Thunderbird downgrade a disaster - help - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Thunderbird downgrade a disaster - help - Mozilla ; I gave up on 1.5.0.4 and uninstalled it. I re-installed 1.0.7. When I run it I get this message: The procedure entry point NS_Alloc could not be located in the dynamic link library xpcom.dll I get another message about a ...

  1. Thunderbird downgrade a disaster - help

    I gave up on 1.5.0.4 and uninstalled it. I re-installed 1.0.7.

    When I run it I get this message:
    The procedure entry point NS_Alloc could not be located in the dynamic
    link library xpcom.dll

    I get another message about a missing binary, I click Ok and the Tbird
    opens but with absolutely no stylrs - no icons no CSS - it is a friggin
    mess!!

    What should I do now?

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

  2. Re: Thunderbird downgrade a disaster - help

    Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > I gave up on 1.5.0.4 and uninstalled it. I re-installed 1.0.7.
    >
    > When I run it I get this message:
    > The procedure entry point NS_Alloc could not be located in the dynamic
    > link library xpcom.dll
    >
    > I get another message about a missing binary, I click Ok and the Tbird
    > opens but with absolutely no stylrs - no icons no CSS - it is a friggin
    > mess!!
    >
    > What should I do now?

    Uninstall 1.0.7 and *delete the program folder*. Restart your OS. You
    can now install either 1.5.0.4 or 1.0.7.

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    Managing TB Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile
    Managing FF Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

  3. Re: Thunderbird downgrade a disaster - help

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> I gave up on 1.5.0.4 and uninstalled it. I re-installed 1.0.7.
    >>
    >> When I run it I get this message:
    >> The procedure entry point NS_Alloc could not be located in the dynamic
    >> link library xpcom.dll
    >>
    >> I get another message about a missing binary, I click Ok and the Tbird
    >> opens but with absolutely no stylrs - no icons no CSS - it is a friggin
    >> mess!!
    >>
    >> What should I do now?
    >>

    > Uninstall 1.0.7 and *delete the program folder*. Restart your OS. You
    > can now install either 1.5.0.4 or 1.0.7.

    First, I do appreciate the assistance, ... but .....

    I did that (and more) and I still get the same errors.

    So I uninstalled 1.0.7 again, re-installed 1.5.0.4 so I could remove the
    minimize to tray extension, which was indicated in the title banner of
    the error message window (see above - "The procedure entry point
    NS_Alloc could not be located in the dynamic link library xpcom.dll").

    After doing that, I uninstalled 1.5.0.4, deleted the Mozilla Thunderbird
    program folder and re-installed 1.0.7. Now I do not get the error
    message, but I get no menus, no messages, no message folders, and no
    tool icons. I can do nothing.

    So, ... I uninstalled 1.0.7, deleted the program folder, and
    re-installed 1.5.0.4. I am able to use 1.5.0.4, but it seems that I can
    simply not go back to 1.0.7.

    I don't mean to keep griping about this, but this is Thunderbird's (and
    Firefox's) biggest downfall and why I have completely stopped
    recommending them to friends. Upgrades and downgrades are always a
    hassle and a BIG waste of LOTS of time. I have spent several hours
    since I decided to upgrade to 1.5.0 simply trying to get it to work
    right. I like my software apps to work, not require constant
    babysitting and troubleshooting. I no longer recommend FF/TB to friends
    because I would like to keep them as friends. Even simple usage is bug
    ridden. I am now suffering through TBirds inability to display correct
    unread message counts in the folder pane. I have tried deleting .msf
    files, but to no avail (and that's the exact kind of thing I do NOT want
    to have to tell friends they must do).

    Ahhh ... and I do appreciate the help. I suppose I know what is next.
    Make a clean profile - get it working (if possible) and them migrate
    all my custom settings from to the new profile. Hmmmmmm .... that
    should only blow about a half a day.

