having trouble installing thunderbird properly - Mozilla

This is a discussion on having trouble installing thunderbird properly - Mozilla ; Hello, everyone. Last night I downloaded and installed thunderbird for the first time. Now when I alt f-4 to get out of the program and then go back into it, I get a dialog asking me to install it again. ...

  1. having trouble installing thunderbird properly

    Hello, everyone. Last night I downloaded and installed thunderbird for the first time. Now when I alt f-4 to get out of the program and then go back into it, I get a dialog asking me to install it again. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have followed all the instructions for instalation just like I did for all other programs I've installed but I don't know what to do next. I'd appreciate any feedback you could give to me. Thank you in advance.
    Rosemarie

  2. Re: having trouble installing thunderbird properly

    Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
    > Hello, everyone. Last night I downloaded and installed thunderbird
    > for the first time. Now when I alt f-4 to get out of the program and
    > then go back into it, I get a dialog asking me to install it again.
    > I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have followed all the
    > instructions for instalation just like I did for all other programs
    > I've installed but I don't know what to do next. I'd appreciate any
    > feedback you could give to me. Thank you in advance. Rosemarie

    Are you sure the message tells you to "install" TB; I suspect it tells
    you to "create a profile". Try the following:

    Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up Task Manager. Click on the column labeled
    "User Name" to show your running processes. If Thunderbird is listed
    click on it and then click on "End Process" near bottom right of screen.

    Next, use Windows Explorer to look at your profile[1]. If the file
    "parent.lock" exists, delete it.

    [1]For Profile Locations see:

    http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/edit#profile

    Windows users should also see:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    Managing TB Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile
    Managing FF Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

  3. Re: having trouble installing thunderbird properly

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
    >> Hello, everyone. Last night I downloaded and installed thunderbird
    >> for the first time. Now when I alt f-4 to get out of the program and
    >> then go back into it, I get a dialog asking me to install it again.
    >> I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have followed all the
    >> instructions for instalation just like I did for all other programs
    >> I've installed but I don't know what to do next. I'd appreciate any
    >> feedback you could give to me. Thank you in advance. Rosemarie

    > Are you sure the message tells you to "install" TB; I suspect it tells
    > you to "create a profile". Try the following:
    >
    > Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up Task Manager. Click on the column labeled
    > "User Name" to show your running processes. If Thunderbird is listed
    > click on it and then click on "End Process" near bottom right of screen.
    >
    > Next, use Windows Explorer to look at your profile[1]. If the file
    > "parent.lock" exists, delete it.
    >
    > [1]For Profile Locations see:
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/edit#profile
    >
    > Windows users should also see:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

    Rosemarie wrote:

    "Hi, Erwin. I tried what you suggestes but it didn't work. What else
    should I try?
    Rosemarie"

    What do you do to start Thunderbird (e.g., click on a desktop icon)?
    Quote the exact message you receive when you attempt to start Thunderbird.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    Managing TB Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile
    Managing FF Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

  4. Re: having trouble installing thunderbird properly

    Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
    > Hello, everyone. Last night I downloaded and installed thunderbird for the first time. Now when I alt f-4 to get out of the program and then go back into it, I get a dialog asking me to install it again. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have followed all the instructions for instalation just like I did for all other programs I've installed but I don't know what to do next. I'd appreciate any feedback you could give to me. Thank you in advance.
    > Rosemarie

    Don't use alt-F4 to terminate programs!
    Use the file/exit menu option, or the close window (X) box.

  5. Re: having trouble installing thunderbird properly

    En ce 08/06/2006 03:49, Ron Hunter nous apporta ses lumieres:
    > Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
    >> Hello, everyone. Last night I downloaded and installed thunderbird
    >> for the first time. Now when I alt f-4 to get out of the program and
    >> then go back into it, I get a dialog asking me to install it again. I
    >> don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have followed all the instructions
    >> for instalation just like I did for all other programs I've installed
    >> but I don't know what to do next. I'd appreciate any feedback you
    >> could give to me. Thank you in advance.
    >> Rosemarie

    > Don't use alt-F4 to terminate programs!
    > Use the file/exit menu option, or the close window (X) box.

    Why? I use it all the time and have never encountered any problem, with any programm.

    Alain

+ Reply to Thread