accessing my email from within LAN - Mozilla

This is a discussion on accessing my email from within LAN - Mozilla ; Hi, When I am at home, i would like to be able to use my laptop which also has TB installed on it, to read my email and newsgroups. I currently use the same settings as on my main PC, ...

  1. accessing my email from within LAN

    Hi,
    When I am at home, i would like to be able to use my laptop which also
    has TB installed on it, to read my email and newsgroups. I currently
    use the same settings as on my main PC, but set it to "leave message on
    server" so that when i go on the main PC, i get a copy of the mails
    again. This ensures the emails are always on the main PC, no matter
    what I do on the Laptop.

    With newsgroups though its a bit of a pain, as after I have read some
    messages on the laptop and go on the main PC, these messages are
    downloaded again and I have to mark as read the threads I have read
    already on the Laptop.

    Is there anyway with TB to share either my profile or newsgroup settings
    that are on my main PC with TB on the laptop, that way wherever I read
    newsgroups They are always marked read on my main pc.

    I only need this facility when I am at home and accessing my LAN.

    TIA

  2. Re: accessing my email from within LAN

    Rod wrote:
    > Hi,
    > When I am at home, i would like to be able to use my laptop which also
    > has TB installed on it, to read my email and newsgroups. I currently
    > use the same settings as on my main PC, but set it to "leave message on
    > server" so that when i go on the main PC, i get a copy of the mails
    > again. This ensures the emails are always on the main PC, no matter
    > what I do on the Laptop.
    >
    > With newsgroups though its a bit of a pain, as after I have read some
    > messages on the laptop and go on the main PC, these messages are
    > downloaded again and I have to mark as read the threads I have read
    > already on the Laptop.
    >
    > Is there anyway with TB to share either my profile or newsgroup settings
    > that are on my main PC with TB on the laptop, that way wherever I read
    > newsgroups They are always marked read on my main pc.
    >
    > I only need this facility when I am at home and accessing my LAN.

    Perhaps you'd do well trying Portable Thunderbird:

    http://portableapps.com/apps/interne...le_thunderbird

    This is what I use, on a portable USB hard drive (essentially a standard
    2.5" laptop harddrive in a casing), to solve the problem you describe.

    Instead of backing up *to* the portable USB, I back up to my PC's and/or
    my laptop.

    Only adverse effects I've observed so far:
    - Some junk mails seem to be slipping through, despite continuous training
    - TB might run a bit slower than before, but this might in my case be
    due to having rather large mail files...

    BR,
    Gudmund

+ Reply to Thread