msg. count wrong - Mozilla

This is a discussion on msg. count wrong - Mozilla ; Firefox msg.count shows 200+ msg. Then when I click to view, count drops to correct amt....

  1. msg. count wrong

    Firefox msg.count shows 200+ msg. Then when I click to view, count drops
    to correct amt.

  2. Re: msg. count wrong

    On 06.06.2006 02:53 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Bob Reedy
    to generate the following:? :

    > Firefox msg.count shows 200+ msg. Then when I click to view, count
    > drops to correct amt.

    ummmm - definitely *NPT* Firefox.... you mean Thunderbird :-)

    1) if the mis-count is with newsgroup folders, then try the following to
    edit your *.rc files.
    If that doesn't work, or if you only mean your normal eMail account...
    2) do a Win Search for your *.msf files (you will have to UN-hide all
    files in Win Explorer) and *delete* them!

    reg

    Editing *.rc files (Newsgroups)

    The *.rc files store the count of posts that you have read. Sometimes
    though, they get the hiccups and lose count, causing the "Message Count"
    that shows next to the NG Folder to give either the wrong number of
    "unread posts" or to perpetually show an "unread post" even though there
    is none available!

    The good news is that the *.rc files are a "Plain Text List" that you
    can edit, using the Notepad or Wordpad editors!

    CLOSE YOUR eMAIL PROGRAM - otherwise the changes you make may not stick
    .... strange things happen with computers!

    Do a Windows search for *.rc - you may well get quite a long list
    showing - each eMail program you use will show an *.rc file for each
    Newsgroup server you visit!

    Generally speaking though, *.rc files "live" in your eMail program's
    Profile folder.

    So - what to do, now that you have found 27 *.rc files?? (No joke -
    I've got 50 of them)

    In the right-hand column of the "Find" list, look for the Profile that
    you want to clean up - if needbe, click on the top bar [ In folder ] and
    sort by name!
    In the left-hand column, find the NG-Server name ( for the Newsgroup
    that is showing the wrong count ), and DOUBLE click the file name to
    open (i.e secnews.netscape.com.rc for the Thunderbird Newsgroup)
    If the file doesn't open in Wordpad or Notepad, mark the file name, HOLD
    the shift key on your keyboard and RIGHT click the marked file name.
    Select "Open with" and browse with [Other] to C:\Windows\Notepad.exe

    Here, I'll show you my secnews.netscape.com.rc as an example... all the
    others look much the same, and editing them is also the same task!

    netscape.communicator: 1-407837
    netscape.mozilla.firefox: 1-7961
    netscape.mozilla.thunderbird: 1-26285,26287-26291,26296-26302,26308
    netscape.mozilla.user.general: 1-43449
    netscape.mozilla.user.win32: 1-42441
    netscape.netscape7.windows: 1-81653
    netscape.netscape8.windows: 1-779
    netscape.test.secnews2: 1-789
    netscape.test.multimedia: 1-125681

    As you can see, the message-counts are normally 1-12345 with NO breaks
    in the sequence! This means that Posts 1 through 12345 have been marked
    as "read" for your login!
    In my list above, for the third newsgroup (Thunderbird) the count has
    gone a bit "haywire" - for what reason ever doesn't matter here! We
    want to clean-up the mess it MAY cause.

    So - simply edit that line to read
    netscape.mozilla.thunderbird: 1-26308

    and save the file back to where it was before! MAKE SURE THOUGH, that
    the editor does NOT attach a .txt suffix - it seems that Windows is a
    bit irrational in this way - because *secnews.netscape.com.rc.txt*
    won't be found by your eMail program!!

    Now - what else can we do, whilst we are here?
    More good news.... you can "sort" the order in which the Newsgroups
    show under their Server Name (this does not work for sorting the SERVER
    NAME LIST)

    As I prefer to see the posts in the Thunderbird group first, before I go
    on to the Firefox group, I simply mark and cut the complete Thunderbird
    line, and insert it between the

    >>netscape.communicator<< and
    >>netscape.mozilla.firefox<< groups!

    The original list has now been edited to look like this:

    netscape.communicator: 1-407837
    netscape.mozilla.thunderbird: 1-26308
    netscape.mozilla.firefox: 1-7961
    netscape.mozilla.user.general: 1-43449
    netscape.mozilla.user.win32: 1-42441
    netscape.netscape7.windows: 1-81653
    netscape.netscape8.windows: 1-779
    netscape.test.secnews2: 1-789
    netscape.test.multimedia: 1-125681

    Again - SAVE the file, as stated further up!

    When I re-start my eMail program (here, Thunderbird) the NG order has
    been changed and - hopefully - the annoying miscounting has gone to the
    electrical Nirvana!

    reg - September 2005

  3. Re: msg. count wrong

    On 6/6/2006 9:11 AM, squaredancer wrote the following and I, Dennis
    Marks, have replied at the bottom:
> [...]

    > NAME LIST)
    >
    > As I prefer to see the posts in the Thunderbird group first, before I go
    > on to the Firefox group, I simply mark and cut the complete Thunderbird
    > line, and insert it between the
    >
    > >>netscape.communicator<< and
    > >>netscape.mozilla.firefox<< groups!

    > The original list has now been edited to look like this:
    >
    > netscape.communicator: 1-407837
    > netscape.mozilla.thunderbird: 1-26308
    > netscape.mozilla.firefox: 1-7961
    > netscape.mozilla.user.general: 1-43449
    > netscape.mozilla.user.win32: 1-42441
    > netscape.netscape7.windows: 1-81653
    > netscape.netscape8.windows: 1-779
    > netscape.test.secnews2: 1-789
    > netscape.test.multimedia: 1-125681
    >
    > Again - SAVE the file, as stated further up!
    >
    > When I re-start my eMail program (here, Thunderbird) the NG order has
    > been changed and - hopefully - the annoying miscounting has gone to the

    This is just a temporary fix. The problem is sure to return. I also have
    the problem of disappearing counts. When will there be a fix?

    --
    Dennis M. Marks

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion. I do not guarantee it. Be sure to
    back up any files involved and use at your own risk. Batteries not
    included. Not for internal use. Don't run with knives.

  4. PS PS PS Re: msg. count wrong PS PS PS

    On 06.06.2006 06:11 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused
    squaredancer to generate the following:? :

    > On 06.06.2006 02:53 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Bob Reedy
    > to generate the following:? :
    >
    >> Firefox msg.count shows 200+ msg. Then when I click to view, count
    >> drops to correct amt.

    > ummmm - definitely *NPT* Firefox.... you mean Thunderbird :-)

    ooopppssss - definitely *NOT* Firefox....

    << all snipped - see previous post>>

    reg

  5. Re: msg. count wrong

    Dennis Marks wrote:

> [...]

    >>line, and insert it between the

    >>The original list has now been edited to look like this:
    >>
    >>netscape.communicator: 1-407837
    >>netscape.mozilla.thunderbird: 1-26308
    >>netscape.mozilla.firefox: 1-7961
    >>netscape.mozilla.user.general: 1-43449
    >>netscape.mozilla.user.win32: 1-42441
    >>netscape.netscape7.windows: 1-81653
    >>netscape.netscape8.windows: 1-779
    >>netscape.test.secnews2: 1-789
    >>netscape.test.multimedia: 1-125681
    >>
    >>Again - SAVE the file, as stated further up!
    >>
    >>When I re-start my eMail program (here, Thunderbird) the NG order has
    >>been changed and - hopefully - the annoying miscounting has gone to the
    >>electrical Nirvana!
    >>
    >>reg - September 2005

    > This is just a temporary fix. The problem is sure to return. I also have
    > the problem of disappearing counts. When will there be a fix?

    have you tried deleting the *.msf files? That always works for me.

    --
    You know you need a new housekeeper when: She's great with the food
    budget -- but the hamsters are missing and last night's burgers tasted

  6. Re: msg. count wrong

    On 06.06.2006 06:36 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Dennis
    Marks to generate the following:? :

> [...]

    >> Thunderbird line, and insert it between the

    >> The original list has now been edited to look like this:
    >>
    >> netscape.communicator: 1-407837
    >> netscape.mozilla.thunderbird: 1-26308
    >> netscape.mozilla.firefox: 1-7961
    >> netscape.mozilla.user.general: 1-43449
    >> netscape.mozilla.user.win32: 1-42441
    >> netscape.netscape7.windows: 1-81653
    >> netscape.netscape8.windows: 1-779
    >> netscape.test.secnews2: 1-789
    >> netscape.test.multimedia: 1-125681
    >>
    >> Again - SAVE the file, as stated further up!
    >>
    >> When I re-start my eMail program (here, Thunderbird) the NG order
    >> has been changed and - hopefully - the annoying miscounting has gone
    >> to the electrical Nirvana!
    >>
    >> reg - September 2005

    > This is just a temporary fix. The problem is sure to return. I also
    > have the problem of disappearing counts. When will there be a fix?