    I guess I'll just suffer through 1.5's bugs and Email Scam and Remote
    Image banners, bad message counts, and crashing when I delete some
    messages. I have to say that 1.5 is a definite case of one step
    forward, two steps back. And now I can not even take the step back that
    I want to.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

  4. Re: Thunderbird downgrade a disaster - help

    Chuck Anderson wrote:

    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >
    >>Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >>

    >>>I gave up on 1.5.0.4 and uninstalled it. I re-installed 1.0.7.
    >>>
    >>>When I run it I get this message:
    >>>The procedure entry point NS_Alloc could not be located in the dynamic
    >>>link library xpcom.dll
    >>>
    >>>I get another message about a missing binary, I click Ok and the Tbird
    >>>opens but with absolutely no stylrs - no icons no CSS - it is a friggin
    >>>mess!!
    >>>
    >>>What should I do now?
    >>>

    >>Uninstall 1.0.7 and *delete the program folder*. Restart your OS. You
    >>can now install either 1.5.0.4 or 1.0.7.
    >>

    > First, I do appreciate the assistance, ... but .....
    >
    > I did that (and more) and I still get the same errors.
    >
    > So I uninstalled 1.0.7 again, re-installed 1.5.0.4 so I could remove the
    > minimize to tray extension, which was indicated in the title banner of
    > the error message window (see above - "The procedure entry point
    > NS_Alloc could not be located in the dynamic link library xpcom.dll").
    >
    > After doing that, I uninstalled 1.5.0.4,

    did you reboot at this stage?

    deleted the Mozilla Thunderbird
    > program folder and re-installed 1.0.7. Now I do not get the error
    > message, but I get no menus, no messages, no message folders, and no
    > tool icons. I can do nothing.
    >
    > So, ... I uninstalled 1.0.7,

    did you reboot at this stage?

    deleted the program folder, and
    > re-installed 1.5.0.4. I am able to use 1.5.0.4, but it seems that I can
    > simply not go back to 1.0.7.
    >
    > I don't mean to keep griping about this, but this is Thunderbird's (and
    > Firefox's) biggest downfall and why I have completely stopped
    > recommending them to friends. Upgrades and downgrades are always a
    > hassle and a BIG waste of LOTS of time.

    I can't figure out what the problem is. I have never had a problem
    upgrading. And its the same as many others. It seems to be a small
    handful of people who are have these strange problems.

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #1: How come the users can find all the
    computer bugs and not the programmers or analysts?

  5. Re: Thunderbird downgrade a disaster - help

    Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >>
    >>> I gave up on 1.5.0.4 and uninstalled it. I re-installed 1.0.7.
    >>>
    >>> When I run it I get this message:
    >>> The procedure entry point NS_Alloc could not be located in the
    >>> dynamic link library xpcom.dll
    >>>
    >>> I get another message about a missing binary, I click Ok and the
    >>> Tbird opens but with absolutely no stylrs - no icons no CSS - it is a
    >>> friggin mess!!
    >>>
    >>> What should I do now?
    >>>

    >> Uninstall 1.0.7 and *delete the program folder*. Restart your OS.
    >> You can now install either 1.5.0.4 or 1.0.7.
    >>

    > First, I do appreciate the assistance, ... but .....
    >
    > I did that (and more) and I still get the same errors.
    >
    > So I uninstalled 1.0.7 again, re-installed 1.5.0.4 so I could remove the
    > minimize to tray extension, which was indicated in the title banner of
    > the error message window (see above - "The procedure entry point
    > NS_Alloc could not be located in the dynamic link library xpcom.dll").
    >
    > After doing that, I uninstalled 1.5.0.4, deleted the Mozilla Thunderbird
    > program folder and re-installed 1.0.7. Now I do not get the error
    > message, but I get no menus, no messages, no message folders, and no
    > tool icons. I can do nothing.
    >
    > So, ... I uninstalled 1.0.7, deleted the program folder, and
    > re-installed 1.5.0.4. I am able to use 1.5.0.4, but it seems that I can
    > simply not go back to 1.0.7.
    >
    > I don't mean to keep griping about this, but this is Thunderbird's (and
    > Firefox's) biggest downfall and why I have completely stopped
    > recommending them to friends. Upgrades and downgrades are always a
    > hassle and a BIG waste of LOTS of time. I have spent several hours
    > since I decided to upgrade to 1.5.0 simply trying to get it to work
    > right. I like my software apps to work, not require constant
    > babysitting and troubleshooting. I no longer recommend FF/TB to friends
    > because I would like to keep them as friends. Even simple usage is bug
    > ridden. I am now suffering through TBirds inability to display correct
    > unread message counts in the folder pane. I have tried deleting .msf
    > files, but to no avail (and that's the exact kind of thing I do NOT want
    > to have to tell friends they must do).
    >
    > Ahhh ... and I do appreciate the help. I suppose I know what is next.
    > Make a clean profile - get it working (if possible) and them migrate
    > all my custom settings from to the new profile. Hmmmmmm .... that
    > should only blow about a half a day.
    >
    > I guess I'll just suffer through 1.5's bugs and Email Scam and Remote
    > Image banners, bad message counts, and crashing when I delete some
    > messages. I have to say that 1.5 is a definite case of one step
    > forward, two steps back. And now I can not even take the step back that
    > I want to.

    Strange that you are having these problems. I have used every version
    of TB since the beginning, and have NEVER had any such problems. As for
    upgrades, each version of 1.5 has upgraded smoothly, with no problems
    whatsoever here. There IS a bug regarding message counts disappearing
    when a NG is set to mark all read when you exit the group. This is a
    simple cosmetic bug, so who knows when it will be fixed.
    Perhaps you aren't the type of user who should be using open source
    software, at least not while active development is taking place.

  6. Re: Thunderbird downgrade a disaster - help

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> Uninstall 1.0.7 and *delete the program folder*. Restart your OS.
    >>> You can now install either 1.5.0.4 or 1.0.7.
    >>>

    >> First, I do appreciate the assistance, ... but .....
    >>
    >> I did that (and more) and I still get the same errors.
    >>
    >> So I uninstalled 1.0.7 again, re-installed 1.5.0.4 so I could remove the
    >> minimize to tray extension, which was indicated in the title banner of
    >> the error message window (see above - "The procedure entry point
    >> NS_Alloc could not be located in the dynamic link library xpcom.dll").
    >>
    >> After doing that, I uninstalled 1.5.0.4, deleted the Mozilla Thunderbird
    >> program folder and re-installed 1.0.7. Now I do not get the error
    >> message, but I get no menus, no messages, no message folders, and no
    >> tool icons. I can do nothing.
    >>
    >> So, ... I uninstalled 1.0.7, deleted the program folder, and
    >> re-installed 1.5.0.4. I am able to use 1.5.0.4, but it seems that I can
    >> simply not go back to 1.0.7.
    >>
    >> I don't mean to keep griping about this, but this is Thunderbird's (and
    >> Firefox's) biggest downfall and why I have completely stopped
    >> recommending them to friends. Upgrades and downgrades are always a
    >> hassle and a BIG waste of LOTS of time. I have spent several hours
    >> since I decided to upgrade to 1.5.0 simply trying to get it to work
    >> right. I like my software apps to work, not require constant
    >> babysitting and troubleshooting. I no longer recommend FF/TB to friends
    >> because I would like to keep them as friends. Even simple usage is bug
    >> ridden. I am now suffering through TBirds inability to display correct
    >> unread message counts in the folder pane. I have tried deleting .msf
    >> files, but to no avail (and that's the exact kind of thing I do NOT want
    >> to have to tell friends they must do).
    >>
    >> Ahhh ... and I do appreciate the help. I suppose I know what is next.
    >> Make a clean profile - get it working (if possible) and them migrate
    >> all my custom settings from to the new profile. Hmmmmmm .... that
    >> should only blow about a half a day.
    >>
    >> I guess I'll just suffer through 1.5's bugs and Email Scam and Remote
    >> Image banners, bad message counts, and crashing when I delete some
    >> messages. I have to say that 1.5 is a definite case of one step
    >> forward, two steps back. And now I can not even take the step back that
    >> I want to.
    >>

    > Strange that you are having these problems. I have used every version
    > of TB since the beginning, and have NEVER had any such problems. As for
    > upgrades, each version of 1.5 has upgraded smoothly, with no problems
    > whatsoever here. There IS a bug regarding message counts disappearing
    > when a NG is set to mark all read when you exit the group. This is a
    > simple cosmetic bug, so who knows when it will be fixed.
    > Perhaps you aren't the type of user who should be using open source
    > software, at least not while active development is taking place.

    Maybe so, but ... active development? What were version 0.n and 1.0
    for? And what are the alternatives?

    Besides, I use lots of other open source software without these kinds of
    hassles.

    And note that I am downgrading (at least trying to) because I don't like
    the new feature bugs added to 1.5. For one, .... it no longer displays
    messages in the summary pane the same way. I can't get a threaded view
    ordered by date without having superfluous '+' icons next to single
    posts. I have to click on the '+' to see whether there really are more
    messages in the "thread" or not.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Everyone's journey should be different,
    so that we all are enriched
    in new and endless ways
    *****************************

  7. Re: Thunderbird downgrade a disaster - help

    Chuck Anderson wrote:
> [...]

    >> disappearing when a NG is set to mark all read when you exit the
    >> group. This is a simple cosmetic bug, so who knows when it will be
    >> fixed.
    >> Perhaps you aren't the type of user who should be using open source
    >> software, at least not while active development is taking place.
    >>

    > Maybe so, but ... active development? What were version 0.n and 1.0
    > for? And what are the alternatives?
    >
    > Besides, I use lots of other open source software without these kinds of
    > hassles.
    >
    > And note that I am downgrading (at least trying to) because I don't like
    > the new feature bugs added to 1.5. For one, .... it no longer displays
    > messages in the summary pane the same way. I can't get a threaded view
    > ordered by date without having superfluous '+' icons next to single
    > posts. I have to click on the '+' to see whether there really are more

    I also have used most of the versions since 1.0 without problem (at
    least significant enough to bother). I don't know what you mean by it
    not displaying messages in the summary pane the same, I don't see any
    difference (although I don't like that it moves to the next message
    automatically when you delete or Junk a message - but an extension fixed
    that). I use threaded view by date and do not have the + in front of
    single posts. Not sure why you are having these issues.

  8. Re: Thunderbird downgrade a disaster - help

    gwtc wrote:
    > Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >

    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> Uninstall 1.0.7 and *delete the program folder*. Restart your OS. You
    >>> can now install either 1.5.0.4 or 1.0.7.
    >>>

    >> First, I do appreciate the assistance, ... but .....
    >>
    >> I did that (and more) and I still get the same errors.
    >>
    >> So I uninstalled 1.0.7 again, re-installed 1.5.0.4 so I could remove the
    >> minimize to tray extension, which was indicated in the title banner of
    >> the error message window (see above - "The procedure entry point
    >> NS_Alloc could not be located in the dynamic link library xpcom.dll").
    >>
    >> After doing that, I uninstalled 1.5.0.4,
    >>

    > did you reboot at this stage?

    Well Sh*******t. How many hoops does a person have to jump through? I
    *did* delete the program folder. I may have even rebooted at that point,
    but with all the things I tried yesterday, I can't be sure.

    I did do exactly what Irwin said to do. I uninstalled whatever version
    it was I had in at the time, deleted the program folder and then
    rebooted my OS. *That* I did do. And then when I installed 1.0.7, it was
    miserably broken. From that point on I gave it my best shot trying to
    figure out where the problem was.

    So, ... let's see. Now I should uninstall 1.5.0.4, delete the program
    folder, reboot Windows and then try installing 1.0.7 again. I'll give
    that a go.

    > deleted the Mozilla Thunderbird
    >
    >> program folder and re-installed 1.0.7. Now I do not get the error
    >> message, but I get no menus, no messages, no message folders, and no
    >> tool icons. I can do nothing.
    >>
    >> So, ... I uninstalled 1.0.7,
    >>

    > did you reboot at this stage?

    No, but when I installed 1.5.0.4 after deleting the program folder that
    1.0.7 was in, it worked ... as well as it is supposed to.

    > deleted the program folder, and
    >
    >> re-installed 1.5.0.4. I am able to use 1.5.0.4, but it seems that I can
    >> simply not go back to 1.0.7.
    >>
    >> I don't mean to keep griping about this, but this is Thunderbird's (and
    >> Firefox's) biggest downfall and why I have completely stopped
    >> recommending them to friends. Upgrades and downgrades are always a
    >> hassle and a BIG waste of LOTS of time.
    >>

    > I can't figure out what the problem is. I have never had a problem
    > upgrading.

    I had no problem upgrading either, except that i could no longer view
    messages as I had before (threaded view, date order - and no superfluous
    '+' icons next to single messages. Newsgroup message counts keep getting
    screwed up. 1.5.0.5 crashed when I deleted messages. I can't turn off
    the Email scam banner AND the Remote images banner (and the Email Scam
    feature seems like a total waste, anyway). Soooo. I decided to step back
    to 1.0.7 (and while I'm at it, make that the latest 1.0, 1.0.8).

    That is what I am simply unable to do.
    > And its the same as many others. It seems to be a small
    > handful of people who are have these strange problems.

    Or more that do not know about newsgroups, or throw in the towel and go
    back to using Outlook Express.
    Besides, I have been reading messages here for a couple? of years. Many
    people have are forced to get their hands dirty and dig into their
    profile, deleting files or even editing files to get things working again.

    I just wish I could go back to 1.0.7.

    Later today I'll try uninstalling 1.5.0.4, deleting the program folder,
    rebooting my PC, doing a Hopi spirit dance in the back yard - throw some
    salt over my left shoulder - and then I'll try installing 1.0.8.

    I *do* see minimize to tray all over chrome.rdf (even after uninstalling
    it properly). I even tried manually deleting all those references (with
    Thunderbird uninstalled), but that made things even worse, so I replaced
    it with the copy I had backed up.

    1.5.0.4 does seem to work, ... as it does.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Everyone's journey should be different,
    so that we all are enriched
    in new and endless ways
    *****************************

  9. Re: Thunderbird downgrade a disaster - help

    ken wrote:
    > Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:

    >>> Strange that you are having these problems. I have used every version
    >>> of TB since the beginning, and have NEVER had any such problems. As
    >>> for upgrades, each version of 1.5 has upgraded smoothly, with no
    >>> problems whatsoever here. There IS a bug regarding message counts
    >>> disappearing when a NG is set to mark all read when you exit the
    >>> group. This is a simple cosmetic bug, so who knows when it will be
    >>> fixed.
    >>> Perhaps you aren't the type of user who should be using open source
    >>> software, at least not while active development is taking place.
    >>>

    >> Maybe so, but ... active development? What were version 0.n and 1.0
    >> for? And what are the alternatives?
    >>
    >> Besides, I use lots of other open source software without these kinds of
    >> hassles.
    >>
    >> And note that I am downgrading (at least trying to) because I don't like
    >> the new feature bugs added to 1.5. For one, .... it no longer displays
    >> messages in the summary pane the same way. I can't get a threaded view
    >> ordered by date without having superfluous '+' icons next to single
    >> posts. I have to click on the '+' to see whether there really are more
    >> messages in the "thread" or not.
    >>

    > I also have used most of the versions since 1.0 without problem (at
    > least significant enough to bother). I don't know what you mean by it
    > not displaying messages in the summary pane the same, I don't see any
    > difference (although I don't like that it moves to the next message
    > automatically when you delete or Junk a message - but an extension fixed
    > that). I use threaded view by date and do not have the + in front of
    > single posts. Not sure why you are having these issues.

    To be specific, I have View - Messages set to All, and View - Threads
    set to Unread. If I change View - Messages to Unread, I lose the extra
    '+' icon, but messages get re-ordered when I open the group and they are
    no longer strictly date ordered. I believe (... it's hard to tell
    exactly what's happening) that threads with newer messages appear first
    - on top - before older messages. This was not the case in 1.0.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Everyone's journey should be different,
    so that we all are enriched
    in new and endless ways
    *****************************

  10. Re: Thunderbird downgrade a disaster - help

    Chuck Anderson wrote:
> [...]

    > Or more that do not know about newsgroups, or throw in the towel and go
    > back to using Outlook Express.
    > Besides, I have been reading messages here for a couple? of years. Many
    > people have are forced to get their hands dirty and dig into their
    > profile, deleting files or even editing files to get things working again.
    >
    > I just wish I could go back to 1.0.7.
    >
    > Later today I'll try uninstalling 1.5.0.4, deleting the program folder,
    > rebooting my PC, doing a Hopi spirit dance in the back yard - throw some
    > salt over my left shoulder - and then I'll try installing 1.0.8.
    >
    > I *do* see minimize to tray all over chrome.rdf (even after uninstalling
    > it properly). I even tried manually deleting all those references (with
    > Thunderbird uninstalled), but that made things even worse, so I replaced
    > it with the copy I had backed up.
    >
    > 1.5.0.4 does seem to work, ... as it does.

    You could delete the program folder, after uninstalling, then make a
    backup of the profile folder, and then delete the profile folder. I
    suspect that your problem is in that profile. I have had to remake a
    profile a few times when things didn't work as expected. I am not sure
    why anyone would want to go back to a 1.0.x release from 1.5.0.x
    release, but that should do the trick.

  11. Re: Thunderbird downgrade a disaster - help

    Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > ken wrote:
    >> Chuck Anderson wrote:

    >>> Maybe so, but ... active development? What were version 0.n and 1.0
    >>> for? And what are the alternatives?
    >>>
    >>> Besides, I use lots of other open source software without these kinds
    >>> of hassles.
    >>>
    >>> And note that I am downgrading (at least trying to) because I don't
    >>> like the new feature bugs added to 1.5. For one, .... it no longer
    >>> displays messages in the summary pane the same way. I can't get a
    >>> threaded view ordered by date without having superfluous '+' icons
    >>> next to single posts. I have to click on the '+' to see whether
    >>> there really are more messages in the "thread" or not.
    >>>

    >> I also have used most of the versions since 1.0 without problem (at
    >> least significant enough to bother). I don't know what you mean by it
    >> not displaying messages in the summary pane the same, I don't see any
    >> difference (although I don't like that it moves to the next message
    >> automatically when you delete or Junk a message - but an extension
    >> fixed that). I use threaded view by date and do not have the + in
    >> front of single posts. Not sure why you are having these issues.
    >>

    > To be specific, I have View - Messages set to All, and View - Threads
    > set to Unread. If I change View - Messages to Unread, I lose the extra
    > '+' icon, but messages get re-ordered when I open the group and they are
    > no longer strictly date ordered. I believe (... it's hard to tell
    > exactly what's happening) that threads with newer messages appear first
    > - on top - before older messages. This was not the case in 1.0.

    I have View - Messages set to All, but also have View - Threads set to
    All. I tried it with View - Threads set to Unread and it still shows
    the single ones without the +. I guess I am out of my league with what
    might be going on for you.

+ Reply to Thread