Random sigs with signature switch - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Random sigs with signature switch - Mozilla ; How do I get this to work? Thunderbird 1.5.0.2, Sig Switch 1.2.1. I've tried to follow the instructions on in the FAQ at http://www.achimonline.de/mozext/sig..._signature.php That is, I've created a text file containing something on the lines of: Steve $ Random ...

  1. Random sigs with signature switch

    How do I get this to work? Thunderbird 1.5.0.2, Sig Switch 1.2.1.

    I've tried to follow the instructions on in the FAQ at
    http://www.achimonline.de/mozext/sig..._signature.php

    That is, I've created a text file containing something on the lines of:

    Steve
    $
    Random Quote 1
    %
    Random Quote 2
    %
    Random Quote 3

    (end of file)

    and set this as my default signature. What I get is the entire file as
    my sig, rather than the permanent part, 'Steve', followed by one of the
    random quotes. It feels as if there should be another stage in the
    process, but what have I missed out?

    Steve

  2. Re: Random sigs with signature switch

    Stephen Gynn wrote:

    > How do I get this to work? Thunderbird 1.5.0.2, Sig Switch 1.2.1.
    >
    > I've tried to follow the instructions on in the FAQ at
    > http://www.achimonline.de/mozext/sig..._signature.php
    >
    > That is, I've created a text file containing something on the lines of:
    >
    > Steve
    > $
    > Random Quote 1
    > %
    > Random Quote 2
    > %
    > Random Quote 3
    >
    > (end of file)
    >
    > and set this as my default signature. What I get is the entire file as
    > my sig, rather than the permanent part, 'Steve', followed by one of the
    > random quotes. It feels as if there should be another stage in the
    > process, but what have I missed out?
    >
    > Steve

    why not contact the author and ask him:
    http://www.achimonline.de/mozext/email.php

    --
    Interesting Mother Trivia: Eric Clapton was born to an unwed mother
    and to shield him from the shame, Eric grew up believing that his

  3. Re: Random sigs with signature switch

    gwtc wrote:
    > Stephen Gynn wrote:
    >
    >> How do I get this to work? Thunderbird 1.5.0.2, Sig Switch 1.2.1.
    >>
    >> I've tried to follow the instructions on in the FAQ at
    >> http://www.achimonline.de/mozext/sig..._signature.php
    >>
    >> That is, I've created a text file containing something on the lines of:
    >>
    >> Steve
    >> $
    >> Random Quote 1
    >> %
    >> Random Quote 2
    >> %
    >> Random Quote 3
    >>
    >> (end of file)
    >>
    >> and set this as my default signature. What I get is the entire file
    >> as my sig, rather than the permanent part, 'Steve', followed by one
    >> of the random quotes. It feels as if there should be another stage
    >> in the process, but what have I missed out?
    >>
    >> Steve

    > why not contact the author and ask him:
    > http://www.achimonline.de/mozext/email.php

    I have done... just thought someone here might know.

    Steve

  4. Re: Random sigs with signature switch

    Stephen Gynn typed the following on 5/14/2006 7:11 PM:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Stephen Gynn wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do I get this to work? Thunderbird 1.5.0.2, Sig Switch 1.2.1.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried to follow the instructions on in the FAQ at
    >>> http://www.achimonline.de/mozext/sig..._signature.php
    >>>
    >>> That is, I've created a text file containing something on the lines of:
    >>>
    >>> Steve
    >>> $
    >>> Random Quote 1
    >>> %
    >>> Random Quote 2
    >>> %
    >>> Random Quote 3
    >>>
    >>> (end of file)
    >>>
    >>> and set this as my default signature. What I get is the entire file
    >>> as my sig, rather than the permanent part, 'Steve', followed by one
    >>> of the random quotes. It feels as if there should be another stage
    >>> in the process, but what have I missed out?
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> why not contact the author and ask him:
    >> http://www.achimonline.de/mozext/email.php
    >>

    > I have done... just thought someone here might know.
    >
    > Steve

    It seems to work for me. If you like, I'll send you my fortune cookie file off-list.

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

  5. Re: Random sigs with signature switch

    Stephen Gynn wrote:
    > How do I get this to work? Thunderbird 1.5.0.2, Sig Switch 1.2.1.
    >
    > I've tried to follow the instructions on in the FAQ at
    > http://www.achimonline.de/mozext/sig..._signature.php
    >
    > That is, I've created a text file containing something on the lines of:
    >
    > Steve
    > $
    > Random Quote 1
    > %
    > Random Quote 2
    > %
    > Random Quote 3
    >
    > (end of file)
    >
    > and set this as my default signature. What I get is the entire file as
    > my sig, rather than the permanent part, 'Steve', followed by one of the
    > random quotes. It feels as if there should be another stage in the
    > process, but what have I missed out?
    >
    > Steve

    Is that really a dollar sign after Steve???

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

  6. Re: Random sigs with signature switch

    Stephen Gynn wrote:

    > How do I get this to work? Thunderbird 1.5.0.2, Sig Switch 1.2.1.
    >
    > I've tried to follow the instructions on in the FAQ at
    > http://www.achimonline.de/mozext/sig..._signature.php
    >
    > That is, I've created a text file containing something on the lines of:
    >
    > Steve
    > $
    > Random Quote 1
    > %
    > Random Quote 2
    > %
    > Random Quote 3
    >
    > (end of file)
    >
    > and set this as my default signature. What I get is the entire file as
    > my sig, rather than the permanent part, 'Steve', followed by one of the
    > random quotes. It feels as if there should be another stage in the
    > process, but what have I missed out?

    I create a set of files called sigXXXXX.txt, each of which contains
    a possible signature. Then I set the reader to use sig.txt as the
    actual sig file. All of these are in the same directory, with
    known name. Then I create a short script, whose function is to
    copy "sigPARM1.txt" into "sig.txt" in that known directory. To
    change sigs I just run the script with the appropriate XXXXX as the
    parameter.

    Another useful script displays the names and descriptions of all
    files (in that directory) named sig*.txt. The descriptions come
    from using 4dos, and may not be feasible in other systems.
    Actually, for 4dos, the scripts are simply aliases. The 4dos
    aliases below are all one line each.

    [1] c:\netscape\users\cbf\mail>alias setsig
    copy /q c:\netscape\users\cbf\sig%1%.txt
    c:\netscape\users\cbf\sig.txt ^ cat c:\netscape\users\cbf\sig.txt

    [1] c:\netscape\users\cbf\mail>alias showsigs
    de c:\netscape\users\cbf\sig*.txt

    where de is another alias that displays the description.

    More details at:
    Also see

+ Reply to Thread