News and holding user/password - Mozilla

This is a discussion on News and holding user/password - Mozilla ; I'm currently using Thunderbird to access private news servers that requires a login into them. There's a catch though, one of the newsgroups I can only write to (no permission to read). This is throwing off Thunderbird and causing it ...

  1. News and holding user/password

    I'm currently using Thunderbird to access private news servers that
    requires a login into them. There's a catch though, one of the
    newsgroups I can only write to (no permission to read). This is
    throwing off Thunderbird and causing it to forget my user/pass cause it
    gets "permission denied" when I click on this newsgroup to make a post.

    Is there anyway to force Thunderbird to save a user/password for a news
    server and ignore any permission denied errors? I'd like the ability to
    save a user/pass in the account options similar to that of OE.

    thanks
    ~philip

  2. Re: News and holding user/password

    _guice666_ spoke thusly on 05/06/2006 11:53 PM:
    > I'm currently using Thunderbird to access private news servers that
    > requires a login into them. There's a catch though, one of the
    > newsgroups I can only write to (no permission to read). This is
    > throwing off Thunderbird and causing it to forget my user/pass cause it
    > gets "permission denied" when I click on this newsgroup to make a post.
    >
    > Is there anyway to force Thunderbird to save a user/password for a news
    > server and ignore any permission denied errors? I'd like the ability to
    > save a user/pass in the account options similar to that of OE.

    You shouldn't have to click on the newsgroup to make a post. Just open
    the message composition window, choose the correct identity, call up the
    newsgroup header, and enter the newsgroup name.

    One thing you could try is this:
    Go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General, and click on "Config Editor".
    In the Config Editor, search for:
    server.server

    You'll see a list of preference settings for each server. Each server is
    assigned a number. Look through those preferences to find out which
    number is assigned to the server you are enquiring about. Once you know
    which server number it is, add the following boolean pref [Right-click
    -> New -> Boolean]:
    mail.server.server#.singleSignon
    and set it to false.
    (Don't use "#". Use the number of the server. For instance, if it is
    server3, use 'mail.server.server3.singleSignon'.)
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  3. Re: News and holding user/password

    guice666 wrote:
    > I'm currently using Thunderbird to access private news servers that
    > requires a login into them. There's a catch though, one of the
    > newsgroups I can only write to (no permission to read). This is
    > throwing off Thunderbird and causing it to forget my user/pass cause it
    > gets "permission denied" when I click on this newsgroup to make a post.
    >
    > Is there anyway to force Thunderbird to save a user/password for a news
    > server and ignore any permission denied errors? I'd like the ability to
    > save a user/pass in the account options similar to that of OE.
    >
    > thanks
    > ~philip

    Just curious. I have seen news servers that don't allow posting, but of
    what use is a newsgroup/server that won't allow reading? What would one
    post to such a server, and why?

  4. Re: News and holding user/password

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > guice666 wrote:
    >
    >>I'm currently using Thunderbird to access private news servers that
    >>requires a login into them. There's a catch though, one of the
    >>newsgroups I can only write to (no permission to read). This is
    >>throwing off Thunderbird and causing it to forget my user/pass cause it
    >>gets "permission denied" when I click on this newsgroup to make a post.
    >>
    >>Is there anyway to force Thunderbird to save a user/password for a news
    >>server and ignore any permission denied errors? I'd like the ability to
    >>save a user/pass in the account options similar to that of OE.
    >>
    >>thanks
    >>~philip
    >>

    > Just curious. I have seen news servers that don't allow posting, but of
    > what use is a newsgroup/server that won't allow reading? What would one
    > post to such a server, and why?

    I thought the same thing, then I read his message again. You need
    permission to post but you don't need permission to read them.

    --
    You know you need a new housekeeper when: She's great with the food
    budget -- but the hamsters are missing and last night's burgers tasted

  5. Re: News and holding user/password

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _guice666_ spoke thusly on 05/06/2006 11:53 PM:
    > > I'm currently using Thunderbird to access private news servers that
    > > requires a login into them. There's a catch though, one of the
    > > newsgroups I can only write to (no permission to read). This is
    > > throwing off Thunderbird and causing it to forget my user/pass cause it
    > > gets "permission denied" when I click on this newsgroup to make a post.
    > >
    > > Is there anyway to force Thunderbird to save a user/password for a news
    > > server and ignore any permission denied errors? I'd like the ability to
    > > save a user/pass in the account options similar to that of OE.

    > You shouldn't have to click on the newsgroup to make a post. Just open
    > the message composition window, choose the correct identity, call up the
    > newsgroup header, and enter the newsgroup name.

    With a news group name like
    STIR4.03.43.FGDF03TMK5-NCT410.Assignments-write-only, I prefer to click
    on the news group and click "New Message."

    there is another bug in this one, too -- I'll get the "no permission"
    prompt and Thunderbird will be stuck on receiving (progress bar keeps
    moving) and I won't be able to download any other newsgroup info until
    I first hit 'Stop' and then goto another newsgroup. This is quite
    repeatable.

    > One thing you could try is this:
    > Go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General, and click on "Config Editor".
    > In the Config Editor, search for:
    > server.server
    >
    > You'll see a list of preference settings for each server. Each server is
    > assigned a number. Look through those preferences to find out which
    > number is assigned to the server you are enquiring about. Once you know
    > which server number it is, add the following boolean pref [Right-click
    > -> New -> Boolean]:
    > mail.server.server#.singleSignon
    > and set it to false.

    Did that. I don't get the prompt nearly as often now (thank goodness)
    but I can manage to make it prompt me, and have gotten it on occasion
    just by switching newsgroups. It's not nearly as often, but it has
    happened. Thanks though, it does help a lot. It was extremely annoying
    having to enter my username, click "remember" *and* enter my password
    and click "remember" every time....

    I still think Thunderbird needs the ability to store it in the server
    options instead of prompting for it. Maybe a tri level setting --
    "Prompt", "Username" and check box for remember password (with the
    password field there). That would be helpful. If a person has the
    user/pass set in the settings, Thunderbird should never need to prompt
    for that data.

  6. Re: News and holding user/password

    gwtc wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    > > guice666 wrote:
    > >
    > >>I'm currently using Thunderbird to access private news servers that
    > >>requires a login into them. There's a catch though, one of the
    > >>newsgroups I can only write to (no permission to read). This is
    > >>throwing off Thunderbird and causing it to forget my user/pass cause it
    > >>gets "permission denied" when I click on this newsgroup to make a post.
    > >>
    > >>Is there anyway to force Thunderbird to save a user/password for a news
    > >>server and ignore any permission denied errors? I'd like the ability to
    > >>save a user/pass in the account options similar to that of OE.
    > >>
    > >>thanks
    > >>~philip
    > >>

    > > Just curious. I have seen news servers that don't allow posting, but of
    > > what use is a newsgroup/server that won't allow reading? What would one
    > > post to such a server, and why?

    > I thought the same thing, then I read his message again. You need
    > permission to post but you don't need permission to read them.

    Yup, that is correct. I have permission to Post to it. I just cannot
    read from it. It's an assignment folder for my online course. It's for
    posting our assignments to, so other students can read what we've
    posted.

  7. Re: News and holding user/password

    _guice666_ spoke thusly on 06/06/2006 11:43 PM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    > With a news group name like
    > STIR4.03.43.FGDF03TMK5-NCT410.Assignments-write-only, I prefer to click
    > on the news group and click "New Message."

    Right-click on the newsgroup, and select "Properties". You can then
    copy/paste the name.

    >> One thing you could try is this:
    >> Go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General, and click on "Config Editor".
    >> In the Config Editor, search for:
    >> server.server
    >>
    >> You'll see a list of preference settings for each server. Each server is
    >> assigned a number. Look through those preferences to find out which
    >> number is assigned to the server you are enquiring about. Once you know
    >> which server number it is, add the following boolean pref [Right-click
    >> -> New -> Boolean]:
    >> mail.server.server#.singleSignon
    >> and set it to false.

    > Did that. I don't get the prompt nearly as often now (thank goodness)
    > but I can manage to make it prompt me, and have gotten it on occasion
    > just by switching newsgroups.

    If you are subscribed to more than group on that server, you should get
    a separate prompt for each group (and separate entries in the password
    manager). Originally, the password manager saved a password for each
    group, plus the master list (different URLs). Obviously, there were many
    complaints about having to re-enter a password for each newsgroup; so it
    was fixed to use one username/password for the entire news server, which
    could be turned off via the preference
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  8. Re: News and holding user/password

    _guice666_ spoke thusly on 06/06/2006 11:45 PM:
    > Yup, that is correct. I have permission to Post to it. I just cannot
    > read from it. It's an assignment folder for my online course. It's for
    > posting our assignments to, so other students can read what we've
    > posted.

    A mailing list may be a better solution.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  9. Re: News and holding user/password

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _guice666_ spoke thusly on 06/06/2006 11:45 PM:
    > > Yup, that is correct. I have permission to Post to it. I just cannot
    > > read from it. It's an assignment folder for my online course. It's for
    > > posting our assignments to, so other students can read what we've
    > > posted.

    > A mailing list may be a better solution.

    I don't exactly have a say in how the University of Phoenix does their
    classroom setups. Sorry.

  10. Re: News and holding user/password

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _guice666_ spoke thusly on 06/06/2006 11:43 PM:
    > > Chris Ilias wrote:
    > >
    > > With a news group name like
    > > STIR4.03.43.FGDF03TMK5-NCT410.Assignments-write-only, I prefer to click
    > > on the news group and click "New Message."

    > Right-click on the newsgroup, and select "Properties". You can then
    > copy/paste the name.

    Still a bit more work to be honest. It'll by-pass the bug, but still
    more work. Your average user won't exactly understand full the steps
    involved or why "it's that way."

    > >> One thing you could try is this:
    > >> Go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General, and click on "Config Editor".
    > >> In the Config Editor, search for:
    > >> server.server
    > >>
    > >> You'll see a list of preference settings for each server. Each server is
    > >> assigned a number. Look through those preferences to find out which
    > >> number is assigned to the server you are enquiring about. Once you know
    > >> which server number it is, add the following boolean pref [Right-click
    > >> -> New -> Boolean]:
    > >> mail.server.server#.singleSignon
    > >> and set it to false.

    > > Did that. I don't get the prompt nearly as often now (thank goodness)
    > > but I can manage to make it prompt me, and have gotten it on occasion
    > > just by switching newsgroups.

    > If you are subscribed to more than group on that server, you should get
    > a separate prompt for each group (and separate entries in the password
    > manager). Originally, the password manager saved a password for each
    > group, plus the master list (different URLs). Obviously, there were many
    > complaints about having to re-enter a password for each newsgroup; so it
    > was fixed to use one username/password for the entire news server, which
    > could be turned off via the preference
    > |mail.server.default.singleSignon|, or per-server (as shown above).

    Okay, you lost me now. I thought the singleSignon = false was to allow
    a single login per server (I thought it was odd you said to set it to
    false ). Especially considering my original post was complaint about
    having to constantly enter my login info.

    I want it server wide. One signon for the whole server. Enter my
    user/pass once, click "remember" and have it *never* (for as long as
    I'm subscribed to that news server) ask me for my login again. That's
    what I want. Can Thunder not do this?

    thanks

  11. Re: News and holding user/password

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > guice666 wrote:
    >> I'm currently using Thunderbird to access private news servers that
    >> requires a login into them. There's a catch though, one of the
    >> newsgroups I can only write to (no permission to read). This is
    >> throwing off Thunderbird and causing it to forget my user/pass cause it
    >> gets "permission denied" when I click on this newsgroup to make a post.
    >>
    >> Is there anyway to force Thunderbird to save a user/password for a news
    >> server and ignore any permission denied errors? I'd like the ability to
    >> save a user/pass in the account options similar to that of OE.

    > Just curious. I have seen news servers that don't allow posting, but of
    > what use is a newsgroup/server that won't allow reading? What would one
    > post to such a server, and why?

    Sounded odd to me too.

    It's apparently like that extremely expensive and highly-classified
    write-only memory. If you don't know what it's used for it's because
    you have no need to know.

    No lawyering. Prosecutors will be violated.

  12. Re: News and holding user/password

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Sounded odd to me too.
    >
    > It's apparently like that extremely expensive and highly-classified
    > write-only memory. If you don't know what it's used for it's because
    > you have no need to know.

    Try student posts assignment. Instructor logs into news group and pulls
    down assignment.

    I don't have permission to read the newsgroup, but that does not mean
    my instructors don't either. They can read it. Just us students that
    cannot, but we are able to post our assignments into there.

+ Reply to Thread