    *lol* Dennis - methinks, NOTHING is permanent, except death, and even
    there some people will argue the case with you!

    reg

  7. Re: msg. count wrong

    On 6/6/2006 9:46 AM, squaredancer wrote the following and I, Dennis
> [...]
    >>>
    >>> netscape.communicator: 1-407837
    >>> netscape.mozilla.thunderbird: 1-26308
    >>> netscape.mozilla.firefox: 1-7961
    >>> netscape.mozilla.user.general: 1-43449
    >>> netscape.mozilla.user.win32: 1-42441
    >>> netscape.netscape7.windows: 1-81653
    >>> netscape.netscape8.windows: 1-779
    >>> netscape.test.secnews2: 1-789
    >>> netscape.test.multimedia: 1-125681
    >>>
    >>> Again - SAVE the file, as stated further up!
    >>>
    >>> When I re-start my eMail program (here, Thunderbird) the NG order
    >>> has been changed and - hopefully - the annoying miscounting has gone
    >>> to the electrical Nirvana!
    >>>
    >>> reg - September 2005

    >> This is just a temporary fix. The problem is sure to return. I also
    >> have the problem of disappearing counts. When will there be a fix?
    >>

    > *lol* Dennis - methinks, NOTHING is permanent, except death, and even
    > there some people will argue the case with you!

    I would not expect to have to delete program files once a week to solve
    a problem that should not be there.

    --
    Dennis M. Marks

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion. I do not guarantee it. Be sure to
    back up any files involved and use at your own risk. Batteries not
    included. Not for internal use. Don't run with knives.

  8. Re: msg. count wrong

    On 06.06.2006 09:24 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Dennis
    Marks to generate the following:? :

    > On 6/6/2006 9:46 AM, squaredancer wrote the following and I, Dennis
    > Marks, have replied at the bottom:
    >
    >> On 06.06.2006 06:36 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Dennis
    >> Marks to generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> On 6/6/2006 9:11 AM, squaredancer wrote the following and I, Dennis
    >>> Marks, have replied at the bottom:

    >>> This is just a temporary fix. The problem is sure to return. I also
    >>> have the problem of disappearing counts. When will there be a fix?
    >>>

    >> *lol* Dennis - methinks, NOTHING is permanent, except death, and even
    >> there some people will argue the case with you!
    >>
    >> reg

    > I would not expect to have to delete program files once a week to
    > solve a problem that should not be there.

    nor would I.... if you have to repair your system *that often*, boy, do
    you have something screwed-up! (or, you are *doing something* terribly
    wrongly)

    reg

  9. Re: msg. count wrong

    On 6/6/2006 2:35 PM squaredancer spake these words of knowledge:

    > On 06.06.2006 09:24 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Dennis
    > Marks to generate the following:? :
    >
    >> On 6/6/2006 9:46 AM, squaredancer wrote the following and I, Dennis
    >> Marks, have replied at the bottom:
    >>
    >>> On 06.06.2006 06:36 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Dennis
    >>> Marks to generate the following:? :

    >>> *lol* Dennis - methinks, NOTHING is permanent, except death, and even
    >>> there some people will argue the case with you!
    >>>
    >>> reg

    >> I would not expect to have to delete program files once a week to
    >> solve a problem that should not be there.
    >>

    > nor would I.... if you have to repair your system *that often*, boy, do
    > you have something screwed-up! (or, you are *doing something* terribly
    > wrongly)
    >
    > reg

    Reg, I'm not sure you understand the situation. Let me recap: a number
    of people have noted, for the last several versions of Thunderbird, that
    the number showing the count of unread messages in newsgroups disappears
    after a fairly short interval of time. No one has ever suggested that
    this problem is anything other than a bug in Thunderbird, except perhaps
    Dan - I'm not sure of that. The reason no has has ever suggested that
    this is anything other than a bug is because it was quite clear that it
    occurred on a diverse number of machines, running TBird with no
    extensions, under a number of different operating systems. Basically,
    no one suggested it was anything but a bug because it is quite clearly a
    bug. Because it is a fairly innocuous bug, it hasn't been hammered on
    in this newsgroup.

    Several messages above this one, gwtc said: "have you tried deleting the
    *.msf files? That always works for me." The reply to that is above -
    "I would not expect to have to delete program files once a week to
    solve a problem that should not be there."

    Now given that I know you read this group on a very regular basis, I
    expect you already knew all this. That said, I wonder if you would
    clarify the seemingly nonsensical statement you made above for me.

    Also, for anyone else reading, does anyone have any idea if this
    particular bug (which although innocuous is quite visual and obvious) is
    going to be addressed?

    Thanks.

    RFT!!!
    Dave Kelsen
    --
    Incompetence: when you earnestly believe you can make up for a lack of
    skill by doubling your effort, there's no end to what you can't do.

  10. Re: msg. count wrong

    > Reg, I'm not sure you understand the situation. Let me recap: a number
    > of people have noted, for the last several versions of Thunderbird, that
    > the number showing the count of unread messages in newsgroups disappears
    > after a fairly short interval of time.

    I've not talked in this thread so far, but FWIW I have observed the same
    problem, though for me there is quite a random element to it.

  11. Re: msg. count wrong

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Reg, I'm not sure you understand the situation. Let me recap: a
    >> number of people have noted, for the last several versions of
    >> Thunderbird, that the number showing the count of unread messages in
    >> newsgroups disappears after a fairly short interval of time. No one
    >> has ever suggested that this problem is anything other than a bug in
    >> Thunderbird, except perhaps Dan - I'm not sure of that. The reason no
    >> has has ever suggested that this is anything other than a bug is
    >> because it was quite clear that it occurred on a diverse number of
    >> machines, running TBird with no extensions, under a number of
    >> different operating systems. Basically, no one suggested it was
    >> anything but a bug because it is quite clearly a bug. Because it is a
    >> fairly innocuous bug, it hasn't been hammered on in this newsgroup.
    >>
    >> Also, for anyone else reading, does anyone have any idea if this
    >> particular bug (which although innocuous is quite visual and obvious)
    >> is going to be addressed?
    >>

    > Probably when bugs that interfere with actual functionality, or
    > security, have been addressed. This is what is usually called a
    > 'cosmetic' bug. Annoying as it is, it is hardly as important as
    > preventing unauthorized access to your computer system, or preventing
    > virus infection, or preventing crashes.

    A 'cosmetic' bug? Not necessarily. It could be. But it could also be
    a minor manifestation of a much more serious underlying problem: it
    will only be able to possible to determine how serious the bug really is
    when the cause is determined.

  12. Re: msg. count wrong

    C, A, Upsdell, > wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    > >> Reg, I'm not sure you understand the situation. Let me recap: a
    > >> number of people have noted, for the last several versions of
    > >> Thunderbird, that the number showing the count of unread messages in
    > >> newsgroups disappears after a fairly short interval of time. No one
    > >> has ever suggested that this problem is anything other than a bug in
    > >> Thunderbird, except perhaps Dan - I'm not sure of that. The reason no
    > >> has has ever suggested that this is anything other than a bug is
    > >> because it was quite clear that it occurred on a diverse number of
    > >> machines, running TBird with no extensions, under a number of
    > >> different operating systems. Basically, no one suggested it was
    > >> anything but a bug because it is quite clearly a bug. Because it is a
    > >> fairly innocuous bug, it hasn't been hammered on in this newsgroup.
    > >>
    > >> Also, for anyone else reading, does anyone have any idea if this
    > >> particular bug (which although innocuous is quite visual and obvious)
    > >> is going to be addressed?
    > >>

    > > Probably when bugs that interfere with actual functionality, or
    > > security, have been addressed. This is what is usually called a
    > > 'cosmetic' bug. Annoying as it is, it is hardly as important as
    > > preventing unauthorized access to your computer system, or preventing
    > > virus infection, or preventing crashes.

    > A 'cosmetic' bug? Not necessarily. It could be. But it could also be
    > a minor manifestation of a much more serious underlying problem: it
    > will only be able to possible to determine how serious the bug really is
    > when the cause is determined.

    The first step to 'fixing' a 'bug' is to be able to reliably recreate it on
    demand - and so far, that expedient has eluded most reporters.
    I know how to 'recreate' the appearance of such, by 'tweaking' the news
    server, but that doesnt explain the appearance of the problem for others

    Yes, on your system and setup, the problem may re-occur everytime you access
    a specific news server, for a indeterminate length of time. Problem is,
    others can use that news server and not see the problem - it may be related
    to some innocuous setting but then again it may not. Until such time as the
    'problem' can be reliably recreated, it may simply 'escape' - i.e. a
    developer goes to work on it, changes a few lines of code, cant 'see' the
    problem anylonger... declares it fixed... but it isnt, its simply that the
    developer cant see it any longer.

  13. Re: msg. count wrong

    not given wrote:

    > C, A, Upsdell, > wrote:

    >>> Probably when bugs that interfere with actual functionality, or
    >>> security, have been addressed. This is what is usually called a
    >>> 'cosmetic' bug. Annoying as it is, it is hardly as important as
    >>> preventing unauthorized access to your computer system, or preventing
    >>> virus infection, or preventing crashes.

    >> A 'cosmetic' bug? Not necessarily. It could be. But it could also be
    >> a minor manifestation of a much more serious underlying problem: it
    >> will only be able to possible to determine how serious the bug really is
    >> when the cause is determined.

    > The first step to 'fixing' a 'bug' is to be able to reliably recreate it on
    > demand - and so far, that expedient has eluded most reporters.
    > I know how to 'recreate' the appearance of such, by 'tweaking' the news
    > server, but that doesnt explain the appearance of the problem for others
    >
    > Yes, on your system and setup, the problem may re-occur everytime you access
    > a specific news server, for a indeterminate length of time. Problem is,
    > others can use that news server and not see the problem - it may be related
    > to some innocuous setting but then again it may not. Until such time as the
    > 'problem' can be reliably recreated, it may simply 'escape' - i.e. a
    > developer goes to work on it, changes a few lines of code, cant 'see' the
    > problem anylonger... declares it fixed... but it isnt, its simply that the
    > developer cant see it any longer.

    It happens to me on all news servers I access, and is quite reliable.
    Even though I have turned off the automatic refresh, which some claim
    stops it, it continues. The only newsgroups that don't manifest the
    problem are those which I have never set to 'view unread'. That should
    be a clue about where the problem lies.
    Still, there is no other manifestation of the problem other than loss of
    bolding of the group and loss of the count. It returns if I click on
    the newsgroup to get headers.

  14. Re: msg. count wrong

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > not given wrote:
    >
    >> C, A, Upsdell, > wrote:

    >>> A 'cosmetic' bug? Not necessarily. It could be. But it could also be
    >>> a minor manifestation of a much more serious underlying problem: it
    >>> will only be able to possible to determine how serious the bug really is
    >>> when the cause is determined.
    >>>

    >> The first step to 'fixing' a 'bug' is to be able to reliably recreate it on
    >> demand - and so far, that expedient has eluded most reporters.
    >> I know how to 'recreate' the appearance of such, by 'tweaking' the news
    >> server, but that doesnt explain the appearance of the problem for others
    >>
    >> Yes, on your system and setup, the problem may re-occur everytime you access
    >> a specific news server, for a indeterminate length of time. Problem is,
    >> others can use that news server and not see the problem - it may be related
    >> to some innocuous setting but then again it may not. Until such time as the
    >> 'problem' can be reliably recreated, it may simply 'escape' - i.e. a
    >> developer goes to work on it, changes a few lines of code, cant 'see' the
    >> problem anylonger... declares it fixed... but it isnt, its simply that the
    >> developer cant see it any longer.
    >>

    > It happens to me on all news servers I access, and is quite reliable.
    > Even though I have turned off the automatic refresh, which some claim
    > stops it, it continues. The only newsgroups that don't manifest the
    > problem are those which I have never set to 'view unread'. That should
    > be a clue about where the problem lies.
    > Still, there is no other manifestation of the problem other than loss of
    > bolding of the group and loss of the count. It returns if I click on
    > the newsgroup to get headers.

    ..... And then disappears again as soon as I open the group.

    I've found that if I mark all as read and then mark each message as read
    again, one at a time, the count gets corrected .... for a "while."

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson Boulder, CO

  15. Re: msg. count wrong

    Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> not given wrote:

    >>> The first step to 'fixing' a 'bug' is to be able to reliably recreate it on
    >>> demand - and so far, that expedient has eluded most reporters.
    >>> I know how to 'recreate' the appearance of such, by 'tweaking' the news
    >>> server, but that doesnt explain the appearance of the problem for others
    >>>
    >>> Yes, on your system and setup, the problem may re-occur everytime you access
    >>> a specific news server, for a indeterminate length of time. Problem is,
    >>> others can use that news server and not see the problem - it may be related
    >>> to some innocuous setting but then again it may not. Until such time as the
    >>> 'problem' can be reliably recreated, it may simply 'escape' - i.e. a
    >>> developer goes to work on it, changes a few lines of code, cant 'see' the
    >>> problem anylonger... declares it fixed... but it isnt, its simply that the
    >>> developer cant see it any longer.
    >>>

    >> It happens to me on all news servers I access, and is quite reliable.
    >> Even though I have turned off the automatic refresh, which some claim
    >> stops it, it continues. The only newsgroups that don't manifest the
    >> problem are those which I have never set to 'view unread'. That should
    >> be a clue about where the problem lies.
    >> Still, there is no other manifestation of the problem other than loss of
    >> bolding of the group and loss of the count. It returns if I click on
    >> the newsgroup to get headers.
    >>

    > .... And then disappears again as soon as I open the group.
    >
    > I've found that if I mark all as read and then mark each message as read
    > again, one at a time, the count gets corrected .... for a "while."

    Oops, make that

    "I've found that if I mark all as read and then mark each message as
    *UNread*
    again, one at a time, the count gets corrected .... for a "while."

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Everyone's journey should be different,
    so that we all are enriched
    in new and endless ways
    *****************************

  16. Re: msg. count wrong

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > not given wrote:
    > >
    > > C, A, Upsdell, > wrote:

    > >> A 'cosmetic' bug? Not necessarily. It could be. But it could also be
    > >> a minor manifestation of a much more serious underlying problem: it
    > >> will only be able to possible to determine how serious the bug really is
    > >> when the cause is determined.

    > > The first step to 'fixing' a 'bug' is to be able to reliably recreate it on
    > > demand - and so far, that expedient has eluded most reporters.
    > > I know how to 'recreate' the appearance of such, by 'tweaking' the news
    > > server, but that doesnt explain the appearance of the problem for others
    > >
    > > Yes, on your system and setup, the problem may re-occur everytime you access
    > > a specific news server, for a indeterminate length of time. Problem is,
    > > others can use that news server and not see the problem - it may be related
    > > to some innocuous setting but then again it may not. Until such time as the
    > > 'problem' can be reliably recreated, it may simply 'escape' - i.e. a
    > > developer goes to work on it, changes a few lines of code, cant 'see' the
    > > problem anylonger... declares it fixed... but it isnt, its simply that the
    > > developer cant see it any longer.

    > It happens to me on all news servers I access, and is quite reliable.
    > Even though I have turned off the automatic refresh, which some claim
    > stops it, it continues. The only newsgroups that don't manifest the
    > problem are those which I have never set to 'view unread'. That should
    > be a clue about where the problem lies.
    > Still, there is no other manifestation of the problem other than loss of
    > bolding of the group and loss of the count. It returns if I click on
    > the newsgroup to get headers.

    As I said, its not an argument as to whether or not the problem exists, its a
    situation where re-creating it (for others) simply cant be done. Conversely,
    I dont see the problem (except where I 'tweak' a news server to create it) at
    all - yet you do! Its darn difficult to 'fix' something you cant see!

  17. Re: msg. count wrong

    Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> not given wrote:

    >>> The first step to 'fixing' a 'bug' is to be able to reliably recreate
    >>> it on
    >>> demand - and so far, that expedient has eluded most reporters.
    >>> I know how to 'recreate' the appearance of such, by 'tweaking' the news
    >>> server, but that doesnt explain the appearance of the problem for others
    >>>
    >>> Yes, on your system and setup, the problem may re-occur everytime you
    >>> access
    >>> a specific news server, for a indeterminate length of time. Problem is,
    >>> others can use that news server and not see the problem - it may be
    >>> related
    >>> to some innocuous setting but then again it may not. Until such time
    >>> as the
    >>> 'problem' can be reliably recreated, it may simply 'escape' - i.e. a
    >>> developer goes to work on it, changes a few lines of code, cant 'see'
    >>> the
    >>> problem anylonger... declares it fixed... but it isnt, its simply
    >>> that the
    >>> developer cant see it any longer.
    >>>

    >> It happens to me on all news servers I access, and is quite reliable.
    >> Even though I have turned off the automatic refresh, which some claim
    >> stops it, it continues. The only newsgroups that don't manifest the
    >> problem are those which I have never set to 'view unread'. That
    >> should be a clue about where the problem lies.
    >> Still, there is no other manifestation of the problem other than loss
    >> of bolding of the group and loss of the count. It returns if I click
    >> on the newsgroup to get headers.
    >>

    > .... And then disappears again as soon as I open the group.
    >
    > I've found that if I mark all as read and then mark each message as read
    > again, one at a time, the count gets corrected .... for a "while."

    Yes, it is a strange bug, but unless is impacts security, causes
    crashes, or data loss, it goes on the low priority for being fixed list.
    That's just the way open source software IS.

  18. Re: msg. count wrong

    not given wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> not given wrote:

    >>> The first step to 'fixing' a 'bug' is to be able to reliably recreate it on
    >>> demand - and so far, that expedient has eluded most reporters.
    >>> I know how to 'recreate' the appearance of such, by 'tweaking' the news
    >>> server, but that doesnt explain the appearance of the problem for others
    >>>
    >>> Yes, on your system and setup, the problem may re-occur everytime you access
    >>> a specific news server, for a indeterminate length of time. Problem is,
    >>> others can use that news server and not see the problem - it may be related
    >>> to some innocuous setting but then again it may not. Until such time as the
    >>> 'problem' can be reliably recreated, it may simply 'escape' - i.e. a
    >>> developer goes to work on it, changes a few lines of code, cant 'see' the
    >>> problem anylonger... declares it fixed... but it isnt, its simply that the
    >>> developer cant see it any longer.

    >> It happens to me on all news servers I access, and is quite reliable.
    >> Even though I have turned off the automatic refresh, which some claim
    >> stops it, it continues. The only newsgroups that don't manifest the
    >> problem are those which I have never set to 'view unread'. That should
    >> be a clue about where the problem lies.
    >> Still, there is no other manifestation of the problem other than loss of
    >> bolding of the group and loss of the count. It returns if I click on
    >> the newsgroup to get headers.

    > As I said, its not an argument as to whether or not the problem exists, its a
    > situation where re-creating it (for others) simply cant be done. Conversely,
    > I dont see the problem (except where I 'tweak' a news server to create it) at
    > all - yet you do! Its darn difficult to 'fix' something you cant see!

    It's quite solid, and reliable here. As soon as a server gets
    refreshed, either be marking all read, or getting more headers, the
    count goes away.

  19. Re: msg. count wrong

    On 09.06.2006 01:19 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused not given
    to generate the following:? :

    >Ron Hunter wrote:
    >

    >>not given wrote:

    >>>The first step to 'fixing' a 'bug' is to be able to reliably recreate it on
    >>>demand - and so far, that expedient has eluded most reporters.
    >>>I know how to 'recreate' the appearance of such, by 'tweaking' the news
    >>>server, but that doesnt explain the appearance of the problem for others
    >>>
    >>>Yes, on your system and setup, the problem may re-occur everytime you access
    >>>a specific news server, for a indeterminate length of time. Problem is,
    >>>others can use that news server and not see the problem - it may be related
    >>>to some innocuous setting but then again it may not. Until such time as the
    >>>'problem' can be reliably recreated, it may simply 'escape' - i.e. a
    >>>developer goes to work on it, changes a few lines of code, cant 'see' the
    >>>problem anylonger... declares it fixed... but it isnt, its simply that the
    >>>developer cant see it any longer.
    >>>

    >>It happens to me on all news servers I access, and is quite reliable.
    >>Even though I have turned off the automatic refresh, which some claim
    >>stops it, it continues. The only newsgroups that don't manifest the
    >>problem are those which I have never set to 'view unread'. That should
    >>be a clue about where the problem lies.
    >>Still, there is no other manifestation of the problem other than loss of
    >>bolding of the group and loss of the count. It returns if I click on
    >>the newsgroup to get headers.
    >>

    >As I said, its not an argument as to whether or not the problem exists, its a
    >situation where re-creating it (for others) simply cant be done. Conversely,
    >I dont see the problem (except where I 'tweak' a news server to create it) at
    >all - yet you do! Its darn difficult to 'fix' something you cant see!

    what caused this for me (irregularly) was to RIGHT click the NG folder
    and select "Mark Newsgroup as Read". I used to do that when I had been
    "off-line" for a long time (holiday, hospital etc) and didn't feel like
    d/l hundreds of group posts!
    Now I "know" why and what - editing the *.rc files is a pleasure...

    reg

+ Reply to Thread