How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder? - Mozilla ; Hi, I'm trying to copy across some messages I had downloaded for offline use from the old netscape.public.mozilla.calendar group to a local folder. All I get is the hour-glass. I can understand why I might be getting it if it's ...

  1. How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder?

    Hi,

    I'm trying to copy across some messages I had downloaded for offline use
    from the old netscape.public.mozilla.calendar group to a local folder.

    All I get is the hour-glass. I can understand why I might be getting it
    if it's an expired non-offline message, but I don't see why I should be
    getting it with offline messages, whether I've set TB to offline or not.

    Any advice on how to copy the messages I want across, so I can get rid
    of the old NG? If I simply unsubscribe it, I'll lose all messages
    wholesale, including the ones I downloaded specifically for
    safekeeping... The old NG folder gives faulty "unread message"
    indications no matter how many times I set it to "read", despite no new
    messages coming in.

    TIA, BR,
    Gudmund

  2. Re: How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder?

    On 01.06.2006 02:52 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Gudmund
    Areskoug to generate the following:? :

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm trying to copy across some messages I had downloaded for offline use
    >from the old netscape.public.mozilla.calendar group to a local folder.
    >
    >All I get is the hour-glass. I can understand why I might be getting it
    >if it's an expired non-offline message, but I don't see why I should be
    >getting it with offline messages, whether I've set TB to offline or not.
    >
    >Any advice on how to copy the messages I want across, so I can get rid
    >of the old NG? If I simply unsubscribe it, I'll lose all messages
    >wholesale, including the ones I downloaded specifically for
    >safekeeping... The old NG folder gives faulty "unread message"
    >indications no matter how many times I set it to "read", despite no new
    >messages coming in.
    >
    >TIA, BR,
    >Gudmund

    did you (or can you) save the *actual messages* to your HD ?? If so,
    there should be a directory somewhere, that you can copy over???

    As to the false message counts... try editing the RC files for that NG
    (see below)

    reg

    Editing *.rc files (Newsgroups)

    The *.rc files store the count of posts that you have read. Sometimes
    though, they get the hiccups and lose count, causing the "Message Count"
    that shows next to the NG Folder to give either the wrong number of
    "unread posts" or to perpetually show an "unread post" even though there
    is none available!

    The good news is that the *.rc files are a "Plain Text List" that you
    can edit, using the Notepad or Wordpad editors!

    CLOSE YOUR eMAIL PROGRAM - otherwise the changes you make may not stick
    .... strange things happen with computers!

    Do a Windows search for *.rc - you may well get quite a long list
    showing - each eMail program you use will show an *.rc file for each
    Newsgroup server you visit!

    Generally speaking though, *.rc files "live" in your eMail program's
    Profile folder.

    So - what to do, now that you have found 27 *.rc files?? (No joke -
    I've got 50 of them)

    In the right-hand column of the "Find" list, look for the Profile that
    you want to clean up - if needbe, click on the top bar [ In folder ] and
    sort by name!
    In the left-hand column, find the NG-Server name ( for the Newsgroup
    that is showing the wrong count ), and DOUBLE click the file name to
    open (i.e secnews.netscape.com.rc for the Thunderbird Newsgroup)
    If the file doesn't open in Wordpad or Notepad, mark the file name, HOLD
    the shift key on your keyboard and RIGHT click the marked file name.
    Select "Open with" and browse with [Other] to C:\Windows\Notepad.exe

    Here, I'll show you my secnews.netscape.com.rc as an example... all the
    others look much the same, and editing them is also the same task!

    netscape.communicator: 1-407837
    netscape.mozilla.firefox: 1-7961
    netscape.mozilla.thunderbird: 1-26285,26287-26291,26296-26302,26308
    netscape.mozilla.user.general: 1-43449
    netscape.mozilla.user.win32: 1-42441
    netscape.netscape7.windows: 1-81653
    netscape.netscape8.windows: 1-779
    netscape.test.secnews2: 1-789
    netscape.test.multimedia: 1-125681

    As you can see, the message-counts are normally 1-12345 with NO breaks
    in the sequence! This means that Posts 1 through 12345 have been marked
    as "read" for your login!
    In my list above, for the third newsgroup (Thunderbird) the count has
    gone a bit "haywire" - for what reason ever doesn't matter here! We
    want to clean-up the mess it MAY cause.

    So - simply edit that line to read
    netscape.mozilla.thunderbird: 1-26308

    and save the file back to where it was before! MAKE SURE THOUGH, that
    the editor does NOT attach a .txt suffix - it seems that Windows is a
    bit irrational in this way - because *secnews.netscape.com.rc.txt*
    won't be found by your eMail program!!

    Now - what else can we do, whilst we are here?
    More good news.... you can "sort" the order in which the Newsgroups
    show under their Server Name (this does not work for sorting the SERVER
    NAME LIST)

    As I prefer to see the posts in the Thunderbird group first, before I go
    on to the Firefox group, I simply mark and cut the complete Thunderbird
    line, and insert it between the

    >>netscape.communicator<< and
    >>netscape.mozilla.firefox<< groups!

    The original list has now been edited to look like this:

    netscape.communicator: 1-407837
    netscape.mozilla.thunderbird: 1-26308
    netscape.mozilla.firefox: 1-7961
    netscape.mozilla.user.general: 1-43449
    netscape.mozilla.user.win32: 1-42441
    netscape.netscape7.windows: 1-81653
    netscape.netscape8.windows: 1-779
    netscape.test.secnews2: 1-789
    netscape.test.multimedia: 1-125681

    Again - SAVE the file, as stated further up!

    When I re-start my eMail program (here, Thunderbird) the NG order has
    been changed and - hopefully - the annoying miscounting has gone to the
    electrical Nirvana!

    reg - September 2005

  3. Re: How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder?

    Gudmund Areskoug wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to copy across some messages I had downloaded for offline use
    > from the old netscape.public.mozilla.calendar group to a local folder.
    >
    > All I get is the hour-glass. I can understand why I might be getting it
    > if it's an expired non-offline message, but I don't see why I should be
    > getting it with offline messages, whether I've set TB to offline or not.
    >
    > Any advice on how to copy the messages I want across, so I can get rid
    > of the old NG? If I simply unsubscribe it, I'll lose all messages
    > wholesale, including the ones I downloaded specifically for
    > safekeeping... The old NG folder gives faulty "unread message"
    > indications no matter how many times I set it to "read", despite no new
    > messages coming in.
    >
    > TIA, BR,
    > Gudmund

    delete the msf file in your newsgroup and the folder you're saving to.

    --
    Interesting Modern Philosophies: You never really learn to swear until
    you learn to drive. (The corollary is: You never learn to pray until

  4. Re: How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder?

    gwtc wrote:
    > Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm trying to copy across some messages I had downloaded for offline use
    >> from the old netscape.public.mozilla.calendar group to a local folder.
    >>
    >> All I get is the hour-glass. I can understand why I might be getting it
    >> if it's an expired non-offline message, but I don't see why I should be
    >> getting it with offline messages, whether I've set TB to offline or not.
    >>
    >> Any advice on how to copy the messages I want across, so I can get rid
    >> of the old NG? If I simply unsubscribe it, I'll lose all messages
    >> wholesale, including the ones I downloaded specifically for
    >> safekeeping... The old NG folder gives faulty "unread message"
    >> indications no matter how many times I set it to "read", despite no new
    >> messages coming in.
    >>
    >> TIA, BR,
    >> Gudmund

    > delete the msf file in your newsgroup and the folder you're saving to.

    Ummm, doesn't that mean losing a lot of or at least some info about the
    messages too? The folder I'm saving to is new and empty.

    The NG is dead, most or all messages on the server have expired, so I
    can't download anything anew, should I loose anything by deleting the
    msf file.

    BR,
    Gudmund

  5. Re: How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder?

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 01.06.2006 02:52 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Gudmund
    > Areskoug to generate the following:? :
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm trying to copy across some messages I had downloaded for offline use
    >> from the old netscape.public.mozilla.calendar group to a local folder.
    >>
    >> All I get is the hour-glass. I can understand why I might be getting it
    >> if it's an expired non-offline message, but I don't see why I should be
    >> getting it with offline messages, whether I've set TB to offline or not.
    >>
    >> Any advice on how to copy the messages I want across, so I can get rid
    >> of the old NG? If I simply unsubscribe it, I'll lose all messages
    >> wholesale, including the ones I downloaded specifically for
    >> safekeeping... The old NG folder gives faulty "unread message"
    >> indications no matter how many times I set it to "read", despite no new
    >> messages coming in.
    >>
    >> TIA, BR,
    >> Gudmund
    >>

    > did you (or can you) save the *actual messages* to your HD ?? If so,
    > there should be a directory somewhere, that you can copy over???

    yes, I can (although only one at a time, and any labeling etc is lost,
    of course), and you're right. Only I wanted as much of labels, flags
    etc. to tag along (hehe) as possible. I *think* I remember seeing

    > As to the false message counts... try editing the RC files for that NG
    > (see below)

    Thanks, will try to keep it for future reference and use it if I can't
    move them messages across the way I want.

    BR,
    Gudmund

  6. Re: How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder?

    _Gudmund Areskoug_ spoke thusly on 01/06/2006 8:52 AM:
    > I'm trying to copy across some messages I had downloaded for offline use
    > from the old netscape.public.mozilla.calendar group to a local folder.
    >
    > All I get is the hour-glass. I can understand why I might be getting it
    > if it's an expired non-offline message, but I don't see why I should be
    > getting it with offline messages, whether I've set TB to offline or not.
    >
    > Any advice on how to copy the messages I want across, so I can get rid
    > of the old NG? If I simply unsubscribe it, I'll lose all messages
    > wholesale, including the ones I downloaded specifically for
    > safekeeping... The old NG folder gives faulty "unread message"
    > indications no matter how many times I set it to "read", despite no new
    > messages coming in.

    It may be trying to get the messages from the server, regardless if
    they've been downloaded for offline reading. Thunderbird tends to do
    that when trying to view the message source or viewing an attachment.

    Try this:
    Close Thunderbird. In your profile folder, under
    \News\news.mozilla.org\, there should not only be an MSF file for
    netscape.public.mozilla.calendar, but one without an extension (ie.
    "netscape.public.mozilla.calendar"). Copy that file to your local
    folders account.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  7. Re: How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder?

    Gudmund Areskoug wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I'm trying to copy across some messages I had downloaded for offline use
    >>>from the old netscape.public.mozilla.calendar group to a local folder.
    >>>
    >>>All I get is the hour-glass. I can understand why I might be getting it
    >>>if it's an expired non-offline message, but I don't see why I should be
    >>>getting it with offline messages, whether I've set TB to offline or not.
    >>>
    >>>Any advice on how to copy the messages I want across, so I can get rid
    >>>of the old NG? If I simply unsubscribe it, I'll lose all messages
    >>>wholesale, including the ones I downloaded specifically for
    >>>safekeeping... The old NG folder gives faulty "unread message"
    >>>indications no matter how many times I set it to "read", despite no new
    >>>messages coming in.
    >>>
    >>>TIA, BR,
    >>>Gudmund

    >>delete the msf file in your newsgroup and the folder you're saving to.

    > Ummm, doesn't that mean losing a lot of or at least some info about the
    > messages too? The folder I'm saving to is new and empty.
    >
    > The NG is dead, most or all messages on the server have expired, so I
    > can't download anything anew, should I loose anything by deleting the
    > msf file.
    >
    > BR,
    > Gudmund

    msf files are only index files. They tell TB which way the sorting is,
    which messages are labeled, flagged, etc. They do NOT contain the
    messages themselves.

    --
    Interesting Modern Philosophies: You never really learn to swear until
    you learn to drive. (The corollary is: You never learn to pray until
    your kids learn to drive!)

  8. Re: How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder?

    gwtc wrote:
    > Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> delete the msf file in your newsgroup and the folder you're saving to.

    >> Ummm, doesn't that mean losing a lot of or at least some info about the
    >> messages too? The folder I'm saving to is new and empty.
    >>
    >> The NG is dead, most or all messages on the server have expired, so I
    >> can't download anything anew, should I loose anything by deleting the
    >> msf file.
    >>
    >> BR,
    >> Gudmund

    > msf files are only index files. They tell TB which way the sorting is,
    > which messages are labeled, flagged, etc. They do NOT contain the
    > messages themselves.

    I know they don't contain the messages themselves, and what you say us
    in the index files, are precisely such things that I want to keep with
    the messages.

    BR,
    Gudmund

  9. Re: How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder?

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Gudmund Areskoug_ spoke thusly on 01/06/2006 8:52 AM:
    >> I'm trying to copy across some messages I had downloaded for offline use
    >> from the old netscape.public.mozilla.calendar group to a local folder.
    >>
    >> All I get is the hour-glass. I can understand why I might be getting it
    >> if it's an expired non-offline message, but I don't see why I should be
    >> getting it with offline messages, whether I've set TB to offline or not.
    >>
    >> Any advice on how to copy the messages I want across, so I can get rid
    >> of the old NG? If I simply unsubscribe it, I'll lose all messages
    >> wholesale, including the ones I downloaded specifically for
    >> safekeeping... The old NG folder gives faulty "unread message"
    >> indications no matter how many times I set it to "read", despite no new
    >> messages coming in.

    > It may be trying to get the messages from the server, regardless if
    > they've been downloaded for offline reading. Thunderbird tends to do
    > that when trying to view the message source or viewing an attachment.
    >
    > Try this:
    > Close Thunderbird. In your profile folder, under
    > \News\news.mozilla.org\, there should not only be an MSF file for
    > netscape.public.mozilla.calendar, but one without an extension (ie.
    > "netscape.public.mozilla.calendar"). Copy that file to your local
    > folders account.

    Yes, that would be copying the message file, but it doesn't bring
    neither nor flags along.

    Oddly, after restarting TB today, the folder where I hade drag&dropped
    the messages I had wanted to keep, actually contained messages,
    including flags (and quite a few blanks, since I just selected all
    labelled messages, including non-offlines). But the labels still weren't
    there...

    I'll retry, in online mode, and let it do its thing while I have lunch.
    I doubt the labels will be brought along, though.

    BR,
    Gudmund

  10. Re: How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder?

    Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Gudmund Areskoug_ spoke thusly on 01/06/2006 8:52 AM:
    >>> I'm trying to copy across some messages I had downloaded for offline use
    >>> from the old netscape.public.mozilla.calendar group to a local folder.
    >>>
    >>> All I get is the hour-glass. I can understand why I might be getting it
    >>> if it's an expired non-offline message, but I don't see why I should be
    >>> getting it with offline messages, whether I've set TB to offline or not.
    >>>
    >>> Any advice on how to copy the messages I want across, so I can get rid
    >>> of the old NG? If I simply unsubscribe it, I'll lose all messages
    >>> wholesale, including the ones I downloaded specifically for
    >>> safekeeping... The old NG folder gives faulty "unread message"
    >>> indications no matter how many times I set it to "read", despite no new
    >>> messages coming in.

    >> It may be trying to get the messages from the server, regardless if
    >> they've been downloaded for offline reading. Thunderbird tends to do
    >> that when trying to view the message source or viewing an attachment.
    >>
    >> Try this:
    >> Close Thunderbird. In your profile folder, under
    >> \News\news.mozilla.org\, there should not only be an MSF file for
    >> netscape.public.mozilla.calendar, but one without an extension (ie.
    >> "netscape.public.mozilla.calendar"). Copy that file to your local
    >> folders account.

    > Yes, that would be copying the message file, but it doesn't bring
    > neither nor flags along.
    >
    > Oddly, after restarting TB today, the folder where I hade drag&dropped
    > the messages I had wanted to keep, actually contained messages,
    > including flags (and quite a few blanks, since I just selected all
    > labelled messages, including non-offlines). But the labels still weren't
    > there...
    >
    > I'll retry, in online mode, and let it do its thing while I have lunch.
    > I doubt the labels will be brought along, though.
    >
    > BR,
    > Gudmund

    ....and this time, it worked! Thanks for the suggestions, no idea why it
    didn't work first time around. I did give it about as much time back then.

    BR,
    Gudmund

  11. Re: How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder?

    On 02.06.2006 01:00 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Gudmund
    Areskoug to generate the following:? :

    >gwtc wrote:
    >

    >>Gudmund Areskoug wrote:

    >>>Ummm, doesn't that mean losing a lot of or at least some info about the
    >>>messages too? The folder I'm saving to is new and empty.
    >>>
    >>>The NG is dead, most or all messages on the server have expired, so I
    >>>can't download anything anew, should I loose anything by deleting the
    >>>msf file.
    >>>
    >>>BR,
    >>>Gudmund
    >>>

    >>msf files are only index files. They tell TB which way the sorting is,
    >>which messages are labeled, flagged, etc. They do NOT contain the
    >>messages themselves.
    >>

    >I know they don't contain the messages themselves, and what you say us
    >in the index files, are precisely such things that I want to keep with
    >the messages.
    >
    >BR,
    >Gudmund

    I remember ChrisI writing that you can copy the msf files to the new
    system... if you copy the message folders to the new system - under a
    *NEW NAME* of course - and take the respective msf files with you, it
    may work!

    reg

  12. Re: How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder?

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 02.06.2006 01:00 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Gudmund
    > Areskoug to generate the following:? :
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> msf files are only index files. They tell TB which way the sorting is,
    >>> which messages are labeled, flagged, etc. They do NOT contain the
    >>> messages themselves.
    >>>

    >> I know they don't contain the messages themselves, and what you say us
    >> in the index files, are precisely such things that I want to keep with
    >> the messages.
    >>
    >> BR,
    >> Gudmund
    >>

    > I remember ChrisI writing that you can copy the msf files to the new
    > system... if you copy the message folders to the new system - under a
    > *NEW NAME* of course - and take the respective msf files with you, it
    > may work!
    >
    > reg

    May, yes, that's one thing that puzzles me a bit:
    I remember trying more or less everything to bring my old Firebird NG
    messages along when the Firefox NG started, and it just wouldn't work,
    while I could simply copy the whole profile across and everything
    worked, when I switched to Portable Thunderbird.

    I'll experiment with it some, if/when I find the time. Problem solved
    for this particular case, though.

    BR,
    Gudmund

  13. Re: How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder?

    squaredancer wrote:

    > On 02.06.2006 01:00 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Gudmund
    > Areskoug to generate the following:? :
    >

    >>gwtc wrote:

    >>>msf files are only index files. They tell TB which way the sorting is,
    >>>which messages are labeled, flagged, etc. They do NOT contain the
    >>>messages themselves.
    >>>

    >>I know they don't contain the messages themselves, and what you say us
    >>in the index files, are precisely such things that I want to keep with
    >>the messages.
    >>
    >>BR,
    >>Gudmund
    >>

    > I remember ChrisI writing that you can copy the msf files to the new
    > system... if you copy the message folders to the new system - under a
    > *NEW NAME* of course - and take the respective msf files with you, it
    > may work!
    >
    > reg

    It seems to me, originally, the thinking was no you shouldn't do that.
    But now, I think its changed to now you can.

    --
    Interesting Modern Philosophies: The colder the X-ray table, the more
    of your body is required on it.

  14. Re: How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder?

    On 02.06.2006 10:58 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused gwtc to
    generate the following:? :

    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 02.06.2006 01:00 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Gudmund
    >> Areskoug to generate the following:? :

    >>> I know they don't contain the messages themselves, and what you say us
    >>> in the index files, are precisely such things that I want to keep with
    >>> the messages.
    >>>
    >>> BR,
    >>> Gudmund
    >>>

    >> I remember ChrisI writing that you can copy the msf files to the new
    >> system... if you copy the message folders to the new system - under a
    >> *NEW NAME* of course - and take the respective msf files with you, it
    >> may work!
    >>
    >> reg

    > It seems to me, originally, the thinking was no you shouldn't do that.
    > But now, I think its changed to now you can.

    another case of "Yes, you can't !! " ???

    reg

  15. Font size problems

    Hi all

    I have a very annoying problem with my font settings. I'm on the latest
    version of Tbird, and send and recieve emails in HTML format.

    Here's the problem:
    What I see in the compose window doesn't match what arrives in the
    recipient's inbox. I realise there are different settings that can
    affect what you see when you compose an email but I've tweaked all of
    these.

    Here's my settings:

    Options>Composition>HTML options: Font=Verdana Size=small
    (from my experiments this results in something approaching 9 or 10point
    text for the recipient, which is what I want to compose in)

    BUT, in order to keep it that size for the recipient I've found that I
    cannot compose emails in the same size font - if I try to up the size of
    the font I view when I compose it increases the size of the font that
    the recipient sees.
    The flawed workaround, then, is to have to have the following settings
    in my Options>Fonts settings:

    Proportional: Serif. Size=13
    Serif: Verdana
    Sans-serif: Verdana
    Min font size: none.

    Which, (oddly for 13pixels!), results in a tiny font in my composition
    window (looks something like 7pt text)! The recipient gets a nice 9-10pt
    font, but at my end the tiny font is too small for me to use. Besides, I
    want to see what my recipient is going to end up seeing...

    If I alter any of the above Options>Font settings (which the TB help
    site tells me should only alter the view I have locally, and not the
    actual font that is recieved) the recipient gets a hopelessly oversized
    font..

    I have double checked the HTML font options afterwards to make sure it
    hasn't been affected by the Options>Fonts changes, but it's still set to
    'small', so why on earth do people get something larger just because
    I've changed the way I view my composition/emails locally?

    Please can someone give me a clue as to what is going on? Is it time to
    uninstall/reinstall?
    Basically, all I want if for my composition window to match the font
    size that is actually sent - pretty simple 'feature' I would have thought!

    Many thanks in advance

    Chris

  16. Re: Font size problems

    Chris wrote:
    > Hi all
    >

    > I have a very annoying problem with my font settings. I'm on the latest
    > version of Tbird, and send and recieve emails in HTML format.

    Chris, I'm sure you didn't intend this to go into an existing thread
    about "How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder?".

    Please start a brand new thread for your question, and you'll increase
    your chances of getting an answer .

    BR,
    Gudmund

  17. Re: Font size problems

    Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all
    >>

    >>I have a very annoying problem with my font settings. I'm on the latest
    >>version of Tbird, and send and recieve emails in HTML format.

    > Chris, I'm sure you didn't intend this to go into an existing thread
    > about "How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder?".
    >
    > Please start a brand new thread for your question, and you'll increase
    > your chances of getting an answer .
    >
    > BR,
    > Gudmund

    Hi Gudmund

    sorry about that - I'm new to newsgroups and am using TB to access it.
    I've only just found out how to view by threads. I'm hoping that (as
    there's no 'add new thread' option in TB that my post will go to
    whatever level I'm viewing at the time (which is the top level
    unexpanded threads) so apologies if I post it again and it ends up here.

    Chris

  18. Re: Font size problems

    Chris wrote:
    > Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    >> Chris wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all
    >>>

    >>> I have a very annoying problem with my font settings. I'm on the latest
    >>> version of Tbird, and send and recieve emails in HTML format.

    >> Chris, I'm sure you didn't intend this to go into an existing thread
    >> about "How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder?".
    >>
    >> Please start a brand new thread for your question, and you'll increase
    >> your chances of getting an answer .
    >>
    >> BR,
    >> Gudmund

    > Hi Gudmund
    >
    > sorry about that - I'm new to newsgroups and am using TB to access it.
    > I've only just found out how to view by threads. I'm hoping that (as
    > there's no 'add new thread' option in TB that my post will go to
    > whatever level I'm viewing at the time (which is the top level
    > unexpanded threads) so apologies if I post it again and it ends up here.
    >
    > Chris

    No offense taken . Here's how to do it: while in the TB NG, just click
    on the "Write" button, or press Ctrl+M, and you'll see the correct
    address is already filled in.

    BR,
    Gudmund

  19. Re: Font size problems

    Chris wrote:

    > Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    >
    >>Chris wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi all
    >>>

    >>>I have a very annoying problem with my font settings. I'm on the latest
    >>>version of Tbird, and send and recieve emails in HTML format.

    >>Chris, I'm sure you didn't intend this to go into an existing thread
    >>about "How to copy offline messages from old NG to local folder?".
    >>
    >>Please start a brand new thread for your question, and you'll increase
    >>your chances of getting an answer .
    >>
    >>BR,
    >>Gudmund

    > Hi Gudmund
    >
    > sorry about that - I'm new to newsgroups and am using TB to access it.
    > I've only just found out how to view by threads. I'm hoping that (as
    > there's no 'add new thread' option in TB that my post will go to
    > whatever level I'm viewing at the time (which is the top level
    > unexpanded threads) so apologies if I post it again and it ends up here.
    >
    > Chris

    when you hit reply, your message will go under the message your
    replying to.

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #2: How come programmers find it so easy to
    master the special language that runs computers, yet those same folks

+ Reply to Thread