS of how they
    were sent. For example, it doesnt matter if you sent the message in a 12 pt
    font (pretty small) - if you have you view settings set to show a 16pt, then
    thats what you see!

    Since anyone else can likewise 'change' the font/size of a message in the
    messages they receive, you can perhaps now see the problem... there is simply
    NO means of ensuring absolutely that what you send is what they see.

  3. Re: Font size problems

    Chris wrote:

    > Hi all
    >

    > I have a very annoying problem with my font settings. I'm on the latest
    > version of Tbird, and send and recieve emails in HTML format.
    >
    > Here's the problem:
    > What I see in the compose window doesn't match what arrives in the
    > recipient's inbox. I realise there are different settings that can
    > affect what you see when you compose an email but I've tweaked all of these.
    >
    > Here's my settings:
    >
    > Options>Composition>HTML options: Font=Verdana Size=small
    > (from my experiments this results in something approaching 9 or 10point
    > text for the recipient, which is what I want to compose in)
    >
    > BUT, in order to keep it that size for the recipient I've found that I
    > cannot compose emails in the same size font - if I try to up the size of
    > the font I view when I compose it increases the size of the font that
    > the recipient sees.
    > The flawed workaround, then, is to have to have the following settings
    > in my Options>Fonts settings:
    >
    > Proportional: Serif. Size=13
    > Serif: Verdana
    > Sans-serif: Verdana
    > Min font size: none.
    >
    > Which, (oddly for 13pixels!), results in a tiny font in my composition
    > window (looks something like 7pt text)! The recipient gets a nice 9-10pt
    > font, but at my end the tiny font is too small for me to use. Besides, I
    > want to see what my recipient is going to end up seeing...
    >
    > If I alter any of the above Options>Font settings (which the TB help
    > site tells me should only alter the view I have locally, and not the
    > actual font that is recieved) the recipient gets a hopelessly oversized
    > font..
    >
    > I have double checked the HTML font options afterwards to make sure it
    > hasn't been affected by the Options>Fonts changes, but it's still set to
    > 'small', so why on earth do people get something larger just because
    > I've changed the way I view my composition/emails locally?
    >
    > Please can someone give me a clue as to what is going on? Is it time to
    > uninstall/reinstall?
    > Basically, all I want if for my composition window to match the font
    > size that is actually sent - pretty simple 'feature' I would have thought!
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    >
    > Chris

    maybe the receiver is set to receive text only. OR, the receiver
    doesn't have the fonts you're using

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #2: How come programmers find it so easy to
    master the special language that runs computers, yet those same folks

  4. Re: Font size problems

    * Chris wrote, On 06/08/2006 06:13 PM:
    > Hi all
    >

    > I have a very annoying problem with my font settings. I'm on the latest
    > version of Tbird, and send and recieve emails in HTML format.
    >
    > Here's the problem:
    > What I see in the compose window doesn't match what arrives in the
    > recipient's inbox. I realise there are different settings that can
    > affect what you see when you compose an email but I've tweaked all of
    > these.

    TB's HTML composition is not based on styles; AFAIK it uses ,
    and tags which all create _relative_ effects.
    I suggest you examine the sources of your messages (Ctrl-U) to see what
    happens as you select smaller, medium, larger, etc

  5. Re: Font size problems

    Chris wrote:
    > I have a very annoying problem with my font settings. I'm on the latest
    > version of Tbird, and send and recieve emails in HTML format.

    There's your problem: stop sending email in HTML format. Just send
    text messages. If you have something which absolutely must be
    formatted, send it as an attachment, or provide a link to a site where
    that something is stored. And even then, don't specify font size: let
    the recipient view it in whichever font size THEY prefer, not some size
    that YOU have arbitrarily set.

  6. Re: Font size problems

    _Chris_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 11:13 AM:
    > I have a very annoying problem with my font settings. I'm on the latest
    > version of Tbird,

    According to your headers, you're using Thunderbird 1.0.7. The latest
    version is 1.5.0.4.
    It's always better to state the actual version number, rather than
    assume you're using the latest. :-)
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator