Smileys - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Smileys - Mozilla ; On Wednesday 07 June 2006 16:10, YB wrote: > Hey all i just wanted to ask a question, why don't the Smileys > displayed in TB show up on remote email servers like hotmail or gmail, i > mean they ...

  1. Re: Smileys

    On Wednesday 07 June 2006 16:10, YB wrote:
    > Hey all i just wanted to ask a question, why don't the Smileys
    > displayed in TB show up on remote email servers like hotmail or gmail, i
    > mean they show up as text not graphics. plz help

    The smileys are simply the text you see in Gmail or Hotmail. Thunderbird just
    converts to text strings into the smileys you see in thunderbird.

    wt
    --
    Warren Turkal, Research Associate III/Systems Administrator
    Colorado State University, Dept. of Atmospheric Science

  2. Smileys

    Hey all i just wanted to ask a question, why don't the Smileys
    displayed in TB show up on remote email servers like hotmail or gmail, i
    mean they show up as text not graphics. plz help

  3. Re: Smileys

    YB wrote:

    > Warren Turkal wrote:
    > > The smileys are simply the text you see in Gmail or Hotmail. Thunderbird just
    > > converts to text strings into the smileys you see in thunderbird.
    > >
    > > wt

    > So that means i CAN'T send smileys in TB for people to see? that seems
    > awkward i mean can't TB just send the smileys as graphics? I really want
    > my recipients to see cheerful smileys! lol.

    No, it doesnt mean that at all.

    A 'smiley' is simply text - for example the basic smiley is simply a full
    colon followed by an end parenthesis i.e.

    In email/news applications that are 'emoticon enabled', the text will show a
    graphic, it will REPLACE the text with the applicable graphic when you read
    it. Programs that are not 'emoticon enabled' will see the plain text .

    If you want to send a 'smiley' graphic to someone, you are going to have to
    send in HTML and copy/paste a smiley graphic into the message.
    OR you can 'convince' your friends to upgrade to an email/news client that is
    emoticon enabled

  4. Re: Smileys

    Warren Turkal wrote:
    > The smileys are simply the text you see in Gmail or Hotmail. Thunderbird just
    > converts to text strings into the smileys you see in thunderbird.
    >
    > wt

    So that means i CAN'T send smileys in TB for people to see? that seems
    awkward i mean can't TB just send the smileys as graphics? I really want
    my recipients to see cheerful smileys! lol.

  5. Re: Smileys

    _YB_ spoke thusly on 07/06/2006 7:04 PM:
    > So that means i CAN'T send smileys in TB for people to see? that seems
    > awkward i mean can't TB just send the smileys as graphics? I really want
    > my recipients to see cheerful smileys! lol.

    If the smiley is an image file, you can just insert the image. The
    mailTagger extension will make it easier.

    But the whole point of emoticons is to be able to do everything in plain
    text.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  6. Re: Smileys

    On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 00:10:04 +0200, in message ,
    YB wrote:

    > Hey all i just wanted to ask a question, why don't the Smileys
    > displayed in TB show up on remote email servers like hotmail or gmail, i
    > mean they show up as text not graphics. plz help

    You see that setting in TBird at...

    Tools -> Options -> Display -> Formatting
    [x] Display emoticons as graphics

    If this setting is on then smileys display in your TB as graphics.
    If this setting is off then smileys show up as text not graphics.

    If other people want to see smileys displayed as graphics, they
    have to turn this setting on in their TB or their other email reader.

    I don't know whether hotmail or gmail have a setting to adjust.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "Curiosity skilled the cat."

  7. Re: Smileys

    not disclosed wrote:

    > YB wrote:
    >> Warren Turkal wrote:
    >>> The smileys are simply the text you see in Gmail or Hotmail. Thunderbird just
    >>> converts to text strings into the smileys you see in thunderbird.
    >>>
    >>> wt

    >> So that means i CAN'T send smileys in TB for people to see? that seems
    >> awkward i mean can't TB just send the smileys as graphics? I really want
    >> my recipients to see cheerful smileys! lol.

    > No, it doesnt mean that at all.
    >
    > A 'smiley' is simply text - for example the basic smiley is simply a full
    > colon followed by an end parenthesis i.e.
    >
    > In email/news applications that are 'emoticon enabled', the text will show a
    > graphic, it will REPLACE the text with the applicable graphic when you read
    > it. Programs that are not 'emoticon enabled' will see the plain text .
    >
    > If you want to send a 'smiley' graphic to someone, you are going to have to
    > send in HTML and copy/paste a smiley graphic into the message.
    > OR you can 'convince' your friends to upgrade to an email/news client that is
    > emoticon enabled

    But well isn't Hotmail and Gmail Emoticon Enabled? i mean u CAN send
    Emoticons with Hotmail AND gmail, i guess they ought to have a copy of
    the smiley. Darn that means i can only insert smileys from remote
    images. Darn.

  8. Re: Smileys

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _YB_ spoke thusly on 07/06/2006 7:04 PM:
    >> So that means i CAN'T send smileys in TB for people to see? that seems
    >> awkward i mean can't TB just send the smileys as graphics? I really
    >> want my recipients to see cheerful smileys! lol.

    > If the smiley is an image file, you can just insert the image. The
    > mailTagger extension will make it easier.
    >

    > But the whole point of emoticons is to be able to do everything in plain
    > text.

    i downloaded the extension but i have one more question, why don't the
    default TB emoticons show up too?? i like them lol they r the cutest.if
    anyone knows how i can add them plz tell me.

  9. Re: Smileys

    _YB_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 4:58 AM:
    > But well isn't Hotmail and Gmail Emoticon Enabled? i mean u CAN send
    > Emoticons with Hotmail AND gmail, i guess they ought to have a copy of
    > the smiley. Darn that means i can only insert smileys from remote
    > images. Darn.

    Gmail: no.
    See

    If you add a smiley in Hotmail, it will send the message in HTML format,
    with the smiley sourced as a remote image (on the hotmail server).
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  10. Re: Smileys

    _YB_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 5:10 AM:
    > i downloaded the extension but i have one more question, why don't the
    > default TB emoticons show up too?? i like them lol they r the cutest.if
    > anyone knows how i can add them plz tell me.

    The TB emoticons are part of the theme. If you want the actual image
    files to attach to HTML messages, you can grad them here: