Custom abbreviations for newsgroup names - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Custom abbreviations for newsgroup names - Mozilla ; Hi, I've just moved to thunderbird, it's very good. But I've decided that since it doesn't support Reply-To-List that I will read mailing lists via newsgroups instead of email. So far so good, it works well. However, the newsgroup names ...

  1. Custom abbreviations for newsgroup names

    Hi,

    I've just moved to thunderbird, it's very good. But I've decided that
    since it doesn't support Reply-To-List that I will read mailing lists
    via newsgroups instead of email.

    So far so good, it works well. However, the newsgroup names are too
    long, and the Thunderbird abbreviation made it very difficult to see
    what they were, so I turned it off with an extension. However, now I
    need to use up a lot of horizontal space to find out what newsgroup I am
    reading.

    What I really want to do is to edit the names of the newsgroups
    individually, does anyone know how to do this? Alternatively, if would
    be nice to be able to strip out the beginning of the newsgroup title,
    for example the first word (e.g. "gmane.") isn't any use to me, so I
    could save horizontal space simply by disabling it.

    Is there any solution to this?

    thanks in advance,

    Matt

  2. Re: Custom abbreviations for newsgroup names

    On 04-06-2006 02:53 CET, Matthew East composed this enchanting statement:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just moved to thunderbird, it's very good. But I've decided that
    > since it doesn't support Reply-To-List that I will read mailing lists
    > via newsgroups instead of email.
    >
    > So far so good, it works well. However, the newsgroup names are too
    > long, and the Thunderbird abbreviation made it very difficult to see
    > what they were, so I turned it off with an extension. However, now I
    > need to use up a lot of horizontal space to find out what newsgroup I am
    > reading.
    >
    > What I really want to do is to edit the names of the newsgroups
    > individually, does anyone know how to do this? Alternatively, if would
    > be nice to be able to strip out the beginning of the newsgroup title,
    > for example the first word (e.g. "gmane.") isn't any use to me, so I
    > could save horizontal space simply by disabling it.
    >
    > Is there any solution to this?
    >
    > thanks in advance,
    >
    > Matt

    Go to Account Settings and change the folder name of the account.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

  3. Re: Custom abbreviations for newsgroup names

  4. Re: Custom abbreviations for newsgroup names

    Matthew East wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just moved to thunderbird, it's very good. But I've decided that
    > since it doesn't support Reply-To-List that I will read mailing lists
    > via newsgroups instead of email.
    >
    > So far so good, it works well. However, the newsgroup names are too
    > long, and the Thunderbird abbreviation made it very difficult to see
    > what they were, so I turned it off with an extension. However, now I
    > need to use up a lot of horizontal space to find out what newsgroup I am
    > reading.
    >
    > What I really want to do is to edit the names of the newsgroups
    > individually, does anyone know how to do this? Alternatively, if would
    > be nice to be able to strip out the beginning of the newsgroup title,
    > for example the first word (e.g. "gmane.") isn't any use to me, so I
    > could save horizontal space simply by disabling it.
    >
    > Is there any solution to this?
    >
    > thanks in advance,
    >
    > Matt

    Try the setting in user.js:
    user_pref("mail.server.default.abbreviate", false);
    --
    Ulrich

  5. Re: Custom abbreviations for newsgroup names

    On 04.06.2006 02:53 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Matthew
    East to generate the following:? :

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've just moved to thunderbird, it's very good. But I've decided that
    >since it doesn't support Reply-To-List that I will read mailing lists
    >via newsgroups instead of email.
    >
    >So far so good, it works well. However, the newsgroup names are too
    >long, and the Thunderbird abbreviation made it very difficult to see
    >what they were, so I turned it off with an extension. However, now I
    >need to use up a lot of horizontal space to find out what newsgroup I am
    >reading.
    >
    >What I really want to do is to edit the names of the newsgroups
    >individually, does anyone know how to do this? Alternatively, if would
    >be nice to be able to strip out the beginning of the newsgroup title,
    >for example the first word (e.g. "gmane.") isn't any use to me, so I
    >could save horizontal space simply by disabling it.
    >
    >Is there any solution to this?
    >
    >thanks in advance,
    >
    >Matt

    we had the same question yesterday - you CAN NOT change the group names
    (by editing the *.rc files), as TB will tell you that "Newsgroup
    [MyNewName] doesn't seem to exist - do you want to subscribe to it?"...
    which of course, you can't do (subscribe to a non-existant group)

    reg

  6. Re: Custom abbreviations for newsgroup names

    On 04.06.2006 15:43, squaredancer wrote:

    > On 04.06.2006 02:53 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Matthew
    > East to generate the following:? :
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I've just moved to thunderbird, it's very good. But I've decided that
    >>since it doesn't support Reply-To-List that I will read mailing lists
    >>via newsgroups instead of email.
    >>
    >>So far so good, it works well. However, the newsgroup names are too
    >>long, and the Thunderbird abbreviation made it very difficult to see
    >>what they were, so I turned it off with an extension. However, now I
    >>need to use up a lot of horizontal space to find out what newsgroup I am
    >>reading.
    >>
    >>What I really want to do is to edit the names of the newsgroups
    >>individually, does anyone know how to do this? Alternatively, if would
    >>be nice to be able to strip out the beginning of the newsgroup title,
    >>for example the first word (e.g. "gmane.") isn't any use to me, so I
    >>could save horizontal space simply by disabling it.
    >>
    >>Is there any solution to this?
    >>
    >>thanks in advance,
    >>
    >>Matt
    >>

    > we had the same question yesterday - you CAN NOT change the group names
    > (by editing the *.rc files), as TB will tell you that "Newsgroup
    > [MyNewName] doesn't seem to exist - do you want to subscribe to it?"...
    > which of course, you can't do (subscribe to a non-existant group)
    >
    > reg

    In the Communicator 4.x days, the feature was called "Pretty Names", you
    could name a group anything you wanted. Why this hasn't been forwarded
    to present day is completely beyond me.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  7. Re: Custom abbreviations for newsgroup names

    On 04.06.2006 10:50 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay Garcia
    to generate the following:? :

    >On 04.06.2006 15:43, squaredancer wrote:

    'cos "those were the good old days" Jay! Today we are young,
    dynamic..... and hopeless :-(

    reg

  8. Re: Custom abbreviations for newsgroup names

    Jay Garcia wrote:

    > On 04.06.2006 15:43, squaredancer wrote:

    How about mnenhy? Does it allow changing of newsgroup names?

    --
    You know you need a new housekeeper when: the Online Housekeepers
    instructs you to attach the vacuum cleaner and mop to your computer's

  9. Re: Custom abbreviations for newsgroup names

    On 04.06.2006 19:27, gwtc wrote:

    > How about mnenhy? Does it allow changing of newsgroup names?

    Beats me, I don't use that extension.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  10. Re: Custom abbreviations for newsgroup names

    On 04-06-2006 14:52 CET, Matthew East composed this enchanting statement:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >
    >> On 04-06-2006 02:53 CET, Matthew East composed this enchanting statement:
    >>
    >>> the newsgroup names are too
    >>> long, and the Thunderbird abbreviation made it very difficult to see
    >>> what they were, so I turned it off with an extension. However, now I
    >>> need to use up a lot of horizontal space to find out what newsgroup I am
    >>> reading.
    >>>
    >>> What I really want to do is to edit the names of the newsgroups
    >>> individually, does anyone know how to do this? Alternatively, if would
    >>> be nice to be able to strip out the beginning of the newsgroup title,
    >>> for example the first word (e.g. "gmane.") isn't any use to me, so I
    >>> could save horizontal space simply by disabling it.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any solution to this?
    >>>

    >> Go to Account Settings and change the folder name of the account.
    >>

    > I can't see any option called "folder name". Editing the account name
    > doesn't help - it is the names of each newsgroup subscription which are
    > too long, not the account name.

    :-( Shame on me, for my bad reading. Look for the full name, of the
    newsgroup in focus, at the top of the window.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

+ Reply to Thread